Chapter 3: Mr. Bang's Secretary

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was waiting on the outside of my car when I saw a little body slowly walking out of the school. His little head flipping from side to side, appearing as though he was looking for something. When his eyes found me, he broke into a grin and he ran over as quickly as his little legs could carry him.

I crouched down and waited for his arms to surround my neck before picking him up. “How was school?”

“Fun!” Joon answered cheerfully. “I made two new friends today.” 

How quickly and drastic his emotions have changed from this morning. His crankiness now replaced by his toothy grin.

Smiling, I opened the backseat door with him still in my arms. “What are their names?”

“Woobin and Jaein.”

“Oh really?” Placing him inside in his carseat, I buckled him in.

“Yeah! We played tag and ate snacks together…” I closed the door and heard his muffled voice continuing on inside. When I opened the door on the driver's side, I could hear him clearly again. “And we did math today together too!”

I laughed as his enthusiatic updates. “See, I told you it wasn’t going to be bad.” I looked at him through the rearview mirror to see his beaming face.

He nodded back. “But, I still missed you, mama."

“I missed you too, Joonie.”

Driving home, we soon appeared at the door of our next door neighbor's. Joon's school day may have ended but I was only on break and soon, my hour of relaxing will end soon and I would need to get back to work. Luckily, it didn’t take more than a few knocks for an old woman to open the door.

“Oh, Shiwon!” Mrs. Woo smiled brightly before reaching out to pat Joon's head. “I see you’re on time.”

“Yes, I’ll be back to pick him up tonight.” Returning my attention on Joon, I needed to say my temporary goodbyes before leaving again. “Joonie, will you be good for mama?”

He nodded. “Mama, come back quick.”

“I’ll be home before you know it.” I leaned forward left a quick kiss on his head. I didn’t want to leave him so soon, but I had work to catch up with. Standing back up, I ushered him into the house. 

“I’ll take good care of him, Shiwon.”

***

Returning to my desk and being greeted by the same amount of work that always filled its surface, I was suddenly reminded of Mr. Bang's scheduled afternoon. Picking up the phone, I left him with a small message - he had a lunch date with Mr. Yoo. With one less thing to worry about, I focused back on my initial goal of getting some paperwork done, hoping to cut back on my overtime in the process. 

“Did you see his son earlier?”

“He's seriously such a troublemaker. It's hard to believe he's related to Mr. Bang.”

I looked up to see two workers walk by.

“He wasn’t always like that though, for as long as I could remember, his father had really high hopes for him.”

Soon, I couldn’t hear their voices anymore. Am I the only one that didn’t know about his son? But now that I do, he has become a ert with no working filter in my mind. Deciding it was simply a waste of time to think of such things, I looked back down at my work before anything else could interrupt.

And it was only a few minutes later that I was distracted once more. 

“Ms. Kim.”

I looked up to see Mr. Bang in front of my desk. That’s strange, he would usually call me on the company line. “Did you need something, Mr. Bang?”

“Did you have lunch yet?”

I shook my head.

“Stand up, you’re coming with me.”

“You have a lunch date with Mr. Yoo –“ I started to say before he cut me off.

“That’s exactly why you’re coming.”

I was beyond confused but I figured he had a reason as to why he was making me tag along. But, the thought was temporarily pushed aside when something else came to mind. “Mr. Bang, had you taken your medications yet?”

“I will after lunch.”

He had a habit of forgetting and soon, I found myself keeping track of it. It couldn't be helped since there was a need for someone to remember. 

Following after him to the entrance of the company's building, we exited to find a car waiting for us. Without opposition, I slid in the backseat after him. The ride proved to be a short one and as I reached for the door, he spoke out before I could move anywhere.

“Make sure you leave your name pin in here. You’ll thank me for it.”

Again, not questioning anything, I just do what I'm told and took it off before setting in on the seat. Getting out first, I waited for Mr. Bang to lead us towards the restaurant. Holding my hand in front of me politely, I walked right behind him through the entry way. 

“Mr. Bang, you’re here.”

I heard a cheerful voice call out as we reached the hostess. The man arrives before us and Mr. Bang reaches out to shake his hand. 

Soon, the same man turned to me and placed his hand out. “And you are?”

I didn’t need to respond when I heard Mr. Bang introduce me. “My secretary.”

Silently, the hostess led us to our table and without much thought, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter