The Winter Formal Part II

Mischief Managed (Or, sorta...)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey guys, J here *^.^* Sorry for the super long wait for the update:( Everything is so busy with school *Runs screaming* But hope you guys enjoy the update, and if you're interested I have posted a list of songs below that each character dances to for their solo/paired performances so that you can listen to the songs while you read... Thanks again for subscribing and commenting <3

Kai: Anaconda by Nicki Minaj

Sehun: Booty Wurk by T-Pain ft. Joey Galaxy

Kris and Tao: Thrift Shop by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

D.O.: Wasted by Tiesto ft. Matthew Koma

Chen: Love on Top by Beyonce

Chanyeol and Baekhyun: Rather Be by Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne (Plus Jump by Kris Kross for Chanyeol’s solo)

Lay and Suho: Don’t Hold the Wall by Justin Timberlake

Luhan: Partition by Beyonce 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

“You should try the pumpkin juice,” Tao says, draining the rest of his glass, pinky stretched upright because apparently that’s how “sophisticated people drink things”.

Sehun shakes his head.

He’s not sure if his stomach is feeling up to it at the moment.

There’s a queasy sensation slowly creeping up his throat, nerves on edge.

Because he can’t stop thinking about how he has to dance tonight in front of the entire student body.

He hadn’t been concentrating on it earlier, but now…

“Ugh,” Sehun moans, closing his eyes as a wave of dizziness hits him.

And he also can’t stop scanning the crowd for a certain Hufflepuff.

Even though things are okay now between them, thanks to their late-night Restricted Section talk, Sehun is apprehensive to see Luhan again.

But back to the dance…

Professor McGonagall had waltzed up to him a few minutes earlier, announcing that he would be performing second, right after Kai, who had sprinted for the bathroom the moment he had heard, looking sick.

Tao interrupts Sehun from his thoughts with a particularly hard jab to the ribs, fingers still curled around his glass, rings glinting under the lights.

The Great Hall is gorgeous, with huge Christmas trees decorating every corner and twinkling fairy lights over everything, snow falling softly from the starry ceiling, the werewolf band that had been at that Gryffindor girl’s party playing at the front of the room.

There are tables full of food everywhere, the iced cakes with skating snowmen on top having caught Sehun’s eye first.

“Hello?” Tao says, annoyed. “Were you even listening to a word I just said?”

Sehun begins to respond, but Kris suddenly appears beside the two, his own glass of iced Butterbeer clutched in a hand.

“I can’t believe they’re making the Slytherins go first,” he mumbles, and Tao places a sympathetic hand on his arm.

Sehun groans again internally, his stomach rolling dangerously at the reminder.

“I’ll be right back,” he squeaks out before turning and walking quickly out of the hall.

“Where’s he off to?” he hears Kris ask behind him.

“Same place Kai ran to earlier, ready to vomit,” Tao answers, and Sehun hopes he’s imagining the obvious glee in Tao’s voice.

But probably not.

 

Lay is currently wishing he could hex Luhan without Suho noticing.

To say the other boy is being annoying is a major understatement.

Luhan is being freaking unbearable.

The moment the three of them had stepped through the doors to the Great Hall, Luhan’s eyes had widened to an alarming size and he had in a breath.

They probably look like an odd trio Lay thinks, especially since Suho’s dress robes continue to sparkle as brightly as the fairy lights, but back to Luhan.

After the giant, crazy eyes and the breath holding, Luhan had started to speak.

And not the short and sweet, “Everything looks great,” kind of speech.

The rambling type of speech.

Luhan will not shut up.

And Lay is on the verge of ripping his hair, and his ears, out.

“It’s beautiful,” Luhan gushes for the millionth time, practically bouncing on his feet.

“We heard,” Lay mutters, grabbing a Butterbeer from a nearby table.

“I mean, look at the lights and the food and the snow,” Luhan continues, eyes shining as he reaches out and creepily fondly runs a hand over one of the tree branches, scattering snow onto the ground.

He pauses before something seems to catch his eye, something Lay doesn’t see.

But then Luhan is screaming, “Oh my God,” and running away, and Suho is telling Lay to go get him before he hurts himself or someone else.

Lay sighs and throws back his Butterbeer in one go.

It’s going to be a long night.

 

“Please don’t do anything embarrassing,” Baekhyun warns Chanyeol as soon as they enter the Winter Formal.

“Embarrassing?” Chanyeol asks, slightly offended that Baekhyun would suggest such a thing.

“Yes, embarrassing. It’s practically your middle name,” Baekhyun continues, his eyes catching sight of a blue-robed Ravenclaw who seems to be stalking a Hufflepuff across the room.

Gosh, he goes to school with some creeps.

Chanyeol splutters in disagreement beside him, but Baekhyun is already making his way over to one of the food tables.

And about two seconds later, a loud commotion meets his ears from behind him.

Baekhyun winces internally, turning slowly to see what the damage is.

Chanyeol is sprawled across the floor, another student trapped and flailing underneath him, trying not to suffocate.

Chanyeol smiles up at Baekhyun, abashed.

 

Xiumin feels like screaming.

