Chapter 23: Let The Anger Go

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After Yongguk went through something quite painful yesterday – and breaking that milestone of finally opening up to me, it definitely hurt him more to know about his dad’s collapse. I told him last night and he literally broke down in front of me. I tried my best to comfort him and this morning, seeing him so out of it, I made him stay home and visit Mr. Bang instead.

I also decided to visit the older man on my break.

I knocked on the door before entering. In my hand, it held a container of soup in a bag, along with some vitamins that he had neglected to take.

“How are you feeling, Mr. Bang?” I walked over and set the bag down on the bedside table.

“I hate it here.” He mumbled unhappily.

“It could have been avoidable, sir.” I helped him sit up and placed the pillow behind his back.

“I never would have taken you as a scolder.” He pointed out. “But, I guess I deserved it.” He sighs. I gave him a small bowl filled with the homemade soup.

“Ms. Kim.” He called out as he took the bowl from my hands, only to place it back on the bedside table. I looked on in confusion but straightened up.

“Yes, Mr. Bang?”

“I’ve found out my son has been staying at your place.” He stated without beating around the bush. My body stiffened as I didn’t know how he was going to take it. “Minhee came to me and told me.” He clarified.

How did that girl find out? But, did it matter? That cat was now out of the bag, whether I liked it or not.

“Before I decide whether to fire you or not, I want to hear an explanation.” He folded his hands on his lap and sternly stated. 

Normally, I would have just accepted any punishment that Mr. Bang would decide on but for some reason, there were things I wanted to say. Then after, I will accept my fate. And thinking about how angry Yongguk would be after he finds out that I kept my mouth shut – well I didn’t want to think about it.

“After you kicked Yongguk out, he came to me for help and I took him in. I was wrong in that I kept this a secret from you but I don’t think it was wrong that I allowed him to stay with me.” I took a deep breath.

“So, did you think it was wrong of me to kick him out in the first place?” Mr. Bang questioned in response.

“Mr. Bang, I am not judging your parental skills but everyone has been giving Yongguk what he wanted and not what he needed.” I looked down at my hands and back up to him. “You gave him whatever he wished for and when Yongguk became spoiled and inconsiderate and just a bag full of unpleasantness – ” I rambled on as I remembered the first time I met him and how the first few days living with him under the same roof was like. “ –you kicked him out. Which was exactly what he needed.”

Mr. Bang nodded in understanding. “Is that your argument on why you took him in?”

“When you kicked him out, Yongguk had nowhere to go and I couldn’t turn him away.” Although that wasn’t the entire truth because Yongguk was cashing on his favors but it wasn’t a lie either. “He needed a place where he could finally understand what it’s like to be a responsible person.”

“So, do you think you were a major reason on why Yongguk has become who he is now?” Mr. Bang interjected.

“Of course not, Sir. I didn’t do anything.” I quickly denied it. “It was your good decision to kick him out, it forced him to make it on his own and Yongguk’s progress is all thanks to him.” I thought carefully on my next words but realized I finished. “There’s nothing else I would like to say.” I ended softly.

Mr. Bang smacked his lips together and sighed. “But, I think differently.” Mr. Bang said and I looked back up at him. “I think you had everything to do with how my childish son decided to grow up.”

“I – “

He placed his hands up to signal me to stay silent. “My foul mouthed son, who has never showed interest in working, decided one day to get a job at the company. He hasn’t once begged for his card, flat, or bike back. And he has been causing less trouble and problems… And you think you have nothing to do with it?” A smile graced his lips. “Thank you, Ms. Kim. I don’t know how you did it but you somehow changed him. And might I add, for the better.”

I could only look at him. Unsure about where this was going. At one point, it really looked like I was getting fired but now I was just baffled. “So, does this mean I’m still working for you?” I asked in confusion.

“How can I fire you? You had to put up with his annoying arse. And I would feel bad to dismiss you after you have gone through such a hard time. I’m making an exception, Ms. Kim.” He chuckled and breathed in. “How is it living with him? Does he complain a lot? Make a mess? Take your bed?”

“He actually sleeps on the couch.” I shrugged and Mr. Bang laughed out loud.

“I would pay anything to see that.” He added with a deep chuckle. “Does he do chores?”

“He does dishes.” I answered with amusement and it seemed like Mr. Bang was really enjoying it. “He even takes care of my son.” I smiled thinking about the night I came home finding them cuddled together.

“Come on, doesn’t he come home late from clubs?” Mr. Bang was still unbelieving of what I was telling him.

I shook my head. “He hasn’t gone out.”

“So what does he do? Watch TV and color pictures?” Mr. Bang asked sarcastically.

I let out a chuckle and nodded my head. “That’s exactly what he does.”

Mr. Bang shook his head. “I won’t believe it until I see it.”

“I wouldn’t mind taking pictures, sir.” I offered with a grin.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter