you open always petal by petal

Say, do you wanna sail on the Namsong river?

After changing their clothes and warming up with hot cocoa, the snow had stopped falling. Mino decided to take Danah around campus which was the reason she was there in the first place, while Bobby came to pick up Donghyun to take him to his studio.

"Oppa, you're coming?" Danah asked Zico when they were getting ready to go out. Zico was surprised.

"Why does he need to come?" Mino grumbled.

"Hey! Taehyun is coming with us and I will not be a third wheel okay," Danah stood there with her hands on her hips, pouting.

"Fine," Mino sighed and gave a warning glare to Zico, which seemed to say "Don't try to get fresh with my sister."

Zico promptly ignored the glare and allowed himself to be guided by Danah yet again, her hands around his arm. He felt like the luckiest man alive.

.

.

.

When they went back to the dorm, it seemed like all the students who had stayed back during the holidays were there stuffed inside their room. Mino had to navigate through a throng of bodies to find his friends. He finally found P.O. on the couch laughing with a group of people.

"What's going on here?" he asked, getting his attention with difficulty.

"Oh! You guys are back! ! We put a scout out there to let us know if you arrived," P.O. said looking around. Mino simply stared at him, waiting for an explanation. "Aish! We still have to do it," P.O. muttered and stood on top of the couch. "Everyone! The guest of honour has arrived! Where is Song Danah?"

The room became quieter and Danah let out an excited "Over here!" with her hand raised. P.O. beckoned her over to the couch and made her climb the couch too. "Everyone, welcome Song Danah, the visitor to our humble college."

"Welcome Danah!" everyone said, holding out their drinks as if in salute. Danah squealed in delight.

"Omygosh! Is this what college parties are like?"

"Only in our college. So you better make a wise decision and choose ours," P.O. lied through his teeth.

"Guys! Why are you holding a drinking party for an underage girl?" Mino shouted through the noise.

"Booooooooooooo!" everyone grumbled in unison.

"Didn't stop you from giving me drinks," Taehyun was laughing next to him.

"That's different," Mino retorted but couldn't come up with a plausible explanation of how it was different. He saw from the corner of his eye someone handing a beer to Danah and he leaped to knock it away, the drink fizzing out everywhere.

"Dang! Mino, don't be a sourpuss!" Seungyoon chided.

"Oppa, please? Just one? I'll have you know this won't be my first time drinking alcohol," Danah begged.

"What? You promised your first drink would  be with me!" Mino wailed, hurt and accusatory.

"Your first time was not with me either! I know you had your first drink with Seunghoon oppa when you were 16," it was Danah's turn to be accusing. Mino couldn't argue with her. She always seemed to have the upper-hand on him.

"I'm still hurt," Mino grumbled.

"This will be my first time with a beer, okay? And I'll have only one can, I promise," Danah cajoled.

Mino felt a little better at that and asked for a beer for himself. Taehyun went and came back with 3 cans for each of them. They settled themselves on the couch, kicking the previous occupants off it.

"Okay, here goes!" Mino said, turning his head to the side looking at Taehyun and Danah who were seated next to him. They held their beers ceremoniously in front of them with outstretched hands and opened it. Fizz started pouring out from the can, splashing Mino's face wet. "Wha... nooo" Mino sputtered and looked to his side to see Taehyun and Danah sipping calmly from their cans.

"Yuck," Danah made a face, hating the taste of her first ever beer.

"Nam Taehyun!" Mino thundered, “did you shake my beer can?!"

Taehyun quirked an eyebrow up as a reply, a look of complete innocence on his face. Mino tackled him to the couch as a revenge because he knew it was Taehyun, taking down Danah along with his body. His boyfriend and sister laughed while complaining about their drinks spilling everywhere. By the time they got Mino off their bodies, they were all sopping wet.

"You made us waste precious alcohol," Taehyun scolded.

"I don't mind. I didn't know beer tasted so bad. I prefer soju," Danah giggled, looking at her soiled clothes in wonder.

"Who the hell gave you soju? I should wring their neck," Mino growled, his protectiveness trying to pounce out of him.

"I can't wait to tell Dad you wanted to kill him," Danah laughed out loud. Mino was stunned in disbelief. Danah saw the look on her brother's face and explained. "He told me, knowing my nature he knew I wasn't going to wait till I'm of age but he wanted to be the one to teach me how to drink, and he just proceeded to pull out a couple of soju bottles from his bag."

"That does make sense," Mino accepted the explanation. "Well, you're coming of age next year anyway so I guess it's okay," he said and patted her on the back.

.

.

.

Danah woke up the next morning on her brother's bed, feeling quite content. She was glad to finally get to meet her brother's friends, getting to know them a bit. She knew now for sure that her brother had met good people, which was a relief. Even though Mino had been a perfect older brother, even with his overprotective ways, Danah was always the one who looked after him behind the scenes. The first few days Mino attended his college, her brother would call her every day asking her where she had put his favorite T-shirts or advice on how to deal with the new environment. She loved the college too. The buildings were beautiful and the people seemed nice. She wondered what her brother would say if she decided to enroll here after graduation.  

She got up from the bed to see her brother and Taehyun lying on the floor on a spare mattress, with only the top of their heads peeking out. They were under the blankets, but from the lumps, she could tell Taehyun was hugging her brother at the waist, with Mino's hand on top of Taehyun's. She smiled at the sight and took a picture to show her parents, to let them know their son was happy and in safe hands, at least for now.

She went out of the room to see a bunch of bodies lying in the common room, most of them without any mattress or blanket. They were lucky the thermostat was working, she thought and gingerly walked past the bodies to get to the kitchen. She figured she could make coffee for whoever wanted it, maybe do a little bit of cleaning.

She didn't expect the first one to wake up to be Zico. She beamed when she saw him wiping the sleep out of his eyes, his face was haggard. "Wow! You're up early."

"Had to pee," Zico mumbled, then took a look at her and rushed to the bathroom. Danah smiled and looked away. He took quite some time in the bathroom, and when he came back he looked fresher, with a pink tint in his cheeks. Danah found it absolutely endearing.

"Whatchu doing?" Zico asked, not going back to his room.

"Thought I'd make some coffee," Danah said. "But I can't find anything in this mess."

Zico gave a little hum and proceeded to help her search while she cleaned whatever she could. She could tell the guy was avoiding eye contact or coming close to her. Her brother must have really drilled him, Danah mused.

Eventually, everyone was up and those who were not the owners of the room left with groans to return to their respective rooms, leaving Danah with Zico, Mino, and Taehyun.

"So what time is your train?" Mino asked over his cup of coffee. Taehyun was sleepily slung over his shoulder.

"You're leaving today?" Zico asked in her general direction.

"Yeah," Danah answered Zico first. "Three p.m" she then said to her brother.

"Good. At least we can get something to eat before you leave," Mino smiled and proceeded to discuss with Taehyun which would  be the best place to take her for lunch.

"Will you come to see me off too?" Danah asked Zico, who seemed to be thinking hard about something.

"Huh, what?" was the boy's clueless reply.

"See me off at the station?"

"Oh, if you want me to," Zico replied, glancing at Mino who didn't speak a word against it. Danah caught the smile on Zico's lips before it quickly disappeared in the blink of an eye.

They decided on the cafeteria for lunch, wanting Danah to experience the food there before they all went on their way to the train station, reaching just in time. Danah hurriedly scribbled on some receipt she had in her pocket and handed it to Zico secretly while her brother was arguing about some musician with his boyfriend. Danah put a finger to her lips, winking in a conspiratory fashion telling the boy not to open the paper yet and boarded her train.

She waved them goodbye from the window when the train gave a loud whistle, signaling that it was time to move. She watched with delight, under the pretense of waving to her brother, as Zico opened the paper in his hand and the happiest smile adorned his lips. Danah's heart thumped in her chest. She hopes her brother won't mind.

Call me

+82-9-030-6729

You don't have to let my brother know

(-o⌒)

- Danah

.

.

.

GROUP

Krystal: Secret Santa

Seungyoon: What?

Krystal: Let's have a Secret Santa party

Seungyoon: Oh

Jinwoo: I'm in

Mino: But not everyone's here

Sulli: Your point?

Mino: Its less fun?

Krystal: So you'd rather have no party than have a party with less people?

Mino: Well... if you put it that way...

Sulli: Secret Santa is great because we won't have to buy individual gifts for everyone

Zico: I'm in

P.O.: I am so in

Seungyoon: Same

Jinwoo: Me too

Kyung: Not fair! Why didn't you suggest this before we left for the holidays

Mino: If you scroll up I was hesitant on the idea

Sulli: Mino you goody two shoes! Shut up

Sulli: And you could have stayed back a bit like Krystal and Minzy did for me @Kyung why were u in such a hurry to leave campus

Kyung: /Sulking/

Seunghoon: /Sulking/

Krystal: Send your gifts through mail? lol

Seunghoon: Its not the same

Kyung: It it means I will get a gift in return I'm in

Seunghoon: Kyung we were supposed to protest this ><

Kyung: Sorry. Guys, make sure you skype us during ?

Krystal: Of course

Bobby: Am I invited?

Taehyun: Seriously why is Bobby in this group who added him

Mino: /raises hand shyly/

Taehyun: Song Minho you are sitting right next to me you could have just said it out loud

Mino: Didn't you see me raising my hand just now?

Mino: And why r u scolding me here when u can do it without anyone knwoing

Seunghoon: fightfight fight

Kyung: fightfight fight

Zico: fightfight fight

Seunghoon: Yah you can't copypaste that's heights of lazyness @Kyung @Zico

Krystal: Guys we are veering off topic here

(Choiza left the group)

Bobby: Eh why did CHoiza leave?

Zico: Did someone remove him by mistake?

Minzy: You guys are sooooooo out of the loop

Kyung: Did we miss something?

Sulli: We broke up

Krystal: You good for nothing friends. This is the reason we stayed behind for Sulli

Mino: WHAT?! When did this happen?

Kyung: OMG I am so sorry Sulli

Zico: Yeah that Sulli how u doin?

P.O: Sorry we had no idea

Seungyoon: You didn't activate code blue

Mino: Yes. If you had then we would have known.

Seunghoon: WTF did he break up with you? Do we have to go bash his face in?

P.O: Yeah I aint scared of him

P.O: Unless he asked for another rap battle then I'm out

Kyung: This is not the time to joke Sulli might be hurt here

P.O: Sorry

P.O: Good riddance tho I didn't like the guy

P.O: Unless you're planning on getting back with him then /thumbs up/

Sulli: Oh no. No way. I broke up with him

P.O: ah good /whew/

Seungyoon: But why tho did he do something bad did he cheat we can still go and intimidate him for you

Jinwoo: Yoonie your skinny won't intimidate anyone

Seungyoon: My skinny can flip you over with one hand don't underestimate me

Jinwoo: oooh will you come and flip me over right now /wink/

Krystal: you guys have the attention span of ing five year olds FOCUS

Jinwoo: uh sorry Sulli got carried away there

Seungyoon: So you're okay? @Sulli

Kyung: tell u s if we can help with anything

Sulli: I'm fine guys thanks I already have mmy sights set on another guy /wink/

Krystal: Not that topic you raging idiots the SECRET SANTA!

Seungyoon: Oh right

Seungyoon: Aren't we all in though?

Krystal: We have to set a date

Krystal: Bobby can come if he wants

Krystal: Ideas? When are you guys free, and we have to set limits on price

Kyung: 25 bucks coz that's all i have to my name right now

Zico: Call

Krystal: Okat

Krystal: And ya'll need to use the same wrapping paper. we'll make it green

Krystal: How many of you can come to room 104* right now?

Mino: Can't. we are on a date

Zico: Why are you on the phone when you're on a date?

Taehyun: Not technically a date we are taking Donghyun out

Seunghoon: Can't. I'm in Busan

Krystal: /rolls eyes/

Sulli: I can come

Minzy: Me too

Zico: I'm already here

Krystal: Okay here's what we'll do. We'll put the names in a bowl and pick for whom we have to buy the gifts. Everyone else, you can video call  and we'll show you the names without us seeing it through the camera. Deal?

Kyung: Kay

 

.

.

.

"Delivery from Park Kyung to Zico?" the mailman said as Zico opened the door.

"Oh shoot!" Zico closes his eyes with his hands. "I can't look at the box, sir, its for secret Santa. Can you please open it and put it there in that room? I am so sorry."

The mailman looked confused but did as he was told. He entered the room Zico was pointing at. "I have to open it?" he called from inside.

Zico opened his eyes and sighed in relief because he can't see the package anymore. "Can you please place it among the other gifts with the green packaging? And put it in the middle so I can't tell the new one from the others?"

"This isn't exactly my job description but okay," the mailman murmured and came out after complying with Zico's wishes.

"Hey, I came with my gift," Minzy barged in the room swinging a shopping bag.

"Argh! Another one. Go put it in Kyung's room along with the others!" Zico said and covered his eyes again, apologising to the mailman as he explained that the gifts are for their Secret Santa party tonight with his hand over his eyes.

"You'll need to sign for it," the mailman held out his clipboard.

"Ah right." Zico uncovered his eyes and signed. This had to be the last of it, he thought. Seunghoon's gift had already arrived and Minzy was the last to bring her gift. The only thing left to do now was to prepare the place. Mino was of no help spending all his free time in Incheon he figured he will have to do the whole thing himself, however, Minzy didn't leave after depositing her gift.

"I thought Krystal would be here already," she said making herself comfortable on the couch.

"Was she supposed to come early?"

"We will need to decorate the place you . You think we can have a Christmas party without decorations?"

Zico was relieved. Of course, his friends wouldn't leave him alone to plan the party by himself.

.

.

.

"Okay, everyone gather," Krystal announced when everyone had arrived and were quite sloshed. "The rules of the game."

"Wait, wait," Mino piped up. "We gotta video call the others." He fumbled with his phone trying to call Seunghoon while Zico made a call to Kyung. They both connected about the same time.

Krystal cleared and started talking again. "Okay, so we all have to guess who our Secret Santa is, and if you can't guess whom your gift is from, you'll pay for dinner. Deal?"

"Oh shucks! I am at a disadvantage here," Bobby wailed, being the newest member to the group.

"Serves you right," Taehyun muttered even though he was at a disadvantage too. He didn't think he knew the others well enough to guess based on their gifts, however, this was all in good fun and he didn't mind paying for food.

"Zico, your network I can't hear what Bobby is saying," Kyung complained from the phone. "ing change your network provider already."

"Stop complaining before I cut the call," Zico wagged his finger at his phone. "My ing arms hurt from holding you up already."

"Just set me down on the table then," Kyung shouted back.

"Then you wouldn't be able to see what's going on."

They continued bickering while Seunghoon was having his own eating broadcast on Mino's phone, with Mino commenting how hungry he was every time Seunghoon took a big bite of his food.

"Okay, who wants to open first?" Krystal announced.

"Me," P.O raised his hand and dashed towards the presents, looking for the one with his name on it. He tore open the package revealing a sunglass case.

"Dang," he drawled, hesitating before opening the case. "Is this what I think it is?"

"Just open it," everyone shouted in his direction.

P.O. opened the box to reveal a pair of small round sunglasses. He shouted in joy.

"Yes! I wanted these forever! And I know exactly who got it for me."

"Who?"

"Song Minho you bastard. I can't believe you remembered!"

Mino sat there smiling wide like he got the best present ever, pointing at his friend as he wiggles his fingers. "You know I got you."

"You're not supposed to say the answers yet," Krystal groaned.

"Damn it!" Bobby banged the floor with his fist. "Is everybody going to guess correctly except me?"

"And you know you can go back to the store and change the lenses according to your sight prescription," Mino was explaining to P.O., completely disregarding Krystal.

"Me next," Sulli jumped up from the ground and went to look for her gift. She got red lipstick and guessed correctly that it was from Minzy because they had gone window shopping together. Krystal received a pair of dangling earrings from Bobby who noticed she favored the style. She didn't guess correctly on that one and Bobby whooped in excitement. Taehyun got a red plaid shirt from Zico who also couldn't guess correctly because everyone knew he liked plaid shirts. Kyung received a Blu-ray disc with the newest game in the market and of course, he guessed correctly that it was from Seunghoon while Seunghoon received a set of quirky socks from Taehyun, and Seunghoon guessed correctly because they are the only ones who cared about clothes among the group, disregarding the girls.

Zico opened his gift to find a Hello Kitty boombox. He squealed in delight, a totally manly squeal of course, but he couldn't guess whom the gift is from because everyone knew he collected Hello Kitty stuff. The gift turned out to be from Kyung. Bobby received a huge Pooh plushie the size of his torso and he was overjoyed whoever gifted him knew his love for the fictional character he almost cried. It was from Krystal. Minzy received a Gundam action figure she hadn't owned yet and she guessed correctly that it was from P.O. and Mino received a black leather snapback from Sulli which he couldn't guess whom it was from and complained loudly that it wasn't fair because it was a generic gift even though it was super pretty.

"Hey! I resent that," Sulli piped up. "You mentioned you wanted a cap like this when we went to the amusement park and saw someone wearing it a few weeks ago," she huffed.

Mino realised his mistake and apologised profusely. He had forgotten about the incident and Sulli remembered it. He was touched and went to hug her, thanking her with tears welling in his eyes.

"Okay, so who couldn't tell their Secret Santas?" Krystal re-assumed being the MC of the night. Bobby, Taehyun, Mino and herself raised their arms. They pooled their cash together and ordered food for the night.

.

.

.

After dinner, while everyone was resting to digest their food, Mino pulled Taehyun away from the rest of the group to his room, locking it behind him. Taehyun looked at him curiously.

"I feel like it's been ages since we’ve had some time alone to ourselves," Mino said, resting his hands on Taehyun's hips to pull him in for a kiss, his back against the door. Taehyun gave a little smile before tilting his head and allowed Mino's lips to brush against his own, his arms naturally making their way around his boyfriend's neck. Mino hummed into the kiss, enjoying the closeness and the warmth of Taehyun's body against his.

Taehyun pulled away first. "I'm sorry," he muttered against Mino's cheeks, his breath tickling the older boy.

"Why are you apologising?" Mino asked, his fingers going inside the younger's sweater to trace the soft expanse of skin.

"Well, with Donghyun here I know we haven't..."

Mino didn't allow him to finish his sentence. "Don't... don't apologise for that. I am glad he is back and I am happy you get to spend time with him now, getting to reacquaint yourselves again. I’m happy enough with you inviting me along."

"What did I do to deserve you?" Taehyun mumbled, his lips are next to Mino's ears, sending delicious shivers down his spine.

"You must have saved a country in your previous life," Mino joked, smiling ear to ear. With the weather getting colder, he felt he was getting more sentimental, more emotional. He still could not believe the boy he had a crush on for so many months was here, in his arms.

Taehyun chuckled, arms leaving Mino's neck. "Wanna get comfortable under the blankets?"

Mino's smile grew wider as a reply. "Ah, but before that, I have something to give you," he said and went over to his nightstand, opening the drawer to pick up a gift wrapped in brown paper.

"We said no gifts," Taehyun was narrowing his eyes at him. "I didn't get you anything, this is not fair."

"Well this technically isn't a gift," Mino defended as he made his way back to Taehyun's, holding the little package in his hand. "You said I should submit all my drawings of yourself to you and that's what I'm doing."

Taehyun eyed him curiously, looking like he really didn't believe Mino but accepted the package. "I'm going to give you something in return and you can't say no," he mumbled as he tore open the package, revealing a small rectangular spiral notebook with a lot of pages.

"It's a flipbook," Mino said, biting his lip nervously as he waited for Taehyun's reaction.

"Wow! Cool!" Taehyun smiled and flipped the pages to see the moving pictures.

Mino had taken a lot of time to make this flipbook for Taehyun. It featured the middle parted haired boy in chibi form, building a wall around himself carefully, laying the bricks and stones. Someone comes along, offering her heart to the boy only to be ignored. Another one comes, the same thing happens while the wall around the boy gets taller and higher. A boy comes along, calling out to the boy who was sitting on top of his wall in loneliness, but he couldn't reach him. The wall was too high. Then there comes the Mino chibi, with his snapback and hoodie, calling out to the boy only to get ignored. Mino chibi went away, only to come back with a ladder and rope. He climbed the wall the lonely boy made, and when the ladder no longer reached, his rope helped him, until he could almost touch the boy. The lonely boy held out his hand, helping him the rest of the way and finally, the two meet. The flipbook ended with the two of them hugging.

"Thanks for letting me in.- Song Minho" Taehyun read out loud. Mino had closed his eyes, wondering if it was too much, whether he made a complete fool of himself but when he opened his eyes at the words, he saw that Taehyun was crying, thick drops of tears leaving his eyes to form a river on those beautiful cheeks. Mino was stunned. He hadn't expected that reaction. He closed the distance between them and enveloped his boyfriend in an embrace, not knowing what to say.

"I'm sorry," Taehyun's voice croaked amidst the sobbing. "I'm sorry," he whispered, again and again, and Mino didn't know what to do.

"Sorry for what? I think maybe I am the one who did something wrong?"

"No, no. This is perfect, you're perfect and... I am not. I have been... no, I don't deserve this. I'm sorry Mino, please don't hate me."

"Why would I hate you?" Mino was getting worried. This is completely different from the reaction he was hoping for. He thought maybe Taehyun would laugh at him for being so sappy, or maybe he would be touched and give him an awesome ing up as a thank you but no, this was completely wrong, and he didn't know what caused this reaction in his boyfriend.

"You probably will, and I want to tell you but I can't. Not right now. I have to make things right first. But please know that I love you?" Taehyun broke away from Mino's grasp to look at him with tear filled eyes.

"I know babe, I love you too," Mino said kissing him on the forehead. "Will you please tell me why you're crying?"

"I... I can't. Not right now. I have to go. I have to leave. I have to make things right," Taehyun said, completely disentangling himself from Mino's embrace and wiped his face furiously, sniffing it all inside.

"What? Where are you going? It's almost midnight, Taehyun," Mino tried to hold on to the boy, grasping at his wrist.

"It's okay, I'll be fine. And I am not drunk. I have to go home. I have to see my mom."

Mino wondered if Taehyun had made plans with his mother beforehand, he wouldn't force the boy to stay if that was the case. "How can you tell me you're fine after crying your eyes out, there's something wrong. At least let me come with you."

"No, I have to do this. I will call you as soon as I reach home okay, promise," Taehyun said, holding Mino's face with both palms of his hands.

Mino got lost in the love that emanated from Taehyun's eyes. He had to trust him, he told himself, he had to trust the boy. If nothing else, he could at least trust that this beautiful boy standing in front of him loved him, even if everything else was a lie. He nodded his head. Fresh tears threatened to slip out of those beautiful eyes again, but Taehyun quickly blinked them away and gave a brave smile before giving a chaste kiss on Mino's lips with I love you whispered against his skin, and then he was gone.

 

your slightest look easily will unclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skilfully,mysteriously)her first rose

or if your wish be to close me,i and
my life will shut very beautifully,suddenly,
as when the heart of this flower imagines
the snow carefully everywhere descending

-ee s

 

A/N: I don't know why they keep drinking alcohol in this story... I don't even like alcohol. And I certainly do not condone underage drinking. It is illegal and should not be taken lightly. These characters simply have a mind of their own and I cannot control them.

Also, it is a very big deal for Korean people to come of age and have their first alcoholic drink with a family member or people close to them.