Pandora

Crashing Tides

The very next day Hyukjae was speeding over the familiar path, going up the slope as his horse sprinted forth. Eager to tell donghae all he had found out and needing to know Donghae’s ultimate answer he rode as fast as he dared over the uneven slop that brought him higher and higher till he reached Sensei’s hut.

The first thing he noticed once his stallion skidded to a stop was the sheer silence.

It was too silent.

Silently jumping off the horse Hyukjae hand on instinct went for his revolver. Body crouched and tensed he slinked forward, pressing his back against the wall and holding his breathe.

Not a sound.

Taking a series of deep breathes to keep calm and not allowing the rain of negative thoughts to freak him out he proceeded to move forward along the wall, careful placement of feet till he reached the oddly wide open door.

This was so not right.

The possibilities of something having gone wrong were numerous, had the Liberators gotten to him?

Stop it, he ordered himself, a deep frown marking his face as he got ready to jump in through the door.

Though the very next second whne he heard a piercing shriek from inside he tore into a sprint, he had heard that shriek before, it was all too familiar. Forcing himself to not shout out Dpnghae name and try making sure the coast was clear he darted down the hall, whimpers and screams still being heard and he followed those sounds.

He followed till he reached the last room in the hall, puffing his cheeks as he tensed for possible action he sneaked a peak through the open door.

Sensei was looming over a wither Donghae.

“! Donghae?! Sensei??”

“Goodness son you gave me a scare and ah yes, this poor child, suddenly started screaming and clutching his head, mumbling about visions.”

Hyukjae crouched by Donghae’s side, shoving his gun back into its holder as he took donghae has, worriedly running his other hand over Donghae’s forehead, the Pirate was burning. His face flushed and pained, dry lips parted and moving in silent pleas.

“Hae, Im here.”

Donghae withered more, eyes shut tight as he wailed in pain “Make it s-stop!” his hands reached to clutch his hair but Hyukjae gently stopped him. Donghae’s legs flailed and scrambled, body wiggling like a fish out of water as he began to breathe through his mouth. Worry wrecked Hyukjae’s  nerves as he glanced up at Sensei.

Sensei shook his head woefully “This poor poor child, his memory having been blocked by magic, now that the block is near to breaking entirely, these headaches and this fever…it will only intensify. For now all we can do is wait for it to pass. Stay with him, I shall go look for any herb I can find to help him.”

Hyukjae could only nod, feeling miserable. He wished he could somehow yank out all the pain donghae was going through, to pull him out of his feverish fit, yet he could do nothing more than wait.

“Babe, it will be alright.” Cooing and coaxing he gently cradled Donghae’s head, shifting it onto his lap and running soothing fingers, feeling like crying himself as Donghae’s pained sobs echoed in the silent room. Slowly fury boiled within Hyukjae, the Captain would pay for all of this!

Hyukjae ducked his head, lowering it to press his lips against Donghae’s creased and clammy forehead.

“Gege!”

“Henry?!” Hyukjae’s head whipped around to witness Henry running in, a terrified Kyuhyun right at his heels and Sungmin slipped in after hem, his eyes wide “Met those two on the way- what the hell is going on here??”

“Them dreaded visions of his! ” Kyuhyun cursed as he sat down by Donghae “Help me remove his shirt.”

Hyukjae and Sungmin wordlessly did so. Henry was tearing up, he hated seeing his Gege like this “The captain would give him that blue medicine-“

“It was no medicine, just a potion that helped strengthen the block once it showed weakness, the block would grow in strength again and that would take away the pain” Kyuhyun growled, feeling as miserable but he was the kind who displayed his sorrow through his wrath.

And right now he was imagining several ways of torture the Captain in the most inhumane ways possible.

They made room as Sensei rushed in, pots of different colors and size cradle carefully in his arms as he scooped down, donghae’s withering and sobs had begun to dissipate, he seemed calmer, but his fever of course needed time.

“This young boy, such a bright soul he is, he was bouncing all over the place earlier, going on and on about how much he wanted to see you, he said he could feel you coming.” The Sensei remarked with a small smile, gesturing to hyukjae who swallowed hard, managing the tiniest of smiles as Sungmin laid a reassuring hand over his shoulder. “don’t you worry child, my herbs will help him just as much. Here” Sensei passed a couple of wet clothes to them and the four began to wipe Donghae’s torso, arms and head. Hyukjae gently wiped down his chest, forehead creased in an angry and worried frown but once Donghae opened his eyes a crack, Hyukjae actually felt some relief rush in.

“H-hyuk yer here.”

“Hi handsome, look, you have visitors.”

Donghae seemed unable to move his head, glistening eyes darted to his other side to find a resolutely frowning Kyuhyun and a sniffling Henry “Ye guys…are ye two alright?”

“Gege you’re the worst” Henry swallowed down a sob “Asking us how we are when you’re looking like this, did you hear how you were screaming?” Donghae managed a small smile “Couldn’t hear myself over the brain-splitting pain..huh, I’m weak.”

“No”

Glassy orbs travelled back to Hyukjae “You’re anything but weak, you’ve got your life to prove it.”

“Let him rest, here take this” Hyukjae gently raised Donghae head, enough to enable Donghae to take a few sips of the medicine Sensei had made. He grimaced at the taste, but forced it down anyway. A soothing coolness coursed through his head and down his body. Breathing a relieved sigh he glanced at all the worried faces hovering over him.

He smiled “Ye all look like someone died.”

“Shut yer trap!” Kyuhyun hissed, hating Donghae’s sense of humor.

 

 

They all slowly exited the room, the medicine was working hence Donghae’s eyelids grew heavy. Soon the Pirate was sound asleep, Hyukjae was the last to leave his side, pressing an affectionate peck softly on the slumbering pirate’s lips before silently leaving the room to join the rest. He found them lounging right outside the main entrance of the Hut.  

“Hyuk we’ve got good news.”

“Tonight there be a meeting of sorts on the lower deck, a few other members think The captain’s just bein’ plain evil.” Kyuhyun muttered conspiringly and Sungmin scoffed, instantly hrugging and looking away when Kyuhyun sent him a warning glare “So yea, there might be a small number of men willing to go against the Cap’n”.

“Great, Hyuk I’m heading off first, already filled these two gents on what we found out. Come back with a final answer from Donghae, we need to move quick. Last night Onew reported movement in the heart of the Kodak lizard’s territory.”

“Yes, that would be us” Henry sent a wary smile there way “Diggin’ for some magic stones.”

Hyukjae’s eyes narrowed and saw Sungmin looking at him knowingly “Digging for blue magical stones?”

“Yeah, exactly, how did you know?” Henry’s eyes darted in surprise and Hyukjae huffed “Those stones are called Pandora, said to be found in rich quantity around the area you all are digging, heart of those wretched lizard territory. Last time someone found them was 50 years ago, their existence is as good as a myth, because the person who reportedly found them didn’t remain alive long enough to verify his claim.”

“Ye sound like yer sayin’ this Panorma stone killed ‘im.” Kyuhyun snorted, frowning once he saw Hyukjae’s expression remained serious “It’s Pandora. And that’s exactly what I’m saying.”