And Let the Game Begin

Mischief Managed (Or, sorta...)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Finally,” Kris thinks, surveying the snow-covered field below him. “At least this feels normal.”

It’s been a couple of weeks since the Winter Formal, and, honestly, Kris is beyond relieved.

He had chased Kai all of the way back to the Slytherin common room after Kai’s little display of “affection”.

And he had hexed him.

That’s right.

Kris Wu had jinxed Kim Jongin.

And it had been a perfect Jelly-Legs Curse.

Oh yes.

It had been a work of art actually.

Kris grins, thinking of how Kai had face-planted onto the floor after his legs had given out.

And Kris had left him there, ignoring Kai’s pleas, which had turned into curses when he had realized Kris was actually walking away, instead moving to his own room where he had finally been able to lie down and rest.

Kris isn’t sure how long it had taken Kai to drag himself to his own room, or if Sehun had happened to show up and help him, but revenge had been sweet nonetheless.

And now, Kris is exactly where he wants to be.

Seated on his broomstick, several yards up in the air, ready for a competitive match against the Gryffindors.

 

“You look warm,” Baekhyun comments, pulling on his arm guards.

Chanyeol nods beneath his multiple layers.

“I am,” he responds, Baekhyun straining to hear him through the five scarves he has wrapped around his mouth.

Chanyeol has to be wearing his body weight in clothing, the Beater completely covered from head to foot in leather, wool, cotton, and probably any other type of material imaginable.

The only thing Baekhyun can really see is the top half of Chanyeol’s face, and even that is partially covered by these massive goggles Chanyeol has on.

“Why do you need those again?” Baekhyun asks, pointing to the goggles, which make Chanyeol’s eyes look three times larger than normal.

“It might rain,” Chanyeol says, as if Baekhyun is stupid.

Baekhyun stares for a little while longer before shrugging and grabbing his broomstick.

“Okay team,” their team captain, a girl in her seventh year, calls out, gesturing for everyone to gather around.

Baekhyun moves to get into the circle of his teammates.

Chanyeol kind of shuffles/hops over.

“Now everyone remembers the plan, right?” their captain asks, black hair swinging in a long ponytail behind her as she looks at each player, a fierce glint to her eyes.

To be honest, Baekhyun has always been kind of intimidated by his captain.

Not that he would ever say that out loud.

Everyone nods.

Chanyeol nods especially hard, just in case no one notices due to his restrictive clothing.

“Good,” their captain says, grabbing her own broomstick. “Now let’s go kick some Slytherin butts.”

 

Kai glares at the blonde figure that’s hovering slightly above him in the air, back near the goalposts.

He hopes Kris can feel the full wrath of his eyes.

Kai’s still upset about being jinxed and then left behind from two weeks ago.

He had had to drag himself across the floor just to get to his room, the only thing keeping him going being the fact that he was a spy extraordinaire who hadn’t been going to let his jelly legs drag him down.

Even though he had technically already been down.

Down enough to be able to feel the cold from the stone floor seep through his stupid pink dress robes.

But that’s besides the point.

What truly matters is that Kai had been able to get into his room even with Kris’s jinx.

Even if it had taken him an hour to cross what would have been a minute walking trip.

“Time doesn’t matter to Kim Jongin,” Kai mutters to himself, sending one last pointed stare in Kris’s direction. “What matters is getting justice.”

Kai pauses.

And then…

“The Thrilling Saga Returns. Kim Jongin vs. Kris Wu. Revenge or Justice? Extended Edition.”

 

“It’s freaking freezing,” Luhan complains.

He gets a scarf thrown in his face in response.

“Hey,” Luhan says, voice and vision obscured by the cloth, and then he wrenches it off, glaring at Lay.

Lay shrugs.

“You said you were cold,” he says innocently, earmuffs firmly in place. “And stop whining. We’re here to take notes.”

Luhan rolls his eyes and is about to make a snarky reply when Suho comes into view, shuffling past Luhan to take his seat between the two other Hufflepuffs, three thermoses cradled in his arms.

“Here,” Suho says, handing one to Luhan and another one to Lay. “I ran down to the kitchens before I came to grab some hot chocolate seeing as it’s bloody cold out today.”

Luhan shrieks shouts in joy, unscrewing the cap to take a drink.

It’s delicious, as expected.

“Thanks Suho,” Luhan says, happily sipping his hot beverage.

Now he can watch the match.

 

Tao pulls his coat closer around him, shivering.

Players dressed in red and gold and green and silver swoop around the air over the Quidditch field, waiting for Madam Hooch to arrive and start the match.

Tao is only out here because he wants to watch Kris play.

If he wasn’t such a dedicated boyfriend, he would be in front of the Slytherin common room fire right now, probably reading or just taking a nap.

It’s too cold to be outside.

But he can just make out Kris’s figure perched near the goalposts on the Slytherin side, and Tao sighs, shoving his hands into a second pair of mittens, determined to make it through the entire match.

And then another student is sliding into the spot next to him, a flash of blue and silver catching Tao’s eye.

He glances over, surprised to see a Ravenclaw with a gigantic scarf wrapped around his neck.

The other boy looks at Tao quickly, and Tao just makes out his surprised expression before the other boy is quickly turning away again.

 

“Crap,” D.O. thinks, fiddling with the edges of his scarf.

He just had to sit next to Huang Zitao, one of Kai’s best friends.

D.O. had mustered up the courage to come out into the awful weather just to see Kai play, and now he was stuck next to Tao, who would probably find it creepy if D.O. started cheering for Kai.

D.O. makes to move, maybe to go sit a couple of rows away, but another Slytherin is scooting in next to him, trapping him in and giving him an odd look, and D.O. shrinks further into his scarf.

 

Chanyeol pushes off of the ground into the sky, the familiar feel of the wind in his hair making him giddy.

He’s so ready for this match.

And he has a battle plan too.

Baekhyun zooms by, a blur of red and gold, and Chanyeol moves to take his position.

The Slytherins line up on the opposite side, the two teams facing each other.

Chanyeol is grinning, although no one can see it, excited to be back out on the field, despite the icy winds and darkening storm clouds slowly accumulating above them.

Although, he isn’t sure why some of the Slytherin players are giving him weird looks.

They almost look wary if Chanyeol is taking the sidelong glances the right way.

Chanyeol shrugs, his attention moving to Madam Hooch, who’s just appeared in the middle of the field below them, the box that holds the Quaffle, the Bludgers, and the Golden Snitch at her feet.

“Now I want a nice, clean match,” she shouts up at the players, her voice echoing through the air despite the howling storm that is beginning to brew around them. “From all of you.”

And then the lid to the box is being popped open, the Golden Snitch disappearing in a flash of gold.

The Bludgers are released next, whistling through the air, and Chanyeol tightens his grip on his bat.

And then Madam Hooch is throwing the Quaffle into the air.

And the game begins.

 

“I can’t see anything,” Chen complains, hair plastered to his head from the sudden downpour that just started two seconds ago.

Xiumin blinks past the rain that is pouring into his eyes from his hair, trying to see the match.

Chen’s right though.

The only things that are visible from the stands are the occasional dark figures of the players darting through the storm.

“Do you think they’ll call off the match?” Xiumin asks Chen, reaching out to hold Chen’s hand.

It’s warm despite the weather, and Xiumin threads his cold fingers through Chen’s, shuffling closer.

Chen shrugs, pressed into Xiumin’s side.

“I doubt it. It’s Gryffindor and Slytherin. I think they’d all rather die than give up a game against each other.”

Xiumin nods, because Chen’s probably right.

And then Xiumin has an idea.

He slips his free hand into his pocket, reaching for his wand.

A few quick words later, and a wave of Xiumin’s wand, and Chen and Xiumin are suddenly sitting in a rain-proof bubble.

Chen blinks, before turning to look at Xiumin, baffled.

“Where did you learn that?” he asks, pushing sodden hair back from his face.

Xiumin shrugs.

“I read about it somewhere,” he says, honestly not remembering where he had gotten the spell.

He’s trying to think about where he might have read about it, because there were probably other useful spells in the same book, but Chen leans forward and kisses him, quick and soft, on the mouth.

“And I thought I was the smart one,” he says, grinning, and Xiumin blushes, whacking Chen in the arm.

“Shut up,” he says, trying to hide his embarrassment.

 

Another scream permeates the deafening sound of rain and wind, a figure dressed in green and silver tumbling to the ground on their broom.

Sehun whimpers tightens his grip on his own broomstick, desperately trying to see through the storm.

He’s pretty sure that that had been the second Chas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter