He seems to me equal to the gods

Say, do you wanna sail on the Namsong river?
 
Nam Taehyun's thoughts were full of the tanned boy as he made his way home after their study session. He did not expect much, or any contribution from the boy at all so he was very surprised to see him understanding every word he said, and even more surprised to see he had his own ideas to add to the project. He had thought this college would be full of losers who could not get into better colleges, students with low GPA scores and those riddled with bad grades from High School but who still wanted to go to college somehow. He had some serious re-thinking to do, he told himself.
 
He put extra effort in his work that night. To be quite honest, he did feel a little miffed when Mino pointed out certain inadequacies in his ideas so now he was determined to make his part of the work perfect so there won't be anything to point out. He did not know why he was trying so hard to impress the boy, however, he did not linger on it and attributed it to his competitive nature. He worked long into the night that he was almost late for class the next day.
 
 
After all his classes ended for the day Taehyun entered the coffee shop to wait for Mino and decided to order their drinks in advance so that Mino won't pay for it again like last time. He remembered Mino's drink of choice; he even ordered extra muffins since the boy seemed to enjoy them so much. He again wondered why he noticed such things but the counter-boy with the ID tag "Baekhyun" was giving him such a strange look he stopped thinking and glared at him, picking up his tray in a huff. He had a nagging feeling that Baekhyun's eyes were following him when he made his way back to his seat. Taehyun had to force himself not to look his way even when he sat down on his table. 
 
Mino finally arrived, loud as usual and greeted almost every person in the coffee shop. When he saw the pre-ordered drinks and muffins he gave such a huge smile it made Taehyun feel like he had just saved a country or something. He figured that it won't take much to make this boy happy. They calmly started on their work with their books lying haphazardly on the table while they concentrated on their laptops, occasionally sipping on their respective coffees or glancing at each other's screens to discuss an important point.
 
 

"Yo Mino! Wow. You're studying? This is a moment to remember," somebody called out giving the tanned boy a hi-five as Mino enthusiastically greeted back. Taehyun was getting a bit annoyed. This was the fifth time someone had come to greet Mino at their table; it was getting difficult to concentrate. Yes, Taehyun counted, he was obsessive like that. Like yesterday when three groups of people came to say 'Hi' to Mino, taking up almost 15 minutes of their study time. He wondered if the boy knew everyone in the college and how it was possible to greet everyone by name. Taehyun couldn't comprehend, but then he never really really paid attention to people outside of his social group, even when he was in High School.

 
Taehyun looked over to Mino who was still talking to his friend. This boy's existence seemed to be a whole lot of contradictions, he mused. Based on his appearance alone one would think he couldn't care less about his studies, but the work he showed Taehyun today was precise and insightful. If he didn't smile he looked a little rough around the edges and tough but when he did smile it lighted up his whole face which made him look warm and inviting. Taehyun wondered how the boy was even able to study with his very large circle of friends who always seemed to hang around him. What he could glean from the people who came to their table was that they have never seen Mino study, which made Taehyun curious as to how Mino even came up with his part of the project. 
 
Taehyun's phone rang, signalling an incoming message and he opened it. "!" he cursed out loud as he quickly typed a reply. Mino looked at him, eyes questioning.
 
"I'm sorry, I have to go. Someone's waiting outside my apartment and only I have the keys" Taehyun said getting up, hurriedly started packing his things.
 
"Oh, all right," Mino replied, still seated.
 
"Well, aren't you coming?" Taehyun asked, standing up.
 
"Me? Where?" there was a confused look on Mino's face.
 
"My apartment of course. Trying to study at the coffee shop was a bad idea in the first place. I didn't know you knew everyone in this stupid college," Taehyun huffed.
 
"So you mean..." the confused boy started.
 
"Yes, we are going to study at my place so you'll have to come with me. Hurry up and pack your things. We already lost precious time with your friends coming over every five minutes," Taehyun continued in irritation. Really, he took back what he thought about the boy being intelligent, this Mino here seemed so dense right this moment.
 
Mino started packing his things quickly at Taehyun's tone and they made their way over to the students' parking lot. "Wait here," Taehyun told Mino as he made his way over to a sleek black cruiser bike parked in the middle of other two-wheelers. He swiftly jumped on it and kick started the bike, the machine gave out a smooth rumble and he rode it over to where the tanned boy was waiting.
 
"Here, take this," Taehyun said, giving the helmet to the boy. "I am in a hurry so I might run a few red lights," he said lightly which brought out a surprised look from the other boy. "I'm kidding, but I have only one helmet so you better take it," he continued holding out his hand which the boy took. 'Did I just joke with the guy?' Taehyun mused. 'What has this boy done to me?' he asked himself as Mino climbed to seat himself behind him.
 
"Didn't know you ride a bike," Mino asked from behind. Taehyun could hear the smile in his tone.
 

"Of course you won't. We've only met," he cheekily replied as he started zooming out the campus. He's never given anyone a ride before as he preferred the solitude, but having Mino on his back was not as bad as he anticipated. The boy seemed to be having a lot of fun, putting both his arms out as if he was in a movie and screaming "Ooooooh." Since their college was located on the outskirts of the city there was hardly any traffic and the excited Mino behind him made Taehyun want to thrill the boy a little as he drove on the borderline of the speed limit, a huge grin on his face the entire time which he made sure to hide from the boy sitting behind him.

 
"That felt so ing good!!" Mino exclaimed, handing him back the helmet and straightening up his hair. Taehyun watched him in silent amusement and wondered again if everything was a thing of joy to this smiling boy.
 
"Well, we're here," he told Mino as he led their way inside the high-rise building that housed his apartment. 
 
"Wow! You live here? No wonder you don't put up at the dorms," the boy exclaimed again making Taehyun feel somewhat pleasant.
 
"Even the elevator is bigger than our dorm bathroom," the boy blurted out again as they entered the elevator to reach Taehyun's pad.
 
"You're exaggerating!"  Taehyun quipped but his tone did not come out accusatory like he intended.
 
"Have you seen the dorms?" the boy asked him with laughter in his voice.
 
"No, I haven't," he conceded.
 
"Then I assure you I'm not exaggerating," the boy replied as he straightened out his clothes.
 
When the elevator doors opened Taehyun quickly rushed out, excitedly calling out "Bobby!" as he made his way to his apartment door where a skinny boy was waiting with a ton of luggage. The boy held out his arms as Taehyun jumped on his body and gave him a strangling hug.
 
"Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" he asked Bobby, pouting a little, he couldn't help it. He missed him so much.
 
"I wanted it to be a surprise, but stupid me didn't think you'll be at the college for so long," Bobby explained gently putting him down.
 
"Oh yeah, I was studying for a project, Mino," Taehyun called out to the boy who had arrived at their side. "This is Bobby. Bobby, Mino" Taehyun introduced. The two boys seemed to be sizing each other up for an instant to be quickly filled with smiles as they greeted each other with the trademark hip-hop handshake of slap, bang, and grab; patting each other at the back. Taehyun looked at them in amusement, both dressed in a similar style of skinny jeans with the waist at their butts and extra large tees with light hoodies. 
 
"Now that we're acquinted let's get inside," Taehyun announced, moving towards the door and opening it with his key and punching in the password.
 
"How did you even know I live here now?" he asked Bobby as they made their way inside.
 
"I asked your mum, and asked her to keep my arrival a secret from you," Bobby replied and then exclaimed "Woah! This is where you put up? How much did you blackmail your parents to allow you to stay here?" 
 
"You wouldn't even believe," Taehyun laughed. "Here's the bedroom, just leave your stuff there and we'll sort it out later. Mino, would you like anything to drink?" he asked the boy who was still standing awkwardly near the door. Taehyun felt a little bad for him at the sight. He did jump the impromptu study session on him. 
 
"Sure, water would be great. My throat's dry from the ride," the boy smiled.
 
"Okay, um ... the study room is that way so why don't you go settle and I'll bring the drinks inside," Taehyun gestured towards the study, showing the way to Mino.
 
"What about me? I'm parched too, and I came ALL the way from America," Bobby whined as he came out from the bedroom. 
 
"You can get it yourself. Since you're gonna stay with me for a while you better get yourself acquinted with the flat fast. Come, the kitchen's this way," Taehyun replied as he led the way.
 
"I even have your favourite ramyeon ready, maybe I had a sixth sense telling me that you were coming," he excitedly chattered to Bobby as he opened his refrigerator to get drinks for him and Mino.
 
"YES! And what's that I see in the bedroom huh? A queen sized bed? I bet you were lonely sleeping there all by your lonesome eh? Don't worry, I'm here to keep you warm now," Bobby said, hugging him from the back
 
Taehyun laughed as he shook him off. "Keep your hands away from me or I'll make you sleep on the couch," he warned with a wagging finger but Bobby did not look like he cared, just like he remembered, Taehyun thought. Now the apartment won't feel so cold and empty anymore.
 
"Okay, so Mino and I have important work to do so make yourself at home and do NOT play loud music okay?" he warned as he made his way to the study where Mino was waiting with his laptop already opened. 
 
"Here's the water," he said offering the tray to Mino, "and a cold drink if you like. Sorry about that, I had no idea he was arriving today and I didn't want to cut our study time short," he explained hurriedly to Mino.
 
"It's all right," the boy smiled as he took a glass from the tray.
 
"So, where were we?" he asked, seating himself next to Mino and opened his laptop.
 
They continued with their work as if they hadn't been disturbed at all. Taehyun liked the simpleness of it, this study relationship. He was prone to being awkward around strangers, sometimes being downright rude to hide his social ineptness. However, this project partnership seemed to be going quite well, he decided.
 
 
 
 
"I think I better go," Mino said looking at his watch. Taehyun glanced at the window, he saw that it had gotten dark outside. They had been concentrating hard for what seemed to be hours.
 
"Yeah, my mind is not really working properly anymore," Taehyun agreed, stretching himself as Mino moved to pack his things.
 
