The Past: Coming Together

Crashing Tides

 

 

Backstroy

 

 

The Past part vi

 

 

 

 

He had sneaked out.

Kind of

Kyuhyun had looked at him strangely when he saw Donghae wearing one of those huge cloaks with fitted hoodies which they used when they had to go deeper into Boala, that too undercover. Donghae had casually responded about having to go grab the swords he gave for repair and simply hoped into one of the small boats and rowed himself to Boala’s beach.

He found it exciting, exhilarating and a bit nonsensical, how he simply could not get his mind off of that Hyukjae. Granted the officer had saved his life, but still, Donghae had not expected his mind to be impressed n such a way that he could feel Hyukjae’s presence even in his absence. Donghae knew exactly why he was treading into Boala: to seek out Hyukjae. Donghae didn’t know what to call it, this feeling which was a bit more than that which he associated with those ladies at the pub. The ones he would take into the backroom and enjoy to his heart’s content. No, this feeling was a bit different and something very new to Donghae hence he was annoyed as well as thrilled by it.

Besides, Hyukjae was constantly on his mind, as much as that reality annoyed him, it was also, strangely enthralling.

Having concealed himself well under the worn out cloak of his Donghae’s first stop was the pub he usually went to. The pub was known to be a hotspot for every sort of criminal, even The Force approached the place with extreme caution and planning, but that was rare. The pub owner remained indifferent to the type of client he got, as long as they did not start and paid their due, just about anyone was welcome.

Donghae felt himself relax as he entered the familiar territory, brightly lit lanterns, heavy scent of liquor  and loud chatter boomed in the place as he maneuvered his way to the bar. Once he threw back the hood and revealed his face the owner grinned at him “Ah, my favorite Pirate, what shall you take for tonight?”

Donghae cocked his head, smirking over the owner’s shoulder at the two scantily clad auburn-headed girls who were both smiling shyly at him. Perhaps all he did need was a good lay, to state his ever-raging hormones and all thoughts of Hyukjae would fly out of his mind. He shot them a charming smile before switching his gaze back to the owner “Maybe those two, at the same time.”

“Excuse me, could I speak with you for a moment?” Donghae didn’t realize that inquiry was directed to him till a finger was prodding his shoulder. Disturbed he turned to scowl at whoever the brat was, though that scowl quickly changed into shock.

The face was familiar, somewhat concealed under a large hood that hung over his wine-red hair.

“Hyukjae?!” The Pirate hissed, disbelief dripping in his tone as his eyes darted around. Jumping ff the stool he took a step closer to whisper “The kraken are ye’ doing here?! Wanna get yer throat slit? Or is this some sort of raid?”

“Step aside and I’ll answer all your inquiries.”

Donghae scoffed and turning to point at the two ladies he quickly told the owner to not let anyone else take them. Then he grasped Hyukjae’s hand and made way to where the backrooms were located, it was more quiet there. However one his way Donghae spotted a few faces he wished he had not. Gasping he paused, hid behind Hyukjae to conceal his face which he could not manage in time.

“We need to run.” Donghae tightened his hold around Hyukjae’s wrist and bolted for the door. Hyukjae heard bullets being blasted after them as they ran out and deciding to ask later Hyukjae took the lead, dashing through well-known alleyways and ran down a flight of stairs, slammed open a door and let themselves in. The room went pitch black once he slammed the door shut, hands hastily bolting up some locks he had been accustomed to

 “Okay, what the was that al about?” Hyukjae panted, leaning back against the wall to catch his breath, Donghae pushed his back against the wall and slipped down, wincing as his made rough contact with the ground “One of them group of raiders, they usually raided trains but they got on the Cap’n’s bad side. We killed a few of their men and they took it personally.”

Hyukjae stared in Donghae’s general direction; he could hear the Pirate breathing hard, his own racing heart was gradually calming down. “Of course they would take it personally.”

Frowning Donghae heard slight shuffling and then footsteps, soon a small flame appeared and illuminated Hyukjae’s face. Hyukjae looked around, having been in this basement several times he remembered there being a lantern there, Once he found it, he lit it up, the orange light washed over him and he brought it back to Donghae, sitting down crossing his legs and looked him straight in the eye, “So why are you really here, Donghae?”

“Sight-seeing. What were you doing at a place known to be crawling with nightmare inducing criminals?” Donghae replied casually, only to retort back with a question.

“For a Pirate, you’re very bad at lying and perhaps you forget I was once a criminal myself, I know my way around such places.” Donghae found those words rather mysterious; he just really wanted to know all about just how Hyukjae’s life was back then. Bending one of his legs up, pressing the knee to his chest and sprawled an am over it as he grumbled “Takes one to know one.”

Hyukjar chuckled “Yeah I used to lie a damn lot too, though I’ve stopped doing it now, I try to be as real with myself and others as much as I can.”

Donghae eyed him for a while, the ever-observant Hyukjae caught his searching gaze and tilted his head in a silent question. Curiosity as gnawing at him so it didn’t take Donghae a long time to blurt it out “What was it like to ye’? Being a criminal and all? What did you exactly do?”

Slightly surprised at the Pirate’s interest Hyukjae scooted to lean back against the wall, sitting right by Donghae’s side. He lack of hostile hisses from Donghae about being too damn near was a notable and a rather remarkable change. Hyukjae himself felt a strange calmness surround them, feeling at ease with his odd-friend.

Were they friends though? Certainly not.

Feeling eyes on his Hyukjae turned his head, finding himself in close proximity. Close enough to see those chocolate orbs peering at him in sheer curiosity and Hyukjae smiled, he sure was enjoying the attention. “Fine then, since we both have time to spare…”

He didn’t dare deny the truth to himself, The Black Widow’s crew were the center of discussion within the office, however Donghae had gained significant amount of Hyukjae’s concern, maybe because he could see his past self in Donghae. In the sense that once upon a time Hyukjae was running from the law, living a fleeting life of a criminal, that criminal had made life changing decisions and here was, living a stable life and he felt the urge to show Donghae just how much better he could be and what a better life he could live if he wanted.

So Hyukjae launched into a brief story, summarizing some of his encounters, how he was initially an orphan and from then how events unrolled from there on. Donghae was apparently entirely immersed into his story, numerous expressions flashing over his face “..and then I was finally accepted into the Force, got trained, promoted and here I am.”

Donghae hummed, studying Hyukjae’s face. He  looked nostalgic yet absolutely content, something Donghae was never really given a chance to feel or when he did feel content it was in small bursts usually followed by an exploration quest having gone well or finding new treasures.

“What?” Hyukjae chuckled

“Yer brave, I like that about ye’…the way ye’ decided to make a better life and how yer all convinced about not lying anymore..” he trailed off, nodding silently as he turned his face straight to smile at the ground.

Hyukjae was finding all this very amusing and very nice.

“Yer not the dweby criminal chasing stone-faced officer I thought ye’ to be”

Hyukjae chuckled under his breath, lips stretching all the way to form a gummy smile “Why thank you, as shocking as all this sounds coming from you…you’re not too bad yourself, you’re not the brainless  hot-headed scoundrel I thought you to be either, I got to peek into this façade you keep up.”

Hyukjae had expected an instant snarl accompanied by an insult but when donghae simply turned to face him again with furrowed brows, looking rather worried, Hyukjae felt surprised yet again.

“I…I don’t remember thanking ye’ properly for saving my life.”

Hyukjae was gaping now, his tone nearing the edges of playful “Who are you and what have you done to that Pirate I met last time?!”

Donghae snorted, fending off a smile that attempted to crawl onto his lips “I’m still here, ye’ bockelheaded…thing ye’. Just, I’m trying to be honest okay!” The Pirate did swat Hyukjae’s shoulder in slight contempt and Hyukjae saw it for himself. That fiery sword-swinging Pirate was still there, he was just seeing a tamed version of him.

“Oh…okay then, good start, good job” he awkwardly patted him on the back, withdrawing instantly when Donghae’s shoulders jerked. Donghae did throw him a small smile, it abruptly went away though. Clearing his throat donghae averted his gaze to the ground “Tha-thank ye’ for savin-“

Hyukjae’s suppressed laughter cut him off he threw a side-ways glare while Hyukjae struggled to his laughter in “Ah-I’m sorry,it’s just, uh, never imagined I’d be hearing you actually thanking me but it’s good! It backs up my theory about you!” Hyukjae felt himself smile more.

“Ye’ have a theory about me? Do I want to know?”

Hyukjae hesitated, it showed through how his smile faltered and Donghae raised a brow “I’m going to take that as a ‘no’. I’m still curious though and whem I’m curious I can’t sleep. Might as well tell me now.”

“Hm…about that..” Hyukjae fidgeted a little, sheepishly ducking his head before straightening it back against the wall “Let’s just say, I have several theories about you, some which I can’t afford to just tell anyone about.”

Donghae’s eyes flashed, greatly intrigued and slightly hopeful “Oh?”

“Yeah oh I see you’re ankle’s all better now.”

Donghae rolled his eyes “If that was yer attempt of changing the subject, it , yes of course my ankle’s all better since we ran like madmen all the way here, now spill it out!”

“Spill what out?” Hyukjae feigned innocent wide eyes.

“Yer theory about me!”

“What theory?”

“Gaah! Yer doin’ this on purpose!!”

“Doing what?!”

“Oh that does it!” the very next second Donghae’s hand held onto a dagger which was pointed dangerously close to Hyukjae’s face, meanwhile Hyukjae had felt it coming so he had whipped out his revolver at the same time. Donghae’s lips were curled into a snarl, both of them breathing lowly and it took them a while to register just what they were doing.

Donghae huffed, backing away which made Hyukjae relax a bit too “Well…that was sudden.”

“S-sorry, I get frustrated quickly.”

“Yeah, now I know.”

The sudden tension that lingered in the air dissipated just as quickly. Hyukjae jerked as Donghae abruptly stood up “Well…thanks fer not tryin’ to arrest me this time.”

Hyukjae faked an impressed look “Wow look at you using ‘thanks’ and ‘sorry’ so well.  I knew you could do it!” he stood up to, entirely avoiding responding to the comment about not arresting him. Hyukjae could have totally nabbed him, Donghae was the one in them ost unfavorable position, being on the Boalan land for a Pirate like him was suicidal enough, officers Patroled each and every corner, infact this could have been the easiest arrest Hyukjae could have made.

“Well, bye.” Donghae dusted off his dark pants, inched to the door and opened it a bit to peek out.

“Here let me see if the coast’s clear” Hyukjae’s voice came from nearby and Donghae found himself jumping back. Hyukjae snorted and slinked out while Donghae adjusted his oversized cloak.

“Off you go then.”

Donghae brushed past him, throwing what looked like a smile over his shoulder or perhaps it was the dim moonlight playing tricks with Hyukjae’s infatuated mind. Hyukjae sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose

“Damnit.”

 

Donghae darted through the crowded streets of Boala, clinging onto his cloak as cold wind swept it  up. Donghae didn’t feel the cold though, tingling warm sensations ran through his body and he registered it a few seconds later, how he had a wide smile sketched upon his face. This was really weird for him and new, perhaps this was a different form of lust he was feeling? It had been a rather long time, his carnal desires needed to be satisfied. So he made a detour for one of the night clubs where he was a regular customer. That night Donghae lost himself and lust took over, pushing down onto one of the girls he had rented he let those frail arms embrace him as his hands explored her body.

He wanted to remove Hyukjae from his mind by taking in all he could of the curves and softness that the girl below him had. Hyukjae would fade off of his mind and he could get rid of the odd jittery, yet pleasant sensations that ran through him whenever Hyukjae’s smile would flash through his mind. Perhaps it was simply lust, or he was for now, not ready to face the truth that something within him was certainly changing.