Chapter 2: Freedom

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

16 years later…

Hoya waited in the park for his father. It was early morning, though if you were a foreigner, you wouldn’t be able to tell. It was always twilight in Mieda. You could never tell if it was morning or night, because the position of the sun never changed here. The clock in the middle of town was the only way to tell time.

In his entire life, it had seemed if time had stood still. Nothing ever changed here, and seldom did the people. Those who came never stayed long. It was a humdrum life here in Mieda.

Hoya plucked the grass at his feet, twirling a clover in his hands. He had never been allowed on the outside. This town was all he had ever known. The rolling hills and forest beyond were legends and stories, passed down from generation to generation.

Monsters lived in the woods, and they devoured any who came near. Only the crazy medicine woman, Mother Shiva had ever come out alive. Somewhere in the woods lie the secret of the forest’s power. The Underworld was located in the well in the middle of town. Complete rubbish, to Hoya. He never believed in that hogwash.

Hoya’s head perked up as he heard a twig snap. He smiled as he saw his father draw near. “Father!” he jumped up and ran into his arms. Heejun ruffled the boy’s hair.

“There you are! Your hearing gets better every day.” He said, straightening out his clothes. “Now, why don’t we go home?” he asked. Hoya’s mouth dropped.

Dad! You promised a surprise!” he whined. Heejun smiled. It was his 16th birthday, and he had planned to spend the day with his father, who had promised him something special.

“And you’ll get it, at home.”

“Then why did you tell me to come out here?” Heejun shrugged.

“I was tired of you skulking around the house all day. You needed some exercise.” Hoya playfully pushed his father.

“Whatever!” he said, running ahead of him.

“Not too far! I need to be able to see you!” he called out. Hoya stood there, waiting for his father.

“It’s not like I’m going to fly off anywhere!” he called back.

*****

They approached a small shack near the woods. The border between their yard and the woods was blocked off by a ten-foot high brick wall. Barbed wire surrounded the top, with sharp metal arrows peeking from the top of the wall. Hoya had asked his father why they needed the wall in the first place, and he had always answered,

“To keep them out, and to keep you safe.” Who was ‘them’? Why did he need to be protected? It was always something he wondered, and never really knew the answer to, not that he though he ever would know.

They entered the house, removing their shoes at the door. Hoya went into the kitchen and put the kettle onto the fire, striking a match and throwing it into the mouth of the fireplace. He went over to the pantry and pulled out the loaf of bread, cutting two slices. He went into the fridge and took out the butter and jam.

“Ah!” he ran over to the kettle as he saw it began to boil over. He brought it over to the breakfast table and set it on an oven mitt. He then brought over the tray of food and set it upon the table.

“So, what’s the surprise?” asked Hoya. His father just looked at him. “What?” he asked. Heejun shook his head and smiled.

“Nothing. You just can’t wait, can you?” he asked. Hoya shook his head.

“You oughta know me by now, Dad. I’m not very patient.” He shrugged, reaching out to pluck a piece of bread from the loaf.

“After breakfast then.” Hoya smiled as he shoved a large piece of bread in his mouth. “I said after breakfast, not your funeral.” Chided Heejun, spreading jam on his bread. 

*****

Heejun had instructed Hoya to put on his sweater as they ventured out. They walked through the middle of town, and down Main Street. Hoya looked over as he saw men dragging a large container into the warehouse. Snarling and pounding emitted from the container. Hoya hid behind his father.

“Dad, what’s in that?” he asked. Heejun grimaced.

“I’m sure it’s just a pig going to slaughter. Nothing to be afraid of, Hoya.” He said, gently running his hand through the boy’s hair. They walked past the warehouse and out through the town gate.

“Dad, where are we going?” he asked, as they approached the woods.

“Don’t tell me you believe all that malarkey about monsters in the woods, Hoya?” he asked with a smile. Hoy straightened himself.

“No, it’s just that, we’ve never gone here before.” Heejun smiled.

“Well, today we are.” Hoya smiled back.

“Where are we going?” he asked.

“To visit family.” Heejun closed and locked the town gate, and turned towards the woods. “Ready?” Hoya eagerly nodded his head. “Then let’s go.”

*****

They walked through the woods upon the beaten path. Hoya saw a pretty flower on the side of the path, and bent over to pick it up. “Don’t,” Hoya drew his hand back as his father turned to him. “It’s poisonous, don’t touch it.” Hoya stood back up and followed his father.

He had a distinct feeling he was being watched. He turned, and there was nothing there. He looked back toward his father, and followed his sure and calculated steps. They made their way over a log bridge and into another part of the woods.

The road twisted and turned. As they made their way through the woods, he could hear rustling through the bushes, and saw several animals dart around them. Probably wondering why humans would even go through this place. As they reached a clearing, he swore he saw a wolf looking right at him. Heejun grabbed his son’s wrist and led him directly through it.

Down the hill, he could see a breathtaking town. The outside was beautiful. As he walked through the field, he could see the small city. There was a church bell tower sticking up, the bell tolling as it signaled its flock that service was to begin. He could see humans walking and milling about in the streets. Large buildings took up the middle of the city, while stores and markets made up the surrounding area, and branching out were the houses.

Heejun and Hoya made their way into town. Hoya shielded his eyes to the sunlight. It was so bright outside. It was quite blinding, actually. He held onto his father’s arm as they made their way through the crowded streets.

They came upon a shop, and went behind it. They climbed the stairs, and Heejun pulled a key out of his pocket.

As the door swung open, Hoya saw two men sitting at a small table. One had short dark hair, and the other had bright red hair trailing down his shoulders. Their eyes widened.

“Heejun? Is that really you?” Apparently, it had been a while.

*****

While Heejun and his uncle Kangta talked in the kitchen, Hoya and Taemin sat in the living room. Hoya felt somewhat uncomfortable as Taemin kept examining him.

“What are you looking at?” he finally piped up. Taemin was taken aback.

“Oh, I’m sorry. You look like someone I know.” He explained. Hoya nodded.

“Ah, I see.” He went back to looking at his lap. Heejun walked over to him, after what seemed like hours.

“Alright, Hoya, it’s time to go.” Hoya politely smiled at Taemin.

“Goodbye, Taemin.” Taemin smiled back.

“Goodbye! Why don’t you stop by more often, Heejun? We’d love to have you and Hoya back soon.” Heejun smiled.

“Perhaps. I’m quite busy right now though.” Taemin nodded.

“We understand.” Heejun and Hoya turned to leave.

Taemin looked over at Kangta, who returned his glance with a nod.

*****

As they returned to Mieda, Hoya paused at the clock. Heejun turned back.

“Hoya, aren’t you coming?” he asked. Hoya looked over at him.

“Can I stay out tonight, Dad?” he asked. “Please, it’s my birthday!” Heejun rolled his eyes.

“Alright. No later than midnight, though. You know the rules.” Hoya smiled and threw his arms around his dad.

“Thanks, Dad!” he said, and ran off to the park.

“Be careful, Hoya!”

“I will!”

What am I going to do with that boy?’ he shook his head and headed off towards their home.

*****

Hoya walked around town. Same old town. Nothing had changed in the hours that had passed since they left. If anything new had happened, it had all gone back to normal once he and his father had come back from their excursion.

Hoya’s head perked up as he heard something. He turned back towards Main Street. There it was again. He turned his head, realizing that the sound was coming from the warehouse. He shook his head.

‘Dad said it was a pig,’ he thought to himself. He turned to leave, but he just couldn’t shake the feeling that he needed to look. Hoya cautiously walked over to the warehouse, and peeked inside.

There was no one there. But then where was the noise coming from? He quietly opened the door. As he closed it behind him, he heard the pounding again. There was a growling noise that followed.

‘Maybe Dad was right,’ he thought to himself. But as he turned to run out, he heard a pitiful whining. He turned and ran towards the sound before he could change his mind.

What he saw before him surprised him so much that he slipped and fell, his jaw agape.

There, stood a man in his undergarments. He was drenched in sweat, with his ankles and one arm chained to a wooden support beam. He looked over at Hoya and growled.

Hoya crawled backwards, unable to take his eyes off the man. The man leaned forward, trying to get a better look at Hoya.

“Who are you?” he asked in a deep commanding voice. Hoya’s heart pounded in his chest. “Do you speak?” the man asked. Hoya nodded. “Then, who are you?” he asked again.

“H-Hoya. My name is Hoya.” The man straightened up.

“Hoya.” The man examined him before speaking again. “Help me.” He commanded.

“Excuse me?” Hoya was not used to being ordered to do anything, and didn’t take kindly to anyone trying to do so.

“Help me. Before they come back.” The man looked around. Hoya crossed his arms.

“How do I know you’re not some sort of dangerous criminal?” he asked. The man just looked at him, and jiggled his chains.

“Well, you could have been put there for a very good reason.” The man rolled his eyes.

