Chapter 4: The Secrets That Lie Within

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

Seo In charged into the tent, and flew onto his knees. Hoya’s eyes widened. He was pale. His condition seemed to have gotten worse.

“Seo In!” Onew and Key dragged him onto the pile of furs in the corner. Minho rushed over to him, taking his pulse. Hoya scooted over by him, and put his hand on his neck.

“What are you-” Minho was about to remove his hand, when he felt Seo In’s pulse relax. Minho looked over at Hoya, and back at Seo In. He lowered his hand and backed away.

He stood up and went over to Onew and Key. “Go get Kris, hurry.” Onew and Key nodded before heading off.

*****

Kris was teaching class when Onew and Key rushed into the clearing. He stopped and looked at his pupils. “Keep going. You’re all doing a great job.” He walked over to them. “What are you guys doing here?” he asked, shooting them a queer look.

“Minho has called for you.” Onew panted.

“Whatever for?” he asked.

“It’s Hoya. We think we found him.” Kris’s eyes widened. He turned but was quickly pulled back. “No, just you. We can’t risk it if it’s not him.” He nodded.

“Alright. Let’s hurry.”

*****

Kris and the others rushed over to the hut. They were stopped by Minho.

“What’s wrong?” asked Kris, impatiently looking over his shoulder.

“Seo In. He had another fit again.” Kris looked back at the other two.

“And the boy?” Minho peeked back in the tent.

“I’ve never seen him recover so quickly.” He waved Kris over. He peeked in. Seo In was sitting up, the boy’s hand on his neck. The boy tried pulling away, but Seo In jerked him back. The boy turned away, scowling. Seo In slapped him upside the head.

“I heard that!” the boy’s mouth dropped.

“I didn’t say anything!”

“You just called me a jerk! I heard you!” the boy scoffed. Kris’s eyes widened as he turned back to Minho.

“Well?” asked Minho. “What do you make of it?” he asked.

“Of the boy, or Seo In’s recovery?” he asked. Minho shook his head.

“Both. Either. It doesn’t matter. I’m just so confused, I needed a second opinion.” Kris looked back at him.

“What did the boy say?” he asked.

“That Heejun was his father, and that he’s been living in Mieda.”

“Mieda? The twilight town?” he asked. Minho nodded. Kris looked back. “So, as far as we know, he’s never transformed?” Minho shook his head.

“Then we must keep him here. If he transforms, then it’s him. If not, then we keep quiet.”

“What about Seo In?” asked Key. Kris scratched his head.

“Well, what happened?” he asked.

“He collapsed in the tent. As I was getting his pulse, Hoya put his hand on his neck. He stabilized right away.” Minho shook his head. Kris looked back.

“I’ll be damned if that’s not Kyungsoo and Kai’s son,” he breathed, looking back in. Hoya’s face was resting upon his hand, while his other hand rested on Seo In’s neck. Seo In’s eyes were closed; his chest rose and fell gently, quietly sleeping. He looked back at Minho.

“Has Seo In mentioned anything about his visions?” he asked. Minho shook his head.

“He hasn’t, not that he would have had time before he collapsed.” Kris nodded.

“If Hoya can travel with him, then I think we’ve found his Healer.” Key looked from Onew to Minho to Kris.

“Does that mean…?” Kris nodded.

“If he can travel with him, not only is that our Hoya, but he’s also our Hope.” He looked back at them.

*****

Heejun was on his knees before the Undertaker. He was not pleased. He looked out from beneath his hood.

“You first failed to bring me the Pure Soul, and now, I feel the Seeker. He’s growing stronger, and I fear that he’s found his Healer. If he gains control of his powers, there is no hope of me ever surfacing.”

“I apologize, my Lord.” The Undertaker his hand rest.

“You’ve been apologizing a lot lately, Heejun. By the way, how is your son?” he asked. Heejun looked up at him.

“He’s just turned sixteen, my Lord.”

“Ah, I see.” The Undertaker shooed him away. As the door closed, He called forth his most loyal servant. “Do you have any idea where they may be?” he asked him.

The man smirked. “Most High,” he replied, taking to one knee. “I have been searching for them for years. If it is true that The Seeker has found his Healer, then the Pure Soul cannot be far behind.” The Undertaker scratched his chin.

“I ask you again, where are they?” Tony looked up.

“The woods, my Lord. And they aren’t far from each other.” The Undertaker smiled.

“Excellent.” He rose from his throne. “You have done well, Tony. Much better than that poor excuse, Heejun.” He rested his hand upon his shoulder. Tony smiled.

*****

Hoya looked over at Seo In. He was so peaceful. He tried pulling his hand away, but was pulled back with such force, that his face landed on Seo In’s torso. He hurriedly got up and turned away.

He attempted to pull away again, and was thrown to the ground. Seo In clasped his hand to his neck. “Stop it!” he whispered, his eyes heavy.

“Will you let go of me, already? My arm fell asleep two hours ago!” Seo In shook his head.

“I did not ask you to keep me prisoner, I asked you to lead me to the town,” Seo In put his finger to his lips.

“Not now, I’m trying to sleep.” He rested his head next to Hoya’s. Hoya rolled his eyes.

“This is really WEIRD!”

“Get over it~.” Seo In mocked in a sing-song voice. Hoya sighed in frustration. He was stuck here. Beneath a jerk that wouldn’t let him go, and to boot, was pretty sure could read his thoughts.

Jerk.’ Seo In kicked him in his calf.

“Stop calling me names.” Hoya punched him in the shoulder.

“Stop lying on top of me, then!” but Seo In couldn’t hear him. He was already asleep. Hoya’s eyes felt heavy too. He leaned his head back and closed them. He was sinking into the dark abyss, the only thing he could hear was Seo In’s breathing, the beating of their two hearts.

*****

Hoya sat up. He was back in the field. But rather than panic, he calmly rose and went to find Seo In. He was over by the water fall. Hoya sat next to him.

“Seo In, what is this place?” he asked. Seo In looked over and sighed.

“The Farplane. Only Seekers may go here, from what I’ve been told.” He looked back over at him. “I come here in sleep. As many times as I’ve fallen asleep next to my parents, neither of them has ever been drawn in. Which is why I’m so confused, as to why you’re here.” Hoya shrugged.

“You’re guess is as good as mine.” He looked down at his toes, digging them into the soft grass. “There’s something that I don’t understand,” he waved his hand to the air. “Besides all this.” He turned to Seo In.

“Why do you make me stay?” he asked. “Why do I have to touch you?” Seo In gingerly touched his neck in the same place Hoya had. He looked over.

“You, you make me feel better. I’m always tired, and when I recover, it takes days, possibly weeks. But you,” he paused and shook his head. “You make me feel…whole. Like, I’m all better. I don’t understand it myself.” He turned to Hoya, who was blushing. Seo In too began to blush. “But that doesn’t mean I like you.” He added hastily. Hoya rolled his eyes.

Way to ruin the moment, Romeo.’ Hoya thought.

“What moment?” Seo In asked. Hoya shoved Seo In over and began punching him.

“STOP READINGMY THOUGHTS!”

Seo In stopped a punch and looked over. The door of light appeared. Seo In grabbed Hoya as they began to run. Seo In reached out his hand, and a bright light engulfed them as they passed through.

*****

Hoya gasped as he shot up and threw Seo In to the side as he awoke from the vision. He looked back. Seo In silently blinked away the sleep. Hoya quickly retracted his hand from his neck, and put it in his lap. Seo In rolled his eyes.

“It’s not like I’m going to molest your hand, y’know.” Hoya slapped him in the arm.

“Well, it’s my hand, so keep off!” Seo In threw up his hands and shook his head.

“Whatever, weirdo.” Both jumped as Kris, Minho, Onew and Key entered the tent. Kris came forward.

“Hoya,” he said, coming face to face with him. “Do you remember me?” he asked. Hoya shook his head.

“No, I don’t remember you, or anyone from here. I didn’t even know you existed until today. What’s going on?” he turned to Seo In. “What are they talking about?” he asked. Seo In shook his head.

“Your guess is as good as mine.” He replied, looking from Hoya to the others. Kris sighed.

“Hoya, I need to know something,” he said. Hoya nodded. “Have you been able to see inside Seo In’s visions?” Hoya’s eyes widened.

“WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP READING MY MIND????” Hoya ran behind Seo In clutching his head. “STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!” Kris laughed.

“Just like his mother.” Hoya stopped and turned to him.

“My…mom?” he asked. Kris nodded.

“Yes, you act just like Kyungsoo.” Hoya cocked his head.

“My father said my mother left me when I was a baby.” He said. Kris shook his head.

“No, no, that’s not true at all. Your mom and dad love you very much. They would never abandon you. They’ve been looking for you all this time.” Hoya shook his head.

“What do you mean my dad? I told you guys already, he raised me.” Kris shook his head.

“I’ll tell you when we get there, but I’m going to take you home. You’re going to meet your real family.” He said, holding out his hand. Hoya reluctantly took it.

What am I getting myself into now?’ Hoya asked himself.

*****

Kris led them through the woods and over a fallen log over the river. Hoya could see other men and boys his age running around. He led them into a similar clearing. There, three people were standing at a rock.

One had fierce eyes, another had braids running down his shoulders, and the other was small with tawny brown hair, just like his. Kris took him by the arm and brought him forward.

The man with braids scowled at him. He didn’t seem impressed at all. The fierce one cocked his head in curiosity. The one with brown hair came forward, and gently touched his face.

“Hoya,” He cupped his face in his hands. “My baby,” he brought his forehead to his own. Hoya didn’t know how to respond. This person obviously thought he was their child.

“Um…hi.” Kyungsoo smiled at him.

“It’s alright, honey. I know you probably don’t remember me; you were a baby when you were taken. But we’re together now, and that’s all that matters now.” Kyungsoo pulled him into his arms and embraced him. Hoya gingerly returned the hug.

Hoya turned to see Kris whispering in the braided man’s ear. He came over and tapped Kyungsoo on the shoulder. He turned while he whispered in his ear. Kyungsoo ruffled Hoya’s hair. “I’ll be right back. You stay here with Seo In and the others.” Kyungsoo turned to leave with Kai and Kris. Hoya made to follow, but thought better of it.

He turned around to see Seo In, talking with other boys who seemed to be around the same age as Hoya. He suddenly was swept over with an overwhelming feeling of jealousy.

But, I don’t like him like that,’ he thought to himself. Then he blushed, and turned to Seo In. His facial expression didn’t falter. Perhaps he didn’t hear him? He figured he’d better not think aloud, even within his own psyche from now on.

*****

“So, what are you saying?” asked Kyungsoo, as they sat in a circle in Kris’s cave. He had called them in there for an urgent meeting.

“What I’m saying is, there is a strong possibility that he can interact with Seo In telepathically, and enter his visions. If he can do that, he’s our Hope.” Kyungsoo looked over at Kai. Kai sighed.

“To be honest,” he said, “I’m still not quite sure it’s him.” Kyungsoo shot Kai a look. He put his hands up. “Hear me out,” he said. “It’s been 16 years. I know you’ve been worried about him all this time, I have too,” he explained to Kyungsoo. “But I’m not going to jump at the first person to call themselves Hoya.”

“But Kai, he’s Seo In’s Healer,” Kyungsoo pressed. Kai shook his head.

“That doesn’t mean anything,” he shot back.

“Kai, only our kind, wolves and Lycans have the power to do such things. Even if it is very rare, that is our power and our power alone.” Kris explained. Kai folded his arms.

“I won’t believe it’s him until I see him turn with my own eyes.” He stated bluntly. And that was the end of that. Kai had made up his mind, and there was no convincing him otherwise.

“Where did you find him, Kris?” asked Kyungsoo. Kris took a deep breath.

“I didn’t. Seo In brought him to his people. Minho told me.”

“And how did you know, Minho?” asked Kyungsoo. Kai looked over at him.

“He said his name was Hoya, and when I mentioned how much he looked like his father, he asked me how I knew Heejun.” Kai’s eyes grew wide. Kyungsoo’s hands shot up to his mouth in surprise.

“Heejun? He’s still here?” asked Kai. Minho nodded.

“In Mieda.”

“That twilight town?” asked Kyungsoo. Minho nodded. Kyungsoo punched Kai in his arm.

“I told you I could hear him.” His eyes welled up with tears. “I told you.”

“Kyungsoo-” but it wasn’t going to help. Kyungsoo had turned away from him with his arms crossed. He too could be stubborn when he wanted. Kai sighed.

“Like I said, I won’t believe it until he turns.”

*****

Hoya stood over by a tree while Seo In conversed with the wolf boys. He bit his lip, not saying anything. ‘Don’t think about anything, Hoya, it’ll just get his attention, that’s not what you want.’ He thought to himself. Or was it? Was he jealous because Seo In was talking to other boys? Or because he wasn’t included? He just sat there shuffling his foot in the dirt.

Seo In looked back at Hoya. He was sitting there by a tree alone. For someone who just met his family, he didn’t seem too excited. Seo In walked over to him and grabbed him by his arm.

“Hey! Let go!” Hoya protested. “What are you doing?” he asked. Seo In looked back at him.

“Come. If you are Leader Kai’s son, then you must meet your brothers.” He said. Hoya rolled his eyes, and reluctantly went with him. He led him to a group of six boys. One of them turned and smiled.

“Hey, it’s Seo In!” he waved.

“Hey Seo In!” the other boys called out. Seo In brought Hoya around and sat him in front of them.

“This is Hoya.” He said. The other boys looked at him. One came forward and examined him. Smiling, he said,

“Hi, I’m Sunggyu.” Hoya shyly waved. Sunggyu put his hand up. “Here,” he took Hoya’s hand and put it against his. For a split second, he felt another heartbeat in his chest. Sunggyu smiled, turning to the others and beckoning them forward. “This is our little brother, Hoya.” He said. The others smiled.

A small boy with bright teeth jumped on Hoya. “Brother!” he cried, wrapping his arms around him. The other boys followed suit. Hoya found it awkward that he was trapped in a family hug. But it was oddly satisfying, knowing that he wasn’t alone anymore. But something panged him. Something in the deep recesses of his mind.

*****

After a while, Seo In dragged him off once more, this time, away from the clearing.

“Seo In, what are you doing?” he asked, looking about.

“Bringing you to my secret place.” He said. Hoya blushed.

“Secret place? What for?” he asked. Seo In looked back at him.

“For some reason, we are connected, you and I. Therefore, you should see my secret place.” He shrugged. “It only makes sense.”

He brought him through the woods and to a lake. As they walked past the lake, he could see the edge of a mountain in the distance. Seo In held tight onto his hand, as if he were afraid that Hoya would run.

He let go of his hand long enough to roll the boulder out of the way that was blocking the path. He dragged Hoya in the mouth of the cavern, into the dark abyss.

*****

In the back of the cave, there was a large pile of crystal. Seo In took a shattered shard, and propped it just so against the others. The moonlight that leaked in played off the crystal, spreading lights throughout the cave.

“Whoa,” Hoya breathed in awe. Seo In smiled.

“Isn’t it beautiful?” he asked. Hoya nodded.

“Yeah, it is.” Hoya looked down. Seo In saw that he looked upset.

“Hoya, what’s wrong?” he asked.

“Oh, nothing. It’s just that when I woke up yesterday morning, I didn’t expect that I would be in the woods with people who run around in the , call themselves ‘wolves’ and ‘Lycans,’ and some of which claim to be my birth family. And to top it all off, you still haven’t fulfilled your promise.” He crossed his arms. Seo In sighed.

“What? What do you want from me, Hoya?” he asked.

“I wanted freedom. But now, I’m stuck here with you.” It came out too fast. But it was too late to take it back now.

“Oh, really?” he asked. “I didn’t force you to come into the warehouse; you did that on your own. You asked me to bring you with me. You asked me. And it’s not like I want you here, I have to have you here.” Hoya scoffed.

“To what? Use me? Bring me into your freaky- dreamland? Read my mind?” he shot up. “No thank you.” He turned to leave, but Seo In was quicker.

“You’re just going to abandon your family like that? They’ve been looking for you for years.” Hoya shook him off.

“Or they’re just crazy nudists that live in the forest. Either way, I’m not staying here another minute.” Seo In grabbed him by the arm.

“Hoya, stop.” Hoya ripped himself away from him.

“I’m starting to regret going to that warehouse.” This shot Seo In straight in the heart.

“Hoya,” Seo In came forward. Hoya began to run, but Seo In was faster. Hoya tripped in surprise. He was a lot faster than he remembered. Seo In’s face was contorted in anger.

“You think I want you here?” he asked. “I don’t. I need you. I hate it, but this is what’s going to happen. You’re going to stay here with me, and you’re going to be with your family. I don’t care if I have to keep you here myself.” Hoya’s eyes widened. In the mouth of the cave a shape began to contort as the sun rose. He froze in fear. Seo In looked back.

END OF CHAPTER 4