Chapter 4: Reasons to Work Hard

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ms. Kim?”

“Yes, Mr. Bang?” I asked while following him.

“If my son comes in, just ignore him.”

Well, that’s going to be hard. Yesterday, there wasn’t much of an option and I don’t know how today is going to be any different if he does come in. But really, ignoring him is a breeze and I could easily do that but the hard part is getting him to see that, so that he would leave me alone.

“I’ll try my best, sir.” As soon as I said that, the voice that we both were dreading to hear, rang out from behind us.  

“Dad!”

Mr. Bang stopped and his fingers shoot upward to draw little circles on the side of his head to ease the sudden pain. “Why does a headache always follow whenever he shows up?”

I didn’t say a word. It was kind of self-explanatory. The guy was kind of loud and annoying. Even I'm getting a headache. He finally caught up to where we were standing and I wanted to be anywhere else but here.

“Oh! Wonnie, you’re here also.”

That nickname should never be said aloud. Turning to Mr. Bang without acknowledging his son, I offered a little smile in apology. I wasn't going to stick around and there was no way I would be able to hand Yongguk as well as he could.

“Mr. Bang, I’ll leave you two.” I walked away and headed straight to my desk. I’ll be fine as long as he just doesn’t think about visiting my desk.

But, I had hoped too soon.

After a few minutes or so, I look up to find the one person I didn’t want to see, gazing down at me. “You have a really pretty concentrated look.” He had an elbow on the counter to rest his face on his palm. It’s becoming a very familiar scene and I didn’t like it. And I don’t think I will ever like it. “You would look even prettier if a few of your buttons were undone.”

I stared at him blankly and he grinned mischievously upon finishing his sentence. Where does this kind of guy come from? There has to be some mistake. In what kind of world is he the son of Mr. Bang? They don’t resemble one another one bit.

“Are you not aware of what you are saying?” It wouldn’t be such a bad idea for this man to have a filter.

“What can I say? I like women with cleavage.” He shrugged.

“You are bothering me.” I said while looking back down to the papers in front of me. Being nice will get me nowhere I have decided. I needed to be stern and straight with my words.

“I need your help.”

I flipped the paper over to read the rest of the paragraph. “Your father told me to ignore you.”

“But, you’re speaking to me.” He didn’t hesitate to point out. Hearing that, I didn’t respond and a moment of silence followed after his statement before he spoke out again. “Alright, I get it. But, I still need your help.”

“Go speak to your father.” I proposed with my eyes still on my current task. 

“He locked the door.”

I placed the paper down and leaned back in my chair. He really wasn’t planning on leaving me to my work. “So, you thought the best course of action was to come and disrupt my work?” I wanted to be home early today to hang out with Joonie. When he offers no response, I returned my attention back on my work. All I had left now was to sign it. 

Finally, pushing it aside, I get up on my feet. 

“Why do you work so hard?”

“I need to get paid, right?”

A knowing smile broke across his face and he nodded. “Right, because people wouldn’t want to work so hard for nothing.”

“That’s a depressing way to look at things.”

Yongguk laughed at my comment and I looked at him impatiently. “I guess.” He responded and shrugged his shoulders.

I was going through a list of ways to get him to leave quickly and only one solution came to mind. “As soon as I’m done helping you, I want you to be gone like the wind.” As quickly and as quietly as possible.

He broke into a smile. “Sure, Wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter