Chapter 1: The Start

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The room was filled with people dressed from head to toe in black. Some with fake sympathy upon their faces, others were there to fulfill their obligation to be present, and with the last as a rarity, they were there to actually send their condolences.

We were all staring at the two photos in front of the room. I should be crying, I should be screaming at the unfairness, or breaking down at the fact that I just lost my only family.

But - 

I stood there emotionless.

I couldn’t feel anything.

There was no specific pain.

There was no specific sadness.

I tear my eyes away from the photos to look out the window. The skies were filled with nothing besides dark clouds signaling that it would rain at any minute. Obviously matching well with the kind of day it was today.

Surely it is a dark and sad day.

Today marks the day that my only family, my older sister and brother-in-law, are forever gone. Today is their funeral.

It hasn’t hit me yet.

This sudden loss was so abrupt that my mind hasn’t grasped what happened just yet.

They didn’t deserve to go so early and so unexpectedly. They still had many happy years ahead of them and a product of their love standing beside me. I looked down at the little head that was hung over with tears that continued to fall because even though he kept asking for his parents, they were nowhere to be seen.

Joon was only three, not old enough to know that his parents were gone. He also didn’t know that he was the first thing on their mind as they protected him as the car flipped over repeatedly. A scar on his lower jaw forever reminding him about the tragic day from a week ago.

My sister and her husband had been living in the states ever since they got married. They sent me money to care for myself, they called me often, and they told me stories about their little bundle of joy. The one time they return home to visit me – I didn’t even have the chance to see them.

After the funeral, I walked out to hear whispering among the adults and I caught a glimpse of Joon standing in a corner. A scene I knew all too well. I was him a few years ago when my parents passed away. I knew the pain, the loneliness, and the hopelessness.

“What are we going to do with Joon?”

“Someone needs to take care of him of course.”

“If you’re implying that I should take him, you’re wrong. I don’t have enough money to feed him too.”

“Well, I can’t take him either!”

“Didn’t you hear? In three years, Joon will get his parents' money.”

“In that case…”

My hands clench at my sides. “I’ll take him.” The words left my mouth before I even knew how impactful they would be. It wasn’t like me to take on the responsibility because I had no confidence of giving him happiness. But I couldn’t stand it. I couldn't comprehend the irresponsibility of the adults. Joon wasn't priority and their words indicated so. 

“You?” My uncle snapped his head towards me. “You’re only 20, how can you take care of a young boy?”

“You can barely take care of yourself.” This time his wife added from the side snidely.

“You don’t even want to take him so what’s the point in arguing?” I retorted and watched as she stuttered. “So much for family, right?” I smiled scornfully. I’m not one to cause trouble, I tend to avoid problems that seem to be too much but there was something about that little boy that told me I couldn’t leave him here.

I walk over to Joon and squat down so that I was eye level with him.

“Hey, do you know who I am?” I asked softly.

He shook his head slo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter