Chapter 27: When the World Suddenly Fell Apart

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ow!”

A sharp shriek that followed the shattering crash sent me running out of my room. Joon was standing in the kitchen clutching his hand and without waiting a second longer, I hurried over and moved him away from the glass pieces of what once was a bowl. And to my surprise, I found another presence beside me.

“Hey little man, you okay?” Yongguk’s raspy voice still held sleep and his hair was sticking up in various places. Joon’s scream was the perfect wake up alarm apparently.

We both kneeled in front of him. “Honey, let me see your hand.” I gently took hold of his hand, making sure not to touch his cut on his palm. Fortunately, it wasn’t too deep and I looked up at him. I was fully expecting a face drenched with tears – but what I saw was Joon desperately trying to suppress his crying instincts.

“Doesn’t look too bad.” Yongguk says in relief. He looked at Joon. “Look at you being a big boy.” Yong Guk said proudly when he saw how calm Joon was trying to be and flashed his gummy smile.

Unlike Yongguk, I was still worried. “Does it hurt?”

Joon shook his head and pressed his lips together. “Are you mad?” His voice gave way to his emotions.

“No, but why didn’t you tell me to get it for you?” I asked him curiously.

“I’m six and I can do it now.”

I chuckled.  “You can still ask me for help.”

“But, I’m a big boy now.”

I nodded in understanding. So big boys got their own breakfast and didn’t cry. “Then you should be able to wash your hand for me, right?”

He nodded and ran towards the sink. I watched as he pulled his small stool over to reach the sink. Yongguk followed after him just in case he needed to provide any assistance and I went over to the cupboard to get the first aid kit. I glanced at Joon who was concentrated on cleaning his cut and Yongguk peering from behind.

What an eventful morning. But, they were here and I wasn’t complaining.

***

“You look better today.” Mr. Bang comments as he gives me a side glance. My lips automatically curve into a small smile hearing that.

“I feel better.” I looked at him and noticed his complexion. “You also look like you got some color back into your face, sir.”

He sighs and pats his cheeks. “That’s what I thought. The hospital wanted to keep me longer.” He makes a face of displeasure.

I chuckled. “Have you been taking your medications on time?”

He blinked at me in surprise and provided no response. And seeing him like this, I already knew the answer. “I will have the tea you will prepare with the medications.” He finally responds with a guilty smile.

I nodded with a knowing smile. “Anything, sir.”

I took care of Mr. Bang and got back to my desk. With everything working out smoothly, my mind could finally rest easy and focus on the work needed to get done. I was ready for whatever that was coming my way.

“I need to see Bang Yongguk.”

…I was ready for everything but that. I looked up to meet Minhee’s attention. “Ms. Choi, I’ve already told you I’m not his secretary.”

“You look…” She started to say but trailed off. I wasn’t sure if her next word was going to be a compliment or an insult. “…calm.”

I nodded my head, unsure of how I was supposed to take it. But I honestly didn’t care. “Thanks, Ms. Choi.”

Without another comment, she turned around and walked towards the elevator. Obviously heading to where Yongguk was and I could finally get back to my work.

***

Minhee clenched her hands at her sides as she made her way up to Yongguk’s office. She wanted to see Shiwon’s current state but Shiwon had looked at ease. It wasn’t what she was expecting and it bothered her.

Minhee wanted to see a panicked Shiwon but she never got the satisfaction to witness it.

She made quick steps up to Yongguk’s office door. Before announcing her presence, she went ahead and pushed the door open. Once again, she found Yongguk busy scribbling.

He looked up for a second then went back to his task. “What is it now?” He was really hoping Minhee wouldn’t make visiting him a habit but he may be disappointed if he wished the impossible.

Minhee pressed her lips together unhappily. Couldn’t he at least act happy to see her? She forced a smile and gracefully sat down across from him. “How are you?”

“Fine.” Yongguk answered without looking up.

The unhappiness didn’t go away. “Are you busy?” She tried softening her tone to not sound angry.

“Yes.”

Minhee gritted her teeth. “Can you at least look at me when you speak to me?”

Yongguk looked up blankly at her. “Minhee, I don’t know what you want from me. You can’t just come here and expect me to drop my work to hang out with you.” He answered her sternly. Honestly, he was still unhappy about the fact that she had spilled the secret about him living with Wonnie.

Although it turned out fine, Yongguk couldn’t ignore the possibility that Wonnie could have gotten fired over Minhee’s nosey act. 

“Sorry, you want to get done early so you can go home to your pretend family?” Minhee retorted sharply. When she saw him clench his jaw she knew she was finally getting a reaction from him.

“Minhee, go home.” Yongguk firmly stated. He didn’t want to lose his cool.

“Stop trying to act mature.” She smirked to emphasize the taunt. Sure, Yongguk may somehow had grown up and stepped up to responsibility these past few months but she knew it was all a front. “You’re just pretending. Living with your father’s secretary isn’t going to make you grown up. We all know who you really are.” Yongguk was irresponsible and he played around and Minhee knew that behind this sudden change, Shiwon had something to do with it. Min Hee didn’t like this hold that the other young woman seemed to have over him.

The same hold Minhee couldn’t seem to be able to break.

“So who am I, exactly?” Yongguk kept his voice dangerously low.

She stood up and leaned over the desk, bringing her face up to his. “Obviously not this.” She motioned around the office. “What did Shiwon say to you that got you working here like a dog?”

He doesn’t respond.

“She’s just tricking you, Yongguk. She’s just some trash trying to gain something from you.”

That was it. “Get out.” Yongguk’s words held warning but Minhee doesn’t budge. “Don’t you dare speak about her like that.”

She scoffed. “Like wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter