Chapter fifteen

Prince Oh and Heartthrob Kim in Love

 

 

Sehun didn't expect what welcomed him the moment he came back home. His father's company had completely fallen down and no chance of saving it back. Worst, he was sued of embezzlement,corruption, and illegal bribery. His mother's weak heart couldn't handle the unfortunate event occurred in their family and was hospitalized since then. His father had been away for so long dealing against the lawsuit. Sehun understood then the reason he was called back home. Not only to look out for his mother but mainly because their current state couldn't support him anymore.

He struggled not to breakdown infront of his sick mother. To encourage his miserable father. And remind himself to be strong and to not lose hope. He didn't let Jongin know everything his family's going through. Because stupid Jongin would have fly back to Korea,to him, and abandon his studies without hesitation. And he would never allow it.
 So he pretend to be happy whenever he call to Jongin. He run out of reason to tell Jongin why he couldn't make it back to California. Until he decided to not call or send him messages every single day,like he promised. He knew he's hurting Jongin but he don't how else to cover up what was happening to him in Korea.

After two months of trial,his father was charged of multiple Grand Larceny and felony charges of bribery and conspiracy. He didn't know how to tell his mother his father's imprisonment for five years and that their wealth was taken away. He was gravely devastated to watch his father behind bars,his mother bedridden,their house and everything taken away from them. 

"Jongin,it's me Sehun," he swallowed the lump in his throat and pursed his trembling lips, "Please call me if you receive this,Please."

Jongin won't answer his calls. He needed him badly at those times but he's out of reach. He need Jongin to make him feel that everything will be alright. Maybe no use to let Jongin know that his own father,as the Mayor, turn his back to Sehun's father when they sought help to him. Sehun couldn't buy a ticket back to California and be with Jongin. He sent him endless emails since the older couldn't be reach by phone. The speck of hope remaining in him perish after reading Jongin's last email.

"I'm with Chany now. Let's separate,I don't wanna wait for you anymore. Thanks for everything and Goodbye."

Sehun's world crashed. He never felt so lost and alone. He never hated the world, his life, and God more than he did during those time. He was forced to work at the factory they once own to pay for the remaining debt of his father. He work and work without a cent in return. And he needed to take extra jobs to sustain his mother's medical bills and their food.

------

"Woah,Soohan?" Jongin stares in awe at a magazine.

"You know her?," Jongdae asks grabbing the magazine to Jongin, "She's pretty famous internationally. She just debuted in Korea six months ago but look how big she is now."

"We used to be really really close in highschool. I knew she's crazy about being an idol. I'm glad she made it." says Jongin proudly.

"Really?Woah..So jealous! Do you know how much I'm madly inlove to her! She's my dream girl! Someday I'll meet her and whether she likes it or not I'm gonna marry her." Jongdae let out a creepy smile.

"I highly recommend you to think wisely,really really think deep. You don't know how crazy she is."

"Stop lying! She's extremely sweet and lovable. That's why she conquered the world of music in less than a year!!!"

"Don't be fooled by her angelic face,my friend." Jongin laughs petting Jongdae's head. Jongin bought the magazine. He still can't believe Soohan really made it to fame. And he wonders if Sehun saw it too. He shakes his head to rid of the thoughts he doesn't wanna remember anymore.

First year in Stanford ends and Jongin couldn't explain how happy he is. He never thought he'll make it to another year. It's vacation and he badly wanted to go back in Korea. When he goes home one night,he didn't expect to see his father inside his apartment.

"How have you been?" his father asks.

"Good so far. What brought you here without telling me? Is mom with you?"

His father gestures him to sit on the couch infront of him,so he did.

"She told me you wanna go back in Korea next week." 

"Yeah,why? something wrong with that?" Jongin asks in uneasiness. His father wouldn't travel out and leave his beloved office just to ask him this.

"Stay here."

Jongin blinks in confusion, "No,I'll go home."

" I fully paid this building's owner to cater your meals,just ask whatever you want to eat anytime. I left enough amount on your shopping credit card and you can call me if you need cash."

"Why are you doing this?" Jongin cuts off his father but in a low voice despite his bubbling rage.

"I took your passport and visa away. You can't leave this country anytime soon. You can't use your bank accounts anymore."

"WHY?! What's wrong with you?!" he lost his control over his temper.

"I told you,you can't leave here. That's it,call me if anything happens, I'll take my leave now." His father stands up and walk towards the door.

Jongin momentarily freezes on his seat trying to comprehend his father's action. Dash off and run outside to catch his father. He blocks his body on the closing door of elevator and confront his father.

