Chapter 6: Cinderella's Owed Favor

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I hope to see everyone tonight at the event.” Mr. Bang says while getting out of his seat at the head of the meeting table. 

The other board members bowed and filed out of the meeting room. Mr. Bang had called for a discussion this morning to go over some details about the event tonight. The Busan resort project will be announced and we’re supposed to get some investors. So, everyone was reminded to be sociable and on their best behavior. 

“Ms. Kim, how was the day with my son?”

“It felt like it wasn’t ever going to end.” I took the files from his hand to hold as he gathers his things. 

He laughed at my comment. “I hope you know that wasn’t a punishment.”

“It seemed more like a babysitting job.”

He patted my back. “I won’t ever do that again.” I opened the door for him to walk out into the hallway. “Do you have a dress for tonight?”

“Your son insisted on getting it for me.”

He gave me an expression of surprise. “What were you thinking?”

I guess Mr. Bang knew his son’s tendencies also. But, it wasn’t like Yongguk tried to hide it or anything. “Call me crazy.” Because that’s what I was. I was out of my mind to give Yongguk that kind of power that I knew he would misuse.

“Well, I have nothing to say other than good luck. I’ll see you tonight.”

I bowed and left the office pretty quickly. On my way to my car, a loud noise approaching from behind suddenly flew past me. The motorcycle swings around and blocks off my path. Jumping in surprise at its prozximity, I leaned away. 

The rider took off his helmet. “Good thing I caught you.” Yongguk grinned and pulled a box from behind him. “Here, you are. Don’t worry about paying me back.”

I carefully took it from his hand. “How much was it?”

“You won’t be able to afford it.”

Why was I not surprise. I handed it back to him. “Then, return it.” I waited for him to take it back but he never did.

“ it up and wear it. See you tonight, Wonnie.” He placed his helmet back on and revved his motorcycle a few times before speeding away. I looked down at the box in my hands and sighed. I was just not excited to see what was hiding in this box.

***

“What the hell is this?” I mumbled to myself. The front of the red dress was okay and for a second, I thought Yongguk actually listened to me but I turned it around and felt all hope lost.

The straps were thick but on the back, they draped down the sides then low across my tailbone. Which of course makes my whole back bare. I dropped it on my bed carelessly and sat down beside it. I don’t know why Yongguk thought I could pull something like that off.

“Mama!” Joon ran into the bedroom and jumped onto my lap. “What’s this?” He picked up the fabric sprawled across the top of my bed. 

“This crazy person bought it for me.”

He giggled. “It’s pretty.”

“You think so?”

He nodded vigorously. “Mama, are you going to wear it?”

“I still don’t know.” I leaned my chin on his head and looked down at the dress decisively.

“Why? You’ll look pretty with it.”

I smiled. “Should I try it on for you?” He nodded once and jumped off my lap. I changed into it and turned to the side in front of the mirror to see how much skin I was actually showing.

I heard Joon get onto his feet and run out the room.

“Joonie, is it that bad?” I called after him. Maybe it was revealing too much. Soon, little footsteps stomped towards the bedroom again. Watching him, I noticed he didn't come back empty-handed.

“Mama, you look like her.” He opened the book to show me. It was Joon’s fairy tale book. “You look like a princess.” He looked up in awe and said excitedly.

Too bad I don’t think any princesses’ dresses would be missing so much fabric.

I rubbed his head. “Thank you, Joonie.” He smiled up at me. “Why don’t you go pack your stuff to go over Mrs. Woo’s?” He nodded his head and ran out of the room. With some time, I quickly got to work on my hair and makeup. Deciding a low bun would take the least amount of effort, I went ahead and did so. I was only a secretary after all, there is no need to go so far.

I walked out of the room with my jacket and Joon sat on the couch with his backpack beside him. Disappointed painted across his face.

I walked over and kneeled in front of him. “What’s wrong?”

“I won’t see you today, right?”

I moved the hair from his eyes. “I’ll be home tonight and we’ll watch any movie you want, okay?”

He looked up, interested. “With ramyun?” It was his favorite unhealthy snack and since I wanted to make it up to him for being away, I decided just this once.

“Sure, with ramyun.”

He jumped up with a smile on his face. “Let’s go!” He pulled at my hands and we make our way over to Mrs. Woo’s.

“Don’t you look beautiful!” She exclaimed when she opened the door. Joonie walked forward and she pats his head.

“Thank you, Mrs. Woo. I’ll try to get back early tonight.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll take good care of Joon.”

“I’ll see you later, okay?” I leaned down and gave Joon a kiss.

“Bye, mama.” He waved and I said my goodbyes to Mrs. Woo. 

Sitting in my car, I took a deep breath to prepare myself for the night ahead. With so many people in attendance, I hope to be one that flies under the radar. For tonight, I wanted to remain discreet.

***

Because I wasn’t one of those important guests, I had to park below the event hall and walk up by myself. It wasn’t disappointing or anything, because this way, I can avoid the crowd of people. I was only there for one thing and that is to make sure to keep Mr. Yoo happy.

Finally arriving at the event hall, a waiter shows up beside me. “Can I take your jacket?”

I hesitantly take off the only thing that was covering my back and handed it over to him. Taking a deep breath, I straightened my back and quickly made my way towards Mr. Bang's side. 

“Oh, you’re here.” He smiled. “You look beautiful, Ms. Kim, if I didn’t know any better, I wouldn’t have thought that it was my son who picked that dress out.” I turned a bit so he would see the back. No explanation needed. He chuckled. “Never mind, it was definitely my son responsible.”

“Who is this?”

Mr. Bang turned to the man beside him. “This is my beautiful secretary.”

I bowed.

“Ms. Kim, this is Mr. Choi of the Aerospace Engineering Company.” I shook the man’s hand.

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Choi.”

“For a second I thought you had a daughter.” Mr. Choi chuckled. “You look great tonight.” He complimented me.

I flinched when I felt a warm hand pressed to my . I snapped my head over to find Yongguk appearing by my side. I suppose I should have known better when I hoped I wouldn't see him tonight. 

“I did a good job, didn’t I?” He smiled down at me. “You seem to be the center of attention.” He had on the suit that took four hours to choose and he actually looked the part - the part of being Mr. Bang's son. “I almost didn’t recognize you since this time you’re not all covered up.” There he goes and ruin it. He tilts back and glances behind me. “I didn’t know you were hiding that kind of body underneath your clothes.”

I shoved his wandering hand away and he wasn’t at all bothered by it. “Hello, Mr. Choi, I’m Yongguk.” He smiled and shook the CEO’s hand.

“Oh, Yongguk, it’s been a while since I last saw you.” I noticed it wasn’t only him that was surprised by Yong Guk’s presence, just about everyone in the hall whispered among themselves while staring at him. “What brings you out?”

“My father.” Yong Guk answered and looked at his dad.

“It’s so nice to see you again!” I was suddenly p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter