Chapter 11: Arrival Of The Pure Soul

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

Kyungsoo had barely left the clearing before he heard the all too familiar pitter patter of feet following behind. He turned around, to see Kai staring at him, just a few feet away.

There was no anger or fury, just sadness and disappointment. It panged Kyungsoo to see him this way. Kai stepped forward, grabbing onto Kyungsoo.

“I can’t let you go, not after all we’ve been through,” Kyungsoo sighed.

“Kai, stop. Don’t make this harder than it has to be-”

“Don’t make it hard at all. Just come home.”

“He has our son,”

“You don’t even know him. And for all we know, his loyalty could lie with Heejun, or even the Undertaker. I don’t want to take that chance.” Kyungsoo’s mouth fell open.

“I cannot believe what I am hearing! Heejun KIDNAPPED our infant son, and stole him away and raised him as his own. Now, the Undertaker has him, and I’m more than positive that he will indeed kill him if I don’t go.”

“Better him than you.” Kai’s knees buckled as Kyungsoo delivered a swift, hard slap to the side of his face.

“How dare you, how dare you speak about our son that way,” tears rolled down his cheeks. “That’s not who he is. That isn’t who he’s ever been. I know you’re hurt, Kai, but don’t take this out on our son.”

“You keep saying our ‘son,’ but what about our other six sons, what am I to tell them? That they’re mother sacrificed himself for a son he didn’t even know? A son that could very well be on the other side? What am I supposed to tell them, Kyungsoo?” he waited for an answer. “ANSWER ME, DAMMIT!”

“I don’t know! I don’t know, Kai.” Kyungsoo ran his fingers through his hair. He thought he had had everything figured out.

“Then just come back with me,” Kai reached out his hand. Kyungsoo shook his head. “He’ll kill our son,” he said. “I can’t let that happen.”

“DAMMIT, KYUNGSOO!” Kai turned and punched the nearest tree. The bark cracked and the trunk creaked as his knuckles crunched against the tree.

“Stop it, Kai!” Kai turned and shook Kyungsoo by his shoulders.

“I can’t sit back and watch as you sacrifice yourself to that, that monster. I can’t, and I won’t.” he drew him nearer, so that they were skin to skin. “And what if Minho is right? After he kills you, he might not be satisfied. He’ll kill us all, and then what? You’re sacrifice would have been for nothing.” Kyungsoo gently caressed Kai’s face and sadly smiled up at him with tears b in his eyes.

“That’s where you’re wrong, Kai. I have a plan. And I’m confident it will work.”  He leaned forward and gently pressed his lips to Kai’s. Kai tightened his grip on Kyungsoo’s shoulders, slowly wrapping his arms around him in a warm embrace.

Kyungsoo’s hands traveled up the length of his back, feeling the warmth of his lover, never wanting to let go.

As they separated, Kai pursed his lips, holding back the dam of tears that threatened to burst. Kyungsoo sighed, and gently caressed his face and smiled up at him one last time. “I love you, Kai.”

“I love you too, Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo stepped back, and ran as fast as he could.

*****

Kyungsoo’s chest burned as he ran faster and faster. His feet whipped the ground with the ferocity of a mother in distress, which just happened to be his predicament.

He came upon the clearing that he and Kai had first become intimate in. He traced the ground where Kai had laid him down. He touched his lips, remembering the burning passion of that night. Tears flowed down his cheeks and sank into the soil at his feet.

“I’m sorry, Kai.” He whispered. Kyungsoo’s head shot up as he heard the rustling of leaves. His heart stopped.

Kris came out of the brush, cautiously looking around. He nodded as he saw Kyungsoo standing there. He brushed himself off as he came closer.

“Kyungsoo, are you sure?” he asked, looking around. Kyungsoo nodded.

“Mother Shiva was very clear,” he said. Kris nodded.

“I know, but, what if, what if she’s wrong, and this doesn’t work?” Kyungsoo sighed, looking up at Kris.

“Then we have nothing to lose then, do we?” Kris shrugged.

“I suppose not.”

*****

Hoya sat frozen, hunched over with his arms around his legs as he had been since the night before. His eyes looked up; the Undertaker was sitting on a boulder nearby. He seemed rather calm. He was flicking leaves into the water. He looked over at Hoya and smiled.

It wasn’t an evil smile either. It was rather, demure. He positively looked ferocious, despite any change in emotion his face experienced. Hoya did his best to control the wild beating in his chest.

“Do you ever sit and wonder what your life was meant for? Why you’re here?” he asked Hoya. He returned the question with as much of a shrug as he could muster. The Undertaker nodded.

“Of course, Heejun probably didn’t expose you to any sort of negativity. It’s not his way. Did he ever tell you how he came about you, anyway?” the Undertaker made a sweeping motion with his hand, and Hoya felt his lips loosen.

“He, he told me that my mother abandoned me.” The Undertaker chuckled.

“Is that it now?” he shook his head. “Would you like to know the truth?” he asked, most innocently.

“Yes.” Hoya whispered.

“I’m sure you know by now, that Heejun isn’t your real father. If you still believe that drivel, throw all thoughts of that out of your head right now.”

“I know, sir.” Hoya responded. The Undertaker nodded.

“He stole you away from your family as your father’s back turned for only a moment. He wanted immortality, and I told him that I was the only one that could give it to him.”

“And can you?” Hoya wondered. “Could you make him immortal?” he asked. The Undertaker nodded.

“Of course, but only if I had the Pure Soul,” he turned to Hoya. “The one your mother possesses.” Hoya’s eyes widened.

“And how did kidnapping me do that?” he asked. The Undertaker shrugged.

“It didn’t. I gave him a timeline, and he failed. I assume he just took you as revenge.” He turned to Hoya. “It’s sad that children had to get involved. Besides, if he had just taken Kyungsoo from the beginning, I wouldn’t have had to wait so long.” He turned to Hoya.

“It will all end the same, however. The world will fall to its sweet destruction, and I shall stand among the ruins and marvel at the beauty of it.” Hoya lifted his eyebrow.

“You’re going to destroy everything?” he asked. The Undertaker nodded nonchalantly.

“Why?” he asked. The Undertaker laughed coldly.

“Why live when you will only die? Why build when inevitably, it will be destroyed?” he asked. “Why postpone the inevitable?” he asked.

Hoya shrugged. “You may be right, I may be just a kid, and what do I know about life? But I’ve always thought about it like this: life isn’t about the destination, it’s about the journey.” He looked up at him. “Haven’t you ever felt that way?” The Undertaker moved his hand, and closed Hoya’s mouth.

“Dear child, I don’t need to hear any of your sentimental drivel. I know what I am meant to do, and I’ll achieve it. Once the Pure Soul comes, and it will.”

Hoya shuffled, nodding over to the Undertaker. He moved his hand again, ping his lips once more.

“How exactly would you do that?” he asked. The Undertaker laughed.

“Well, first, you need a pure soul. One that is untouched by evil or greed, or any such sin.” He turned to Hoya. “Your mother has that.” He sighed, looking out towards the lake. “Once I acquire it, all that is left is to consume it, and once I house the power of the Pure Soul, my powers will increase one thousand fold, which will allow me the power necessary to set off a reaction so powerful, the world will have no choice but to bow to it.”

“What will you do then?” asked Hoya.

“What?” the Undertaker was taken aback by his question.

“What will you do once the world is destroyed?”

“I’ll enjoy it.”

“But, won’t you be killed too?” Hoya asked. “Won’t that have defeated your purpose? If you’re meant to enjoy our world’s destruction, and therefore everyone in its demise?” The Undertaker paused before he zipped Hoya’s lips back.

“You talk too much.” He said simply before continuing to stare out at the lake.

And so, they waited.

*****

Kris got up, wiping the dirt from his legs. He was exhausted. He looked around. “Are you sure this is going to work?” he asked. Kyungsoo nodded, gently placing his hand over his shoulder.

“Of course, trust me, okay?” Kris nodded.

“Alright, I trust you.” They headed off.

It was some time before they spoke again. Kris looked over at Kyungsoo. “Once this is all over, Tao will never trust me again.” Kyungsoo shrugged.

“Well, if I’m dead, I won’t have to hear about it.” Kris rolled his eyes.

“What a luxury for you.” He retorted. Kyungsoo laughed. They walked in silence most of the way there. As they approached the lake, they could see two figures there. Kyungsoo’s heart beat in his chest. He looked over at Kris.

“I suppose it’s time then?” he asked, his eyes full of sadness. Kyungsoo smiled sadly.

“Yeah, I suppose it is.” He rushed forward and embraced Kris. Tears stung at his eyes. “Thank you, for always being there for me.” Kris nodded.

“You’re welcome, Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo pulled back, and wiped the tears from Kris’s eyes.

“Be strong, for Tao.” Kris nodded. Kyungsoo took a deep breath, and walked forward.

*****

Hoya heard a rustling of leaves. The Undertaker lifted his head and gave a hideous smile.

“Boys, you’re back.” Hoya shifted his eyes to see who he was talking to. It was Heejun, and another man.

“Yes, my lord.” Tony said, as they both kneeled before the Undertaker.

The Undertaker took Hoya by his arm and him in front of Heejun. “I believe you’ve been looking for this.” He said. Heejun pulled Hoya in an embrace, still looking down at the ground.

“Yes, my lord. Thank you.”

“Hmmph.” The Undertaker responded, turning away from him. Heejun buried his face in his son’s shoulder.

The Undertaker looked out, searching the path. “He should be here by now.”

“Were you looking for me?” The Undertaker spun around, and smiled a ghastly grin.

“Well, well, well, here we are.” He stepped forward. Kyungsoo had stepped out of the woods.

“Let him go.” The Undertaker looked over at Heejun.

“I never said anything about handing him over, I just said I wouldn’t kill him.” The Undertaker smirked. He nodded off to Heejun. “Leave.” Heejun nodded, clutching Hoya for dear life, he ran.

The Undertaker looked back at Kyungsoo. “Now, where were we?” he asked.

“KYUNGSOO, NO!”

END OF CHAPTER 11