I am the Master of my Fate

Say, do you wanna sail on the Namsong river?

Minho was sitting at his usual place in the classroom, the top-most corner on the right, the furthest seat from the board. He had his earphones plugged in, though no music came from the speakers. He wanted to appear pre-occupied so his friends would leave him alone for a few minutes before class starts. Sometimes he's too popular for his own good, he smirked at the thought. The only problem was that he's still not noticed by the one person he wanted to attract. So here he was, concentrating his attention to the entrance of the classroom, secretly glancing towards it every now and then so that he won't miss the moment, even though he knew the sound of the bell ringing would announce that moment for him. Still, he didn't want to be too sure because the moment could be gone in an instant.

The bell rang and jolted him as if he was caught doing something wrong. His eyes went straight to the door, anticipating, but a frown formed on his mouth when he saw his professor walking in. But in an instant, his face lit up again seeing messy brown hair just behind the professor and he breathed a sigh of relief. On other days, the subject of his admiration always entered the room just before the professor. Mino's eyes followed the brown wavy-haired boy's movements with his eyes until he settled in his usual seat which was on the left side, front-most corner closest to the entrance. Mino waited for this moment every time they had this class. He liked to watch the way the boy walked. He couldn't do it outside as he didn't want to appear so obvious. So he had to settle for those few seconds he's walking to his seat.

His seat was perfect for him as it allowed him to stare without being noticed. One time, he sat behind him. That did not work out because he could only study the back of the boy's head and the smell of him was too intoxicating. Another time, he tried sitting in the same row as him.  That did not work out either as he had to strain his neck to look and he was forever afraid of being caught staring. He finally found this seat, after trying out several others, and he never changed again. He would even go early to class just to ensure his spot.

As usual, Mino could not concentrate on the lecture. His eyes ran along the middle-parted hair of his crush (Yes, it was a crush. He had accepted it a long time ago and he is not ashamed to admit it). He continued running his gaze, to the tuft of hair tucked behind his left ear, the silver stud earring on his earlobe, the jawline that could cut glass, his adorable lips and pink tongue that darted out every now and then. He seemed bored to Mino, the way he was tapping on the desk with his pen, the silver chain around his wrist jingling along with the hand movements. Mino couldn't hear the sound from his seat, and perhaps it was not loud enough to disturb the professor either because he was not told off. However, Mino felt he could hear everything, even from the other side of the room. Everything the boy did affect him. Then he noticed the boy taking out a sketchpad and a pencil. He couldn't see what he was drawing, he had been very curious to know since the first day, whether he was doing a caricature or just plain doodling, whether it was fashion-related or some post-modern stuff, whether he was good at sketching or not. Mino would probably give his left arm to have a peek at that sketchpad.

He himself liked to doodle. He'd draw stupid cartoons and make up mini-stories which made his friends laugh. He would love to sketch the perfection present at the front of the classroom, but he was afraid he won't do him justice. For the time being, he preferred to just commit his face to memory and practice his sketching on his friends.

 

It seemed class got over with the sudden buzzing of activity around him. He noticed the boy getting up too, stuffing his books inside his backpack. He was always the first to leave like he always had somewhere better he needed to be. Mino wondered what he did when he's not in the classroom, but he could not give himself the pleasure of finding out less he'd look like a stalker. Taehyun (yes, that's the perfection's name) had already slung his backpack on his shoulders when the professor called for the class to quiet down.

"Your project that is due next month, I have decided, will be a partnered project to ensure you all turn it in. You can choose your partners, and I expect a good presentation on it too okay," and with that, he left the class.

Before he could watch Taehyun's departure from the class he was distracted by someone calling his name from the front of the classroom.  "Mino, wanna partner up for this?" Zico asked all smiles.

"Wait!! I already decided on partnering with Mino. You ask someone else," Kyung said from the seat in front of him.

"No, Mino's mine. You lazy bums just partner with each other," Minzy called out from the other side of the room.

"No, no, no. Mino honey, you're with me alright? Snacks will be on me if you are," Krystal said trying to cover Minzy's mouth.

*****

Nam Taehyun's ears perked up at the sound of the argument over who will get to partner with Mino. Yes, he's heard of the name, everybody seemed to know Mino around campus, but he had no idea what he looked like. He was curious to know who was it that everybody seemed to like so much, so he turned his head to see where the students' attention was focussed to and he was mildly surprised. The Mino everyone was talking to at the same time turned out to be a tanned boy dressed in a black hoodie, a white snapback on his head with a bandana underneath and hanging at the sides of his face, and, he was looking directly at him, their eyes meeting. He quickly turned away, not wanting to be caught looking interested. He quickly went out the door hoping the class would be odd-membered so he won't have to choose a partner. He just wanted to be left alone, at least for this year.

*****

At that same time, Mino's heart was beating as if it was trying to escape from his chest. Taehyun looked at him! He noticed him! Their eyes met! He locked eyes with his Taehyun and he did not know how to deal with it. He cursed that today was the day he decided to dress down. He had been careful of his fashion choices ever since he noticed Taehyun, who always looked perfect. Even though they might never get to know each other or even meet, he still wanted to look good, just in case. His wardrobe mostly consisted of oversized hoodies and baggy jeans. He never cared about how he looked as long as his clothes were clean, but that was before this flawless being with an even more flawless style invaded his heart and mind. Calming himself from the mental spazzing, he turned his attention to his friends.

"Guys, can you all chill. The project's not due till next month. we all got plenty of time", he announced. "Also, I'd like you all to submit a ten-page essay about why I am awesome and why you would like to partner with me and I'll consider," he joked.

There were a series of expletives thrown at him but without malice as they moved on to their next class. A class without Taehyun in it. Mino felt no urge to hurry. The rest of the day his mind kept going back to that moment, the moment he met eyes with Taehyun, over and over again.

*****

 

In a secluded area full of bamboo trees and fallen dead leaves, Nam Taehyun sat with his back facing the world. He had an hour break until his next class starts, and he decided it was the perfect time to get his nicotine fix. Pulling out a packet of Marlboro reds, he lit one up and took a deep puff. Resting his back on a pair of bamboo stalks he thought about how much he hated this college, the same feelings he harboured ever since he came here. This was his usual routine. He was not even supposed to smoke on campus, some new-age rules and . Everything fun was banned now, he mused. He wasn't even supposed to be here, if not for some stupid mistakes he'd be living it up in another place with people of his own kind. Now he's stuck in this ty college for the time being with people he can't be bothered to give attention to.

He wondered how his life would be different if things had gone his way. He was not used to not getting what he wanted and he didn't know how to deal with it. He thought about that boy Mino and wondered if he could be as likable as him if he tried. He quickly dismissed the thought. He could have people falling left and right for him if he wanted, he told himself. He lighted another one up, pulling short puffs lazily now. He wished time would go by faster so he could be where he wanted to be, in a place where he could unleash his full potential. He put on his headphones then, not wanting to let his mind drift any further and lost himself to the songs of the Arctic Monkeys.

*****

 

The next day Mino went bright and early to class, securing his special seat. When Taehyun walked in with his usual confident strides his heart almost leaped to his throat. The distinct middle-parted hair was no longer there and instead was parted on the left side, giving the boy a masculine look and emphasizing on his perfect jawline. Mino decided he needed to draw him today. He could at least sketch the hair, he thought excitedly. He won't mess up too bad if it's just the hair. He felt he needed to draw it because Taehyun might change again. He wanted to document every change, however slight, and if he could look so different with just a change of hair parting he wondered how he'd look if he changed the colour or cut his hair.

He took out his sketchpad then, carefully assessing every tuft of hair and started sketching. When he finished, the result did not satisfy him at all. It looked incomplete without a face, so he added the ear with the different stud earring that was on display today. He tried to proceed to the jawline but his hands won't move anymore, afraid of not doing the boy justice. He sighed in defeat. The bell rang then, telling him the class had ended. He quickly diverted his gaze towards Taehyun who was gathering his books. Mino mentally willed the boy to look at him again, sending psychic waves his way but the connection seemed to be weak as Taehyun only quickened his movements, exiting the door. Mino felt his heart crying at the loss.

 

"Hey, watcha drawing this time? Can I see?" Sulli's voice broke him away from his short trance. He looked to his desk to see his arm partially covering his sketch. He quickly closed the pad embarrassed.

"It's nothing," he said flustered, quickly gathering his stuff to put inside his bag.

"Aww come on, I bet it's nice. BTW I scanned some of the stuff you drew in our room and uploaded them on my blog. Hope you don't mind, and I credited you of course. There were some nice comments too. You should check it out", she continues, holding her hand out asking for his sketchpad.

"I will, but this....this is personal," he admitted shyly.

"Personal? Woah! When have you ever had secrets from us, babe?" Krystal asked joining the conversation.

"Yo, guys, girls, Jenga tonight in our room okay. You bring the beer," Zico announced to the girls, saving Mino from having to answer Krystal's question.

"Jenga? Of all things? Isn't that a little childish?" Krystal asked forgetting about Mino for a second as they made their way to their next class.

"This is updated Jenga. Got it from my ex-girlfriend's party last month?" Kyung helpfully supplied.

"You mean you stole it," Minzy stated.

"No one's gonna miss one little wooden game," Kyung said defensive.

"Oh, and Seunghoon hyung said he got some stash from his off-campus friend. Our Friday night is ON!" P.O. said excitedly while everyone tried to shush him as they have reached their next classroom.

*****

 

Everyone had gathered in the dorm room shared between Mino, Zico, and Kyung. Since it is a 3 person room they have the biggest space to have friends over and their lazy weekends were usually spent here. In the middle of the room, the Jenga tower stands with a few blocks pulled out. Mino, Zico, P.O., Kyung, Minzy, Sulli, and Krystal surrounded the tower with concentrated looks on their faces. On the couch were Kang Seung Yoon and Jinwoo, better known as "JinYoon" who were declared most famous campus couple the previous year in their university. They, along with Seunghoon who was bowling in the PS3 alone were a year senior to Mino and his friends. Seungyoon was lazily strumming on his guitar while Jinwoo listened adoringly propped up on his elbows with his chin resting on the palm of his hands, swaying from side to side, a joint kept being passed between the three seniors.

Mino took in the scene in front of him and a jealous feeling rose in his gut. If Jinwoo didn't have eyes only for Seungyoon he definitely would have asked him out when he first saw him, he thought. He had the prettiest eyes Mino had ever seen and those eyes only focussed on Seungyoon.

"Mino, it's your turn. Pay attention!" Minzy called out while chugging down a can of beer before flicking it unsuccessfully in the trash can. Mino selected his piece and carefully pushed it out. P.O. snatched the stick to see what's written on it.

"Tell 5 special things about your crush," he read out loud.

"What if I don't have a crush?" Mino stalled.

"Oh, we all know you do honey. C'mon, 'fess up," Krystal snapped.

"We do?" Zico asked stupidly, eyes red from the joint.

"You do?" Mino seconded.

"Of course. It's that guy with the droopy eyebrows, right Minzy?" Krystal continued.

"How did you know?" Mino asked, credulous.

"I never knew that. Did you know Kyung?" P.O. asked.

"You boys are so clueless. How could we not know? Mino dear, no one ever told you that you wear your heart on your sleeve?" Sulli questioned endearingly.

It was true though, Mino thought. His dad had always warned him, telling him the world is not kind to people like him. He tried to teach him to hide his emotions, to appear stronger, to not be easily affected, to be more like his younger sister. But Mino never understood his father's words. As long as he's not hurting anyone he didn't think it necessary to hide how he feels. He believed that people would be better off if they were honest with themselves and their feelings.

"Hey!! Earth to Mino. Are you passing out on us already?" Krystal said snapping her fingers in front of his eyes.

"Oh, sorry, I guess I'm a little fuzzy," Mino said vigorously shaking his head. "Now what was the question?" he asked sheepishly. Sulli handed him the Jenga block.

"Okay, here goes, don't laugh at me alright? One, he usually parts his hair in the middle. The style would look awful on any other person but he makes it look so y. Two, he has the most impeccable taste in clothes, or maybe it's just that he looks good in everything. Three, he's got looks that books take pages to tell, he's got..."

"Hey! Hey! Hey! No quoting songs. Be sincere," Seungyoon interjected. Everyone turned their heads to him as they didn't know he was even paying attention to their little game.

"Yeah, he's right. And you forgot to mention he walks around as if he's above everyone else," Krystal added.

"Hey!" Mino felt scalded at the thought that everyone did not find his Taehyun perfect.

"Yes, he does look like a snobby  prick," Minzy continued.

"HEY!" Mino was at a loss for words.

"Okay fine, a VERY good looking snobby  prick. Okay?" Minzy relented. Mino huffed and crossed his arms on his chest in protest.

"Wait! So all you girls knew about baby Mino's crush and you didn't even tell us?" Seunghoon was curious. He had paused his game to listen to the game.

"C' mon, let's stop talking about me and continue the game huh?" Mino begged.

"No. This is serious stuff. We have to do something about this," Seungyoon joined in, putting away his guitar. He was always ready to help budding lovers since he was so happy with his relationship. Jinwoo moved to hug Seungyoon from behind, wrapping his legs and arms around his boyfriend's torso, resting his chin on his shoulders.

"And how do you propose we do that, Yoonie?" he enquired, eyes only half open from the high.

"Tell us more about this boy. What's his name?" Seungyoon asked Mino but the latter kept his mouth shut.

"We don't even know his name. He keeps to himself. Never even seen him around campus?" Krystal supplied.

"Where does he live?" He's not putting up at the dorms?"

"We don't know" Minzy and Krystal answered.

"What's his major? What classes does he take?"

"We/They don't know!" everyone shouted in exasperation.

"You don't have to yell," Seungyoon pouted and Jinwoo giggled at his boyfriend's cuteness.

"Mino, talk," Zico demanded and everyone focussed their attention on Mino.

 

After a minute of unrelenting silence, Mino gave in. "Fine. His name is Nam Taehyun, we have Integrated Creative Design class together. We don't have any other classes in common, I have never seen him outside of that class, I have never seen him hanging out with anybody either.".

"Okay, at least we got a name. I'll find out what I can from the university registry", Seunghoon offered, being the resident geek and Computer major.

"What? No! I'm not going to investigate him. That sounds so wrong," Mino exclaimed.

"Hey! I've got an idea" Krystal announced. "That project we have due, we can manipulate the situation so that Mino and Taehyun are the only ones without a partner and they'd be forced to work together."

"That could work," everyone seemed to agree but Mino had reservations.

"I don't think I can even open my mouth next to him, let alone partner for a project. No, that is too much at once," he protested.

"Oh come on Mino, don't be such a big baby. You're turning 20 soon, man up", Seunghoon scolded.

"Yes, and don't think for one second that those fairytale or sparks flying when you touch accidentally is going to happen to you like in those Bigbang fanfiction that you read secretly," Minzy added.

"What...How..." Mino was starting to get scared of these girls.

"Yeah, what does that poet say in that famous poem. You make your own fate or something like that," Seungyoon added, scratching his head trying to recall.

"Invictus?" Seunghoon offered.

"I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul," Jinwoo helpfully supplied his boyfriend with the answer.

"Yes, that's the one. Thanks, babe," he said giving Jinwoo a peck on the lips. "You can't just sit there doing nothing, you might regret it someday. There's nothing wrong in trying right? Who knows he could turn out to be a total jerk and stop you from turning into a love-sick fool."

"Or he could be the one you've been looking for your whole life and this project could be the start," Jinwoo offered kindly.

"Be the master of your fate. I like it. Who knew our Seungyoonie hyung could be so deep", P.O. said laughing.

"Yah! I'm the one with the highest IQ here so don't underestimate me alright?" Seungyoon retorted throwing a pillow to P.O and knocking down their Jenga tower in the process, bringing their game to a close.

*****

 

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

 

 

a/n: i am not a writer. I thought I would try this out since there is a lack of namsong fanfiction. It is so difficult waiting everday, refreshing the namsong tag for new fanfiction so this is my lame attempt. Also, I know the poems are not really necessary but since I'm borrowing lines from them for my titles I'd like to give proper credit so... anyways, hope you like this.