But that might bring unwanted attention to him.

Not that he doesn’t already have that in the freaking first place.

He’s supposed to be out with the rest of the students, enjoying himself and listening to the music.

But what is Xiumin doing instead?

He’s hiding in one of the freaking Christmas trees.

And by hiding, he means literally wrapped around the back of it, pressed between the sharp, wintery-smelling needles and the stone wall.

Because someone, aka Chen, has already spotted him, had laid eyes on him the moment Xiumin had stepped into the hall behind Suho, and had made for him like a cat after a mouse.

Xiumin had managed to ditch the Ravenclaw the other night in the library by throwing a spare dung bomb he had found in his backpack towards a shelf of books nearby and disappearing in the ensuing chaos.

But he’s not sure how much longer he can avoid him.

Or how much longer he wants to avoid him.

“Yoohoo,” a voice suddenly sing-songs from the other side of the tree.

Xiumin shuts his eyes in despair.

“I can see you, you know,” Chen says, pushing apart the tree branches to peer through them, his eyes glinting like a cat’s.

“Peachy,” Xiumin mutters.

“You know, you could come out here, or I could join you back there,” Chen continues, mischievous smirk playing around his mouth.

Xiumin shakes his head frantically, pushing to get free of the branches.

The last thing he needs is for Chen to come back here and join him. The proximity would be terrifying.

Xiumin pushes himself away from the tree, frowning, because he can’t seem. To. Move.

After a few moments, Xiumin gives up.

Of course he’s stuck.

“Mother ducker,” Xiumin thinks.

So now there’s the beautiful decision of asking Chen to come help him, which would bring back the problem of close proximity with the enemy, or of staying attached to a Christmas tree for the rest of the night until hopefully Lay or Suho or Luhan walk by and help him before he has to perform his solo.

Ugh.

D.O. wrings his hands together nervously, large eyes peering out at the dance floor.

The Ravenclaws are set to perform second after the Slytherins, and Chen had suddenly disappeared a few moments ago, mumbling something about, “Xiumin,” and, “looking fine tonight,” before leaving D.O. to worry alone.

D.O. tugs on the collar of his dress robes, eyes scanning the crowd of students and professors, looking for one person in particular, his heart in his mouth.

But Kai is nowhere to be found even though D.O. spots Kris and Tao standing near the punch, the two of them making an intimidating pair even though it seems as if Tao is laughing about something.

D.O. squints at a figure disappearing over their shoulders, the familiar stature of Oh Sehun sprinting through the doors and into the hallway outside the Great Hall.

And then D.O. is being knocked into from behind, almost falling over as an overly excited Hufflepuff, (Luhan he thinks is his name, because he looks like the guy who destroyed D.O.’s precious cupcakes that one night), runs past him, straight for the werewolf band at the front of the room.

D.O. narrows his eyes at the back of Luhan’s head, remembering his pink icing smeared all over the floor and his face that night with the Cornish pixie, and then someone else is bumping into him, and D.O.’s plan for revenge disappears due to annoyance.

“Sorry,” another Hufflepuff throws at him over his shoulder before following Luhan, seeming exasperated.

D.O. watches the pair for a few seconds, an idea slowly forming in his head, his plan for revenge back on track.

 

Kai wipes his mouth with the back of his hand, groaning as he lifts his face from where it’s basically been plastered to the inside of the sink for the past half an hour, catching a glimpse of himself in the mirror.

And immediately wishes he hadn’t.

As if the horrendous dress robes weren’t enough, Kai’s face is now sweaty and clammy looking, his previously perfect hair now a mess around his head, and water stains all over the front of his clothes.

“Dude,” a voice says from beside him, sounding strained, and Kai jumps, glancing over in surprise to see Sehun at the sink next to his.

“You look-,” Sehun tries to finish, but his face is a little green, and two seconds later he bends over the sink, the sounds of gagging reaching Kai’s ears.

Kai blinks slowly, feeling feverish, and tries not to throw-up again.

Like again, again.

When Sehun finishes, he straightens up, face pale, and looks over at Kai again.

“You look like crap,” Sehun manages to choke out.

“Yeah, well,” Kai begins, feeling his stomach roll unpleasantly, and swallows down a burp, “you look like a goblin pissed in your tea.”

Sehun scrunches up his face in disgust.

“Seriously though,” Kai continues, fighting down a gag reflex, “what is wrong with us?”

He bends over the sink right after again, unable to keep his stomach down, and Sehun closes his eyes and looks the other way.

“Gross, gross, gross,” Sehun’s mind is chanting at him because Kai does not vomit gracefully.

“I don’t know,” Sehun responds, glimpsing the dark bags that are now underneath his eyes. “I thought maybe I was just nervous about dancing, you know? But now I think I’m actually sick.”

Kai grunts in agreement from the land of puke, the porcelain against his forehead now his new best friend.

“You think we ate something weird?” Kai asks once he’s recovered enough to speak.

Sehun thinks back to the food he has consumed throughout the day.

He had had eggs and toast this morning for breakfast, then some kind of meat sandwich for lunch, and a pack of assorted candy he had purchased at Honeydukes the week before right before getting ready for the dance.

Nothing too crazy, and nothing that would have made him this sick.

“Nope,” he concludes, and then proceeds to make the sink his best friend as well, as his stomach roils unpleasantly.

A first-year students comes in at that moment, humming to himself, his tie askew, and freezes mid-tune and mid-step when he catches sight of Kai leaning against the mirror weakly and Sehun hunched over the sink, unpleasant noises coming from the latter.

“Go away,” Kai mumbles, waving a limp hand. “I’m sure you can hold your pee and find another lavoratory, unless you want to end up like that,” he says, gesturing at Sehun, who gives a half-hearted thumbs-up and peace sign from the sink.

Before immediately hurling again, the sounds of vomit splattering against the bottom of the sink unpleasantly permeating the air.

The first-year disappears as fast as he had entered the bathroom.

“I can’t think of anything I might’ve eaten,” Kai muses, pressing a hand to his stomach. “I had hotcakes for breakfast, and I skipped lunch because Professor Trelawney didn’t believe me when I told her that I saw myself as a centaur slash spy slash stripper in my past life, and she made me stay after class to have a serious discussion about, ‘my lack of a mature inner eye,’ or something like that, and then I had some candy from that pack you got from Honeydukes.”

Sehun hums in response, running the sink now to try and wash his mouth out.

“I don’t know,” Kai says, feeling sick again. “But I hope it passes before we have to go out there.”

 

Tao giggles.

He loves candy.

Especially those puking pastilles he had bought the other day, intending to use them on other students.

And guess who made the perfect targets?

Idiots, that’s who.

 

“Excuse me ladies and gentlemen.”

Dumbledore’s voice, amplified by some spell, floats over the Great Hall, effectively quieting down the room.

“We are going to begin tonight’s performances,” Dumbledore continues, eyes twinkling behind his half-moon spectacles. “It seems that twelve students have graciously volunteered (Someone in the audience scoffs loudly in amusement and irritation, a.k.a. Chen) to be a part of tonight’s entertainment, and I’m sure their performances will be unforgettable. So please, give your undivided attention to the dance floor, and would our first performer please come forward.”

 

“That’s you,” Tao hisses, jabbing Kai between the ribs.

Kai groans.

He has just returned from the bathroom, Sehun right beside him, after the two had managed to keep everything down for at least five minutes.

But now, it feels like everything is going to come all the way back up again.

If there is even anything to come up.

“I don’t wanna,” Kai mumbles, the room starting to tilt a little, and why is Sehun’s face lopsided?

“It makes him even uglier than he already is,” Kai thinks dazedly.

“You have to, stupid,” Tao says rudely, shoving Kai forward, and Kai stumbles a little bit, knocking into a Ravenclaw girl who shoots him a dirty glare.

“Sorry,” Kai says, shuffling forward.

If he’s going to have to do this, he might as well get it freaking over with.

“You can do it, Kai,” Sehun says from behind him, but his voice is a little wobbly and Kai wonders if Sehun still feels as sick as he does.

“Don’t throw up,” Tao calls right after, something close to anticipation in his voice, and Kai glances over his shoulder, giving Tao a suspicious look, but Tao only shrugs innocently, flashing him an evil smile afterwards, and Kai shivers, turning back to the dance floor.

He has to find different friends.

Professor McGonagall is waiting at the edge of the floor, her spectacles still perched on the bridge of her nose as always.

“Good evening Mr. Kim,” she says, smiling, and Kai blinks foggily, because now she’s not wearing any spectacles, and now she is, and now she isn’t, and is that a frog on top of her head?

(Oh yeah, Tao forgot to mention that those puking pastilles weren’t the only things in that box of candy, courtesy of the Weasley brothers… Hallucinating humbugs were also right up Tao’s alley)

“You have a-,” Kai starts, motioning confusedly to the top of his own head, and Professor McGonagall frowns.

“Mr. Kim,” she continues. “I believe you’re supposed to be out there, on the dance floor. I have the music you chose ready.”

“Okay,” Kai agrees, because now the frog is gone, and Kai isn’t sure where it went.

Weird.

“I’m just going to,” Kai says, inching past Professor McGonagall cautiously because who knows that else might appear on her head, “go out there then. Yeah.”

Professor McGonagall gives Kai a confused look, but then decides it probably isn’t worth the headache of finding out what’s wrong with him, and heads off to start the music.

Kai walks to what he thinks is the center of the dance floor.

“Ready?” Professor McGonagall motions from the side, and Kai blinks once, twice, his mouth hanging open slightly.

Now Professor McGonagall is the frog.

Trippy.

 

“What the bloody hell is wrong with him?” Kris asks Sehun and Tao, who are staring at Kai, who seems to be staring at Professor McGonagall.

 

“Mr. Kim,” Professor Frog says, her bulbous eyes blinking at Kai weirdly. “Are you ready?”

A pink tongue flicks out at lightning speed, hitting the side of Professor Frog’s head and then dragging back into with a pop.

“Gross,” Kai thinks, but he pushes the thought away because it is time to danc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter