Chapter 15: Divided

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

Hoya lie awake that morning. He wasn’t tired. How could he be? If he had indeed been asleep for two days, he could believe it. He stared unblinkingly at the ceiling of their cave. He heard every shift, every breath, and every whisper. It annoyed him.

He rolled over, moving Dongwoo’s leg. He rested his chin on his front paws. ‘Seo In, are you thinking of me?’ he wondered.

He looked back, and made sure that everyone was sleeping. He trotted out of the cave, giving one last look before he scampered off.

Once away from the clearing, he crunched twigs beneath his paws as he ran. He didn’t know if it would be okay to run off to the Lycan village. Minho and the others might send him back. So, he sat there, in the woods, not knowing exactly what to do.

He turned his head, hearing someone come up from behind. He shook his head, almost whimpering in relief. It was Onew. He looked around.

“Snuck off, have you?” he asked. Hoya looked down, somewhat ashamed of himself. Onew just flashed him a kind smile. “It’s alright. To be honest, Minho was kinda wondering about you. Seo In seemed to be reaching for something earlier. He thought, maybe, he was reaching for you.”

Hoya looked down at himself. He was a wolf, how would he- Onew cut him off mid thought, as if he were reading his mind.

“Don’t worry about it. I’m sure we’ll figure that out.” He motioned for him to follow. “Come on.” Hoya followed him, looking about. It seemed too good to be true. Onew looked back and forth as he entered the clearing.

It was pretty empty, save for Leo, Key, Minho and themselves. Minho gasped as he saw them. “Onew! You’ll get us in to trouble with the wolves!” he exclaimed quietly. “If Siwon sees him, he’ll tell us we’ll have to return him! Why would you take him? It’s dangerous-” Onew held up his hand to stop him.

“I didn’t kidnap him; he was out walking near our territory. It didn’t look like he was trying to sneak in here either,” he said, shooting a look at Key. “He was just sitting there, and since I remembered what you said, I figured that maybe, he could talk to Seo In again.” Minho looked at Key.

“This has ‘bad idea’ written all over it.” Key stated defiantly. Minho sighed. He looked over at Key.

“What if he wakes up?” Key looked from Minho to Hoya, and then to Onew. He sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Fine! But I didn’t see anything!” he said, stomping off. Minho and Onew ushered Hoya into the tent. Minho helped him try to adjust.

“Here, Seo In. Hoya’s here.” He whispered. Hoya felt Seo In’s hand on his front legs. Seo In smiled, and Hoya was hurled into a swirling vortex of darkness.

*****

Hoya lifted his head. He didn’t feel so dizzy this time around. He looked about, and found Seo In running towards him.

“Hoya.” Seo In threw his arms around him. Hoya hugged him back, glad to see him again. “I was worried that you wouldn’t make it today!” he said. Hoya smiled.

“Me too.” Seo In kissed him, and Hoya didn’t even draw back this time around. “How is everything here?” he asked, taking a hold of Seo In’s hand.

Seo In sighed. “Well, he’s being as difficult as ever. He’s acting like a child, really.” He grimaced.

“What is it?” Hoya asked.

“He keeps trying to eat the fruit. If he eats it, I can’t send him across the river. If I can’t do that, I’ll have to kill him.” He turned to Hoya. “I hate this. I’m stuck here with a man-child, and everyone else is moving on.” Hoya shook his head.

“No, Seo In. We’re all rooting for you. Minho and myself especially.” Seo In smiled. “How’s dad?” he asked. Hoya shrugged.

“He’s okay. He didn’t say anything when I gave him that flower and talked to him. He seemed sort of, well stunned.” He looked up at him. Seo In seemed disappointed.

“Ah. Well, I’d be in shock too, if someone talked to me whom I hadn’t seen move in months.” He shook his head, and smiled at Hoya. “But, let’s not dwell on that now,” he said, grabbing his hands. “Come with me.” He said, pulling him along.

He took him down the field towards the river bank, and they followed it for a while. Hoya looked around. He wanted to comment on the beauty of it, but something else came to mind.

“Seo In,” he asked. “How did the Undertaker change himself?” Seo In shrugged.

“I don’t know. It’s not from eating anything, that’ll just make it so that you can’t move on from here. I haven’t seen any creatures around here. Though, I’ve never really left this spot, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he found something I haven’t.” Hoya shrugged.

“Maybe you should go exploring some time then? He asked. Seo In shook his head. “It might get you the answer on how to get him to leave.” Seo In stopped and sighed.

“I suppose. But for right now, come on!” he ran through the grove of fruit trees they had encountered when first arriving together to the Farplane. Past the grove, they ended up in front of a dark forest entrance.

“What is this place?” asked Hoya.

“I don’t know. It kinda reminds me of Macalania though.” He said. Hoya smiled.

“Um, okay.”

“Come on, Hoya, let’s go!” Seo In pulled him in, and the forest swallowed them up.

