Chapter 21: It Was Just A Bad Day

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was so focused on my work that I didn’t know someone was standing in front of me until they cleared their throat. I slowly looked up to even my gaze with manicured and painted nails, tapping on my desk. My eyes continued to move up until I met eyes with her.

“Is Yongguk here?” Minhee asked as she continued her incessant tapping.

“I’m sorry, I’m Mr. Bang’s secretary, not Yongguk’s.” I kept my tone polite. I didn’t need another repeated incident. It would only take away the time I had to finish my work.

She looked at me as I returned my focus back onto the paperwork.

“What is up between the two of you?”

The question caught me off guard but I easily brushed it off. My attention was still on the paperwork when I answered. “What do you mean?”

“You guys seem…close.”

“What would give you that idea, Ms. Choi?” I questioned nonchalantly.

She leaned forward and I looked up to see her face just a few inches from mine. “I’ve seen how you acted around each other when we were at the resort so I know you’re hiding something Shiwon.” She said my name mockingly as she eyed my name tag.

Geez, what a nasty girl. I ignored my internal judging of her character and stretched my lips into a small smile. “I’m not ashamed of anything so what is there do I need to hide?”

“What the hell does that mean?” She asked in a low tone.

“I work as a secretary for Mr. Bang. I earn a humble salary. I don’t do drugs or drink alcohol. I don’t get in trouble with the law. And lastly, I have a son.”

She blinked in surprise. “…You have a son?”

“Yes so whatever you think that may be going on between Yongguk and me, it’s impossible.” I said before grabbing the pile of files and standing. “If you like to see Yongguk, please speak with the secretary there.” I bowed and left my desk to go into the filing room.

I was putting away the files when my phone buzzed in my blazer’s pocket. I pulled it out to see the unknown caller. “Hello?”

“Ms. Kim Shiwon?”

“Yes, this is me.”

“Hi, I’m calling from the Gu Law Firm. I understand that you are the legal guardian of Kim Joon?”

“Yes, I am.” I’m sure he could hear the confusion in my voice.

“I’m calling about Kim Joon’s inheritance. It has been three years since the death of his parents and he is now eligible to earn his inheritance.”

That’s right. It totally slipped my mind. It’s nearing Joon’s parents’ death anniversary and that also means his birthday was coming up. “Oh I see. Thank you for giving me this call.”

“I also would like to mention that all family members are also alerted. It’s normal procedure since they could also be mentioned in the will.”

***

Like what Wonnie suggested, Minhee made her way down to the right floor. She walked up to the secretary and asked to speak to Yongguk. Without much bullying, Minhee got what she wanted and entered his office.

Yongguk was busy calculating numbers that he didn’t bother to look up. “What is it?”

“Are you busy?”

At the sound of the voice, Yongguk looked up blankly. “Why are you here?”

Minhee frowned at how unwelcoming he was. “I’m here to visit you!” She whined a little as she took a seat at his desk.

He looked back down at his work. “I’m busy.”

She sat there and watched him continue to scribble on the paper. There was numbers everywhere. Based on what she heard, Yongguk shouldn’t be this hardworking, right? Everyone said he was immature and only wanted to play but she was witnessing the opposite.

“Are you not going to talk to me?” Minhee asked when it looked like Yongguk wasn’t going to say anything else.

“Minhee, I have to finish this for my dad.” Yongguk sighed. Couldn’t she see he was too busy to play with her? Even he has more fun when he hangs out with Joon. And he doesn’t ever really play with kids. Now that he was thinking about that, Joon has somehow become an exception to that rule.

Minhee’s lips twisted into a pout. Fine, there may not be anything going on between Shiwon and Yongguk but she didn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter