Sleep with thought of you

Say, do you wanna sail on the Namsong river?

Mino came to the apartment looking like he has not slept in days. His hair was disheveled and there were bags under his eyes, his smile seemed too tired to even reach his eyes. Taehyun watched without a word from his seat at his study desk as his boyfriend entered his room after letting himself in the apartment, having possession of an extra key. Mino shuffled towards him and gave him a brief “Hey” with a peck on his lips. He turned around then, sluggishly making his way to the bed and plopped face-down mumbling “It’s finally over.”

Taehyun felt the beginning of an affectionate smile forming on his face as he watched sleep overtake Mino. Today was the last day of Mino’s exam and they barely had time to meet during the exam season, with Taehyun’s rigid study schedule and Mino’s cramming tendencies. He missed the boy, he thought as his gaze flitted over the handsome features of his boyfriend, still visible even though exhaustion lines were all over the face.

Taehyun still had one last exam to give, but Mino had asked if he could come over, promising to behave himself and Taehyun could not say No. He noticed that the boy had not even bothered to take off his jacket. He tch’d like a mother hen and got up from his seat to help take the big winter jacket off Mino and placed the blanket over his body. Mino turned to face him in his sleep as he snuggled under the blankets, and with his eyes closed, Taehyun can see the long lashes almost fanning his high cheekbones. He felt a rising urge to stop doing whatever he was doing and commit the sleeping boy’s face to memory instead. He shook his head again, he noticed he seemed to be doing that a lot lately and chuckled to himself as he went back to his desk, studiously avoiding to look at the sleeping boy in the same room until he finished studying what he had set for himself.

Bobby called him when it was dinner time, Mino was still sleeping and Taehyun didn’t have the heart to wake him up. His cousin had also finished giving his exam, being a language student he only had 2 papers to give, but Bobby had made it a point to take care of Taehyun’s nutritional requirements during the exam season. He knew Taehyun had a tendency to neglect everything else when he was studying.

Taehyun barely had an appetite to eat as he played with his food. The stress of the exam was getting to him, he required perfect grades. Now that Mino was in his room again after so long, he also remembered the impending talk he needed to have with the boy.

“Hey… eat up,” Bobby scolded from across the table, making Taehyun look at him.

“I am,” Taehyun said as he took a spoonful of soup to prove his point.

“It’s only been 3 weeks and you already look like you lost a lot of weight,” Bobby informed him as he pushed more bowls of food in front of Taehyun. “I gave up my love life to ensure you’re eating right so you better not fall sick on me.”

Taehyun scoffed at that. “What love life?”

“You know who I’m talking about. I should introduce you to her soon,” Bobby smiled until his eyes disappeared into slits. Of course, Taehyun knew who Bobby was talking about, the girl was one of the reasons Bobby was here in Seoul in the first place. Taehyun never really asked Bobby how he made such a huge decision to change countries because of a girl he has never met. Even if he asked, he doubts he would understand Bobby’s reasoning. He and his cousin were two very different people.

“I am surprised Hanbin approved of his sister dating you, of all people,” Taehyun couldn’t help himself. Bobby’s expression changed at the comment, the crease disappearing from his eyes. “He doesn’t know,” Taehyun exclaimed out loud, credulous when he realized what the change in Bobby’s expression meant. Bobby opened his mouth to say something but closed again, Taehyun guffawed mercilessly at his cousin’s plight, almost choking on his food.

“I don’t know what you find so funny,” Bobby said finally as Taehyun’s laughter died down.

“Can I be there when you tell Hanbin you’re dating his little sister, please?” Taehyun wiped the laughter-tears from his eyes, unable to pretend to be sympathetic of his cousin’s plight.

“You’re a horrible person,” Bobby frowned at him. “Please go and throw up all the food I have made for you.”

“I love you too,” Taehyun replied with a cheeky grin as he stuffed the food in his mouth, his appetite returning.

“Do you think he will kill me?” Bobby quietly asked after a while, evidently worried.

“Oh, most definitely,” Taehyun never had the habit of mincing his words for the sake of other people’s sensitivities.

Bobby let out a heavy sigh at that, and Taehyun felt the stirrings of compassion tugging at his insides.

“I am quite positive though after he beats the crap out of you, he would give you both his blessings.”

“You think so?” Bobby looked so hopeful Taehyun wanted to reach out his hands and pinch his cheeks.

“Depending on your girlfriend. Hayi, was it?”

“Wow! I cannot believe you remember her name,” it was Bobby’s turn to switch on the sarcasm.

“Like I won’t remember when you mention her name every day,” Taehyun replied and started mimicking Bobby’s voice “Listen to Hayi’s voice? Isn’t it heavenly?” “Hayi’s big eyes are so cute” “Hayi is so cute when she is awkward” “Hayi this, Hayi that.”

“I never said those things,” Bobby retorted, Taehyun could detect a hint of a blush forming on his cousin’s cheeks, which was definitely a new thing for Bobby. His dear cousin must be completely smitten with this girl.

“Is she even legal?” Taehyun asked without giving heed to Bobby’s ardent denials.

“Yes!” Bobby looked offended.

“Okay, okay,” Taehyun raised his hands in surrender. “I hope to meet her soon,” he acquiesced, effectively managing to mollify his cousin.

Taehyun went back to his room to resume his studies, but somehow, the dinner-talk with Bobby made him needy of Mino, as if he needed to remind himself that he is in his own wonderful relationship. He picked up his book from the desk and sat on the bed next to Mino’s sleeping form. Mino snuggled against his leg, Taehyun made himself believe Mino needed him too even in an unconscious state and sniggered at his own foolishness. He took Mino’s fingers in his and smiled as Mino’s fingers naturally curled against the spaces between his own fingers. He resumed his reading, never letting go of the warm hands even though it made turning the pages of his book really difficult.

*****

 

Taehyun woke up at the sound of his alarm clock. He looked to his right side, out of habit, to see if Mino is there. The space next to him was empty. He swallowed the stirring of disappointment and switched off his alarm clock. No matter how many weeks Mino hadn’t been sleeping in the apartment, Taehyun could not stop himself from looking for Mino every morning, and he thought today was one of those days.

He was wrong. Loud footsteps approached his open door and there stood Mino with his smile brighter than ever. Taehyun belatedly remembered that Mino had come to the apartment the previous day. “You’re awake! I heard your alarm go off,” Mino smiled, wishing him a good morning while approaching the bed. He crawled on the bed towards Taehyun’s seated figure and gave him the usual morning kiss that the boy missed more than anything.

Taehyun smiled, wide awake now. “Good morning,” he hid his morning breath with the back of his hand, suddenly self-conscious. It had been a while.

“Damn, I slept for like sixteen hours!” Mino chuckled to himself as he left the bed again. “I made breakfast, go wash up and eat before you go.”

Taehyun also got out of the bed “I won’t have time. I need to review,” he mumbled before disappearing into the bathroom.

He changed his clothes in a hurry while trying to read at the same time, his eyes glancing at the clock every once in a while. Finally done changing, he sat down and pored over his books again, realizing he had about an hour to review his books before he had to leave. Mino came into the room then, a bowl in his hand. He rested his at Taehyun’s desk and lifted a spoonful of some sort of stew near Taehyun’s mouth.

Taehyun tore his eyes away from his books to look at Mino who gestured “Eat.” He opened his mouth without a word and allowed himself to be fed while he continued to read.

“Is he eating?” Bobby called from the door.

“Yeah,” Mino announced.

“I usually just give him a protein bar and a juice box on days he has exams. It’s good he allowed you to feed him though. He does not like to be spoon-fed,” Bobby chuckled.

“I am right here guys,” Taehyun complained at how they were talking about him as if he is not in the room.

“Just read,” Mino shushed him and made him swallow another spoonful.

*****

 

“So what are we going to do now?”

Mino spoke as they sat on the couch in the living room. Taehyun was lying sideways, resting his head on the arm of the couch with his feet on Mino’s lap. He had finally given his last paper for the semester and found Mino seated on the couch waiting for him, he had immediately taken the place next to him and reclined to his second favourite position. Their winter holidays have officially started, and time was on their hands.

“Don’t you have anything planned with the guys?” Taehyun asked. He was sure the gang would be celebrating their few weeks of freedom the only way they knew how: party.

“Seungyoon and Jinwoo still have a paper to give. Zico mentioned hitting the clubs, but I would rather celebrate with you today,” Mino spoke matter-of-factly.

“Where’s Bobby?”

“Out. He said he probably won’t be coming back tonight. Something about de-stressing himself from your presence,” Mino laughed.

“So what do you wanna do? I have never celebrated this moment before,” Taehyun confessed.

“I can think of a few things,” Mino’s voice went an octave lower.

“Like what?” Taehyun pretended not to understand.

“I am not going to say it out loud. You have to want it too,” Mino huffed. “What do you think I wanna do?”

Taehyun hid his smile behind his hand and brought his knee up, the flat of his foot directly above Mino’s crotch. “Hmmm… I don’t know. Wanna go ice-skating?” His foot started making soft circles against Mino’s crotch without moving from his place.

Mino bit his lower lip and suppressed a groan. He turned towards the amused boy and decided to play along. “That’s definitely an option but that’s not what I’m thinking of right now.”

Taehyun pressed his feet harder until he can feel his boyfriend’s member and started rubbing up and down, his toes digging into the muscle every now and then. “Oh shucks. Then, are you thinking about going on a romantic dinner date?” he enquired, head cocked to the side seemingly in deep thought. He can hear a hitched breath coming from Mino’s throat and the beginning of an forming under the pad of his feet.

“Do you want me to take you out on a romantic dinner date?”

“If that’s not what you were thinking of, no,” Taehyun smirked. He never cared much about those things. He preferred staying in bed and getting ed till he can’t think, or quiet visits to museums and art galleries in silent companionship and contemplation.

Mino grabbed hold of his naughty leg then, making him stop whatever he was doing to Mino’s growing excited member. “Get over here,” his voice came out like a grunt as he pulled at Taehyun’s leg, a dirty grunt filled with promise and Taehyun did not need more prodding. He quickly shuffled to raise himself and seated himself on Mino’s lap, facing the older with his knees on either side of him. “ing tease,” Mino accused when their faces are inches away from each other.

“You love it.”

Mino his hip upward making Taehyun squeal, he started rubbing himself against his . “I want you, right here.”

“On this couch?” Taehyun asked, his cheek pressed against Mino’s, his hands on Mino’s shoulders to steady himself.

“I’ve fantasized about it,” Mino whispered, stilling his movements. Whenever the three of us sit here, I think about it. I wanna do dirty dirty things to you so that whenever you sit on this couch with anyone else you will remember it and blush.”

Taehyun was impossibly at the thought. Mino’s words gave him a lot of sensual images in his head.

“Well… since Bobby is not here,” he bit his lower lip and his gaze turned coy. Mino understood the implication and his face showed it.

“Do you have any fantasies that I can fulfill for you too?”

Taehyun blushed a deep shade of pink as he remembered all the sensual images he had involving Mino. He shook his head sideways but his face betrayed him.

“Liar,” Mino growled and started rubbing himself against the cleft of Taehyun’s again, more aggressive than before. Taehyun found himself getting excited against Mino’s stomach. “I will leave you high and dry if you don’t tell me your dirtiest fantasies right now,” Mino warned.

Taehyun couldn’t bear the thought of that. He hadn’t gotten any for so long. “On the balcony,” he squeaked out, words coming fast.

“What?”

“On the balcony... I want you to take me there, bend me over the railings and…”

Mino’s curse broke him off mid-speech. “Damn!” Mino managed again before crashing their lips against each other, teeth clashing with Mino’s hands tugging his hair, almost hurting him with the sheer intensity of the kiss but he loved it. He pushed further into the mouth, his own hands grasping at Mino’s shirt, crumpling them inside his palms and tugging at them as he gave in to the passion.

*****

 

Taehyun woke up the next morning early as usual. He carefully shifted Mino’s arm away from his stomach, careful not to wake the boy and padded towards the kitchen to get something to drink. The place was a mess. He blushed as he remembered the events of the previous night, how they had gone to the kitchen to replenish their bodies while Mino decided he had a whole new fantasy involving the kitchen, the call made to Bobby after they were both tired out, telling him to spend the night outside if he didn’t want to be traumatised for eternity.

He decided he should start cleaning up, the kitchen was in no state to be used for dining, but he didn’t know where to start and continued staring at the place blankly until Mino came and woke him up from his silent reverie with a back hug and a kiss on his cheek.

“Why didn’t you wake me up when… DAMN! Did we do that last night?”

Taehyun turned to face Mino who literally made his ears ring cursing right next to his face. Before he could shout at him for being insensitive he was enveloped in an even tighter hug from the front, letting the words die in his throat as his mouth was claimed in a feverish kiss. Mino laughed out loud as they broke the kiss and looked around the room again, amusement written all over his face as he kept mumbling under his breath.

“We’re cleaning up, right now,” Taehyun ordered with his hands on his waist.

Mino whined at that. “But babe, breakfast.”

“Can you even work up an appetite with this mess?”

“I need to get back my strength from last night.”

“And I am sore all over but do you see me complaining?”

Realisation dawned on Mino’s face at Taehyun’s words. He hastily pulled out a chair with a cushion for Taehyunand made him sit. “Don’t worry, you rest. I will take care of everything,” he decided.          

Taehyun laughed and got up from his seat. “I will do the dishes, you do the rest. Deal? Also, I hope you haven’t forgotten, we need to pick up Donghyun from the airport.”

“Of course I haven’t. 5 p.m. right?”

“Yep.”

*****

 

They hired a cab to take them to the airport at Incheon and waited for Donghyun there. Donghyun was finally coming back for good and Mino could see the excitement on Taehyun’s face as they waited for news of his arrival. The two brothers have not seen each other for a year and Mino thought that was pretty harsh.

“… and I would go and complain to my grandmother like ‘he’s copying whatever I wear, I don’t wanna wear the same clothes as him’ coz he would literally be dressed in the exact same colours and I found that so embarrassing…” Taehyun was recounting their childhood as he laughed and Mino found that the cutest thing in the world.

Finally, the gates opened and the passengers started coming out. Mino recognisedDonghyun as soon as he saw him. He expected the boys to hug when they saw each other but Mino was amused to see them exchange a firm handshake with Taehyun trying to make himself appear bigger.

“And Donghyun, this is Mino,” Taehyun introduced him finally after his boyfriend fussed about Donghyun making sure he didn’t forget anything important.

“Oh, okay,” Donghyun smiled in his direction. A hand flew to the back of Donghyun’s head making the boy grunt in pain and there was Taehyun saying “Where are your manners. You should bow and say ‘Nice to meet you’.” Donghyun sheepishly rubbed the back of his head where his older brother hit him but quickly bowed to a full 90 degree and re-introduced himself, with Taehyun looking on like a proud father.

“Nice to meet you too, Donghyun. I heard so much about you,” Mino smiled and clapped the back of the boy’s back in a friendly manner. He took the luggage from the boy’s hand and led the way outside while the two brothers followed close behind.

Donghyun and Taehyun took the backseat while Mino opted for the front, allowing the two brothers to catch up. Mino couldn’t help but think that Taehyun acted like a friendly dad to his brother, asking him all sorts of questions about school, telling him about the plans he and his mom had picked out for the boy. Mino did not miss the clenching of Taehyun’s jaw when Donghyun briefly mentioned how he missed the country.

“The worst is the language barrier…” Donghyun sighed.

“I told you to study English, you didn’t listen to me,” Taehyun scolded.

“I know but… “ Donghyun whined and Mino could see from the rear-view mirror the soft exasperated smile adorning Taehyun’s face.

They reached the apartment and were greeted by a beaming mother and grandmother. Donghyun seemed even more awkward around their mother, but Mino knew the only reason was that he was sent away at a very young age and hardly spent time at home.

“Why don’t you boys wash up and come to the kitchen, dinner is ready,” Mrs. Nam announced as her sons were already on their way to their rooms.“You will be staying for dinner right, Mino?” she asked Mino who was standing next to him.

“He’ll be spending the night,” Taehyun called out from down the corridor. Mino did not fail to notice the slight purse of lips on the mom’s face as well as the look she gave to the grandmother, however, the two women did not say anything and moved towards the kitchen to set the table with Mino helping them, cracking jokes to make them both laugh.

Taehyun and Donghyun joined them at the table and they sat down to eat, with Donghyun quickly stuffing his mouth as he was famished from the journey. Another thwack sound came from the seat opposite Mino and he saw Taehyun hitting Donghyun at the back. “Hey, say thank you for the food before you start eating.”

Mino laughed in his hand as Donghyun quickly bowed to say “Thank you for the food,” before he started eating again.

“Seriously, did you lose all your manners in Singapore?” Taehyun mumbled under his breath as the ladies giggled with the grandma asking Taehyun to cut some slack to the kid.

After dinner, Mino offered to clean up while the family takes a chance to catch up with Donghyun. Taehyun joined him instead of his familly, helping with the wiping while Mino washed the dishes.

“You didn’t tell them I was spending the night here?” Mino whispered as he handed a plate to Taehyun.

“No, I guess I forgot. Does it matter?”Taehyun answered, nonchalant.

“Yes, it matters,” Mino felt terribly embarrassed. “You’re supposed to announce these things beforehand and ask for permission or something.”

“I don’t get it. Mom already knows about us, even grandma, so how is you staying over a big deal? I stayed over at your place too.”

“I know but I informed my parents beforehand, you didn’t. I thought you were going to.”

“Is something wrong? You were already acting like you’re best friends with my mom I thought things are comfortable,” Taehyun asked, suddenly looking worried.

Mino quickly shook his head No. “Nothing’s wrong. I thought it should be basic courtesy to inform if you’re having a guest over, that’s all.”

“Yeah… my bad. With all that’s been going on, it completely slipped my mind. But I am sure my family doesn’t mind. They already adore you, even grandma, based on our dinner conversation,” Taehyun assured Mino. “She laughed more with you than any of us.” Mino hoped Taehyun was right, that he was just imagining the look the two ladies gave each other when they found out Mino was spending the night.

When they were finished they joined the others in the living room while grandma prepared some ginger tea which was perfect for the cold December night. They sat in front of the fireplace while Donghyun recounted his boarding school stories.

“And what are your plans for this winter holidays? Will you be staying at home?” Grandma asked Taehyun with hope in her eyes. She was talking about how nice it was to have the family under one roof again.

“Ah, sorry grandma, I can’t. We have club activities I can’t miss. We are putting on a show in the college theatre on Christmas eve with the Drama society so I will have to stay in Seoul. You guys should come watch,” Taehyun invited them and started talking about the play the two clubs had partnered for. Taehyun’s Fine Arts Society was supposed to supply the clothes, background and other necessities for Mino’s Drama society and practice was supposed to start as soon as everyone finished their exams. “I was thinking I will take Donghyun with me to Seoul tomorrow, show him around campus and stuff, then he can come back with Bobby the next day.”

“Ah, I can’t wait to meet Bobby hyung, he promised to…” Donghyun piped up but Taehyun cut him off.

“He will not be taking you to his performances there, that’s for sure.”

Donghyun whined and looked at his grandma for help, but grandma was onTaehyun’s side. “Listen to your brother.”

“Bobby said he will take you to the studios though, you can meet really cool musicians there,” Taehyun promised which mollified the younger brother.

The night was getting long and Grandma started yawning. “Taehyun-ah, why don’t you help Mino get settled in the guest room,” Mrs. Nam asked as she got up. “Donghyun must be tired too, I guess we should turn in.”

Mino followed Taehyun where the guest room was, down the corridor opposite to Taehyun’s room. It was a large room, barely furnished except for two single beds and a dressing table with mirror. Taehyun got the bedsheets and pillowcases out of the cupboard in one wall and they worked to set the bed. “Wanna come sleep in my room instead,” Taehyun suggested even though they got the bed ready. “I don’t know if the heating in this room is good or not.”

“No way,” Mino quickly declined and grabbed the blankets from Taehyun’s hands. His quick movements caused them both to fall on the bed, with Taehyun on top of him giggling.

“You’re acting really funny today,” Taehyun remarked, not getting off of Mino. “Like a proper gentleman?” he teased, using the thick blanket between their bodies to prop himself up.

“Haven’t I always been a gentleman?” Mino raised his eyebrows.

“Well… last night comes to mind and…”

“Shhh… I wouldn’t want your family to know the things I do to their precious son,” Mino wouldn’t let him continue and the look on his face must have been funny to Taehyun because the boy started laughing with his whole body, rolling off him onto the bed by his side.

“Damn!” Taehyun stopped laughing and looked at Mino. “I love you so ing much,” he said with feeling out of nowhere, meeting Mino in the eyes. Mino threw the blanket away and pressed closer to Taehyun, lifting a hand to remove the hair that has fallen on the boy’s face and tucked them behind his ear. He pressed his face closer till his lips touched Taehyun’s. He pushed deeper and flicked his tongue out and the tip traces along Taehyun’s teeth. He proceeded to on the supple flesh of Taehyun’s bottom lip in languid motions, while Taehyun does the same with his upper lip, pressing their bodies closer.

Mino couldn’t tell how long they laid like that, slowly eating each other out holding each other in their arms. There was no hurry and no intention of moving forward, simply cuddling with basking in each other’s presence. After some time, the sound of footsteps alerted them of other people’s presence in the house. They unhurriedly removed their faces from each other and simply laid there, facing each other with soft smiles on their lips. “I love you,” Mino mouthed the words without a sound, he can see a reflection of his own smiling face in Taehyun’s eyes that lit up with contentment. The footsteps did not come into the room, and neither of them made a move to change their positions. Taehyun’s eyes slowly slid close but he opened them again. It was evident that he was sleepy.

“You should sleep,” Mino prodded, extending his arm to rub against Taehyun’s arm.

“I should,” Taehyun mumbled, but he made no move to get up from the bed.

“Come on,” Mino decided, pushing himself up and pulled Taehyun up by the arms. “Help me make a good impression on your mom and grandma,” he required and Taehyun finally got out of the bed and proceeded to walk out of the room. Mino walked him out and they stood at the door of the guest room. “Goodnight,” he said and placed a kiss on Taehyun’s forehead.

“If you need anything, I’m right there,” Taehyun said pointing to his room across the corridor.

“I know,” Mino smiled.

“Well, okay, goodnight then.” Taehyun finally said with a soft sigh and left the room. Mino closed the door and pressed his back against it, almost sinking down to the ground. He laughed inwardly at how difficult it wasfor them to say goodnight even though they are just separated by mere metres.He hated the exam season even more for keeping them apart for too damn long.

*****

 

It was still dark outside when Mino was awoken by his full bladder. He went to look for the bathroom with half-closed eyes down the corridor. When he neared the bathroom he heard some voices in the living room and wondered what the family was doing up in the middle of the night. He didn’t see the wall clock pointing 6:14 in the morning. Then he heard the sound of his name mentioned by Mrs. Nam so he shifted closer to see who were talking.

“… you’re still so young.” Mino heard Taehyun’s mom saying.

“I love him, mother.” There came the sound of Taehyun’s voice and Mino couldn’t help but smile at the words, even in his half asleep state.

“I know you do, and I am sure he will understand if you tell him. I can’t see you throwing away your future like this and your dad…”

“What does father have to do with any of this? He has not been a part of our lives since…”

Mino did not want to listen anymore and he moved away to get to the bathroom. He didn’t mean to eavesdrop on the conversation, but curiosity got the better of him and he was angry at himself for listening to a private conversation between mother and son. ‘At least I stopped,’ he thought to himself trying to lessen the guilt, but something about the conversation gave him an uncomfortable feeling at the pit of his stomach.

 

*****

I would sleep with the thought of you.

with the silhouette

of a single memory, with the scent

left hours after you've touched

me.

I would lose myself in the folds

of your dress, the fabric of the shirt you wore when you

fell asleep leaned against

my shoulder. Paint me

in the soft focus fof your

tenderness, pull me from

myself.

-Tyler Knott Gregson

 

A/N: What can I say except I am sorry. I am so nervous posting again after such a long hiatus. This took me six years, lmao. It's embarrassing to even think about it. Idk who I am saying sorry to exactly, because I know the original readers are no longer here.

But to the ones that are still here, please remember that you loved this fic not because of good writing but because of nostalgia. lol I have finally finished it! I will be updating every week, because I still need to edit the chapters, the most boring part of writing. I don't have betas anymore because everyone I know have abandoned this angsty ship. Everybody here . I cry when I read your comments.