“For what?” he asked exasperatedly. “All I did was walk out of the woods. I was taken in chains and thrown into a box. Next thing I knew, I was being chained here. They plan to kill me.”

“So why haven’t you tried calling for help?” asked Hoya. The man slapped his own face in frustration.

“Hello, do you see how desolate this town is? Besides, who can hear me through these walls, I touched them earlier, they’re very thick.” He cocked his head. “How did you hear me?”

Hoya shrugged. “I’ve always had good hearing.” He shook his head. “But anyway, how am I supposed to believe you?” he asked. The man shook his head.

“Uuugh! You are so stubborn!” the man shook his chains. “Look, if you let me out, I’ll give you anything you want,” the man thought a moment. “Okay, scratch that, I don’t have money. But I’ll help you, do anything, within my own power and reason, I’m desperate not crazy.”

Hoya giggled. “Well, there go my hopes of a million dollars and world domination.”

“Please.” The man begged. Hoya’s expression softened. He looked around.

“Where’s the key?” he asked. The man looked around. He nodded.

“Over there.” Hoya followed his gaze. It was hanging on a nail at the top of a beam.

“I can’t reach that!” he exclaimed. He looked back at the man, who was looking at him with pleading eyes. Hoya sighed.

He went over to the beam and found a towel. He wrapped the towel around the beam and began to shimmy upwards. He struggled as he switched the towel to one hand and reached for the key. He managed to touch it several times, and then lurched forward, tossing the key to the ground, and fell off the beam in the process.

The man winced as Hoya groaned on the floor. “Are you alright, Hoya?” he asked. Hoya looked over at him, scowling.

“I just fell off a support beam; do you really think I’m alright?” The man shrugged sheepishly.

“Sorry.” Hoya sighed, grabbing the key and limping over to him. He looked up.

“I can’t reach your hand,” he said, pointing upward. It was a good two feet above the man’s head. He turned to him and grasped Hoya with his free hand. “Whoa, what are you doing?” he asked, as the man lifted his leg and pushed Hoya against the beam.

“Helping you reach,” he said, gently pushing Hoya up the beam towards his other hand. Hoya reached over and put the key into the cuff, twisting it. The man pulled his hand free as the cuff opened. He slowly let Hoya down onto his knee as he massaged his wrist. “Thank you.”

“I need to do your feet now,” Hoya said, holding up the key. The man nodded, holding onto Hoya and slowly lowering him to the ground. Hoya worked the key into the other two cuffs, freeing the man.

At full length, he was a whole foot taller than Hoya. His short dark hair clung to his forehead. His eyes were a piercing dark brown. “Thank you, Hoya.” He said, brushing himself off. Hoya nodded.

“Yeah it was-” he stopped. The man was heading off. “Wait!” he ran towards him. The man looked down at him,

“Yes?” Hoya put his hands on his hips.

“Well, for one, I think I deserve to know your name.” the man smiled.

“My name is Seo In. Satisfied?” Hoya shook his head.

“Not quite. You said that if I freed you, you’d do whatever I asked.” Seo In nodded.

“Yeah, I really need to shut my mouth sometimes.” He crossed his arms. “What do you want?”

“Freedom.” Seo In raised an eyebrow.

“Freedom?” he asked. He looked around. “Well, this town is pretty boring.” Hoya shook his head.

“My father has never let me leave this town until today. I saw sunlight for the first time today. I want to go back. Take me with you.” Seo In sighed.

“Look, I don’t know if you’ll be safe where I’m going.” He said. Hoya pressed on.

“Where?” he asked.

“The woods.”

“I’ll be fine; we went through there on our way to the town. Take me with you, please.” Seo In sighed. The boy was persistent.

“Fine.” He grabbed Hoya by his wrist and pulled him outside. He looked around, making sure that no one was coming. He pulled him out of the warehouse and crouched down.

“What are you doing?” asked Hoya. Seo In turned to him.

“Get onto my back and hold on tight.” Hoya just looked at him.

“Why?” he asked.

“Because once I start running, I don’t look back.” Hoya looked back on Mieda one last time before he wrapped his arms around Seo In’s broad shoulders and wrapped his legs around his waist. “Ready?” he asked.

“As I’ll ever be.” Hoya replied. Seo In stood up, and began to run.

Faster and faster until everything was a blur. Hoya kept his head down as Seo In gained more speed, heading over into the woods. With a leap, they entered. Hoya felt a tingling sensation as they passed through the trees and ran onward.

He was free.

END OF CHAPTER 2