*****

Inside the wood, it was beautiful. Just as beautiful as Macalania. A shining path led the way through the closely knit trees. The bark looked purple in the dim moonlight. The leaves were a soft cream color, and floated down softly in the breeze.

“This is beautiful, Seo In.” Hoya said, holding tightly to his hand.

“I knew you’d like it.” He brought him over to a fallen tree, which they used as a seat.

“When did you find this?” he asked.

“I didn’t, the Undertaker did. I try to keep a close eye on him, which naturally annoyed him, like anyone I assume. So, I saw him flee into here one day. He’s fled further than this, but I heard weird noises, so I didn’t dare go after him.”

“Was this before or after his change?” asked Hoya.

“After. Please. The Undertaker run? In the state he was in? One good trip and he’d shatter.” They both laughed.

Hoya felt a tugging sensation. He turned to Seo In. “I gotta go.” Seo In frowned.

“Already? You just got here!” Hoya hugged him.

“I’m sorry, Seo In. But I have to. It’s day time. I have to get back before they know I’m gone. I’m not even supposed to be here right now.” Seo In was shocked.

“Why?” he asked.

“Well, apparently, the last time I was here, I was here for two days!” he explained. Seo In shook his head.

“Whoa,” Seo In rubbed the back of his neck and bit his lip, feeling sheepish.

“Yeah,” Hoya stood up. “I’m sorry, Seo In, but I need to go home.” Seo In kissed Hoya’s forehead.

“How long?” he asked.

“I don’t know. But I’ll try to come back to you as often as possible.”

“Promise?” Hoya nodded.

“I promise.”

“I love you, Hoya.” He said, gently his face. Hoya took his hand and held it.

“I love you too, Seo In. But I need to go back.” Seo In nodded.

“Alright.” He closed his eyes, holding Hoya for as long as he could.

The door of light appeared. Hoya looked up at him. “Don’t worry. I’ll come back to you.” Seo In sadly looked down at him.

“I know.” Hoya turned and headed for the door. He looked back one more time. Seo In’s eyes pleaded for him to stay, but he knew where he had to go.

“I’m sorry, Seo In. I have to.” And with that, he left.

*****

Hoya shot up. Onew sighed with relief. Minho practically threw himself on the floor. Hoya scratched behind his ears.

“Thank goodness! You actually woke up this time!” Onew exclaimed. “Come on, before they notice.” Minho waved to him and Hoya gave him a nod.

Onew led him out of the tent, and sneaked past Leetuk. With that, he ran with Hoya through the woods until they reached the bridge.

Hoya’s heart stopped as he heard howling. Onew furrowed his eyebrows.

“Damn, they know.” He looked around. “Ah! I have an idea!” he waved him over to the right, away from the approaching wolves. They ran a good distance down the river bank, before,

SPLOOSH! Onew shoved Hoya into the river, and jumped in after him.

Hoya whined and howled. He could hear splashing and barking as the others came after him.

“I told you not to jump in! I told you it was too cold, but did you listen to me? No.”

Hey!’ Hoya was about to bark at him for something else, but realized what was happening before it left his muzzle.

Hoya!’ he heard his mother calling to him. He ran forward, and was met by a rather wet and frazzled Kyungsoo.

What were you doing out here? You could have been hurt!’ he nuzzled him over and over. Hoya shook him off.

I’m fine Mom, I was with Onew,’ he looked back to see Onew splashing Tao, who was nipping at his ankles. Kyungsoo shook his head.

Well, tell me before you run off again. You had us so worried, Hoya.’ Hoya nodded.

I will.’ Kai, who had lagged behind, only needed to catch a glimpse of Hoya before he called them back to their territory.

The others headed off, but Hoya lingered for a moment, looking back at Onew.

Onew nodded in acknowledgment, and waved goodbye.

*****

 Hoya kicked at the ground. He wanted to go visit Seo In, but he felt he needed some time away from him. Hoya sighed as he sat near the river. He decided he would go to the Lycan village.

He made his way up the ravine, and onto the log. As he entered the territory, he avoided eye contact with everyone. All but one person.

“Taemin!” he waved. Taemin waved back, turning away from Onew and Key.

“Hey there, Hoya.” He patted his head.

“Can I talk to you, Taemin?” he asked. Taemin smiled sweetly at him.

“Of course you can, honey.” He turned to Key and Onew, telling them he’d be back soon. Key rolled his eyes and Onew nodded.

Taemin ushered Hoya over to his tree that he shared with Siwon. Siwon was out with Leetuk for the moment, so they were alone.

“Tell me what’s wrong, Hoya dear?” he asked. Hoya fiddled with his hands for a moment, unsure of how to start.

“I, I’m a bit conflicted, Taemin.” He said.

“Oh, and how is that?” he asked.

“I, I want to go see Seo In. I really do. I love him, and I want to be near him and talk with him. But I feel that it’s selfish, since no one else can, and, and I feel perhaps that if I leave him for some time, he’ll focus more on helping the Undertaker to the other side.” Hoya spilled out all at once.

Taemin leaned back, soaking up the information. “So, you feel as if you’re a distraction to Seo In.” Hoya nodded. Taemin pursed his lips. “I see.” He scratched his head, and readjusted his auburn locks. “Well, in the end, you have to do what you feel is right. If you don’t, you could regret it for the rest of your life.” He said. Hoya nodded. “However,” he continued. “You need to explain this to Seo In, so that he doesn’t think you’re abandoning him. May the gods help us if something should go wrong because he feels that you’ve left him.” Hoya nodded.

“I understand.” Taemin looked out of the entrance to his home.

“You should go now, rather than later. The sooner the better.” He said. Hoya bowed.

“Thank you, Taemin.” He said. Taemin nodded.

“Be safe, Hoya.” Hoya turned and smiled at him.

“I will.”

*****

Hoya cautiously approached the tent. He didn’t know how Seo In would react to his news. Nor did he know how Minho would react. He took a deep breath and entered.

Minho was sitting cross legged around a small fire when he entered. He smiled. “Well, hello there, Hoya. How are you today?” he asked.

“Okay, I guess.” Hoya answered. Minho’s face fell.

“Hoya, what’s wrong?” he asked.

“I, I have to tell you something,” he said, kneeling down to get eye level with Minho.

“What is it?” he asked, his eyes full of concern.

“I, I have to stop coming for a while. It’s not that I don’t want to,” he began to explain. “But, but rather that I think that I’m distracting Seo In from performing his duties.” Minho almost looked angry at first, but his face softened to understanding.

“Ah, I see.” He said, nodding. He looked over at Seo In. “Well, I’d get it over with, if I were you.” He said.

“Do you think he’s going to be mad at me?” he asked. Minho shrugged.

“He might. But remember, no matter what he says, he loves you very much.” Hoya nodded. He walked over and kneeled next to Seo In.

“Hey there, Seo In, I’m here!” he said. Seo In smiled. Hoya lied down next to him, and placed his hand on his neck. He closed his eyes, and was pulled into the Farplane.

*****

Hoya shook his head as he came to. As he stood up, he could see Seo In running towards him from the direction of the forest.

“Hoya!” he cried, scooping him up in a warm embrace. He gently kissed his forehead, and then his nose, and then finally down to his lips, where he rested for quite some time.

Hoya held him tight, feeling his heart beat against his own. “I missed you, Hoya.” He heard Seo In whisper. “It’s lonely without you here.” Hoya pursed his lips. This was going to be harder than he had imagined.

“Seo In,” Hoya began.

“Come on Hoya, let’s go to the forest. We can talk there.” He said, attempting to pull him along.

“No, Seo In.” he looked back. Hoya looked forlorn.

“Hoya, what’s the matter?” he asked.

“I, I need to talk to you Seo In.”  Hoya looked up at him with a pained expression plastered on his face.

“What is it?” he said, taking him by his shoulders, and looking into his eyes.

“I, Seo In, I…” how would he begin? Hoya took a deep breath, and continued. “I can’t come here anymore until I know you have things under control.” He stated bluntly. Seo In’s eyes widened.

“You, you what?” Seo In was in disbelief. Under ‘control?’ What did Hoya think he was doing?

“I need to know that you’re trying to get the Undertaker to cross over. Right now, I feel like I’m distracting you. So I won’t be coming back. For a while.” He looked down, and kept his gaze there, too ashamed to look up at him.

“Distract me?” Seo In took Hoya’s face in his hands and forced him to look him in his face. “You are the only thing keeping me sane here. It’s just me and that douchebag, here.” He said through clenched teeth. “Do you know how much I wish I could just shove him in a hole and call it a day?” he asked. “I’m not sitting here lollygagging around for my own amusement.” He said.

“I miss the outside; I miss my dad, and my friends, my family. I miss you. I miss my mom.” His eyes welled up with tears. “I don’t want to be here away from you, Hoya. I can’t stand being here. I want to go back.” He said, his hands shaking.

“I hate it here. I hate it! It’s a desolate plane, and I can’t escape. I can’t wake up until he’s gone, and its killing me inside. It’s killing me not to be with you out there. I miss you. I want you. I want to be with you. Hoya, please don’t leave me.”

“Seo In,” Hoya began to protest.

“Hoya, please, don’t leave me here all alone.” Tears streamed down his face. “I need you.”

“Seo In, I love you. But I need you to stop focusing on us, and focus on him.” Hoya’s gaze turned to the Undertaker, whom he spotted in a tree. Seo In grimaced.

“So its like that, is it?” he asked. Hoya’s face fell.

“Seo In,”

“Then go.” He said coldly, summoning the door of light.

“Seo In, I-”

“Get. Out.” Seo In turned and walked away. Tears ran down Hoya’s cheeks, and he reluctantly left.

“I love you, Seo In.” he whispered, just before he stepped past the threshold, and disappeared.

END OF CHAPTER 15