Chapter 5: Father

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

Seo In growled. But before he charged, he realized what was happening. Kyungsoo had come to check on them, and was caught in the sunlight. He shrank down, a tail protruding from his backside. He came trotting in the cave, and gently grabbed onto Hoya’s hand with his teeth.

Hoya reluctantly followed as he scrambled to his feet. He was led outside the cave. Kyungsoo sat there, waiting. Hoya looked over at Seo In, who was in the cave, leaning up against the wall. Hoya looked out.

The sun was beautiful. He could feel the soft rays of sunlight warming his skin. The sky was all sorts of baby blues, pinks and purple. He looked over at Kyungsoo. He was lying down, whimpering.

“What do you want me to do?” he asked him, thoroughly confused.

“Change.” Seo In said, coming forward. Hoya looked at him.

“Excuse me?” he asked.

“You’re the son of werewolves, you’re supposed to change in the sunlight,” he said, motioning from the sun to Kyungsoo. Hoya shook his head.

“Sorry, but that’s never happened to me before.” He said. Seo In came over and grabbed him by his shoulders, moving him directly into the sunlight.

“You might just need a little time. Be patient, and concentrate.” Hoya took a deep breath. He was supposed to turn into a wolf. He had already seen two people do it. It seemed easy enough. Concentrate. How? He had never tried before. Was it going to hurt? Seo In grabbed him by his chin and pulled his head back to look at him. “Concentrate.” Hoya felt a sharp pain in his knee and buckled.

Seo In held fast to him as he writhed in pain. Kyungsoo trotted over to watch. ‘So nice of my ‘mother’ to just sit there and watch,’ he thought, as his body contorted painfully. He felt his bones cracking and moving around beneath his skin. He whimpered as he felt himself shrinking, and a tail protruded from his backside. As Seo In let him fall to the ground, he squealed, running around in circles, panicking.

AAAAHHHHHHH! A TAIL! WHAT THE HELL? WHAT JUST HAPPENED?’ Kyungsoo came over, and slapped him in the muzzle with a paw. He just sat there looking at him.

Really, Hoya?’ he thought. Hoya lay down and whimpered. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. He grabbed Hoya up by his shackles and nudged him to move forward.

Where are we going now?’ he thought.

Home.’ Kyungsoo answered.

STOP READING MY THOUGHTS!!!

*****

Kyungsoo proudly trotted into the clearing with his son shyly following behind. A large black wolf came up to him, growling. Hoya hid behind Seo In, who was still human. Kyungsoo barked and whined at the black wolf, whose expression seemed to soften. He trotted over to Hoya, nipping his ears.

Come on, Hoya.’ He nodded his head over to a cave. He looked up at Seo In, who nodded. He followed the black wolf and Kyungsoo into the cave, where the six other wolves were sleeping in a pile.

 Kyungsoo circled himself and lay down, nodding Hoya over to his side. He reluctantly lay there next to him, and was then sandwiched between Kyungsoo and the black wolf, whom he assumed to be Kai. Kyungsoo rested his head upon Hoya’s neck, and Kai over his back.

Go to sleep, Hoya.’ Kyungsoo said, nuzzling him. Hoya sighed. What a strange position he was in, figuratively and literally.

*****

Hoya was awoken by paws slapping him in the face as his brothers passed him on their way out of the cave. As he exited, he could see Seo In lying against a rock with his arms crossed. He trotted over to him.

“Awake now, are we?” he asked. Hoya rolled his eyes. Seo In looked up at the sky, as did Hoya. The sun was setting. “Now, you turn back.” He said. Hoya looked at him. Turn back? Every night? This wolf stuff was kind of complicated.

Hoya turned back to see Kai heading off to the clearing, and Kyungsoo trotting over. Kyungsoo shook himself as he stood on his hind legs.

The fur receded from his skin, and his tail disappeared. Where there had been a muzzle before, sat a pair of lips. He looked down at Hoya, smiling kindly.

“Go ahead, honey, you can do it.” Hoya tried to concentrate. He whined as he felt his bones popping. “It’s okay, honey, that’s normal.”

Normal? NORMAL?’ Hoya shook his head, ‘There is nothing normal about being an animal one minute and a person the next!’ all that were coming out were yips and whining. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

“Oh, don’t be such a baby, everyone gets used to it. Soon enough, it won’t even bother you anymore.” Hoya pouted as he began concentrating once more.

He flailed as he felt his bones rearranging themselves and his tail receding. ‘Huuuh!” he gasped and felt his face as he emerged from his wolf state to his human form.

“There we go, good as new.” Kyungsoo pulled him up and brushed him off. “Let’s go.” As they walked to the clearing, Hoya realized that Seo In was still following them.

“Does he have to follow me everywhere?” he asked Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo shrugged.

“Maybe. Just get used to it. I know it’s weird now, but it’s fine. At least he’s not trying to kill you, or anything.” He patted Hoya on the back. “Let’s put it this way, I’ve known him since he was conceived, he’s a nice boy, don’t worry about anything.” Hoya shivered.

Gross,’ he thought to himself. He heard Seo In giggle behind him. Hoya’s face flushed bright red. “STOP READING MY THOUGHTS!” he ran off ahead of them. Kyungsoo turned back and shook his head.

“You ought to be a little more discreet on how you do things.” Seo In laughed.

“Sorry, uncle Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo shrugged.

“Why are you apologizing to me? I’m not the one who ran off screaming like a baby.” He said as they approached the clearing.

*****

Once there, they were met with a very cross Siwon and Heechul. Kai stood next to them, looking quite uncomfortable.

“Where have you been?” Heechul came forward, pulling his son down to eye level by his ear. “We have been looking for you since last night!” Seo In wiggled out of his mother’s grip.

“I was bringing Hoya here, just stop!”  Heechul scowled and shook his head.

“It does not take an entire night to bring someone home!” Seo In rolled his eyes.

“I fell asleep, okay? Everything’s fine, I don’t know what you’re so upset about.” Heechul sighed. Siwon came forward.

“Come on, we need to get going.” As they headed out, Seo In looked back at Hoya. “Let’s go, Seo In.” he sighed, and followed his parents back to their territory, along with Onew, Key and Minho.

“Why do they have to stay in their territory?” Hoya asked Kyungsoo.

“It’s the way it’s always been. It’s not like we don’t go in and out to see each other, but we live separately, it’s just the way it is.”

Hoya was brought out into the middle of the clearing. Kyungsoo put his fingers to his mouth, and whistled. There was a rustling of rocks and leaves as the entire clan gathered.

“Everyone, this is our son Hoya, he’s finally returned to us,” Kyungsoo said, putting his hands on his shoulders. Hoya’s face turned red. The other wolves, people, what have you, cheered and howled with joy.

His brothers came forward and accepted him with open arms. The others crowded around, trying to get a look at him. Kai shooed the others off, saying he needed room.

*****

His brothers crowded around him, curious as to what he had been up to. There were all sorts of questions. How did he survive? Was the man who took him dead? How did he escape? Where had he been? Hoya was a bit overwhelmed. Kyungsoo came over and sat next to him. Hoya felt a little more at ease knowing he was there.

“Heejun is my father,” he faltered. “The man who raised me. He didn’t hurt me, ever.” He said. “He just told me never to come to the woods, and I suppose now I know why.” Kyungsoo put his arm around Hoya.

“You don’t need to worry about him anymore, you’re here now, and we’ll protect you.”  Hoya leaned his head against Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“Thanks…mom.”

*****

After a while, he was allowed to walk around by himself. It had only been a day, but walking around didn’t seem to faze him much anymore. Especially since he wasn’t the only one doing it. Well, besides Seo In at first, but it had still been really awkward.

He turned at the river, facing the log bridge. Seo In was leaning up against a tree. He was clutching his head, and looked sick to his stomach. Hoya stepped forward, causing the log to creak. He looked up.

Seo In was staring back at him. He shook his head. ‘It’s too dangerous.’ He looked over in the distance. ‘The cave. Go there. I’ll find you.’ Hoya’s mouth fell open.

How, how am I hearing you right now?’ Seo In shook his head.

Don’t worry about that right now, just go, hurry.’ Hoya ran as fast as he could, dodging trees and bushes as he went. He fell once, over a tree root that was sticking out of the ground. He shook off the dizziness and ran towards the cave.

He waited by the mouth, looking around nervously for Seo In. He began pacing. What was taking him so long? He should have been here by now. After all, he was much faster than Hoya. He stopped. But he mentioned that the visions made him tired. How many did he have today? Were they, or was it as strong as the one he had last night? He turned around and was thrown back.

As he tried screaming the hand that covered his mouth clamped tighter around his face. “Shush! Damn, you are so loud!” Seo In was above him. He had dark circles under his eyes, and looked quite gaunt.

“Seo In,” he gently lifted his hand to his face. Seo quickly sat up, pushing Hoya away from himself. He struggled to move the boulder, shoving it to the side with all his might. He fell to his knees, panting and out of breath.

“Seo In,” Hoya grabbed him by his arm, slung it over his shoulders and helped him into the cave. As he set him down, Seo In pulled him to the ground, pinning him there. “OW! Get off!” Hoya tried pushing him off, but Seo In just lay there. He took Hoya’s hand and put it to his neck. Hoya sighed.

“What is wrong with you?” he asked, trying to push him off. “Did your mother not teach you manners?” Seo In scowled at him.

“Don’t talk about my mother like that!” Hoya sheepishly looked away. Seo In settled his head onto Hoya’s chest, clamping his hand down on Hoya’s.

“I didn’t say you could use my hand,” Hoya tried pulling away, but Seo In’s grip was firm. “Let go!” Seo In shook his head.

“No, I need you.” Hoya rolled his eyes.

“Need someone else, find someone different.”

“I can’t.”

“Why not?” he asked. Seo In looked up at him.

“You’re the only one who’s ever gone with me to the Farplane. You’re the only one who can hear me, and I can hear you, you’re the only one who makes me whole again.”

“There’s no point in me being here, you don’t even like me, I’m just a tool to you.” Seo In grimaced.

“Hoya, no, that’s not what I meant,”

“Then what do you mean? Stop lying to me! What’s going on?”

“Hoya, please calm down, just let me explain-”

“Just let me go,” hot tears welled up in his eyes, threatening to spill over.  “Leave me alone, I don’t want to be here. You’re just confusing me, and-” Seo In threw Hoya down and pressed his lips to his. Tears ran down the side of Hoya’s face, getting into his hair and trickling down his ears. Seo In put his arms around Hoya, embracing him tightly.

Hoya put his arm around Seo In’s neck. His kiss was like a black hole, him in when he wanted to leave. The place on Seo In’s neck where Hoya’s hand was pulsed wildly, a steady vibration echoed through his body, until there was nothing.

Nothing, but pitch black.

*****

The first thing Hoya heard was a heartbeat. It was steady. As he regained consciousness, he felt his head moving up and down with the rhythm of Seo In’s breathing. He opened his eyes. ‘Back in the Farplane.’ He thought, rising.

 He turned to Seo In. His hand was still on his neck. He could feel their bodies pulsating as one. He ripped his hand away, holding it to his chest. He blushed as his fingertips brushed his lips, still swollen with the remnants of Seo In’s kiss.

He stood up and looked around. The Technicolor sky and rainbow waterfall were still there, the same as ever. He walked around, wanting to explore. He went left, following the stream that led to the waterfall. The grass tickled his feet as he made his way through the grove of trees.

He picked up a peach and sat under a tree, tossing and catching it in his hands. Seo In was confusing him. One minute he doesn’t like him, the next he’s kissing him. He doesn’t want him, but he needs him. ‘Why can’t he just find someone else?’ he wondered, tossing the fruit a little higher. ‘I wish I’d never left home.’ He caught the peach, and brought it to his lips.

He stopped. Was, was it whispering to him? He lifted the fruit to his ear. Yes. He could hear something, something faint.

Hoya felt a sharp pain in his wrist as the peach went flying from his hand. He looked up, clutching his heart in surprise. Seo In stood over him, scowling. “Don’t ever eat anything that comes from here, ever.” Hoya looked over at the peach, now bruised and split open, the pulp leaking onto the forest floor.

“Why not?” he asked.

“If you eat anything from here, you can’t return to the outside.” He explained. Hoya nodded.

“Just to let you know, I wasn’t eating it. I was listening to it. It was whispering to me.” Seo In looked from the peach to Hoya with a befuddled look on his face.

“Well…whatever. Don’t eat it, don’t talk to it, and don’t listen to it. Stay away from here.” He grabbed his hand and began pulling him back to the clearing.

“Where are you taking me now?” asked Hoya.

“Back.” Hoya dug his heels into the soil. Seo In looked back.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“We keep coming back here for a reason. Why don’t we figure it out?” he asked. Seo In sighed.

“I already know what I need to do.”

“And what about me?” Seo In looked over at him.

“You just need to stay safe.”

“I want to know what you have to do. Why do I need to be here?” he asked. “You’re sending me all these mixed signals, but for some reason you make me stick around, even if you don’t want me here. I need to know why.”

“Why does it matter so much to you?”

“Because it’s my life too, and I deserve to know what’s going on. Don’t keep me in the dark anymore, Seo In. I’ve been there long enough.” Seo In swung Hoya around and grabbed onto his hands.

He brought them both down to his knees, forehead to forehead. Seo In closed his eyes, and Hoya did the same.

They were jerked into a swirling abyss. Hoya felt like his head was about to crack open. As he began to panic, they were thrown down hard. Hoya rose, and shrank back against Seo In.

The forest was on fire. There was blood everywhere. He could hear screams of people begging for their lives.

In the distance, he saw a man hanging from a tree. He had dark hair and round eyes. Hoya put his hand to his mouth to stifle his scream. It was his father, Heejun. There was a man below him, laughing. He was tall, and wore a black cloak and dark hat with a wide brim. It was lowered over his face, but he could see the scars. The sunken eyes glittered like beetles from beneath his brim.

He turned in Hoya’s direction, and he felt his heart stop.

*****

Hoya gasped. His lips parted from Seo In’s. He could hear his strangled cries echo off the cave walls. He scrambled away from him, and curled up against the wall.

“What was that?” he asked, clutching his arms in fear. Seo In sank down next to him.

“The Undertaker. He’s coming, and I have to fight him.” He turned to Hoya. “You are my Healer. You keep me safe. I need you by my side.” Hoya’s breathing was shaky. He was still gasping for air.

“Why? Why can’t you find someone else?” he asked. Seo In shook his head.

“This isn’t something I chose, it’s my destiny. Like how yours is intertwined with mine.” Seo In leaned forward, coming closer and closer.

Hoya could smell the mint leaves on his breath. He turned, looking him in the eye. “Hoya,” his heart began to beat faster.

“Seo In?” Seo In’s eyes widened.

“Hoya look out!” Seo In was thrown into the back of the cave. Hoya turned, his eyes wide with fear. Heejun stood there, a bat in his hand.

“Hoya,”

“Father?” Heejun grabbed onto Hoya’s hand. Hoya looked back at Seo In, trapped beneath fallen stalactites. “Seo In,” He reached out his hand for him, but Heejun pulled him back.

“We’re going home, Hoya,” Heejun held out his hand.

“Dad, Dad, no!” he snapped his fingers, and they were gone.

END OF CHAPTER 5