The Past: Hyukjae

Crashing Tides

 

 

Backstory

 

The Past:Part ii

Hyukjae

 

Hyukjae didn’t understand why it had to be him to pump out enough water for thirty bloody water buckets. For crying out loud he had been short-listed as one of the potential vice captains by the Chief himself and here he was, shirt sleeves rolled up till his shoulders, those biceps getting a wicked workout as he exerted, pumping the leever up and down to fill bucket after bucket, feeling that if he tried to stand up straight he would snap break his back in to two. Man did his back hurt like or what, he felt paralyzed already.

“Son, hurry it up, will ya’?”

“Hold your horses mate, I’m on it.” Hyukjae grunted as he finally pumped out enough water to fill the bucket. Good, two more to go, he thought with relief as he glanced. Withdrawing his hands he rolled his shoulders slowly, shoulder blades rising and falling in a smooth circular motion under his semi-drenched white shirt. “There ya’ go, ain’t Yeosub’s caravan here yet with the supplies?”

The man in front of Hyukjae undid a couple of his shirt’s top buttons, wincing at the heat in the late evening; the weather had been awfully hot and humid lately. “ No they aren’t but I sent out some of the boys to travel down the road they were supposed to come up from.”

Hyukjae nodded, scowling into the distance as the beat of horse hooves finally met his ears. He felt anxiety flutter within his chest as he jogged over to the approaching cowboy, scowl going deeper as he witnessed a slumbering child splattered in blood.

“Holy cow, what the hell happened!! Is the child hurt?”

The man demounted the horse, carefully holding the kid who had begun to whimper; the man’s expressions were forlorn “Naw Hyukjae, its much worse. It was a massacre, they only left this kid alive, I found him crying by his father’s almost beheaded dead body.”

It felt as if the heat of the sun had insanely gone up because what Hyukjae was feeling at the moment was not just one emotion. His face was scrunched in grief and anger as looked upon the child who had begun to wakeup, his large eyes looked onto unfamiliar faces and the desperate wails for his daddy started again.

“Take him inside, give him food and water.” Hyukjae spoke hoarsely, keeping his voice as low as he could. That night while in a certain hut, pair of smoldering eyes were zeroed onto a ‘wanted’ poster of a certain Ginger-head pirate, that certain Ginger-head pirate was dancing it away on a certain ship somewhere in the sea, slurring along the loud music playing on the decks as he danced and swayed with a bottle of alee in his hands in victory.

It was not that Hyukjae had lived the life of a law-abiding citizen who never harmed a fly. Quite the contrary, Hyukjae, as a young child had been adopted by a rich family, which alter turned out to be a large mafia gang who had trained Hyukjae in the skill of stealth and attack, looting caravans and kidnapping people, he was pretty much doing exactly what Donghae and his crewmates did.

All that had changed though when he witnessed his own adopted family be brutally murdered by a rival group, the reality of the kind of life he was living as a young teen set in, this was not the kind of reality he wanted. He did not want to go through the pain of having to loose someone who had become to mean something to him. So, after paying for his crimes through fine and social service he begged to be considered for Boala’s national force. After taking into account his obedient conduct and general good behavior he was put through trials, written and physical tests that he passed, proving himself good enough to become part of the Force. He had begun to feel like he had attained a new life, a new sense of purpose, being an ex-criminal gave him the edge over several other fellow Force members. He was able to think like a criminal, fore sighting their moves and soon he was rising up ranks, one at a time. The human psyche interested him greatly, he loved reading into people, may it be there body language or simply how they spoke. Hyukjae’s over-all cool temperament helped managing stress and pressure, his past however, always haunted him.

When it became common knowledge that a crew of murderous Pirates were rumored to be headed towards Boala, Hyukjae’s superiors formed a special team, which included Hyukjae. For Hyukjae this was just another group of criminals he needed to bring in, of course, he had not expected what Fate had decided for him.

---

a/n: short, I know, don't worry, it is all building up to something.