I want to know

Say, do you wanna sail on the Namsong river?

 

The next day, Taehyun found himself waking up with a smile on his face. He replayed last night's event in his head as he yawned. He couldn't wait for the day to start, a certain smiling boy filling his thoughts and wondering what their first adventure--as boyfriends--will take them.
 

Mino was waiting for Taehyun by the classroom door when the younger boy arrived right before the bell rang as usual, and Mino greeted him with the biggest smile.

"Morning."

"Morning." Taehyun greeted back, a little shy as he remembered he had almost invited Mino to come inside his place last night. He didn't even think about it before-hand, but he recalled not wanting the night to end and wanting to hold on to that for a little while longer. But when Mino asked for a goodnight kiss without making a move to get out of the car, he realized, that ending the night on that perfect note was probably the better idea, so he gave his new boyfriend a kiss that he believed would make the older boy dream about him at night.

"You are sitting next to me today," Mino announced as they made their way inside. The professor was already in sight and they had to hurry to their seats.

"I am?" Taehyun asked, making a confused face.

"Don't you dare!" Mino rumbled and took hold of Taehyun's sleeve to lead him to the last row in the corner, to Mino's favorite place. 

"Is this where you drew me? Staring at me from across the room?" Taehyun whispered with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes when the class started. Mino did not reply. "I can see my seat so clearly from over here," Taehyun continued.

"Shut up," Mino whispered back while trying to suppress a grin.

"But isn't it better like this? I'm right next to you, maybe you can draw me now?" Taehyun continued to prod.

"You really want me to draw you?" Mino asked, looking at Taehyun.

"Yes," Taehyun said simply. Mino took out his sketchpad, and then turned his body to face Taehyun sideways with his back against the wall, hiding the page from Taehyun as he drew. 

"What pose should I make? Smile? Aloof? Pout?" Taehyun asked excitedly.

"Anything," Mino said as he put on a concentrated face. Taehyun resorted to just pretending to pay attention to the professor.


 

"Class is almost over, when are you going to finish?" Taehyun asked Mino who was still busy on the sketchpad.

"I'm kinda embarrassed so I'll give it to you after class and you can check it out when I'm not there," Mino smiled and went back to drawing.
 

 

"My sketch," Taehyun demanded as he got up from his seat to leave when the professor left.

"First promise me you'll sit next to me every class," Mino required as he tore out a page from his sketchbook and folded the paper.

"Fine," Taehyun replied and Mino handed him the folded paper.

"Just be prepared to fall head over heels in love with me after seeing this," he said seriously to which Taehyun scoffed.

Taehyun made his way to his place in the bamboo grove excitedly and sat down, carefully unfolding the paper.  "The hell!! you Song Mino!" he cursed out loud as he looked at the page. It wasn't a proper sketch at all but funny caricatures all having two things in common, middle-parted hair and slanted eyebrows. He started laughing after reading the descriptions under the images. Mino had put Taehyun's most recognizable features in everything- from a phone to a pencil, and some of them were downright hilarious to see.
 

"Seen it?" Mino has sent a text message.

"I'm not sitting next to you in class ever again," Taehyun replied.

"That bad? But a promise is a promise," Mino returned with a lot of emoticons.

"Whatever," Taehyun replied with a mad emoticon.

"I was just afraid I would not do your perfect face justice," Mino texted back. Taehyun did not know how to reply at that, it sounded so cliché but he couldn't suppress the butterflies in his stomach at the same time he had to wonder what Mino had done to him.

"So, wanna meet for coffee after class?" Mino messaged again. Taehyun replied in the affirmative.
 

 

Taehyun arrived first and decided to order for Mino while he waited. The counter boy named Baekhyun gave him a huge smile, which he didn't return. He didn't know the guy but he was already acting quite friendly with him, Taehyun didn't trust him. 

"Is this for Mino?" Baekhyun asked as he passed him the cups.

"No," Taehyun lied and Baekhyun lost the smile on his handsome face which the rude boy didn't even notice as he made his way to a seat in the corner. He wished people would stop being all up in his business, just earlier Bobby had quizzed him about his date last night and he had snapped at him too.

"Hey, did you wait long?" Mino asked as he came in after a few minutes.

"Not really," Taehyun smiled, his sour mood quickly drifting away at the sight of his ne boyfriend. Boyfriend, that had a nice ring to it. They did not see a sulky Baekhyun scoffing at the two of them from behind the counter. Mino turned to give the counter boy a wave before he sat down but was greeted by a middle finger from the other boy. Mino looked confused for a split second before he ignored it and gave him a wide grin in return instead.

"Thanks for the coffee," Mino said settling himself in the seat in front of Taehyun.

"It's the least I can do," Taehyun smiled. I just assumed you like this drink, I haven't had the chance to ask."

"I'm not very particular. As long as it's sweet, but I guess you prefer yours black without sugar?"

"Yep."

"Aaah. This is nice. Having a coffee here without books between us," Mino said lifting his arms to stretch.

"Yeah, as long as your friends don't show up," Taehyun murmured under his breath.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"So how was your day?" Mino asked.

"Uneventful," Taehyun replied shortly.

"Are you going to keep answering with one letter words?" Mino enquired with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm sorry. How was your day babe?" Taehyun said with a sickly sweet smile.

"You called me babe?" Mino looked surprised.

"So?" Taehyun didn't find it a big thing. He was used to calling his previous partners with that nickname but it seemed it was a big deal to Mino from his expression. "You don't like it?" he asked worriedly.

"No... no... It’s fine... it's great, especially if I can address you the same way?" Mino smiled.

"Nah, I prefer to be called hunny, bunny, squiggilicious, princess, dearest," Taehyun joked and Mino raised his eyebrows at that but then quickly relaxed when he saw the look on Taehyun's face. 

"Of course my hunny-bunny-squiggilicious-princess-dearest. I would make it a point to never forget," Mino joked back but with a complete straight face.

"Hey, I was just kidding!" Taehyun said suddenly regretting his joke.

"What did you say my hunny-bunny-squiggilicious-princess-dearest? Can I add my own? What about boo-boo? It has a nice ring to it don't it? My hunny-bunny-squiggilicious-princess-dearest...boo-boo?" Mino said lifting a hand to scratch under Taehyun's chin.

"Yah, stop it!" he said swatting Mino's hand away.

"Wait till I introduce you to everyone," Mino said laughing.

"You wouldn't dare," Taehyun was aghast.

"Oh, I would....unless...." Mino stalled.

"Unless what?"

"Unless you come with me to the camping trip with my friends,"

"No," Taehyun rejected strongly.

"That is a very flat rejection, you sure?"

"Yes," he was very sure.

"Suit yourself. I'll introduce you properly to the nearest friend now. Hey, Baekhyun." Mino called out standing up.

"Stop! Sit down!" Taehyun hissed pulling at the sleeves of Mino's jacket.

"You'll come with me or not?" Mino asked still standing, a smile playing around his lips.

" yes, now sit your down," Taehyun ordered and Mino obeyed. "You are incorrigible," Taehyun commented, hiding his face inside his palms.

"Thank you," Mino said grinning like a fool that he was.

"When's the trip? And why is it that I have to go?" Taehyun asked.

"Well, we've been planning this since the semester started and we decided to go before Thanksgiving. Just before the holiday will start. And of course, since you're my boyfriend now you'll HAVE to come with me," Mino stated.

"I don't know," Taehyun really did not like the idea.

"You already said yes," Mino stated again.

"But..." Taehyun said still trying to get out of it.

"Come on, it'll be fun. My friends will get to meet you, and it'll give us a chance to get to know each other better," Mino pressed. They were disturbed again with Mino's friends coming over to say 'Hi'. This time everybody knew Taehyun's name and they greeted him too, prompting him to force a smile at them also. 

"Let's leave," Taehyun suggested when the last person left.

"Okay, but where to?" Mino asked.

"I don't know, anywhere but here," Taehyun said already getting up to leave, prompting Mino to follow suit. The elder boy then turned to wave 'Bye' to his friend at the counter but Baekhyun again gave him the finger.

"I don't know why this guy keeps flipping the bird at me," Mino mumbled to himself and Taehyun tried to suppress a giggle at Mino's confused face. He knew it was probably not a really good idea to be rude to Mino's friends but he couldn't help it when he wanted Mino all to himself for some time, especially since he knew their time together was limited.

"Oh, hey, wanna go someplace with me tomorrow?" Mino asked as they walked, Taehyun leading the way.

"Where?" Taehyun asked.

"Umm, it's an event I go to whenever I can, and my roommates usually got with me but they're busy so..." Mino explained.

"What kind of event?" Taehyun was curious.

"If I tell you I'm afraid you'll say no, so say yes for now and I'll surprise you tomorrow," Mino suggested.

"Is it something that can get me arrested?" Taehyun asked with a sly smile.

"What the... no. I promise. I'm not really that bad of a character," Mino exclaimed, holding his hand on his chest dramatically.

"Says the one who put shaving cream in his sister's shampoo bottle," Taehyun joked.

"That... that was a one-time thing, okay. I only exchange the shampoo and conditioner these days," Mino joked back.

"That's a good boy," Taehyun said patting him on the back as they sat down on the ground in Taehyun's little haven among the bamboo stalks.

 

*****
 

"What the...!" Taehyun exclaimed when they reached the place Mino had invited him to. It turned out, that the event was an underground freestyle rap battle in some dinky basement, which seemed to be fully soundproofed. He should've known it would be something like this when he saw Mino all dressed up with a snapback, oversized baseball jersey with his name on it and hi-top sneakers.

"You hate it?" Mino asked and Taehyun could see the excitement in his eyes.

"Bobby had invited me to these places since forever and I have always declined," Taehyun said truthfully.

"I'm glad I didn't tell you beforehand then," Mino said as they made their way to the middle of the crowd who were busy raising their hands in the air and nodding their heads to the beat of the two MCs battling it out on the stage.

"You tricky bastard. You and Bobby would get along so well," Taehyun said but he still had a smile on his face.

"Maybe I should ask out Bobby for a date instead," Mino joked, looking at Taehyun.

"He's straight, you ," Taehyun scolded hitting Mino lightly on the arm.

"And I'm glad you aren't," Mino grinned. "C' mon, I'll explain this scene to you," Mino said as he proceeded to tell Taehyun the names and previous works of the two MCs on stage. Taehyun was slowly getting into the rhythm, nodding his head slightly but he couldn't help feeling out of place, with his long trenchcoat and Italian leather boots.

"Yo, Mino!" someone called out from behind them. Taehyun recognized the voice. He quickly lowered his head and used Mino's broad shoulders as a shield.

"Nam Taehyun, I see you," the figure said as he approached closer.

"Oh hey Bobby, fancy seeing you here," Mino replied as he greeted the newcomer with the usual handshake.

"Yeah, didn't know you come to places like this. And Nam Taehyun, you sly fox! You rejected my offers, telling me this ain't your thing and now I see you here enjoying it with your new boyfriend? I see how it is," Bobby scolded the shameful boy still staring at the floor, focusing on the shoes of the other attendees.

"I kinda fooled him into it," Mino confessed to Bobby.

"Good going bro, our little prince should experience stuff like this, the nitty-gritty side of life," Bobby joked even though the Korean underground hip-hop scene was nothing like the American one. "You should have at least dressed appropriately though," Bobby said giving Taehyun a once-over.

"I was tricked into this okay," Taehyun retorted, feeling wronged as he finally lifted his head.

"Hey, don't think I didn't see you bobbing your head to the beat," Bobby claimed. "You did good bro, I have always known he'd come to appreciate this kind of stuff. Wait, drinks on me, I'll go get you a couple of beers and I'll leave you two alone in your little date," Bobby said moving away from them.

"I hate you so much," Taehyun hissed.

"You're welcome," Mino grinned, ignoring Taehyun's words.
 

 

Bobby came back a little later with two beer bottles in his hands.

"Someday I'm gonna be up there, and I want you two to cheer for me when that happens," he said gesturing to the stage and left as quickly as he arrived.
 

The better MCs were put at the later part of the show and Taehyun was amazed at their lyrical skills. There were even established musicians coming as guests for the show, who got their big break from places like this. By closing time, Taehyun was flushed pink from the beers and endless shouting towards the stage when an MC delivered a particularly good line. He was smiling and giddy from the adrenaline and the energy of the audience. He figured he was probably screaming his voice hoarse but he didn't care. It seemed to be a good stress reliever and the night turned out to be a lot better than he expected. 
 

*****
 

Taehyun decided to take revenge on Mino by making him do something with him that he figured the older boy wouldn't normally do. He accepted the fact that he liked his little outing with Mino, and if Mino asked him again to accompany him to more hip-hop events he would say yes. He's hoping that Mino would also like the stuff that he likes. 
 

"I'm taking you out today," Taehyun announced after classes on Friday.
"Where?"
"I'll be honest, unlike you, go back to your place and change, we're going to Daerim Contemporary Art Museum. One of my favorite photographers is showcasing his work there and today is the last day," Taehyun explained.
"Whoa, okay, but... um... how should I dress? Come with me and help me pick out what to wear?" Mino asked, looking embarrassed. "I've never been to a museum before, not counting the time I went on a school trip for my history class in middle school."
"No, I'll wait for you at the parking lot, hurry," Taehyun said, not really ready to be formally introduced to Mino's friends.
"Are you wearing that?" Mino asked, glancing at Taehyun. He was wearing a lightweight grey topcoat with smart leather boots. Taehyun nodded in affirmation.
"Okay, it's fine if I just wear something similar right? I mean, is it a formal event or something? What kind of people will be there?" Mino asked, still nervous.
"Just wear something warm, the evenings are getting chilly," Taehyun said, having fun at Mino's little predicament.
"Fine, and don't you dare be embarrassed by me," Mino said wagging a finger at the smiling Taehyun as he rushed towards his dorm building.
 

 

Mino dug through his wardrobe to find something appropriate to wear. He had already changed a few times but could not be satisfied. Finally, he found a thick military green coat lying in the bottom of his closet, still wrapped with plastic from the drycleaners. His sweet sister must have put it in for him; he figured and mentally thanked her as he tried it on. "This better do," he thought and picked up a scarf. He took off his snapback and decided to put on a beret. "We're going to see art so why not," he thought childishly and put on his black-rimmed glasses. He looked okay, he thought as he rushed back to where Taehyun said he'd be waiting for him.
 

 

"Don't you think you're overdoing the artist look a little?" Taehyun laughed when they came face to face, making Mino a little embarrassed. Taehyun mentally scolded himself for his lack of a better word.
"Then why won't you come with me to pick out my clothes?" Mino pouted.
"I was kidding," Taehyun relented. "You look good, really good," he commented and he was not lying. Mino cleaned up really nicely, he noticed. He would be proud to hold hands with this y boy in front of him. He bit his lips at such thoughts; afraid he would say something inappropriate again.
"Are you sure?" Mino asked, still looking a little worried.
"I am sure," Taehyun replied with conviction, which earned him a happy smile from the older boy, and Taehyun chided himself again for making him lose that beautiful smile in the first place. "Hop on," he said as he swung one leg across the body of his bike.
 

*****
 

"Wah, this looks depressing," Mino commented as they moved from painting to painting on the first floor.
"Gives you that haunting feel, doesn't it?" Taehyun agreed as he explained to Mino that these are the artist's earlier works and that he had seen most of them in books but not on a display. Mino listened attentively and Taehyun was thankful for that.
"Taehyun-ah, they are ," Mino whispered worriedly to Taehyun, tugging on the younger boy's coat when they went on to the second floor. The younger boy turned his head to look at Mino who had the most adorable worried look on his face and he couldn't help laughing.
"Babe, this is art, you have to look at the whole picture and not focus on only one thing," Taehyun explained.
"Does contemporary art mean art?" Mino asked with genuine concern.
"Of course not, see here, with this artist, he's trying to express the freedom of youth with these particular pictures. Can't you feel that vibe emanating from these photographs? The openness, the unguarded-ness," Taehyun said as they moved on to picture after picture, trying to make Mino understand what goes on in his head when he looks at the photographs.
"Yes, now that you mentioned it, these are beautiful," Mino said pointing to pictures with sparkles and lights in tunnels. Taehyun felt Mino's grip on his hands becoming tighter.
"Yes, I especially like this one here," Taehyun said pointing to one photograph of a boy bathed in a glow of a million flickering golden lights.
"I want to re-create these pictures with you," Mino said in all seriousness making Taehyun blush a little.
"Are you having dirty thoughts?" Taehyun joked.
"Your fault for bringing me here," Mino kid back but Taehyun did not get the joke and he looked at Mino appalled, a split second thought running through his mind that maybe it was foolish to try and bring Mino into his world. "Babe, you know I was kidding right?" Mino said threading their fingers together and bringing the boy with the droopy eyebrows closer to his body. "I wonder, Taehyun-ah, why you always seem so apprehensive and conventional when your mind is full of these beautifully free and limitless images. I hope you will tell me someday what made you like this. And I hope we can be uninhibited like these photographs too," Mino spoke softly next to his ears. 
Taehyun's tears welled up at that and he tried to force it back, tilting his head upwards. Mino was trying to understand him. Mino wanted to be a part of his world. Mino wanted to give him something that he had been longing for. He couldn't speak for a moment, afraid he would say something snarky again. Mino did not deserve that. He wondered how it was possible that they have been officially a couple for only a week and Mino already seemed to be closer to him than all the other people he had dated in the past.
"Promise me you'll share with me," Mino tugged at his hand as they moved on to another picture. He did not seem to notice Taehyun's reddened eyes as he was avoiding the younger boy's eyes when he spoke, afraid he might seem like he's too emotionally invested.
"Yes," Taehyun managed a whisper, which brought a smile onto Mino's lips.
They walked on through the gallery, pausing for a few moments at each gallery with Mino asking dumb questions and Taehyun explaining to him as best as he could.
"Babe, look, something seems to be happening over there," Mino said to a concentrated Taehyun trying to make him look to the direction where a crowd has gathered.
Taehyun turned to see where Mino's hand was pointing and noticed a tall thin Western man with black sunglasses and a punk leather jacket. His eyes opened wide in recognition but the man was gone in an instant with a few people following him.
"That's the artist," Taehyun whispered urgently, holding onto Mino's arm.
 

"Really!? C'mon, maybe we can get an autograph or something," Mino said excitedly but Taehyun was hesitant. "Oh, don't pause now, do you have anything he can sign?" Mino asked the still shocked boy. Taehyun opened his slingback to take out a small photography book without a word. "Awesome!" Mino exclaimed taking Taehyun's hand in his and dragging him to the place where the artist had made a brief appearance.
 

They soon came to the place where the man was surrounded by a few people in front of what looked like the office of the Museum director. He had just finished signing some autographs and was about to turn around when Mino called out in a loud voice, holding up Taehyun's book in his hands while rushing.
 

"Excuse me, artist sir," he breathlessly said as he neared him but could not continue for his lack of English skills.
 

"Yes," Ryan McGinley smiled back politely.
 

"Sign please," Mino said opening the first page of Taehyun's book on the artist's previous works and the man calmly signed for him.
 

"Your name?" Ryan asked so he could address the signature.
 

"Mino, oh sorry, no. My boyfriend. Taehyun. Very big fan. Over there," Mino said pointing to where Taehyun was waiting, biting his lips in anticipation.
 

"Oh, this is for your boyfriend?" Ryan asked smiling.
 

"Yes, Taehyun. Nam Taehyun... there... he... very big fan," Mino continued with his broken English, pointing again to Taehyun.
 

"Well why don't you call your boyfriend over here so I can give this to him myself," Ryan said and Mino broke out in a huge smile, urgently waving over his boyfriend.
 

"Nam Taehyun?" Ryan asked when Taehyun reached next to them.
 

"Yes, T.A.E.H.Y.U.N," Taehyun said as Ryan scribbled on the book. "Thank you so much sir, I didn't think you'd be here today. It's such an honor and I'm so sorry if we disturbed you," Taehyun babbled nervously.
 

"That's all right, always a pleasure to meet young fans, you seem to have a nice partner here," Ryan said glancing towards the beaming Mino who was taking a picture of the two people's interaction from his phone. "Enjoy the rest of the exhibition," Ryan called out as he entered the office.
 

As soon as the door closed Taehyun jumped onto Mino's body giving him the fiercest hug in the world with his arms around the bigger boy's neck and Mino held onto his waist, afraid the happy boy might hurt himself.
 

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you," Taehyun chanted happily.
 

"Aw, you're the one who kinda forced me to come, you would've met him either way," Mino said with a self-deprecating smile, but his insides were bursting with happiness, both for him and for Taehyun.
 

"No," Taehyun said when he finally disentangled himself from the older boy, "I wouldn't even have the guts to go up to him, especially since it's not an official fan-signing event," Taehyun said happily looking at the artist's signature.
 

"And I also got photographic proof," Mino said holding out his phone.
 

"Ohmyg... you're amazing! I think you're going to my good-luck charm," Taehyun commented as he looked at the phone-screen. "Come, let's finish the exhibition and I'll buy you something from the museum store, as a token of my gratitude," Taehyun said happily pulling at Mino's arm.
 

The rest of the day was spent looking at the pictures, taking personal photographs of them holding the photographs in their hands and book shopping- where Taehyun got Mino a personalized sketchpad and other books.

 

*****

 

It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone and do what needs to be done to feed the children.

It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the centre of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

-Oriah Mountain Dreamer

*****

A/N: So, umm, I told you guys I was stuck, and I told myself I won't write about the museum date coz it already happened, but I couldn't get any better ideas so here it is. Hope it's not too awful and please thank beta "vanhangels" for making the chapter so much better. Gosh, WinnerTV ep.4 was all sorts of amazing!! Thank you all for still reading.