"Is it Sehun?!," he asks between heavy pants, "What happen to him?!"

"Nothing." his father reply coldly, "Just mind your own life."

"I won't let you go away without telling me exactly what happen to him."

"Go back to your place now." his father commands in stern expression.

"NO!"

"KIM JONGIN!" his father shouts.

Jongin trembles and can't control his emotion anymore, "Just tell me if he's okay,please father,I'm begging you," he let his tears stream down.

"His father got imprisoned and lost all their wealth. Aside from that he's doing fine."

Jongin shakes his head in disbelief and shock. "Let me see him,father. Please, I'll do everything you want me to. I'll study extra hard and go to Law school like you always wanted me to. Just let me go and see Sehun for once." he hold his father and embraces him tightly hoping that it will make him pity him.

"I'll let you go after you graduate. You'll be stuck here until you finished studying."

"Don't do this to me,I'm begging you."

Jongin didn't give up begging his father everyday as all of his previous attempts was of no avail. He doesn't have a single cent on his pocket. He could have borrowed money from his friends but how to make it outside the states without his identifications was the hardest. He tried countless times to contact Sehun but the latter's phone has been disconnected and email deactivated. He blame himself for being stupid and betraying Sehun. He should have trusted him and waited. He wrote letters to Sehun everyday and mail them across the separated continents they belong, desperately hoping that he could still save himself losing Sehun.

 

-----
Sehun forces a smile wiping the corners of his mother's mouth after feeding her. He only uses that sort of pretense infront of his sick mother. He can't remember the last time he genuinely smiled,not that he cares about it.  Living like a dead person everyday with his daily routine of working multiple jobs, visit and feed his mother still confined in the hospital,sleep for two, if lucky enough sometimes,three hours,eat,then work again.

He wraps the warm blanket tightly around his now already sleeping mother and glances at his watch. He got two hours to sleep before another restless day starts again. A click on the room's door snaps his head. And eyes widen at the appearance of the unexpected guest.

"Sehunnie." says Soohan in a solemn voice running towards him and embracing him tightly.

"Soohan."

"How have you been Hunnie? I'm sorry I was too late to be here for you. I didn't know! I'm so sorry!"

Sehun rubs Soohan's back to ease her from crying, "It's okay Soohan,I understand. I'm glad you're here now."

Sehun means it. Soohan's sudden appearance somehow gives him a drop of happiness that he never felt for so long. He tries to sound okay infront of Soohan who's entirely and completely different from the Soohan he used to know. They catch up with each other's life for a little while. 

"Sorry Soohan,I can't do what you're asking from me." Sehun stands and look away from Soohan.

"Why not Sehunnie? Why can't you do it with me? We know each other very well. I need your help,you need my help. I can't understand why you won't choose to be with me instead."

"You're my friend,Soohan." 

"The perfect reason why you have to choose me. Please Sehun,I need your help. Please save me this once. I don't want to lose everything my father work hard for. You know how it feels,you've been there."

Sehun stares,lost for words to say. He doesn't know if it's the right choice to make. To marry Soohan and take the position left by her deceased father in their corporation.

"Please Sehun," Soohan walks closer to him and hold his hands, "Didn't we promise to marry each other from the start,anyway? You made that promise with me first. And didn't I tell you I won't get married if it's not you?"

Sehun heaves a deep sigh, "Let me think for awhile,okay?"

"Yah! I'm running out of time here! But fine I'll give you three minutes to think!" Soohan sets her phone's alarm.

"You're scary that's why I'm having more than two doubts." Sehun glares.

"I promise, I won't bite!" Soohan raise her hand to swear, "In daylight."

Sehun chuckles, "I never imagine it's my future wife who will propose to me in a very unsuitable place and very unromantic way."

"So it's a yes?!" Soohan eyes grow wide open.

"Yes. To end your sufferings." Sehun smiles.

"Thanks a lot Sehun. I owe you my life!" Soohan hugs him once again.

"I owe you mine too,Thanks."

 

-----
Jongin shuts the door behind him with his left heel and throw his brown satchel on the couch. He opens the fridge and grab two bottles of energy drinks. He slumps down on the couch and lazily turns on the TV scanning the channel. His heart freezes and entire body turns cold when his eyes read the news headline on the screen.

"Korean World Popstar, Hanna, secretly married her childhood sweetheart Oh Sehun."

Jongin throws the bottle he's holding to the flashing wedding picture of the couple, smashing the screen into pieces.

"Traitors!" his breathing hitches as he fall down on the floor and cry.