Chapter 20: Searching

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

I had run off. I didn’t care where I ended up; I just wanted to get away from it all. It was a lot for me to take in at 18. Leader of my clan? I knew I was too young. I thought my father was foolish. What could I possibly do to protect everyone? I was still just a child.

‘Tony reassured me time and again, but I had my doubts. My father was fully healed several months later, but he refused to take back his decision. I would become leader. It had to be so. He knew that this time was the last that he could take, and it was my turn to take the lead.

“I know it’s going to be hard, Heejun, but like I and the many leaders before us, we must go through with it. You know we have to.” He looked down at me; his eyes told me he had resigned to his fate, as should I.

“I, I can’t, you’re, you’re my father.” I could feel a lump in my throat. He nodded.

“I felt the same way when I was your age. But it has to be done. It is our way. You know the reason.” I quickly looked away; for fear that he might see my tears.

“It’s not fair!” I pouted. I was rather immature about the whole situation, but my father just laughed and patted my head.

“It will be so. Whether you like it or not, come the first full moon of autumn, it will happen. And then, whether you are confident now or not, you’ll do exactly as you’re supposed to. It always happens.” He walked away from me, and with him, I felt myself slowly dying inside.

****

‘As the months passed, Kangta and the others helped me train for what I had to do. Tony was my constant rock, I could tell him things I was too self-conscious about to tell Kangta, my best friend.

‘The first time he kissed me (yeah, I know Hoya, weird to hear me talk about this. If it helps any, it feels weird to write about it), we were sitting at the lake that borders the Lycan and wolf territories.

‘I had been sitting alone, until I heard a rustling in the bushes. I sighed exasperatedly. “I know that’s you, Tony. Stop that. It’s annoying.”

‘Tony rolled his eyes as he sauntered out of the bush and sat next to me. “You’re no fun, you grump!” he said, punching me in my shoulder. I rolled my eyes. Tony leaned on my shoulder.

“Gosh, I hate in when you’re in one of your moods. Why can’t you lighten up, just a little?” I looked over at him and sighed.

“I am about take the lead role in this pack, and I have absolutely no self-confidence.” I confessed. “I’m frightened. I can’t be leader, I can’t even throw a decent punch, I-“

‘Tony took my face in his hands and kissed me. I fell over in surprise and he ended up on top of me. If that weren’t awkward enough, later on Kangta had told me that he caught us as he was looking for Taemin.

“Tony!” I gasped in surprise. It was his turn to roll his eyes.

“Were both practically adults. Besides, what’s wrong with a kiss?” he asked, gently my hair. I could feel my heart pounding in my throat.

“N-nothing, I just,” he gently put a finger to my lips. “Heejun,” he said, wrapping his arms around my neck and resting his forehead upon mine, so that he was above me, “Be mine.”

My heart beat rapidly in my chest, and I felt faint. “W-what?”

“It’s been long enough, Heejun.” He said, brushing a stray hair out of my eyes. “They’re going to find out, one way or another,” he said, holding on to his abdomen. I blushed, knowing exactly what he meant.”

“Wait, what does that mean?” Hoya asked. Minho pointed over to the left of them, Onew was on his back, looking at old scrolls. He turned and waved to them.

Hoya blushed. “Oh…right. Continue.” Minho nodded.

“I shall.”

“This is all happening so fast, I don’t even know what to say,” Tony smiled.

“’Yes’ would be the best received answer.” He said.

“Wait, I thought Lycans and Wolves couldn’t mate UNTIL they married,” asked Hoya. Minho nodded.

“True, but Heejun had a way of bending rules. Which is what led to his downfall in the first place.”

“Huh?” Hoya was thoroughly confused. Minho closed the diary.

“I know for a fact that Heejun and Tony had premarital , you know the term, being in the human world, I presume?” Hoya nodded.

“This of course, is not possible upon normal circumstances in the tribe. The only way this could happen, if it were, forced, or done by another power.”

“So he either, Tony, or…”

“Black Magic, Hoya.” Hoya’s brow furrowed in disbelief.

“What???” he shook his head and rolled his eyes. Minho set the diary aside.

“I don’t need this diary to tell you what Heejun did. Because my teacher saw it for himself. He did it, himself, and told me, as a cautionary tale.” Hoya crossed his arms, ready for the great arc in the story.

“What did he do? Sell his soul?” he asked.

“Precisely.” Hoya’s jaw dropped. Minho picked the diary back up.

“To make this short, he DID end up marrying Tony, in front of his father and everyone, against the elders’ wishes because marriage is reserved for those of age, 21.”

“Well that’s a bit much, why not younger?”

