Chapter 19: A Look Into His Soul

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

Hoya sat up with a jolt, and a pounding migraine. Minho looked at him, a little worried. Seo In was frowning.

“What went wrong?” he asked bluntly. Hoya shook his head. “Seo In’s being stubborn. I’ll just come back tomorrow; he needs time to cool off.” Minho nodded.

“Wait.” He turned back to Minho. He was holding the diary.

“He, he was…” Minho took a deep breath. “He was our leader, and your…father, of sorts. Would you like to know, what it says in here?

“I have to know eventually, don’t I?” Minho nodded. He sat next to Minho with the book open.

*****

I can’t go back to my childhood. I don’t remember much of it. But back when I was a little younger than you, I met my best friend, Kangta. He introduced me to the love of my life, Tony, and his other friends, Woohyuk and Jaewon.

We were very close. At the time, my father was leader of the pack. He led with the utmost grace and strength. Everyone respected him, even rival Lycan clans and wolf packs alike.

In the winter of my 18th year, I was still being trained to take his place in my 21st year. My father and I were out patrolling the territory. There was a resounding ‘crack’ in the distance. He told me to run back to the village and tell everyone to take cover.

As I ran, I heard more footsteps, I looked back once to see my father, standing tall and ready to defend us of any danger.

I called out for everyone, just as he had asked. I ran through the village twice, calling for them to hide before I fled back to my father.

As I approached the clearing, I saw a gruesome scene play out before my eyes. There were hunters, skinning my father alive. He cried out and howled in pain. It was more than I could bear. I ran at them, taking one of their necks in my jaw, and bit down.

I tasted blood in my mouth as it ran down my fur. The other had come over to attack, but my father cut one down with a snap of his jaws. The man’s ankle bled profusely.

The other raised a spear to me, and my father, even in his weakened state, lunged at him, ripping a good portion of skin out of his shoulder. The ones that could, retreated.

However, the one I had injured, lie motionless on the ground, still bleeding.

“I, I didn’t mean to…” My father stopped me.

“You did what you had to do to protect your family. That’s what a leader is supposed to do.” He took a sharp breath, crumbling to his knees.

“I’ll go get the others.” I said.

“It won’t matter, my son.” He said, his eyes full of sadness. “I can’t lead in this condition. He looked back at his skin, much of it was hanging off his belly and side.

“I’m still going to try. It won’t hurt to try.” I ran off.

Soon, I brought Tony, who was practicing medicine with one of the elders. They brought him on their backs back to the village.

“He’ll be easier to heal once he turns human.” The elder said. He turned to my father. “Can you do it?”

“I’ll…try.” As my father began to change, I finally saw the extent of his injuries that his Lycan form had hidden from sight. It took everything in me not to cry out or vomit.

Tony took my hand and led me out of the tent. “It’s going to be alright, Our elders will take care of him. He’s going to be fine.” I shook my head.

“No, you didn’t see what I saw. He can’t lead us. Not after that.” Tony’s face fell.

“What are you saying?” he asked. I sighed and looked over at him.

“I have to take his place.” Tony shook his head.

“You can’t! They wouldn’t, you’re only 18! You have to be 21, that’s the rules.” I sighed.

“There isn’t a way around it. Not this time.”

*****

“Wait, Lycans have an age limit for being an alpha?” Hoya asked. Minho nodded.

“We are fully developed at 21. Once at that age, we are given a task set out by our leader. Once given the task, that is our task for life. I studied medicine, therefore I was chosen as shaman.” Hoya nodded.

“He was leader so young.”

“Yes, he was.” Hoya looked back up at Minho.

“Is he as bad as my parents think him to be?” Minho shrugged.

“That depends on your experience with him. You and I saw the kind Heejun. Your parents however, did not.” Minho sighed.

“Would you like me to read more?” Hoya nodded. “Yes please.”

“Well then, sit back. It seems our quiet leader had a lot to say.”

END OF CHAPTER 19