~Prologue~

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

Heejun kneeled at the feet of the Undertaker. Before him, the babe lie on the ground, swaddled in a woolen blanket. “You have brought this thing, instead of the Pure Soul? Why? What is the meaning of this?” he asked, sweeping from upon his throne and down upon him, surveying the small child.

                “How long have you had it?” he asked.

                “Two weeks. It was a puppy.” He lifted the bundle, and grimaced.

                “What is the use of this?” he asked.

                “I figured I would draw him out himself. I don’t have enough power to take on an entire clan, and now, they are allies with the Lycans.” The undertaker tossed the baby towards Heejun, who luckily caught him.

                “Do with it what you will, but in the end, I will have the Pure Soul.” He turned away. “Get that thing out of my sight. I don’t care what you do with it; just keep it out of my sight.” He waved him away.

                Heejun picked up the baby and exited the throne room. He made his way through the dark passageways. It was a lucky break. He could have killed him, or the baby. Then what leverage would he have against the wolf? He looked down at the baby.

                Kyungsoo had called him Hoya. Hoya. A fitting name. He held the baby boy close. He smiled and cooed as Heejun swept his hair to the side. “I’m your father now, little Hoya. It’s just you and me.” He held the child close as he darted through the corridors and through the tunnel that led into the cave that masked the castle.

                Heejun looked around for an exit. Over to the left was the grove of trees from where he came. He ran through the grove, dodging low hanging branches as he passed. As he made his way into the clearing, Hoya began to cry. Heejun held him closer, softly shushing him as he made his way out of the woods, briefly lifting the barrier to the other side of town.

                To the north sat Delfia, to the south, a small village. He headed west, where he knew of a desolate town where no one would think to search for them. As he darted off, Hoya’s cries pierced the night.

*****

                Kyungsoo shot up. His eyes were red. He ran out of the clearing, towards the river. Kai ran after him.

                “Kyungsoo, what are you doing?” he cried, grabbing for his arm.

                “Don’t you hear it?” he turned towards Kai, his eyes b with tears. “Can’t you hear him? I heard him! I hear Hoya! He’s crying, Kai. I can hear him crying! My baby! Our son! I heard him!” he grabbed onto Kai’s shoulders, tears streaming down his face. Kai held him close.

                “Kyungsoo, calm down. Calm down. There isn’t anything, I can’t hear anything.” He smoothed his hair and wiped his tears. “I know you miss him, but it’s been two weeks. We’ve searched everywhere, honey. We can’t find him. Heejun could be completely gone by now. The Lycans can’t even find him.”

                “But Kai, I know I heard him. I heard him.” He sobbed into Kai’s chest. Kai held him tight. Losing Hoya took a toll on Kyungsoo. As it would any parent, but Kyungsoo had been hearing him for several nights now. He wondered if he was suffering from more than a broken heart.

                “Everything will be alright. Trust me.” But he didn’t know how true that was himself.