“Because young people are stupid.” Minho said, his finger and turning pages. “They make rash decisions without thinking of the consequences.” He looked over at Seo In.

“So what you’re saying is, Seo In is stupid.” Minho shook his head.

“No, Seo In isn’t stupid, just the decision he made.” He looked intently at Hoya. “And so did Heejun, when he sold his soul to the Undertaker to save Tony.”

Onew’s head shot in their direction. “What?” Minho sighed and turned to Onew. “Tony told me what happened when I was an apprentice. Apparently, he became very ill while carrying you, and he was practically on his deathbed. Heejun was desperate, and nobody could help. It wasn’t a sickness we had.”

“Do we even have sicknesses usually, Wolves or Lycans?” Minho turned to him.

“Yes, but this was, a human sickness.” Onew’s eyes grew wide.

“But the barrier was still up back then.” Minho shook his head. “Hoya had gone to the Undertaker before this, and in turn for power, had given him 300 years of his life.” He turned to Hoya.

“Lycans and Wolves live a long time, but not forever. We are not immortal.”

“Why would he do such a thing?”

“I told you, young people are stupid.” He picked up the diary. “Power was his first choice. He, like Seo In, wanted to explore the world. But in doing so, nearly killed his beloved and unborn child. After that, he would do anything to keep them safe, and the Undertaker knew this all too well.”

“Who IS the Undertaker anyway?” Hoya asked. Minho shrugged.

“Nobody knows, really.” He said, turning once again to Hoya.

“To learn that type of knowledge, you’d have to ask Mother Shiva.” Hoya turned to Seo In, his face pale and void of emotion. He turned back to Minho.

“I’ll do anything, for him.”

“That’s the type of stupidity that got Heejun in trouble.” He said, tossing the diary aside. Onew, on the other hand, took it up and wrapped it in fur, stowing it away in an empty urn in the far corner of the hut.

“First, we must speak to your parents.”

*****

“Absolutely NOT!” Kai growled. Kyungsoo put a gentle hand upon his shoulder. Kyungsoo’s eyes were filled with concern.

“What are you even thinking?!?! He glared at Onew and Minho. “Especially you two! Haven’t you had enough of the human world yet?” Onew rubbed his neck and looked down at his feet sheepishly. Minho crossed his arms.

“Seo In is still in a coma, and we can’t wake him. We should at least find out the reason Heejun did what he did, perhaps there’s some sort of answer to it.” Kyungsoo furrowed his brow.

“No.” Kai turned to him, his eyes ablaze. “I will not lose our son again!” Kyungsoo looked up at him with empathetic eyes.

“Heechul never got to see his son in his dying moments. I want to know why.” He turned to Minho. “I’m coming with you.” Kai’s eyes grew wide.

“Kyungsoo, no!” he grabbed hold of his arm, twisting him around to meet him face to face. “I lost you three times,” he said, “THREE TIMES.” His grip tightened. “I won’t lose you or our son again.” Kyungsoo ripped his hand out of Kai’s grip.

“Siwon and Seo In deserve to know why Heechul died. And whether you like it or not, I’m going with them.”

“That’s what he WANTS!” he cried. Kris and Tao shot out from the wilderness, Baekhyun not far behind.

“What is going on here?” Tao came forward, a raging storm brewing in his eyes.

“He wants to leave the village AGAIN! This time, with our son!” Tao shook his head.

“Kyungsoo, are you mad? Do you have a death wish?” Kyungsoo stood firm.

“I need to know why Heechul died, because Seo In and Siwon deserve to know.”

“That is a Lycan matter,-”

“Not when my son is involved, it’s not.” Tao was speechless. There was hardly a moment when he was, and this time, there was no snarky comment hiding beneath his tough façade.

“I’m leaving. Whether you choose to me or not is entirely up to you.” He looked at the three of them, and then turned to Kai.

“But you have to stay behind.” Kai growled in protest. “Keep our other children safe, and our people.” He kissed him on his cheek, and while his fury still raged within, Kai stood down.

He turned to the others. Kris put a hand on Tao’s shoulder, and he nodded in silent agreement. “I’m coming with you, again, I suppose.” He flashed him a sarcastic grin.

“Here we go again, saving people and stuff, I suppose.”

“I’m coming too,” Baekhyun stepped forward. He turned to Tao. “Will you inform Chanyeol for me?” Tao nodded. He smiled at Kyungsoo. “I’m here for you too.”

Kyungsoo turned to Minho. “Lead the way.” He nodded as they headed back out into the woods, searching for the answers they so desperately needed to awaken Seo In.

 

END OF CHAPTER 20