Red String? Part 1

Say, do you wanna sail on the Namsong river?

                                                  

                                                        

 

Mino managed to get the incoherent Taehyun safely inside his room without waking his parents up. He noticed that his mom had kindly, or maybe suggestively, made the pullout bed for one of them to sleep in. Mino did not want to sleep in separate beds, especially after finding out how much he apparently affected Taehyun, so he settled the younger boy onto his own bed.

Taehyun fell heavily onto the bed bringing Mino's whole body on top of him, their faces only inches away from each other. He opened his eyes, smiling seductively and said: "Come here, lover."

He wrapped his arm around Mino's back, pulling him down for a kiss. Mino could sense the putrid smell of alcohol in his breath and tried to resist the kiss, not really wanting to take advantage of the boy in his inebriated state, but he couldn't deny the semi hard-on he's been sporting since the taxi ride.

"Mino, babe, I want you," Taehyun breathed out as he tried to rub their pelvises together, while his hand tried to find where Mino's flannel shirt ended.

"Taehyun-ah, we can't. You're drunk," Mino tried to get up but Taehyun wrapped his arms and legs around his waist. Mino thought his boyfriend was surprisingly strong for a drunk, or was it that Mino didn’t really want him to stop.

Taehyun finally found the hem of Mino's shirt and slid his hand inside, running his hand across the skin on Mino's back, giving the older boy goosebumps. It was getting harder to resist the temptation. Mino, with every ounce of will he had, pushed himself up with both of his arms to get away from Taehyun's roaming hands. 

"No," Taehyun wailed, grabbing hold of Mino's jacket to pull himself up against the older boy. "You don't want me anymore? Am I not tall enough for you?" he asked as he faced his boyfriend.

"It's not that babe. You're drunk. And my parents are sleeping in the next room," Mino tried to reason with him.

"You want that tall boy, don't you? I am not y enough for you," Taehyun said, not hearing a word that came out of Mino's mouth. Mino wondered why he was trying to reason with a drunk.

"Let's just go to sleep?" he suggested as he tried to help Taehyun out of his outer garments but Taehyun thought otherwise as he moved to straddle the seated Mino. "Babe, we can't," Mino tried to protest but Taehyun started rubbing himself against his crotch again.  Taehyun craned his neck upwards, revealing his long y neck and all rationality left Mino at that moment.

He kissed the elegant neck exposed in front of his eyes, his tongue flicking out every now and then to taste the skin, making his boyfriend moan deliciously. Taehyun squirmed against him and he wrapped his arms around the boy to hold him from falling to the ground.

Taehyun fumbled with the waist of his jeans with his uncoordinated hands but it seemed difficult and Mino was not helping.  He was too busy on the graceful neck and running his hand behind his boyfriend's back. His position on Mino's lap did not help either.

Finally, he seemed to have given up and proceeded to hastily remove Mino's jacket instead. Mino helped him out by lifting his hand one at a time and the clothing came off without a hitch. The flannel shirt was next, but it was buttoned up to the neck and Taehyun did not have the patience for that. So he grabbed the hem with both hands and ripped it open, making the buttons fly everywhere but it was still not fully opened. Mino looked at his boyfriend in wonder.

"Off, I want it all off," Taehyun sounded like he was about to cry as he settled his chin on one of Mino's shoulder while his hands moved to the waist of Mino's jeans, trying to undo the belt without looking. Mino tried to assist the fumbling hands. He swatted them away with his own as he tried to free his already hard member from the constraints of his jeans.  It was difficult with Taehyun sitting on him. His belt came undone and so did the button of his jeans, but he couldn't take off his jeans fully in their current position.

"Why don't we lie down?" he suggested as he shifted them to lay Taehyun on the bed. His boyfriend plopped down lifelessly on the bed and Mino realized that the younger boy had fallen asleep on him. Mino let out a guttural groan mingled with frustration and anger. He wanted to shake the sleeping boy awake. 

'Maybe a slap will wake him up in an instant', he thought angrily as throbbed inside his boxers. But rationality took over and he figured it was for the best. However, he realized he had to take care of himself, alone.

He half-heartedly helped Taehyun with his clothes, affectionately placing the blankets on top of him and went to the bathroom to take care of his problem. He came back later to see Taehyun thrashing wildly about in his sleep making strange sounds. Without thinking he moved to lie next to the boy and hugged him to stop his wild thrashing, whispering comforting words to the other's ears, hoping they would pierce into his subconscious. He contemplated in waking the other up, but after a while, the cries died down and the thrashing stopped. 

Taehyun started talking to him then, and Mino heard the younger boy scolding him in his sleep. Mino had to try hard to suppress his laughter.

"I know, I know," he mumbled in reply against Taehyun's ear when the younger boy lifted a hand in the air with his pointy finger raised, mumbling words like "You stupid Mino, domino." Mino lowered his hand with his own and uncurling his boyfriend's hand, intertwining their fingers.

"I know I'm stupid. But you still like me right?" he asked, laughing at the still sleeping boy. 

"You still like me right?" Taehyun replied sarcastically and Mino looked toward his boyfriend, thinking he was awake, but the younger started mumbling unintelligible syllables again. Mino the younger's head lightly, giving the boy butterfly kisses and responding to his sleep-talk.  A moment later he was suddenly pushed off the bed with strong legs and Mino angrily sputtered as he got up, ready to scold his boyfriend. But Taehyun was still not awake. He had taken over the whole bed as he lay on his stomach with his arms and legs wide open, making absolutely no space for the owner.

Mino let out an exasperated sigh and moved towards the pullout bed, glaring daggers at his boyfriend as he settled down with a huff on the bed.
 
 

*****

 

The next morning Mino’s father came barging inside the room, waking them up at the break of dawn. "Rise and shine boys!" he exclaimed happily as he opened the curtains in Mino's bedroom, even though the sun hasn't risen yet. "What a great day to go fishing!"

"Dad, no," Mino groaned tiredly while Taehyun put his hands over his ears, evidently suffering from a hangover.

"What's the matter, son? It's our tradition. We go fishing every holiday, why would today be any exception?" he said clapping his hands loudly to wake the two boys up.

"But dad," Mino whined.

"Come on! Come on! Up! Up! Up!" Mino's dad continued clapping his hands until the two boys were finally out of bed. "We have to be early so that we can catch some," he announced and left the room.

"My head," Taehyun groaned clutching the side of his head with a pained expression.

"Can't get out of this, sorry. Come, I'll make you coffee or something," Mino suggested trying to take Taehyun by the hand which the younger boy shook off. 

"Still mad at you," Taehyun glared as he walked out of the room to freshen up in the bathroom, making Mino very surprised. He thought the night ended on quite a good note for the younger boy, though he himself had some complaining to do.

Mino went downstairs to see his mom in the kitchen whipping up a hangover soup for them while he made coffee, black, just how Taehyun liked it. Taehyun managed a polite smile for Mino's parents as he settled down tiredly in the kitchen table. Mino cautiously put the coffee in front of his grumpy boyfriend who didn't even spare him a glance. He realized he had forgotten to mention the fishing rituals with his dad but he hoped a calm morning at sea might help Taehyun's hangover and anger.
 

*****

 

The three males reached the place where Mino's dad has anchored his small recreational boat. Mino knew Taehyun had never been on a boat and he tried helping him out, trying to teach him tricks on how not to get seasick or help him with his waterproof overalls but the younger boy still refused to talk to him.

Mino's dad didn't pay much attention to his son's obvious troubles as he went on chatting about the perfect waves and how it was a good day to fish while he steered the boat outwards and stopping when they could no longer see the shore.

"Here are your fishing rods," he said as he handed one to Taehyun. "Mino, fetch the baits from the cabin," he ordered as he taught Taehyun how to use the fishing rod, who was listening attentively, watching carefully at Mr. Song's demonstrations.

"Here," Mino handed an old tin can to his dad, to reveal live worms. It seemed his dad had woken up early to dig them out from their small lawn. There were other insects too, which he bought from the shops but Mr. Song preferred the good old fashion worms. He glanced over at Taehyun who balked at the sight and he found the city boy's face very amusing indeed. But he was afraid to laugh out loud lest he invites the younger boy's wrath.

"Now all you have to do is hook this worm to the end like this," Mino's dad hooked the word and fluid oozed out of it. Taehyun scrunched his eyes tight turning away, hiding his face from the Songs. Mino could hardly hold in his laughter.

"Here, why don't you do it yourself," his dad suggested to Taehyun, holding out the hook and the live worm.

"Give them to me," Mino said snatching them from his dad's hand. His heart leaped when he saw a look of gratitude flash across Taehyun's face, which was quickly replaced by his scowl. 

"But..." his dad was about to protest.

"Dad, just let me," Mino cut him off; he hooked the worm in and handed the fishing pole back to Taehyun who took it without a word. He wondered how long the boy was going to sulk. He proceeded to string his own line and the three sat on the edges of the boat waiting for the fish to take bait, Mino and his dad on one side and Taehyun on the opposite.

Mino and his dad sat chatting about college, work and the family with Taehyun occasionally joining the conversation, answering Mino's dad's questions. Time passed and the two boys didn't catch a single fish while the father caught a few, making fun of the two boys with a smug satisfaction on his face. He went inside the cabin to store what he had caught and come back out to see the two boys tugging at their respective lines.

"Mister Song, I think I caught something," Taehyun huffed out as he got up and struggled with his pole.

"Taehyun-ah, I told you, call me Dad or Father if you'd prefer. Mr. Song sounds funny coming from your mouth," he chided lightly as he watched the two boys struggle.

"Dad, this fish seems to be hella big," Mino exclaimed as he got up on his feet too.

He looked at his son's line in wonder, and then back at Taehyun's and he gave a knowing smile. He went back inside the cabin without saying anything to prepare fresh sashimi with the fishes he caught.

"You caught something too?" Mino asked turning towards Taehyun. Taehyun didn't reply as he continued pulling. Mino felt something was strange. He pulled hard at his line while watching Taehyun's line and realization hit him. 'It can't be,' he thought, but whenever Taehyun gave a large tug he felt his line being pulled down. He let out a resigned laugh at the utter surreal-ness of the situation.

"Taehyun-ah, stop, stop," he exclaimed laughing. Taehyun gave him a confused look. "Watch," he said as he tugged harshly at his line and Taehyun was almost pulled forward. "Now pull your line and watch," he suggested and when Taehyun did, he felt his line being pulled down.

"What the hell!" Taehyun exclaimed.

"We caught each other,"  Mino whispered.  "I believe the sea wants you to stop being angry at me," Mino chanced a guess, face crinkling with merriment.

"Did you do this on purpose?" Taehyun looked livid.

"Wha... how could I? Did you see me going into the water to tie our lines together?" Mino asked.

"This is ridiculous," Taehyun looked perplexed as he tugged on his pole again, almost pulling Mino's unattended pole into the water. "How is this even possible?" he wondered out loud.

"Just accept it, babe. It's fate. Now please stop being mad at me?' Mino begged making his best puppy face. He knew Taehyun isn't completely immune to it, even though the younger acts otherwise.

"Do you even know why I'm mad at you?" Taehyun angrily whispered, afraid that Mino's dad would hear from inside the cabin.

"Yes, I do. And so does everybody at last night's party," Mino replied looking very sure of himself.

"You're lying," Taehyun retorted.

"You don't remember?" Mino asked. Taehyun's face scrunched up in concentration. "You told everyone, actually screamed out loud, that I belonged to you.  Your exact words, 'Mino is my boyfriend and I am his boyfriend’," Mino imitated Taehyun's outburst and watched as a blush crept on Taehyun's stupefied face. He knew the boy was starting to remember.

"I didn't...I would never..," Taehyun spluttered.

"Ah... but I know that you know, that you did," Mino found so much pleasure at his boyfriend's embarrassed face. "You even tried seducing me in my room, and wouldn't take no for an answer," Mino went on.

"Don't lie," Taehyun snarled. "I would never try to sleep with you in your parent's house," he added uncertainly.

"I have a ripped-off shirt to prove it," Mino was almost close to laughing. "You knocked off almost all the buttons of my favorite shirt."

"Fine," Taehyun sighed. "I admit I did say some things at the party, but I was drunk and I didn't mean what I said," Taehyun still held on to his pride. "And you can't convince me that I tried to seduce you," he scoffed.

"I wished it was true though. I wanted to be yours and only yours," Mino teased but he was still afraid to get closer to the younger boy, he decided to let the seducing part go.

"Then why did you leave with Yua? You knew he had a crush on you," Taehyun could not let go of the grudge.

"I didn't know. I swear. And even if he did, what does it matter?" Mino didn't quite understand how Taehyun could be mad for so long, over what he considered to be not a very big deal.

"It matters because he likes you, and you left me with a bunch of strangers to be with him," Taehyun explained hotly.

"It was only for 15 minutes max. And damn it, you don't have to worry about Yua or anybody else who shows any interest in me because I'm not interested in them. All this time I've felt like my ual orientation is you, Nam Taehyun. I don't ever remember feeling this way with anybody else. And also, you can just tell me you didn't want to be left alone, why'd you have to..."

"Kiss me," Taehyun whispered, cutting him off.

"Just listen first. You don't have to run and hide every time..." Mino continued but he suddenly realized Taehyun had said something very important and he felt a sudden flutter at his navel region. "What did you say?" he asked stupidly, wanting to make sure he heard correctly.

"Kiss me?" Taehyun looked at him and bit his lower lip, creating major flip-flops in Mino's stomach.

"Damn! Nam Taehyun, you sure know how to give a man butterflies," he let out as he approached the younger boy.

"Who are you calling a man? Just shut up and kiss..." Taehyun huffed but Mino didn't let him complete his sentence as he claimed those perfect lips. His hand Taehyun's long hair, pulling him closer, and not caring whether his dad would see or not. "...me already," Taehyun finished as they broke away from the quick kiss.

"Damn," Mino cursed again, taking in the image of his boyfriend's flushed cheeks, amazed by his unpredictability all over again. "Did you even listen to a word I said?"

"You lost me at 'My ual orientation is you'," Taehyun replied cheekily.

"Promise me you won't go hiding again when things don't go your way?" Mino begged. He had to get his point across to the boy somehow.

"I... I'll try," Taehyun replied uncertainly.

"I guess I'll have to accept that for..."

"A-hem," they heard Mino's dad clear his throat and Mino quickly retracted his hand from Taehyun's hair. The two boys turned towards him and saw he had brought out freshly sliced sashimi for them and ramyeon for Taehyun.

"Sorry to interrupt but come and eat," he beckoned the blushing boys.

The two boys sat near the food without a word. "So, the sea decided to take matters into her own hands huh?" he teased the youngsters who shifted uncomfortably in their seats. "I wanted to know how long it'd take for you two to figure it out," he continued chuckling.

"You didn't do that did you, father?" Taehyun wanted to make sure. Mino thought Taehyun calling his dad 'Father' was the cutest thing ever.

"How could I? That was all nature. I meant I saw you guys tugging at each other's lines," his dad confirmed.

"I told you. It's fate," Mino smiled and was given a knock on his head by his dad.

"So cheesy," he muttered at his son. 

"Too bad, I really wanted to catch my first fish," Taehyun confessed.

"I guess we can say you caught Mino and isn't he better than some fish?" his dad smiled.

"Now who's cheesier?" Mino muttered under his breath.

 

*****

 

Taehyun and Mino headed back to Seoul that evening after a farewell lunch with Mino's parents. Mino's mum had packed them a lot of kimchi and other side dishes. When they reached the Seoul station, Mino suggested going back to the dorm together and Taehyun readily agreed after Mino hinted that his roommates probably wouldn’t be back till tomorrow.

When they approached Mino's room they could hear loud laughter coming from inside and Taehyun gave his boyfriend a questioning look. Mino didn't answer as he opened his dorm room to reveal the room in chaos with five boys sitting on the floor of the living room. Taehyun's face went impassive.

"Oh! Hey guys," Zico greeted the two dumbstruck boys. The dorm they had left clean and sparkling was now covered in beer bottles, snack wrappers and clothes everywhere.

"Guys how could you!" Mino blurted out, still standing in the doorway. His friends had messed up the place Taehyun has painstakingly cleaned up, and he felt bad, really bad.

"Watchu talking about?" Kyung asked, with unfocused eyes. It was evident that they were high but that didn't stop Mino from berating his friends loudly from the front door.

"Chill," they called out to him lazily, seemingly not bothered by Mino's rant.

"Babe, it's okay," Taehyun tugged at his arm, laughing at his boyfriend who gave him a baleful look. 

"You do not have to clean up after this, all right?" Mino ordered and Taehyun nodded his head in understanding. They joined the others with the impromptu coming-back party.

 

*****

                               

The next morning the couple woke up at the same time and decided to go to the Coffee Bean to get their caffeine fix. As soon as Baekhyun saw the two people entering the coffee shop he quickly bent down to retrieve a signboard with a cartoon drawing of a boy with middle-parted hair, drooping eyebrows, and the words "Danger" written on top and "Do not serve" written below. Taehyun saw it and tried to stifle a laugh while Mino rushed to the counter where Baekhyun had put it up.

"That's mine. Where did you get that?" he asked as he tried to hide it from Taehyun but Baekhyun pulled at it to display it in full view. Taehyun merely quirked an eyebrow at it. "What are you doing?" Mino angrily whispered to Baekhyun who was glaring at Taehyun. It was an all-on staring match. The counter boy seemed to be holding a grudge against him for the time he had rudely lied and ignored him. Taehyun found it quite funny but he kept a straight face as he faced the sullen boy.

"Let's just order our coffee and go," Mino suggested.

"Read the sign," Baekhyun turned the poster towards Mino.

"But I'm not him," Mino complained. "Why are you doing this anyway? What did Taehyun do to you?"

"Doesn't matter. You come alone next time and I will get you your drinks," Baekhyun said resolutely, crossing his arms over his chest. Taehyun felt he must remedy the situation. A thought crossed his mind that after being with Mino, all his rude actions have come back to bite him in the . He had to be better at socializing with people. They all seemed to have a connection with Mino and he didn't want to jeopardize his relationship.

"It's okay, let me handle this," Taehyun said, suggesting to Mino to let him and Baekhyun talk in private. Mino gave them both a worried glance before walking back out the door.

"Okay, what does your girlfriend want? A new bag? Shoes?" he asked Baekhyun as he leaned against the counter.

"What are you talking about?" Baekhyun asked, eyebrows furrowing.

"Isn't that the reason you're working so hard right now? To make your girlfriend happy? Which is it?" Taehyun humored with a questioning gaze.

"Are you trying to buy my forgiveness?" Baekhyun sounded furious.

"A bag right? Which brand? Chanel? Prada? I can get you those," Taehyun suggested with a smirk, not at all intimidated by Baekhyun's apparent anger.

"Really?" Baekhyun's face broke into a huge smile.

"Yes, all you have to do is pretend you don't hate my guts," he smiled; he knew he had the boy hooked.

"Three brand-name bags, any brand will do," Baekhyun demanded.

"One," Taehyun haggled.

"Two," Baekhyun negotiated.

"One. You will get it next Monday," Taehyun smiled. "Deal?" he held out his hand.

"You're good," Baekhyun admired as he shook Taehyun's outstretched hand and taking Taehyun's order.

 

"What did you say to him? And why was he angry in the first place?" Mino wanted to know as Taehyun came outside with the drinks in his hands.

"Nothing you need to worry your pretty head about. As for the drinks, I guess I'll just have to pay a visit to my mom's closet over the weekend," Taehyun smiled mysteriously, saying no more even when Mino begged. He had to help keep Baekhyun's pride after all.

"And is that what you do with my face? I'm disappointed," Taehyun managed to make Mino completely flustered talking about his drawing on Baekhyun's counter. "I think you should submit all your artworks of me, everything, so we won't have a repeat of today," Taehyun continued with a straight face. His hidden intentions were to know exactly how much Mino had drawn him and in what way. To be honest he was a little flattered.

Mino only replied with a flushed face.

"Wanna come over to my place tonight?" Taehyun continued the conversation as casual as he could. He knew Mino wouldn't try and impose himself onto him. His apartment was a sanctuary, however, he decided that he would rather spend all his time with Mino there, without people intruding. If he could have his way, he'll have Mino moving in. The thought of waking up next to his lover every morning sends warmth in his belly. He knew, after a few of those mornings, that waking up next to Mino was pure bliss.

They don't have forever with each other, he knew. He had to make the present count.

*****

 

 

A/N: A thousand apologies, dear readers. I have been too busy to write even though I tried really hard, it just won't work out coz there are too many people around me right now. I hope you'll bear with the waiting this month. I still have real-life things to take care of.

This chapter is seperated into two parts, next part is rated so you can avoid it fully if you're not comfortable with . I promise you will not miss out on anything in the plot even if you choose not to read it. I will try to post it soon.

And I hope you will check out my one-shot "Nam Tinkerbell Taehyun", just a funny little crack fic I wrote when I couldn't find inspiration for this story.

Also, for 25 lives, I will update only when I have finished the story so you guys won't have to wait between chapters like you did in "Namsong River." And I will try to write a Valentine one-shot for "Love is in the air".

Many thanks to 'shanialuz' for the idea for this chapter, and 'vanhangels' for all her help.

And for those who are asking, my twitter is @emieVIP and tumblr is 880818yg. You can always talk to me and spazz with me there. :D

 

 

They say that fate ties an invisible red string

between you and your soul mate.

That no matter if it stretches and twists,

it won't break.

When you had that really long, stray string

on the sleeve of your red hoodie,

and you asked me to get it off,

I kept it.

I tied it on my necklace that I wear everyday.

Sometimes I like to think that

you're on the other end of that string.

-hl