Taehyun suddenly remembered that they came to his apartment on his bike. He had no idea how he could so casually invite Mino over without even considering the boy's feelings. He was also surprised Mino agreed so easily to the sudden change in arrangement. His apartment was a bit away from the campus, and that one needed to change buses twice to go back. He mentally face-palmed himself at being so erratic with his actions.
 
"Wait!" he called out as Mino put on his bagpack. "I'll have to drive you back. It'll take you a while to get back with public transport," he decided.
 
"That's okay. There's no need," the boy declined.
 
"No, really, it's my fault for the change of plans, I'll drive you back," he said, getting up to put on his leather jacket.
 
"No, really..." Mino was about to protest again when Bobby came into the room. 
 
"Oh, you guys are done? Finally! I don't know how you college students could study like that. It's so boring, now, Tahyun-ah, come play with me," he whined to Taehyun.
 
"Sorry babe, I need to drop Mino back at campus," Taehyun said as he looked around for his car keys.
 
"Is this how you treat me after I traveled 15 hours on a plane? And you only fed me ramyeon which I had to cook myself," Bobby nagged.
 
"It's okay, really," Mino spoke up again. "I can go back by myself. You need to look after your tired friend," he said, gesturing towards Bobby who smiled at him in gratitude.
 
"Oh, he's not a friend. Bobby actually is my..." Taehyun started but he was cut off by Bobby shouting.
 
"Oh wait, wait, Taehyun-ah, I even got you something from the States, that thing you have wanted for a really really long time." Then to Mino he added, "See what a nice person I am bro, and he won't even give me his time of day."
 
Mino laughed at Bobby's words. "Of course, I understand."
 
"So you'll know your way back to campus?" Taehyun enquired, he really felt bad but if he didn't want Bobby to start telling Mino embarassing stuff about himself, he had to let him go. Bobby could be pretty vicious if he didn't get his way.
 
"No problem," Mino assured him.
 
"Do you know how to ride a bike?" Taehyun asked, suddenly coming up with an idea.
 
"Yeah, I have one back at home but....."
 
"Fine then, if you don't want me dropping you take my keys and I'll come to get them from you after class tomorow," Taehyun said, flinging the keys in his direction which Mino deftly caught.
 
"But..." Mino protested.
 
"It's okay" Bobby answered for Taehyun. "Take it while he's nice. He never lets anyone ride his bike ever." 
 
"Shut up," Taehyun said, whacking Bobby in the arm.
 
"Not even me," Bobby continued, ignoring Taehyun who was grinning in embarassment.
 
"FIne, I'll take good care of it," Mino promised as he made his way out of the apartment.
 
*****
 
Mino was very excited to be able to ride a bike in Seoul. He had his own motorcycle back in Busan which he restored himself but it was too cumbersome to bring it all the way to the capital. He guessed his younger sister would have the time of her life with it now. Their father had objected at first, telling Danah that motorcycles were for boys but his sister, being the feisty one, had absolutely ignored their father's request and took the bike out more often than Mino. 
 
However, the ride back to campus was not as thrilling as he had hoped. Sure the machine's engine was smooth and the night air was refreshing, but Mino couldn't help wondering who that Bobby person was and what his relationship with Taehyun was. He still wasn't even sure if Taehyun was gay or not, and now there was another person in the mix. He did not have a good feeling about it. He preferred it when he was very certain that Taehyun was a loner, that would've made it easier for Mino to get closer to him. He knew he was being quite selfish, but his heart was hurting a little so he felt he deserved to be a little wrapped up in himself just this one time.
 
Also, he had seen the most glorious smile from Taehyun today, even laughter, and Mino was not the one who caused it. He wanted to be the one to make the fair-skinned boy smile, he wanted the boy to laugh at his jokes and not anybody else's. However, it seemed someone had already beat him to it. Though, on further retrospection, he was also happy to know that Taehyun is not as cold as he seemed when he was in college. He deemed himself lucky to be able to see that side of Taehyun which he was sure nobody else in the college had seen. He had seen the longing looks other people in the class gave Taehyun whenever he entered the class, and he was the one who is going to hang out with him on a regular basis. He felt a little pride in that fact. He was eternally grateful to his friends for making it all possible.
 
So whoever that Bobby person was, even though he seemed really nice and even if he was Taehyun's boyfriend, Mino will fight for his right to be with Taehyun, he resolved.
 
*****
 
 
He is more than a hero
 
He is a god in my eyes —
the man who is allowed
to sit beside you — he
who listens intimately
to the sweet murmur of
your voice, the enticing
laughter that makes my own
heart beat fast. If I meet
you suddenly, I can’t
speak — my tongue is broken;
a thin flame runs under
my skin; seeing nothing,
hearing only my own ears
drumming, I drip with sweat;
trembling shakes my body
and I turn paler than
dry grass. At such times
death isn’t far from me.
               - Sappho (Ancient Greek Poet)
                       Translated by Mary Barnard
 
A/N: A little bit of Taehyun's POV this time. Damn he's so difficult to write. I hope I didn't mess up too badly. I'm really nervous about this chapter.