The Past: Donghae

Crashing Tides

A/n: Hey there guys, from here a brief Backstory arc will be starting, just to give you guys a taste of how our badass boys used to be before having encoutnered each other. Then I'm hitting the main plot fully

 

 

 

 

 

 

Backstory Arc

The Past: Part i

Donghae

 

 

The sun was at its peak, bright and hot, everything under it was seething. On a wide dusty pathway debris flew as loud yells and screams were sounded. A pair of kohl lined brown eyes beamed, a wicked grin on his face as he moved from one target to the other, swinging his swords almost like an artist, dancing around and slashing them throw flesh. His steps were light, a bounce and rhythm in his movements as he cut through flesh, dancing to a rhythm only he heard, this was his sadistic pleasure and in this moment, the whole word was his. He sung in his mind, counting down bodies as they fell, some injured, some dead, he just needed them out of his way. The rushing adrenaline had caused a merry smile plastered on his face and once those ecstasy filled eyes landed on the gold and he let out a hoot of victory as he charged forward, one last man standing in between him and what he desired. He heard the shrill cries of a child behind the man, he paused in front of the man, and the crazed grin lit his face as he motioned the man to step aside

“Move”

“No!”

“Fine then, I shall use persuasion and reason” Donghae smirked, brown eyes glowing brighter as he raised the sword in his right hand “Here’s persuasion” and then he lifted the sword in his left hand “Here’s reason.”

The child just cried out louder as the man refused to move and so the swords moved, slitting his throat. Blood spluttered out, the child sank to his knees, shaking and shivering as his eyes widened, entirely in shock as he watched in horror, his dad gurgling and drowning in his own blood.

“Donghae! That’s enough, just grab the gold and come on!” His ear tips perked at the call and so, shooting a smirk at the wailing child he muttered “Man up, kid “ and grabbed the sack full of gold and treasure.

--

Donghae let it fall with heavy thud on the deck of their ship, finally sailing through the waters made him feel much more comfortable than having to travel on land. Heck life at sea had been the only life he knew.

“Donghae, you never fail to amuse me, lad.” A gruff voice made him look up and smile widely, proud about having been- once again- the one to bring back a huge amount of treasures and valuables.

“And just how much was your body count this noon, that caravan was rather big!”

“Just left the kid out, the lil runt must learn what a scum life is.” His shrewd grin made the Captain laugh heartily, gruff tone and wrinkled eyes laughing as he nodded “ Your father was just the same, hardened to the core, a great pirate indeed! Well you’ve deserved a good rest, nephew! And a good amount of share too.” The Captain handed over a heavy looking round sack to Donghae who grinned in triumph, swinging it around in scowling faces of his crewmates “Thank ye, Cap’n”. His ship’s-The black Widow- crew was great in numbers, which meant the crew would have different sentiments and Donghae could feel the scent of jealousy and rivalry in the air.

Ah, the perks of being first-mate.

But everyone knew, messing with Donghae was akin to calling upon the wrath of the Kraken onto them.

Donghae sneered as he passed by a few sour-faced crew members who simple averted their gazes and got back to their work after the loot on the noon’s ‘raid’ had been distributed by the Captain.

Donghae sauntered into his chamber, a less shabby room allocated to him on the same level as the Captain’s room was located in. Donghae’s mind drifted to his father, sparked by how his uncle had earlier mentioned the great pirate of The Black Widow.

Donghae remember how he was still a young boy when he lost his father. His uncle reported of having been there when Donghae’s father was mysteriously lost to the unforgiving and treacherous sea. Donghae’s life had been sailing on The Black Widow, for as long as he could remember; he was brought up, taught and trained on this ship by his uncle. Having grown up watching men brave the wild waves and looting others, Donghae soon began to display talents of his own, which favored the life style of reckless pirates. Talents that impressed his uncle very much and once he turned twenty he was instantly announced as the First-mate. His uncle was pretty much the family he had left, hence he looked up to the great Pirate as someone to learn from and to confide in. His uncle was the only memory of Donghae’s father, Donghae’s own memories of his dad were rather vague, having been a boy when his Father used to be alive, the real owner of The Black Widow.  His death meant the ship now rightfully belonged to Donghae, who was indeed looking forward to become Captain soon. Hs uncle had in the meanwhile looked after the ship, it was common knowledge amongst Pirates that once a rightful heir hit the age of thirty the Ship was to be handed over to him as the rightful Captain. Donghae’s uncle promised to look over the ship as the tentative Captain for the meantime.

And today, Donghae was known to be one of the most dangerous and most wanted Pirates over several nations.

He was so proud of himself it brought tears of happiness to his eyes!

His life had been plundering and looting, snatching away the livelihood of others, snerring and smirking in faces of children and crying mothers, it was routine  for him, when it came to emotions he had a hard time relating or expressing them ,mostly because he had not had attaiend the kind of familial love that most young growing children did. Likewise he had never expereinced love, fo course lust had shouted it's presence at him and made itself known, upon which Donghae had acted several times, but that would be it. Even to his crewmates, a few he got along with were reffered to with rather comical words, which originated from endearment and a sense of being comrades.

He grinned happily and he turned the sack of his share of loot and money onto the floor, the contents clattering and clanging onto the floor, music to his ears and bliss to his soul. That night the crew celebrated, another town successfully ransacked and lots more gold and material looted. Rum was passed around and crew mates good with musical instruments, played music to their heart’s joy. As the Captain stood grinning,  Donghae shouted in delight, dancing to the beat of the drums. That night they sailed towards a country called Boala, according to some members of the Pirate brotherhood Boala contained a rare majic deep within it's land, in the underground caves.

The thrill and excitememt of exploring a new place, to be able to see people wither and sink in fear before them excited Donghae.

 

 

However, life as Donghae knew it, was about to change.