Chapter 2: The ert and the Hard-Working

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2 years later

“I don’t wanna go!” 

I clasp my hands onto the sides of my head after hearing him scream those very words for the umpteenth time. “Joonie, it’s not bad. I promise to come and pick you up as soon as you’re done.” I said while trying to pry his little fingers off my knees. Yet, he had made no indications of budging or listening to my persuasive words.

We were so close to the door, just one more step…

“Mama! I don’t wanna go!” He cried out. His hands were clutching tighter to the point where he was digging his nails into my bare leg. He brought his legs out and wrapped it around my ankle, sitting comfortably on my foot. 

He obviously thought this through.

“Joonie, it’s only school!” I said back exasperatedly. “You already went through pre-k, it’s not different.” I reached down and picked him up. “You’ll have lots of fun making friends, so let’s listen to mama, okay?”

Ever since I took Joon in, I decided to drop out of college in order to find jobs quickly as means to take care of him. I was willing to do anything to make his life more comfortable, normal. There was also another big change, maybe because Joon missed his mom very much that one day he decided to call me mom. I did try to correct him in the beginning but he refused to change and soon after, I just allowed him to call me whatever made him comfortable. But, each time it would make me think about my sister and how she would feel about it, if she knew.

“Mama, I promise to be good.” He tried to compromise through his whines. 

“Joonie, that’s not going to work.” For a young boy, Joon’s mind worked really quickly and it was scary. I was afraid to know what else he would be capable of in just another year.

Not getting what he wanted quickly enough, he was left with no choice. Staring up at me, he offered me his famous puppy look that almost always guarantees victory. Honestly, this worked for the first year we were together but now, I have proudly become immune to it.

“Not today.” I stated with my determination unwavering. I set him down and he stood before me.

“But mama…” His voice cracked. I knew his game well enough by now.

“Not falling for it.”

Almost immediately, his face relaxed and he turned around to pick up his small pororo backpack that was previously lying forgotten on the floor.

“I hate you.” He mutters before walking through the opened front door.

“And I love you.” I answered back and watched from behind as his shoulders slumped. Locking the door behind me, I quickly ushered him forward and into the car. 

Arriving before his first day could begin, we walked into the school and I greeted his new teacher.

She crouched down and smiled. “So, this is Kim Joon.”

I smiled before placing my hand on his head. “Yes, please take care of him.” Joon continued to stand there and refused to say a word. “I’m sorry he doesn’t speak much.”

She nodded. “That’s alright, he’ll get used to it quickly.” I tried to let go of Joon’s little hand but he only gripped tighter. I laughed weakly, “Joonie, I’ll be back at 2, okay?” The teacher reached out and took his little hand, trying to help me out. 

Watching him get dragged away did stir some pity within me but remembering this was something I somewhat expected, the pity didn't last. 

“Joonie, be good for mama!” I yelled after him before the door to the classroom closed behind them.

***

“Good morning, Mr. Bang.” I tried to keep up with the speedy CEO. He was old but his legs worked better than mine. Maybe because he wasn’t wearing these problematic heels. “Here is your schedule for the day and I will call you to remind you about the lunch date today with Mr. Yoo.” Mr. Bang Minyun is a fair boss but he is also very demanding, he likes to get what he wants done and there are no excuses accepted.  

He nodded and took the file from my hand.  I was following quite well until he stopped abruptly, causing me to stumble back slightly. Suddenly, he pivots and faces me. “I like you, Ms. Kim.”

I nodded at his sudden randomness, unsure where he was going with this.

“My son is coming today and it would be in your best interest to stay away from him.”

I couldn’t get my words out fast enough before he turned back around and wal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter