The Only Way

Crashing Tides

They fussed over Donghae as soon as Donghae lowered his open shirt’s collars a bit more. Hyukjae’s eyes growled at the angry red sword marks “How the -“

“Well I had to fight my way off of the ship, some of that bastard’s men heard me eavesdropping”

“Donghae you gotta be more careful” Sungmin frowned, dabbing Donghae’s shoulder blades with cotton, Donghae hissed at the stinging sensation “Ye two worry too much, I’ve handled the Kraken itself, that too with just two swords.” Despite the fact that his life was in danger in every way now and the world as he knew it was slowly crumbling into bits, Donghae still managed a cocky grin. Hyukjae sat right in front of him, forlorn but ignited eyes peering into Donghae’s “Well, you just got lucky, over and over again.”

“And ye are my lucky charm” Donghae spoke quietly, smiling fondly at the worried face “If it’s any consolation, I managed to damage them more than they damaged me, then I jumped into the sea and swam under water, I’m hoping they think I drowned or something since I didn’t resurface till I reached shore, or else they’ll crawl onto land to search fer me.”

“Well it’s there funeral if they do, even if they don’t, The Chief’s furious due to the last stunt your captain pulled” Sungmin grunted as he kept a restraining hand on the squirming shoulder, applying herbs that Sensei had kindly provided.

Donghae blinked, turning his face to shift his gaze back and forth from Hyukjae to Sungmin “Ye two serious? Yer Chief’s finally taking them seriously?”

“You included” Hyukjae cut in gravely, hands reaching out to take donghae’s hands and interlacing their fingers “Your one of them, at least that is how the Force will look at you, The Chief pretty much declared war against The Liberators.”

The Pirate snorted “War huh?...it all felt like a bad dream, I just happened to walk past the Captain’s room’s door and heard him say stuff about…about father and my memory and magic stones..” Donghae trailed off, smiling bitterly “Fer a moment I hoped I would wake up, but soon enough it turned out into a reality, ye know.”

Hyukjae tightened his hold on the Pirate’s hand, hating the vulnerability that flickered in Donghae’s eyes “I won’t let anything touch you, I’ll protect you.”

Donghae shook his head “I can look after myself.”

“How exactly? Now The Force and The ship’s crew are looking for you, so do us all a favor and don’t be stubborn.” Sungmin lightly slapped his head, done with bandaging up the marks. Donghae

“I can’t help it, being stubborn is an occupational hazard” Donghae grumbled

“Well being a pirate is not an occupation “Hyukjae stopped Donghae when he tried to pull up his shirt up. Donghae smirked “Like me better with my shirt off? Should I get rid of something else for ye’?”

Sungming groaned “ Let me know when you two need me to go away.”

Hyukjae sighed, despite the tense atmosphere, he managed a small smile “You don’t need to go anywhere, in fact, we need to work out what to do.”

“Well for sure, we need to take Donghae to the Headquarter and-“

“Are ye’ crazy?!” Donghae’s eyes widened as he stared at Sungmin “ I ain’t goin’ anywhere near that dreadful place!”

Sungmin helplessly turned to Hyukjae who looked at him with wary eyes. Sungmin tried calming them down as he held up a hand “Quit your whining and listen to me for a change, then tell me if you got a better option, but first let me finish.”

Donghae wiggled on his , scooting closer to Hyukjae and pressing his shoulder with Hyukjae’s, seeking reassurance, as he hesitantly nodded.

“ No interrupting while I talk, so here is what I have in mind. We take Donghae to The Cheif directly, explaining to him how Donghae willingly gave himself up and how he is keen to share information on the crew’s hideouts and there aims, provide evidence that can help fill in all the holes and contributes in dealing with this problem. Like this we can plead for leniency in the light of supportive behavior from donghaes’s side. We bring in the rest of the crew and they get what they deserve, ofcourse leniency won’t mean Donghae gets to go free of charge…but it would mean him being able to remain alive, perhaps a cut in years behind bars.”

While donghae was vigorously shaking his head, Hukjae was actually contemplating over it and seeing that thoughtful look on Hyukjae’s face had Donghae freaking out even more “Hyuk! Please, I can’t do this!! And I’m certainly not willing, Sungmin! No, dangit, no please tell me there’s another way.”

“There is”

Sungmin’s and Donghae’s eyes darted to Hyukjae who looked absolutely grave as he palmed his forehead “We run away, you and me and remain as runaways all our lives. Whatever leniency you could get would be discarded, I’ll be seen as an accomplice of the criminal hence we both will be on most wanted posters and when The Force does manage to hunt us down, we both get hanged.”

“Wow darling you sketch a bright future for us” Donghae drawled dejectedly, brows furrowed as he began to sway back and forth, muttering profanities under his breathe.

The three sat in silence, the air heavy with sense of realization.

“There is really no other way out, Hyuk?”

Hyukjae shook his head “I got nothing- but! We need to know just how much leniency can we gain for Donghae.”

“Ye’ two wait a spillitin’ second! I’m the one who is supposed to be ‘willingly giving himself up’ but do I look like I’m willing?!” Donghae snapped; face resolute as he clenched his jaw. Throwing the two smoldering looks Donghae abruptly got off, marching off into Sensei’s hut, ignoring Hyukjae’s calls all the way.

He was scared, he knew this much, heck he felt Goosebumps just thinking about going to jail, this whole plan ! Hyukjae didn’t give a damn as long as he managed to capture the crew and gain the reward or it while donghae rotted in jail for God knows how many years! Such thoughts wreaked havoc in his mind as he aimlessly entered one of the rooms in the hut and slammed the door behind him.

 

About seven minutes later, after getting directions from Sensei, Hyukjae carefully opened the door to one of the rooms. He saw Donghae’s body all bundled up under a thick blanket, lying on his side, back facing him. He sighed and gently closed the door before tiptoeing over to donghae. Wordlessly he slipped in under the blanket, gently draping an arm over donghae as he lay behind him.

“Hae?”

Nothing.

“Hae, I’m sorry.”

Still nothing, Donghae’s body was rigid under Hyukjae’s arm. Hyukjae spread his palm over Donghae’s bare torso and began to gently run his fingers up and down “I want to-no- I need to protect you but you need to trust me Hae, even Sungmin doesn’t like how we don’t have much of a choice.” Hyukjae paused, gently spooning Donghae’s figure, mindful of the injuries on his back. He heard a subtle sniffle from Donghae and it was all too clear. Hyukjae could not even imagine the impact of Donghae’s situation right now must have had on the ginger-head. Wakening up to news about your own and only family member wanting you dead, while already having a price fixed on your head by the government of a whole nation, Donghae was literally all alone, with nowhere to go.

Hyukjae of course, wanted to make sure he helped Donghae in every way.

“I can’t even begin to imagine what hell you must be going through and honestly I just want to help in any way possible, I’m here worrying for you, I don’t want to lose you and I don’t want you hurt, I can’t afford it, so please just talk to me, tell me if there’s another way to do this because in the end the decision will be yours…”

“Let me go.”

Hyukjae stiffened at the monotone, Donghae had spoken in such a hushed manner, Hyukjae nearly missed the words.

“Hae…what?”

“Let me go. Let me run away, I’ll be fine, somewhere safe, I’ll keep running if I have to. You don’t have to ruin your life that you have here.”

Hyukjae almost stopped breathing, propping himself up on his elbow he peered over donghae’s shoulder, the Pirate’s face was blank, with only a hint of resignation in those once determined eyes.

“Donghae…what are you saying?”

“I’m saying exactly what you think I’m saying…” Dongae slowly turned his head to gaze sadly at Hyukjae’s face, forcing the words out “Let me go Hyuk…I’m not good for you.”