The Twenty-Third Chapter

Turning Page
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Twenty-Third Chapter

 

Fluffs of snow were falling slowly down the ground outside the window of Daesom’s hospital room. It was a beautiful scene and Sehun was sure that Daesom would love it if she saw. But the said girl was unconscious on her bed, still and silent. Since she was transferred here from the emergency room, Sehun never left her side and grasped her hand like it was his lifeline. Five hours had already passed since her crisis but she was still asleep. He watched her the whole time and he noticed how her pale skin turned into a yellowish color now. According to Yixing earlier, it wasn’t a good sign.

 

“Like I’ve told you before, Daesom’s case is quite unpredictable. Two weeks ago, I observed signs of progress on her condition and I honestly thought that the treatment was serving her right.” Yixing began on his explanation as Sehun, Kris, Daehyun and Tao listened to him intently.  “But after checking on her again earlier, her red blood cells have started to sickle again and her white blood cells are multiplying at an abnormal rate.”

 

The expressions on the boys’ faces turned even grimmer. Sehun could remember some of his past lessons on biology before and a high number of white blood cells indicated leukemia or certain infections in the body. The doctor scanned Daesom’s files as he continued to talk.

 

“But that isn’t all.” The calm and detached tone that Yixing was using turned into a deeply concerned one and Sehun knew that the worst was yet to come. “Her acute chest syndrome has affected her liver and kidneys already, and it’s now an acute multiple organ failure. This calls a need for more blood transfusions for her, hydroxyurea and oxygen therapy but that wouldn’t be enough.”

 

“Then what more can we do?” Daehyun asked desperately.

 

“Blood and marrow stem cell transplant. It is risky and if Daesom’s body won’t accept it, it may lead to more severe conditions, or even death. But if it would work, Daesom could have a normal life again. However, the stem cells that would be used should come from a closely matched donor who is not affected by the disease. I thought it could work with Daehyun donating but it’s regrettable to find out that after testing him before, his cells aren’t matched well with Daesom’s.”

 

“And now the only one who could save her is our father.” Daehyun whispered morosely.

 

“Only if he doesn’t have the sickle cell trait, too.” Yixing reminded.

 

“What about noona’s mom? Her real mom?” Tao suggested, still sniffing from his crying earlier.

 

Daehyun shook his head. “I have no idea where she is right now, or if she’s even alive. Our father had too many mistresses in the past.”

 

“Well, isn’t there anything more that you can offer? We can’t just leave things like this. Daesom needs to live.” Kris looked like he was barely holding on and there was a telltale sign of tears on his eyes.

 

“Gene therapy, but unfortunately, scientists here in Korea are still working on it since it’s still under research. But Daehyun here had already found a Canadian hematologist who could be of more help, didn’t you, Daehyun-ssi?” Yixing looked intently at Daesom’s brother.

 

The latter nodded slowly. “He’s been specializing in sickle cell diseases for a long time already. I’ve sent him the medical files that Dr. Zhang gave me so he could study it. The only thing I need now is Daesom’s consent to come back to Canada and get treated there.” Daehyun turned to Sehun as he spoke, his eyes holding a pleading look in them.

 

Sehun, who had stayed quiet the entire conversation, hung his head low and closed his eyes. After a few seconds, a barely perceptible nod was his answer. She was his life, but he knew he needed to let her go.

 

Daesom’s hand twitched in his hold and her forehead creased. Sehun waited for her to open her eyes and when she did, he was the very first person she saw. They were the only ones in the room since Kris took Tao home while Daehyun was still talking with Yixing.

 

A small smile appeared on her lips; her eyes blinking numerous times, perhaps trying to adjust her vision to see Sehun clearer. “I’m sorry if I worried you earlier.” Daesom’s voice was hoarse when she apologized.

 

Sehun clutched her hand with both of his and kissed the back of her palm softly. “Don’t be sorry. But I got really scared. How are you feeling?”

 

She let out an exhausted sigh. “Definitely not good.” Her eyes scanned the room and then she asked, “Are Kris and Tao still here?”

 

“Kris took Tao home. Tao wanted to stay but his parents wanted him to come home already. Your brother is here, too. He’s talking with Dr. Zhang.” Mentioning Daehyun made Sehun’s chest feel heavy again. He remembered what they talked about earlier and he dreaded letting Daesom know.

 

Daesom noticed his restlessness and she brought the hand he was holding to his face, gently caressing his cheek. “Is something wrong?”

 

He bravely met Daesom’s gaze but kept his mouth shut. She tried to read his face and after staring at each other for what felt like forever, realization dawned on Daesom. She closed her eyes with a heavy sigh and spoke in a barely audible voice. “I really don’t want to leave but I don’t want to die this early, too. I want to be together with you for a long time.” Her eyes glistened with tears as she opened them. “Are you going to be alright without me?”

 

“I’ll try to, I’ll manage to. Just come back to me, okay?” Sehun leaned against the touch of the cold skin of her palm. His tears had started trickling down his face, too. He wanted to be there with her and be her strength but he couldn’t leave his responsibilities in Korea.

 

“I promise I’ll come back. But if you feel like I’m taking too long, come to me as soon as you can. Whoever comes first, alright?” Daesom struggled to sit up and wrapped her arms around Sehun’s shoulders. He hugged her waist and cried like a baby, unable to let her go.

 

“I love you. I love you so much and I’ll always will.” Sehun sobbed brokenly.

 

Daesom pressed her lips on the top of his head. “I love you, too, Sehun.”

 

-

 

They waited two weeks for Daesom’s condition to stabilize so that she would be fit for travel overseas. College classes resumed again but Sehun filed a leave of absence so that he could be with Daesom for the remaining time. He also resigned from his part time job at the tea shop; he had a lot of savings on his bank account anyway. Daesom was the only thing that mattered to him right now.

 

Daesom’s friends together with Jongin and Chanyeol would visit from time to time, aside from Tao and Kris, and Sehun was glad for it because it cheered Daesom up. At night, she would have her usual crises – the chest pains, breathing problems, throbbing headaches – and Sehun was always there holding her hand, trying to make her feel even a little better. He didn’t like how it was affecting her br

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter