Chapter 9: Wasn't What He Quite Expected

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongguk had spent all morning and most of the day pacing around. He thought of a lot of possible scenarios in his mind of what he was going to say to Wonnie but he wasn’t sure what to do yet. She could still be angry at him, she was angry enough to smack him and he didn’t know if a simple ‘sorry’ would be enough. He looked at his watch, his indecisiveness had taken so much time. It was already 5 in the afternoon.

Great.

Half a day, gone just like that. If he didn’t leave soon, she wouldn’t be there anymore. He grabbed his jacket off the couch to leave his flat. Even if he wasn’t ready, he’ll just wing it. After all, it just has to end with him saying sorry for yesterday.

He paused at the door. Wait, why was he the one apologizing? She was the person that smacked him. The physical force was kind of uncalled for.

He tapped his head.

He was unconsciously talking himself out of it. He took a deep breath, he needed to do this.

And, she better appreciates this.

He closed the door behind him and headed down to his motorcycle. He sped out the parking garage and headed to the company. He was getting all jittery as the elevator got closer to his destination. He tried to calm himself down, telling himself that it wasn’t a big deal. But, no matter how much he tries to make it insignificant, it only reinforces how much he knew it was a big deal. He never really apologized to anyone but, Himchan had said it was the best way of getting rid of this stupid feeling whirling inside him and he was going to say the two magic words in order to do that.

He gets off the floor and sees the desk in sight but…no one was there. He gets closer and it was pretty clear to him that it was empty, there were no files or any paperwork. He stopped a passing office worker. “Do you know where Wonnie is?”

She thought for a second, there wasn’t anyone by the name ‘Wonnie’ working here. But, she glances at his finger that pointed at the secretarial desk. “Do you mean Shiwon?”

He nodded. “Yeah, did you she already leave?” He looked at his watch. It was only 5:30 PM, it was still quite early.

She nodded. “Shiwon got done early and Mr. Bang allowed her to leave.”

He nods. “Thanks.” He scratched his head, not knowing what to do next. But, there was one thing he knew for sure, he didn’t want to sit around another day with this so called feeling of guilt. He groans to himself,  figuring out there was another option left. He didn't like the idea but it would be effective. 

He walks over to the office door and hesitates on asking for help. Taking in a deep breath, he knocks twice and waits for the acknowledgment.

“Turn around and shut the door after you.” His dad says as soon as Yongguk walks inside. So, this was where Wonnie learned about the shooing method.

Yongguk scrunches his face and doesn't hesitate to disobey the orders. “I don’t want to be here either.” He childishly responds. He closes the door and walks over to take a seat at the desk.

“I’m not giving you another credit card.” His dad says without looking up from his paperwork.

“That’s not what I’m here for.” Yongguk crosses one leg over the other.

His dad peers at him from over his glasses. “I’m not giving you any of the female workers’ numbers.”

Yongguk narrows his eyes. “That’s not it either.”

The older man thought for a moment. “Okay, I don’t know have anything else.”

Yongguk pursed his lips. He can’t believe that his own dad only thought of him as a money leech and a aasanova. “Tell me where Wonnie lives.”

“Who’s Wonnie?”

“Shi. Won.” Yong Guk emphasized the two syllables. “What’s her address?”

“No way.” His dad denies immediately before getting back to his work.

“I need it.”

“What for?”

“I need to say something to her.”

“I’m not giving you her address so you can harass her. I don’t want to deal with another lawsuit.” Although Mr. Bang knows that Shiwon would never do that, he likes her and he wasn’t having his idiot of a son to be the cause of her quitting. The thought of losing his organized work schedule now further encouraged him to not ever let it happen. 

“I’m not going there to harass her.” Yongguk scoffed at how his father thought of him.

“Then, what for? Be specific.”

Yongguk coughed and cleared his throat. “To…” 

“Huh?” His father leaned closer to hear. “What did you say?”

“To….” Yongguk said the last part softly again. Not confident in saying it normally.

“Speak up, idiot.” His dad scolded him.

“To apologize!” Yongguk answered impatiently. “God, your hearing is failing, old man.” Looking away for a moment, he wasn't ready to hear what his dad has to say. This would be the type of situation where his unwanted remarks would be said. Except, he was met with silence and it spurred him to face his dad once more. “What?” What is that expression?

“Maybe my hearing is indeed failing. Did you just say you wanted to apologize?” His dad asked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter