Chapter 8: The Pain of Loss

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

Siwon was leaning up against his tree, when he fell to the ground, clutching his heart. “Ah,” the pain was intense. He could taste blood, and his head began to spin. He felt a sharp pain in his back and neck. As he writhed in pain, he could hear something.

Crying. He opened his eyes. Heechul. He transformed and smelled the air, heading west.

He ran through the woods, looking left and right. The scent of blood became thick, and caused him to gag.

“Siwon!” he could barely make out the cry, but he turned towards the noise. The wind ripped through his fur as he made his way weaving in and out of trees.

He nearly fell on his face at the sight before him.

Heechul was upside down, hanging by a twisted tree root. Roots never grew that tall, not even in the deepest part of the woods. ‘Heejun,’ He ran toward him, blood sloshing between his toes and up his legs. He grabbed a sharp stick and began snaking it between the root and Heechul’s ankles.

He grabbed the vines that bound his hands as his feet went free. He began cutting the vines as he knelt in the pool of blood.

Heechul’s face was painted in his own blood, his hair stuck with clumps of it clotted in knots. There was dried blood on his legs, back and torso.

There was raw skin on his wrists and ankles where he had been bound. Siwon moved over and set him on dry ground, laying his head in his lap.

“Heechul? Heechul, can you hear me?” he asked. Heechul slowly opened his eyes and smiled.

“Siwon,” he said breathlessly. “I knew you’d, that you’d come for me.” He said. His breathing was labored as he reached up to touch his face. Siwon took his hand in his and held it tight.

“Heechul, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean anything that I said. I, I do love you. I love you Heechul, I just, I’m not very good with words, I, I-” tears flowed freely down his cheeks as his lips quivered, desperately searching for the right words to say. “It’s all my fault! If I hadn’t yelled at you, if I had told you from the beginning, this, this wouldn’t have,”

“Shhh, it’s okay, Siwon.” He gently squeezed his hand. “I’m not mad at you; it’s not your fault,” he sadly smiled up at him. “He was going to get one of us at some point, he just chose me,” Siwon shook his head.

“No, no, I won’t let you go. I can’t lose you. I, I won’t.”  He gently picked him up and held him closely to his chest. “We’ll get you home, you’ll be alright, you’ll see.” Heechul just lie his head on Siwon’s shoulder, wishing what he said was true.

*****

Siwon ran into the clearing, straight for Minho. His eyes grew wide as he saw the two drenched in blood. “Fix him,” Siwon commanded, holding Heechul out to him. Minho called for Key and Onew, turning to Leetuk.

“Go get Kris and Kyungsoo, now.” Leetuk nodded and ran as fast as he could.

*****

Kyungsoo sighed as he and Tao carried water back to the clearing. He wished that Sunggyu and Dongwan hadn’t gone off so quickly. He could have made them carry these up the river bank.

As they approached the clearing, Kai came forward. Tao and Kyungsoo looked at each other. He didn’t look pleased at all.

He ripped the jug out of his hand. “Go with Kris, now.” He commanded. Kyungsoo was about to protest when he saw Leetuk. Without as much as a backwards glance, he shot off and obediently followed.

“What’s going on?” he asked, as soon as they had exited the clearing.

“Heejun. He came after Heechul. He’s gravely injured. He’s with Minho right now, but we don’t know how much time he has left. Minho asked me to come fetch you two.” Leetuk explained.

Kai and Kris looked at each other. How far was Heejun willing to go to find Hoya? And why?

*****

Leetuk led them into the hut, where Kyungsoo’s jaw dropped. The shock made him stumble backwards into Kris. There was blood everywhere. Heechul’s throat was slit open, and bleeding freely.

“Come over here, Kyungsoo.” Minho called. Kris stood him up and gently nudged him forward.

“What’s up, Minho?” he asked. Minho looked up, his face completely solemn.

“I’m not going to beat around the bush. He’s not going to make it. There was too much blood loss. They were both practically covered head to foot. I figured with you and Onew here, he’d feel better at least.”

Kyungsoo’s heart dropped into the pit of his stomach. “What about Siwon?” Minho shook his head.

“You didn’t see him, Kyungsoo. He won’t be able to handle it.” Kyungsoo shook his head.

“No, he needs to be with him.” Minho turned to Onew and nodded towards the door. Onew gave Heechul’s hand a small pat, and ran off to fetch Siwon.

Kyungsoo scooted over to Heechul.

“Heechul, can you hear me?” he looked over at him, and smiled.

“Hi,” he whispered. “How have you been?” He bit his lip as he suppressed a cough. “Funny thing, I was on my way to see you, when he came along. At least I get to finish what I started.” Kyungsoo fought back tears as he looked down at his friend.

“So, what were you coming over about?” he asked. Heechul looked up at him.

“Oh, Siwon and I were fighting. He was being an , but I know it’s just because he was worried about the kids.” He sighed. “Heejun is still looking for them. He can’t find them, which means they’re safe, for now.” He held onto Kyungsoo’s hand, weakly gripping it. “I think there might be a hole somewhere in the barrier. No wolf or Lycan can escape, but Seo In has. If you find the hole in the barrier, you might be able to look for him better.”

Kyungsoo nodded. “We’ll find them, Heechul.” Just then, Siwon burst into the tent. Kyungsoo stood up and moved aside so that he could be with him.

“Heechul,” Siwon knelt down and moved his bangs out of his face. “Are you okay?” he immediately cringed, realizing how deep his wounds actually were, and regretted his question. Heechul however, smiled.

“I’m fine, honey. I, I just wish I could see Seo In, one last time.” He said, his breathing faltered a moment as he shuddered. Minho and Kyungsoo quietly backed away.

“Heechul, I don’t want to lose you, what will I do without you?” Heechul gently brought Siwon’s head down to his chest.

“You’ll live, for the both of us. And for Seo In, he, is our living legacy. He’s our everything, and I need you to be strong for him. For me, but most importantly, for yourself.” Tears slid down Siwon’s cheeks.

“One more thing,” he made Siwon look up. “When you find Heejun, rip that motherer’s throat out for me.” Siwon held back a smile. “There, there’s my Siwon. You look so handsome when you smile. I love you, Siwon.”

“I love you too, Heechul.” Siwon bent down and gently kissed him, and for the last time, Heechul closed his eyes, and faded.

A smoky blue haze remained where Heechul had been; it swirled around Siwon, and billowed out of the tent.

“What happens, when a wolf or Lycan dies, Minho?” Kyungsoo asked, for he had never seen anyone die before.

“They return to the earth, as they once were, to be reborn again as something new. As all things do, Kyungsoo.”

Silent tears fell that night, not only from the members in the tent, but from the eyes of his son, Seo In, who felt the loss as he slept, and wept freely from it as a wisp of smoke encircled his head.

Goodbye, my son.’

END OF CHAPTER 8