Chapter 5: Punishment(?)

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day started all over again and I figured it wouldn't be any different than the previous. I dropped Joon off at school in the morning and with some time before my shift, I went to get some coffee. For some particular reason, it was awfully hard to get out of bed this morning. Maybe it had something to do with the nagging headache I found myself bothered with as soon I had woken up.

Hopefully, this coffee run will help wake me up a bit and when I have time, I’ll go buy some pain killers. With the cup in my hand, I walked out of the coffee shop but to only stop when a couple standing in front the doorway blocked my movements. I saw the girl bring her hand down onto the unidentifiable man’s cheek. My shock wasn't really due to the action, rather it was the sound that brought me pitying the guy. Ouch.

Soon, the man was no longer unidentifiable.

Yup, my eyes couldn't be wrong - it was definitely Yongguk. The oh-so-impressive Mr. Bang’s not-so-serious son, Bang Yongguk.

Well, this is awkward.

I pressed my lips together and shifted over so to go around, not wanting to disturb them. It seems she was really angry and I had a feeling he wasn't making the situation any better. 

“You, jerk! You used me and now you’re just going to toss me aside?!” She screamed loudly, unaware of the people that were starting to stare. 

Before I was completely around her, she grabbed my hot coffee and tossed it at Yongguk. The steaming liquid mostly landed on his chest and the scorching heat sends him whimpering in pain. To ease it as much as he could, he hastily pulled the drenched t-shirt away from his body with his fingers. 

“What the hell are you doing?” He yelled back at her once composing himself. 

“Giving you what you deserve.” She threw the now empty cup on the ground and stomped away in anger.

I looked down at my now empty hand. I didn’t even get to taste it and now Yongguk was wearing it. He looked from his shirt and up to me.  His eyes widened at the realization who that coffee had belonged to.

“You –“ Yongguk started to say before I looked down at my watch and noticed that I was going to be late for work if I didn’t leave now.

“Look, I didn’t see anything.” Just in case he was going to give me some speech on staying quiet about his humiliation. It wasn’t my problem so I didn’t care to even mention it to anybody. But, it’s not like it would taint his image any further. You couldn’t harm something that was already damaged to begin with. “I have to go.” I disappeared down the sidewalk to my car.

When I arrived at work and parked, I noticed a motorcycle pull up to the spot next to me. I mean how could I not? The noise sounded ten times louder with my headache. Not paying too much attention to it, I get out. I didn't get too far until I heard footsteps slowing down to match my pace beside me. 

“Wonnie, I wasn’t done talking to you.”

“I have a responsibility to get to work.”

“Are you always so serious?”

I looked at Yongguk. Was it my fault for not being carefree like him? I decided that that question wasn’t even worth a response. And I knew this constant communication will never end if I gave him an answer. So, I decided on silence. 

“Aren’t you going to ask if I’m okay at least?”

We weren’t that close for me to worry about him. “I didn’t feel like I needed to.”

He cleared his throat. “Then, what are you going to do about my shirt?” He got onto the elevator with me. 

“You should get it cleaned.”

“I said ‘you’.”

“Why would I do anything?”

“Because it’s your coffee.”

“That your girlfriend took from my hand to throw at you.”

“She wasn’t my girlfriend.”

The elevator stopped on my floor and I quickly got off. Of course, Yongguk also followed to my displeasure.

“Right, your ex-girlfriend.” I corrected myself. This headache was slowly spreading to my entire head all thanks to him. I placed my hand up and rubbed my temple, hoping it would make the pain better because one thing for sure - it wasn't going to disappear as long as Yongguk is here. 

“She wasn’t my ex-girlfriend either.”

I stopped and turned around to face him. “Okay, it really doesn’t matter. Honestly, I should be demanding a replacement for my coffee but I’m not.”

“And?”

He honestly doesn’t know where I’m going with this?

“Since I’m not complaining, I think you should also stop.” With that, I spun around and walked to my desk. I was taking off my jacket when Yongguk placed his arm on the counter and rested his head on his palm. It seems he's not finished with his daily task of annoying me yet. 

If I pretend he isn’t here, he’ll probably get bored and leave, right?

“Yongguk.”

I was saved. I looked up to see Mr. Bang walk over towards us.

“What did you do to your shirt? Miss your mouth?”

Please make him leave somehow. To do anything that will remove Yongguk from my sight. 

“Very funny, old man.” Yongguk laughed mockingly but it was suddenly replaced by an expression of genuine bliss. “You said you got something for me.” I was sure I saw him bouncing in anticipation.

Mr. Bang digs into his pocket and pulls out a card. “Here.” I could almost see the regret oozing from Mr. Bang. I’m sure it hurt to hand over that card to someone as irresponsible as Yongguk. “There’s a limit.”

Immediately, I saw the grin on Yongguk’s face disappear simultaneously when his father said that. “What’s good about a card that has a limit?”

I was the one responsible for setting up that card and truthfully, the limit wasn’t much of a limit. In fact it was a sad excuse of a limit. I could live off of that money for a whole year without complaint. But, I didn’t grow up around money like this guy over here.

“What’s good of a card if you make me go bankrupt?” His dad retorted.

Yong Guk snorted. “You’re exaggerating.”

“Do you want to see the bills?” To that, Yongguk provides no answer and I, who have been minding my own business

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter