Chapter 20: When Leaving Two Children Together

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That’s right, what should Yongguk worry about? It was only a kiss that he shared with Wonnie. He even kissed that girl last night and it didn’t bother him. It was an action that he was pretty much used to. He did it all the time without being troubled, so why did it matter now? Well, it shouldn’t.

Yongguk had been awake for the past three hours but has yet to get up from the couch. And it was within these three hours that he has been trying to hypnotize himself – trying his best to tell himself that he shouldn’t be awkward anymore.

He blinks back from his thoughts when he hears a door creaking open. At the thought it might be Wonnie’s, Yongguk’s heart involuntarily raced. But, he immediately relaxed seeing the young boy. “Oh, you’re up, little man?”

Joon rubs his eyes as his small feet unsteadily walks over to the couch before plopping half of his body on top of Yongguk’s. He doesn’t move and only stares down as Joon yawns with his eyes still shut tight.

“What are you doing?”

Joon doesn’t respond but only whines. Yongguk, who is already fully aware of Joon’s bad habit of not being a morning person, continues to look at the boy. Seeing him make no movements, Yongguk sits up.

He rubs Joon’s small head. “Go wake your mama up and get ready for school.”

“Uncle, you wake mama up.”

“Why me?” Joon doesn’t respond and allows his body to slip onto the hardwood floor. Yongguk sighs before standing to his feet and picking the troublesome youngster up before placing him on the couch. “At least make it to the couch.” Yongguk chides him quietly.

He walks over to Wonnie’s bedroom door and hesitates on opening it. Maybe if he gives it a few seconds, she can wake up on her own. Yongguk shakes his head. He had already told himself there was nothing he should be troubled about so why is he hesitating? Without a second thought or any other thoughts that would convince him otherwise, he pushes open the door.

***

The sudden sound of the door opening caused me to whip my head over. I was in the middle of changing, with my shirt fully ed. I hastily grab both sides to pull my shirt together to cover up. Seeing that he had caught me in such a vulnerable moment, Yongguk closes the door, shutting it in an instant. “Sorry!”

I stared at the closed door in shock.

And it gets worse.

I finished changing and headed out, only to stop when my phone goes off. It was a mass message sent from the company.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, only certain departments need to report to the company –

It goes on to list the specific departments. I had to go to work but it seems Yongguk didn’t. I opened my bedroom door to find him staring at his phone in confusion.

“It seems you have a day off today.” I stated and Yongguk snapped his head up. He cleared his throat and looked back down at his phone. I didn’t need to go through another awkward situation so I turned my attention elsewhere. “Since you’ll be home, do you mind watching Joon?”

“Doesn’t he have school?” Yongguk finally looks up to make eye contact.

I shake my head. “No, it’s teachers’ day or something.” I looked over to see the small body on the couch. I walked over and pulled him up into a sitting position. “Be good for Yongguk, okay?”

His eyes were still closed but he nodded his head. I smile and give him a kiss on the head before heading towards the door.

I turn around one last time. “You two, behave.”

A much needed warning.

***

The few people told to come to the company today stayed seated around the meeting table. I didn’t know what was going on but it must be bad if something out of the ordinary like this happened.

We heard the door open and stood up to greet Mr. Bang as he entered. I looked up as he made his way to sit in his usual seat at the head of the table. I didn’t miss his pale complexion or the tired eyes.

“I’m sorry for calling you here so suddenly.” Mr. Bang began. “I need everyone to finish the list of duties I sent out through e-mail by today.” He inhaled a large breath.

When it was clear on what each person had to do, Mr. Bang ended the meeting. I stood up and walked up beside him. “Sir, you should be taking care of your health.”

“I’m fine.” He brushed my worries off. “I’m not as weak as you think.”

“Did you stop taking your medications?” I asked and by the look on his face, it seemed like I caught him red-handed. “I’ll be by your office later with some tea.” I said lastly before bowing and leaving the meeting room.

***

“Hand me that red crayon.” Yongguk places his palm out as Joon places the crayon into it. When he went to color in his flower – the crayon left a streak of blue. He looked over at the young boy. “Joon, what color is this?”

Joon looked up and glanced at Yongguk and then at the crayon he held up. “Red.”

The two boys blinked at each other until Yongguk took the crayon box and laid out the different colors. “Joon, let’s play a game. If you can guess all of the colors right, we can have ramen.”

“Uncle, you like ramen too?” Joon ignored the first part of the conversation, his mind only focusing on the fact that he could have the unhealthy snack. His eyes twinkled in excitement as he found out someone else shared his interest.

“You like it too?” Yongguk asked back.

Joon nodded his head vigorously. “But mama doesn’t really let me eat it.”

Yongguk pursed his lips in thought. “Then we can’t tell her, okay?” He placed his finger up to his lip to signal the secret between the two and Joon mimicked his action. “Okay, now let’s start.” Yongguk pointed at the red crayon. “What color?”

“Blue.” Joon nodded confidently.

“It’s red.” Yong Guk corrected him. “Now this?” He pointed at the orange crayon.

“Red.”

Yong Guk stared at the boy. “I just said this color was red, so how can this be red?”

“No.” Joon shook his head and used his little finger to point at the red crayon. “This is blue and –“ He pointed back at the orange crayon. “ – this is red.”

“Haven’t you learned colors in school?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter