Chapter 14: My Days of Trouble

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Get up.” I pulled the blanket off of Yongguk mercilessly.

Immediately, he covers his face and groans out loud at the loss of the warmth. “What is going on?” He croaked with his eyes still clenched shut.

I don’t know why I only realized it now but better late than never. “I think I got you a job.” I tossed the blanket to the ground and pulled opened the window’s curtains.

“Huh?” He opened one eye to look up at me. “Already? You didn’t tell me that last night.”

“I only thought of it now. So, get ready. You have one hour. Go.” I left him and went into Joon’s room to wake him up.

“Ugh, why do you speak to me like that?” Yongguk whines and hides his face into the cushions.

I shook Joon gently. “Honey, it’s time for school.” Joon whines and refuses to open his eyes. I didn’t expect the same response from my lovely son too. I picked him up from the bed carefully. He wrapped his arms around my neck tightly so that he could lean comfortably on my shoulder to continue his sweet slumber.

I came back out to find Yongguk still in the same position I left him. “Yongfuk, you’re pushing rule number three.” I warned him and at that mention, he jumped up from the couch.

“Holy flinging shins, I’m up.”

I gave him a weird look for his choice of words before turning my head slightly to look at the head on my shoulder. “You too mister, time for school.” I crouched over so I can put him onto his feet but Joon didn’t even bother. He ended up lying flat on his back on the hardwood floor with his eyes still closed. Unaffected by the hard and cold floor.

“Wow, he’s having a rough morning.” Yongguk amusingly looks over at the young boy. When he caught my eyes, he grinned guiltily. “I’m getting ready right now.” 

***

Yongguk tugged at his suit. “I can’t believe I’m here right now." He looked around the waiting room where all the other people were sitting for the same job. “There is no way he is going to hire me.”

I would have thought so too since everyone else here looked responsible, business-like, mature – but I was desperate for Yongguk to land this job. Honestly, if the current situation didn’t require him to earn his own money, I would have told him to give up already.

Yongguk was fidgeting beside me. And me, against my own will, I was sitting beside him.  

And, why wasn’t I given a choice? Well… Yongguk had a death grip on my arm and refused to let go. “You did graduate from college, right?” I asked again to confirm.

“Do you think I’m lying?”

“With an accountant degree?”

“Yes.” He answered exasperatedly. “You’re belittling me too much.”

“Then, what is to be worried about?” I pried my arm out of his tight grip and dodged his wild hands to grab me back. “Remember rule number three and get the job. I have to get back to work.”

“No good luck?”

“Good luck.” I grinned and walked down the hall towards my secretary desk.

From time to time, I would look up to see if it was Yongguk being called into his father’s office but it was never his turn. I looked down at the paper on my desk, I had so much work but I didn’t have the focus to complete it.

I’m glad I remembered Mr. Bang mentioning the empty accountant spot, otherwise I think I would still have a jobless Yongguk lying on the couch.

“Wonnie!”

I looked up hearing someone hiss my ‘name’. Yongguk was at the end of the hall about to go into his father’s office.

“He’s not going to hire me!”  He hissed again.

I was unconcern about his lack of motivation and I wasn’t going to do anything about it. He better motivate himself up in the few seconds he has before going into the office to meet his father and get the job somehow. I motioned him to go into the office with the flicks of my hand. He was starting to annoy me. I placed three fingers up to remind him about the rule. In response, he rolled his eyes and gave a grunt before knocking on the door and walking in.

***

Mr. Bang gaped at the appearance of his son.

Yongguk gritted his teeth and bowed before his dad and his dad’s manager. “My name is Bang Yongguk. I’m applying for the accountant position.”

The manager motioned at the chair in front of the two after the initial shock. “Have a seat, Yongguk.”

The young man cleared his throat and modestly took a seat.

“Nope.” His father blurted as soon as Yongguk’s bottom touched the cushion. “I’m not hiring a boy who has yet to grow up.” He didn’t even want to listen to what Yongguk had to say because he was sure it wouldn’t be anything worth hearing.

“Isn’t this a good chance for me to prove you wrong?” Yongguk forced himself to smile.

“I refuse to believe that in the span of two days, you grew up.” His dad wasn’t holding back this time either. “Yongguk is an irresponsible and an ungrateful woman-loving potty mouth.”

Yongguk had to chant ‘rule number three’ in his mind countless times to remind him not to lose his cool. What would Wonnie do to him, if that happened?

“He is going to do more harm than good for the company.” His dad continued r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter