Chapter 13: The Battle Goes On, And So Does Life

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

Hoya awoke, his head spinning. He could hear the waterfall. As he opened his eyes, the scenery was hazy, and the Farplane was spinning. He rubbed his eyes and shakily sat up. Looking over, he could see Seo In and the Undertaker. Seo In was sprawled out several feet away. There was a jagged gash on his forehead. Blood was trickling down his cheek.

Hoya crawled over to him. “Seo In, Seo In, are you alright?” he asked. “Speak to me!” he softly patted his cheek. He was rather pale. He looked around. His clothes. He had left them in the Farplane before. He took his shirt, and ripped it, dabbing away at the blood.

Seo In groaned, taking Hoya’s hand and putting it to his neck. Hoya sighed with relief. A soft glow emitted from beneath his hand, and a familiar hum resonated in his arm. Seo In too sighed with relief. “That’s better.” He whispered.

“I’m glad you’re alright. I was worried there for a moment.” Hoya said, softly brushing his hair out of his face. Seo In smiled up at him.

“Of course I’m alright, he didn’t do much damage. I’m glad we stopped him before anything bad happened.” Seo In’s face fell as he saw that Hoya was beginning to cry. “Hoya, Hoya what’s wrong?” he asked.

“Heejun, he, he’s…” dead. He couldn’t choke out the words. But he didn’t need to. Heejun had been very clear. He wasn’t going to be alive when they got back. Who would be? Would he see his father again? What about Hoya’s family? What of them?

A rustling sound alerted them, and they both looked up. The Undertaker had risen. He was looking around, and was truly terrified.

“What, what is this place? Where is the forest?” he looked over at them. Suddenly, he began glaring at Hoya.

“You,” he pointed a dagger like finger his way. “You, you’re the one I was warned about. I should have killed you when I had the chance.” He rose, his torn robes billowing in the soft breeze.

Hoya held fast to Seo In’s neck, concentrating with all his might. If he could heal him in time, perhaps they could both leave this place, and lock the Undertaker here for good.

No, Hoya.’ Seo In intruded on his thought process. ‘You know what has to be done.’ Hoya’s heart dropped. Of course. Mother Shiva had told them that only one would come back. Only one. And that person couldn’t leave, until the Undertaker had crossed over to the other side. Hoya looked around.

The river. Perhaps, perhaps he was supposed to cross the river, and then that person could leave. The Undertaker had spared him before, why not now? He could convince him, and-

No.’ Seo In intruded upon his thoughts once more. Hoya looked down at him. ‘You can’t stay here. You need to be with your family. All that time, wasted. They need you now more than ever, Hoya.

But, what about you? Your dad needs you, especially now that your mother is gone,’ his eyes pleaded with him. Seo In shook his head.

I’m going to get back your mother’s soul, and you’re going to bring it to him. You’re going to protect me, like you’re supposed to.’ He gently touched his face. Hoya shook his head.

No, I won’t leave you,’ Seo In put a finger to Hoya’s lips.

Don’t cry. Don’t fight back. Once I’m healed, I’ll use the power I have to take out his soul. We have a limited time, Hoya. We can’t be petty and fight over this like children.’ Tears threatened to spill down Hoya’s cheeks.

I don’t want to leave you Seo In, I love you.’ Seo In smiled.

That’s why I have to let you go. Because I love you too, and I need you to be safe, until the time comes, when we can be together again.’ Hoya gently kissed Seo In’s forehead, and Seo In in turn removed his hand from himself. ‘It’s time.’

The Undertaker stood there, gawking at them. His face contorted into a crooked smile, and he began to laugh. “Foolish children, do you really think you can keep me here? I have the Pure Soul. I have the power to destroy this world and the next. What makes you think that you can defeat me?"

“Because,” Seo In said, letting go of Hoya, and coming face to face with the Undertaker. “We have something worth fighting for.” He stuck his hands through the Undertaker’s chest. The remorseless being crumbled to his knees.

Seo In pulled back with all his might. And with everything he had, The Undertaker pulled back, grasping onto Seo In’s arms. His jagged nails cut at his soft flesh.

Hoya ran forward and wrapped his arms around Seo In, placing his palms downward onto his skin. A soft glow emanated from beneath them.

As Seo In pulled back, The Undertaker pulled forward. “I should have killed you when Heejun brought you to me sixteen years ago,” he said through gritted teeth.

“Well, that was your biggest mistake, wasn’t it?” Hoya retorted, concentrating all the power he had, and gave a huge tug.

Seo In ripped his arms through the Undertaker’s chest. Bones cracked as he lifted the blue flame from his chest cavity. Seo In fell backwards, as he fought off the Undertaker as he crawled toward them.

“Hoya,” he turned to him. “Take it,” he his mother’s soul into his hands. “Run, run Hoya.”

“But, Seo In, when will I…”

“It doesn’t matter. What matters now is that you make sure that you don’t lose your mother. Now, go.” A door of light appeared.

“I’ll come back to you Hoya, I promise.” He kissed him, and with one good shove, him through the door, and closed it.

*****

Kangta stood with Siwon, as they looked on the heap of bodies. Heejun had been torn to pieces by the Impact of the Undertaker’s final blow. Tony lie beside him, blood still seeping from his wounds.

Kyungsoo lie a few feet away, quickly deteriorating.

Siwon shook his head. “I, I don’t know what to do, brother.” He turned to Kangta. “What am I to do?” he motioned to the carnage. “What if they don’t make it out? What then? What will become of us? Of everyone?”

Kangta smiled weakly. “Don’t fear, little brother. The children will bring about his end. There’s no worry about that.” He looked over at Taemin, who was trying to console Kai as he wept over Kyungsoo. “But there is another matter that I need you to take heed of,” he directed Siwon’s gaze to Taemin.

“Heejun is dead. And soon, I will be too” Siwon looked up at his brother in shock.

“Excuse me?” Kangta fought the urge to cry as he looked down up his younger sibling.

“Mother Shiva couldn’t save me. The only reason Heejun made the deal with the Undertaker instead of going about it a different way was so that I may live. So that one day, when we could finally find our clan, that Taemin and I could be together again.”

“But,” he said, looking back at Taemin. “Heejun said that once he passed, that so would I. I am a work of Dark magic, and I can’t stay here while my tether to this world is gone. I too shall pass soon. And I need you to promise me something.”

“And what is that, brother?” Kangta rested his hands on Siwon’s shoulders.

“Take care of him. Love him, as he deserves. He still loves you, though he won’t admit it openly to me. But I see the way he looks at you.” Siwon’s cheeks flushed red.

“Kangta, listen, I don’t-” his brother put his hand up to silence him.

“He’ll need you once I’m gone. Take care of him. Promise me.” Siwon took a deep breath.

“I promise.”

The two men turned as they heard a ‘THUD.’ Hoya was gasping for air on the ground. Siwon ran forward, helping him to his feet. He clutched a glowing object as he stumbled forward.

“Taemin,” he whispered weakly. Taemin rushed forward and brought him over to Kyungsoo. “I, I hope I’m not, t-too late,” he gently pressed the wisp of light into Kyungsoo’s chest.

Moments passed. Kai held his breath as he watched Kyungsoo. Hoya lie in Taemin’s arms, exhausted. Siwon and Kangta looked on.

Kai jumped as Kyungsoo took a breath, and began having spasms from a coughing fit. “Kyungsoo,” he gently lifted his head. Kyungsoo shook his head, it was spinning and his stomach was churning like he was about to vomit.

“Kai?” he whispered, gently raising his hand to his husband’s cheek.

“Kyungsoo, you’re okay!” he exclaimed, throwing his arms around him. Kangta nodded to Siwon, who took Hoya into his arms as Kangta led Taemin a few feet away.

“I love you, Taemin,” he said, his long auburn locks. Taemin smiled sweetly at him.

“I love you too, Kangta.” His heart fluttered. He wondered what he could want. Perhaps he was going to ask him something…

“I want you to know, that these past years with you, have been the happiest of my life. And I owe that all to you.” Taemin cupped his hands in his own.

“Kangta, I-” he felt Kangta’s lips on his own. He threw his arms around his neck as Kangta embraced him.

“Never forget me, Taemin.” He whispered.

“Of course not, how could,” Taemin’s eyes grew wide as Kangta’s skin turned to ashes, and he was left in the arms of a skeleton. “AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!”

Siwon unceremoniously Kai’s child into his arms as he ran to Taemin. He was screaming bloody murder as Siwon threw his brother’s remains aside and held him. Taemin sobbed into Siwon’s shoulder, gingerly wrapping his arms around him.

“Wh-what am I going to d-do now?” he asked, looking up at him. “I, I’m all alone!” tears streaked his pale cheeks. Siwon softly brushed them away.

“You could, come back home, with me.” Taemin’s sobs turned to hiccups as he looked up at him.

“Come, back home…but, I’m, I’m human.” Siwon cupped Taemin’s face.

“I, I could fix that, and you could come home. We all miss you Taemin.” He said. Taemin took Siwon’s hand in his own.

“It, it’s going to hurt a lot, isn’t it?” Siwon nodded.

“You were there when I changed Heechul, I’m sure you know what’s in store.” Taemin closed his eyes. Siwon moved Taemin’s hair, and sank his teeth into his neck.

Hoya cringed and buried his face in his father’s shoulder as he heard Siwon’s teeth ripping into Taemin’s neck. His bloodcurdling scream made him cover his ears. He was certainly glad that he had been born this way. Changing like that sounded terrible.

He could hear heavy breathing. He dared to turn and look. Siwon was holding Taemin as blood dripped from his neck, as well as Siwon’s chin. Kai looked up at him.

“Quite finished?” he asked, holding his family close. Siwon shot him an awkward smile.

“Well, I assume you’ll be at the wedding?” he chided. Kai smiled.

“Just make sure your bride doesn’t run off again.” He said. Siwon chuckled.

“Oh, he won’t, don’t worry.” Siwon looked down at Hoya. He looked back at his son, puzzled.

“How are you out, and he’s still in?” he asked, looking back at the two bodies.

“He,” Hoya choked back his tears. “He made me leave, so that he could take the Undertaker to the other side. He said, that I had to take care of him.” Siwon looked from his son to Hoya, and smiled.

“Take good care of him then,” he said. Hoya nodded.

“I will. I promise.”

*****

Soon, Siwon brought Seo In and The Undertaker to the Lycan territory. He asked that Hoya make daily visits, to make sure that Seo In was okay. He wholeheartedly agreed.

Back at home, Kyungsoo was taken to Kris’s cave, and given an exam. Unlike everyone else, Hoya, Kris and Kyungsoo were worried. Hoya had told Kris that Mother Elena had shown them everything; there was no need to hide.

Kris in turn told him that there was a possibility that Kyungsoo was pregnant with his children.

“So much for a happy ending, then huh?” Hoya asked, folding his arms.

“We all sacrificed something. You and Seo In sacrificed what you had to keep the Undertaker in the Farplane, so that he could cross over. And we too sacrificed the sanctity of our relationships. Freedom doesn’t come without a cost.” Kris explained. Hoya sighed.

“I know, but how are you going to explain this to dad?” he asked, looking at Kyungsoo. Kris and Kyungsoo looked at each other and sighed.

“We can’t tell him. You can’t tell him. Ever.”

“What?” Hoya looked at both of them in astonishment. “You’re going trick him into thinking that those are his kids? That’s awful!” he shot back at them.

“Do you know the punishment for adultery here?” asked Kris. Hoya shook his head. “Death. And I’ve already been on the cusp of that once with Kai, due to a misunderstanding. Even if we did it to save the world, I don’t think he’d be so forgiving.” Hoya sighed.

Kyungsoo sat next to him and ruffled his hair. “I know it’s hard to accept, but you need to realize that we’re not doing this because we want to, but because we have to, in order to keep order within our clan.” Hoya leaned his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, and let him run his hands through his hair.

“Love is ridiculous.” Hoya retorted. Kyungsoo smiled.

“Yes it is. But love is the reason you’re here.” Hoya rolled his eyes.

“How, are you going to…” his voice trailed off, but Kyungsoo knew what he meant.

“Exactly how we made you.” He ruffled his hair and got up. Hoya shuddered.

“Eew. Gross.” Kyungsoo shrugged.

“I wouldn’t follow, if I were you.” He waved to Kris, and left. Hoya hugged his knees.

“How long do you think it will take Seo In to help the Undertaker to cross over?” Hoya asked. Kris shrugged.

“He was pretty hell-bent on the utter destruction of the world, so, it could take a while.” Kris patted his back.

“It’ll be alright.” Hoya shook his head.

“No. Even if he does manage to defeat the Undertaker once and for all, we can’t be together. He’s a Lycan, and I’m a wolf. He’s not allowed to marry me.” Tears trickled down Hoya’s face. “We’ll never be allowed to be together.”

“You know,” Kris said, leaning back next to Hoya. “There was a time when Kai feared that Kyungsoo would leave him for a Lycan.” Hoya looked over at Kris.

“Who?” he asked.

“Siwon.” Hoya’s eyes widened.

“Seo In’s father?” he asked. Kris nodded.

“But Kyungsoo loves Kai, more than he could ever tell him. He would never leave him. He hadn’t even considered the idea.”

“But you know,” he continued. “That the Lycans, though opposed, didn’t question. We’re too similar to say ‘never,’ but there’s just enough difference to cause a rift between us. But instead, love prevailed, and we are best friends, and allies.” Hoya still didn’t seem too happy.

“Then, why couldn’t Seo In and I be together?” he asked.

“Because once Heechul was married to Siwon, he and Kai wanted to make sure that an incident like that never happened again. So, they forbade any Lycan and wolf from marriage.” Hoya sighed.

“Wonderful. So, what you’re saying is, my mom messed up my current situation?” Kris shook his head.

“If it weren’t for your mom, Seo In wouldn’t have come into existence.” He shrugged. “Your mom may still be young at heart, but he means well for you.” He put his hand on Hoya’s shoulder.

“Your parents waited sixteen years to have you back. Don’t be cross with them. Love them. Get to know them. And in time, you’ll forgive him.” Hoya nodded.

“Thanks Kris. I suppose I could try.” He patted his back.

“Now, go visit Seo In. They’ll be worried if you don’t.” Hoya nodded to him as he headed out.

*****

Hoya entered Minho’s tent, where Seo In and the Undertaker lie side by side. They had been spread far out as physically possible, but Seo In had a good grip on his arm. Hoya smiled at Minho and sat next to Seo In.

“Did he show any signs of waking?” he asked. Minho shook his head.

“No, but he smiles every time I tell him that you’re coming to visit.” Hoya smiled too. He was still there, somewhere.

“One day, you’ll be free, and I’ll be able to talk to you again, and you can respond to me with more than a smile.” he gently moved Seo In’s bangs from in front of his eyes. “I long for that day.”

Seo In smiled, as if to agree.

END OF CHAPTER 13