Rolling Heads

Crashing Tides

Screeching sea gulls soaring up ahead added to the crashing sounds of the ravaging ocean, crew mates hollered at each other as the ship was steered sharply

“Land ho!” was sounded, the Captain of the ship steered the ship himself “Put a muscle into it ye scallywags! His hoarse booming commands occasionally swallowed by the sounds of ocean waves crashing against the body of the ship.

“Dong hai gege!”

Mop of unruly ginger hair rose up, a pair of kohl lined eyes stared up through the fringes as he huffed and grunted, raising a barrel.

“Capn’ wants you on deck! Says he got important news! The storm’s calming down too and we’ve reached the Nalo island!” the young Chinese lad that had told them his name was Henry nibbled nervously on his lower lip, he found Donghae intimidating, the body and looks of a demi-god and the sizzling intensity along with the thunder of his voice, but somehow Henry always managed to forget one small detail.

“It’s Donghae, not Dong hai you bockel-headed pup! Now scram!” Donghae playfully sneered, acting up a vicious snarl rather well since it sent Henry sprinting off.

He chuckled dryly, Henry’s words echoing in his mind and his brows furrowed, wondering what piece of land had they come upon this time.

A certain face flashed in his mind and he had to steady his heart, that was the face he had unwantedly bid farewell to last night and then they had sailed off. Scrubbing his forearm free of black blemishes as he made his way up the wooden stairs to the deck, where by now the Captain, a middle aged man stood leaning against the steering wheel of the ship, face unimpressed as he eyed Donghae.

“I thank ye, yer highness, for joining us low-lives up here, so kind of thee to take our yer precious time!” Donghae scowled lightly at the obvious mockery, sending a glare to some of the crewmates who sniggered, the men instantly shut their mouths and stood up straight. Donghae’s eyes travelled back up to regard the Captain.

“ ‘was lining up them barrels you asked me to, uncle, sorry to have kept ye’ waitin’. I hear there’s important news?” He cocked his head, wanting his uncle to quickly get off of his case. Lately the Captain had been rather imposing, donghae didn’t like it. Sure he got along very well with his uncle who had taken him in after his father’s mysterious death at sea, things were changing now though.

“Ah yes, yes important indeed. Jin, bring ‘em lads out and place them center, right there yes.” Captain descended slowly from the steps, wide shoulders swaying as he strutted forth. The boy named Jin shoved two men that appeared to have had their hands tied down behind their backs. The two tumbled onto the deck-painful- and groaned as they stared up with alarmed eyes.

“now these two, are men that joined our crew recently, or so we thought, I happened to find out these two were a pair of spying scum!” The Captain kicked one of the them on his shin, making the man roll away a bit “I know how we all know of the ‘code’, our brotherhood and the upholding of true pirate conduct is very important. I don’t ponder ye’ all need me to repeat a certain significant point amongst the ‘code’. A spy found amongst a crew of pirate, may they be disloyal crewmates or infiltrating rats, shall be made an example of, as a lesson for the rest of the crew.” The Captain circled around the two men, like a predator soaking in the fear that radiated off of its prey, soon to pounce.

“Ye’ all know what’s going to happen now, let this be a lesson for us all.” The captain dramatically gestured to them all, Donghae who stood at the end of the audience of the crewmates narrowed his eyes.

He watched on, without flinching as a crew mate was called upon to behead the spies. Donghae didn’t blink as blood spluttered and spewed when their heads were sliced clean off.

This was meant to be a lesson for them all; Donghae knew the captain never made any exceptions. Jaw clenched he gritted his teeth, sending a small smile once the Captain made eye contact with him, the old man was probably onto him or donghae was simply overthinking.

In any case, Donghae knew, it was possible that one day he’d be the one whose head would be sliced off.

 --

Hyukjae grimaced at the few rough sketches of Donghae’s captain’s face. Donghae had told them the Captain liked to call them Liberators, while their ship was called Black Widow. Huffing he had just begun to stack up the papers when his door was slammed open.

“Hyuk! The Pirates...” Hyukjae’s head snapped up from his paperwork, wide eyes studying his friend’s grave expressions. Wordlessly Hyukjae follows Sungmin outside the building, where several men stand muttering. They part like the red sea for their two superiors

“Brace yourself Hyuk…and steady your heart.” Sungmin’s hushed warning is a tad bit late. Hyukjae’s unblinking eyes land upon the contents of the two boxes as the lids are removed. He almost blanches, the strong metallic sent and the sight of beheaded heads coated in their own blood greets him. Heads of the two most skilled, elite spies that hyukjae had sent to infiltrate The Black Widow. He turns away and grabs at his face in horror as realization hits him.

The Pirates had perhaps, just declared war.

A storm was coming and this was only the beginning.