Chapter 12: Race Against Time

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

Kyungsoo turned to see Taemin and Kangta ran into the clearing. Tony’s eyes widened as he saw his old friend run forward.

 

“KYUNGSOO, NO, DON’T DO IT!” The Undertaker threw up his hand, forcing Taemin and Kangta into the air, and throwing them back several feet.

 

“No, stay back.” Kyungsoo turned about. Taemin and Kangta stared at him in disbelief.

 

“Kyungsoo, don’t do it! You don’t know what you’re dealing with.” Kyungsoo’s eyes filled with sadness.

 

“I do, actually.” he turned and walked towards the Undertaker. “Do with me what you will.” The Undertaker’s face broke out into a hideous sneer.

 

“Perfect.” He raised his hand, and waved it over Kyungsoo. Just like that, he fell to the ground.

 

“KYUNGSOO!” Kai, who had been watching from afar ran over to his side. he lifted his head. Kyungsoo’s eyes were closed, his skin was ice cold. Kai’s eyes turned towards the Undertaker.

 

“You, BASTARD!” He rushed towards him, and was thrown back at least ten feet, into a tree. The impact forced the tree to crack, causing it to fall over on top of him.

 

“Foolish wolf, I now hold the Pure Soul.” he said, raising his hand. A light blue ball of light flickered in his palm. he looked upon it with the utmost awe. “I have the power!” The Pure Soul flared in his hand.

 

He gently placed it onto his , taking it in. He doubled over, and let out an agonizing scream. It didn’t even sound like a scream to those there. Tony, who was still bent on his knees, was terrified. his eyes widened in terror as The Undertaker succumbed to the pain.

 

The slowly rose, a light glow emanating within him. he smiled. “It is time.”

 

*****

 

Heejun ran, he ran as far away as he possibly could. Clutching Hoya, he made his way in and out of the trees. Hoya was too terrified to move. He was no longer immobile, but he had heard the most unearthly shriek, and it terrified him.

 

“What was that?” he whispered to Heejun. Heejun looked down on him with the utmost empathy.

 

“That was The Undertaker, taking in the Pure Soul.” he looked back. “Kyungsoo, your mother is gone.” Hoya’s hand flew to his face. He couldn’t handle it.

 

He should have stayed home. He should have just come back with Heejun when he had the chance. This wouldn’t be happening. He shouldn’t have asked Seo In to bring him with. He’d be home in his own bed, his mother, and Seo In’s, would still be here, alive and well. The Undertaker would never have seen the light of day.

 

'The Undertaker,'

 

“Seo In!” Hoya rushed back, but was snatched up by Heejun.

 

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” asked Heejun.

 

“I need to find Seo In. He’s the key. He knows how to stop the Undertaker.” Heejun shook his head.

 

“It’s too dangerous, Hoya,”

 

“It’s dangerous either way. I could get killed, but we could all die if we just sit here and do nothing.” Hoya protested. Heejun looked at him with tired eyes.

 

“Hoya, I need to tell you something.” he looked into his son’s eyes.

 

“I know you know that you’re not my real son. But I love you, just that same as if you had been. And I need you to know, I didn’t kidnap you on a whim. I lied to your mom.

 

“The truth is, I knew this would happen. When I became leader of my tribe when I was younger, I was told by the fortune teller, Mother Shiva, that war would come, and only two people could stop it: ‘The sons of the woods.’ I didn’t know what she was talking about at first, until I met Kyungsoo.

 

“Now, I didn’t know which one of you or your brothers was ‘the one,’ and Seo In wasn’t born yet. Let’s just say, I got lucky. In more ways than one.” he said, ruffling Hoya’s hair.

 

“What you need to do now, is find Seo In, and then find Mother Shiva. She’ll tell you how to defeat The Undertaker.”

 

“But, what will you do?” he asked. Heejun smiled sadly back at him.

 

“I’ll give you as much time as I can.”

 

“Wait!” Hoya cried. Heejun turned back.

 

“Why did you kill Heechul? Was his death really necessary?” Heejun took a vial out of his pocket, and handed it to Hoya.

 

“Keep this, and tell Mother Shiva you need to see what’s inside. It will explain everything.”

 

“Wait, I think I’ve met her before, in Macalania,” Heejun shook his head.

 

“No, that was only an illusion, to lure you into Tony’s trap. The real Mother Shiva lives in between the wolf and Lycan territories. Find her, she’ll tell you what you need to know.I love you, Hoya.” he kissed Hoya on the forehead, and ran back from where they came.

 

Hoya, scared and confused, ran towards the Lycan village. ‘Goodbye, Dad.’ he thought, as he entered the clearing.

 

*****

 

“Kris, Kris, come quick! It’s Hoya!” Tao stuck his head in the cave. Kris looked up from Seo In. He was alive and well at last, and was just being checked over.

 

Seo In ran past him, almost toppling the both of them as he ran out. he stopped as he saw Hoya standing there alone in the clearing.

 

“Hoya,” his voice was barely a whisper.

 

“Seo In!” Hoya cried, his face was stained with tears as he rushed forward and threw his arms around Seo In’s neck.

 

Time seemed to stop as they stood there in the clearing, wrapped in one another’s embrace. Hoya looked up at Seo In.

 

“Seo In, are you okay?” Hoya asked, examining him. He smiled.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine.” as he opened his mouth to say something, Siwon and Minho came forward.

 

“Hoya!” Minho approached him. “Hoya, is Kyungsoo,” he stopped. Hoya’s eyes filled with tears. Seo In drew him in closer as he sobbed into his shoulder.

 

“Oh no,” he turned to Siwon. “What do we do now?” he asked. Hoya lifted his head and looked at Seo In.

 

“We need to find Mother Shiva, she’ll tell us how.”

 

“Hoya, I don’t know, we’re just kids, how can we,”

 

“You said that we had to do this. That you and I can find the answer. This is our chance. Either we give up or we die trying, its a double edged sword, but I’m going for the end that holds hope.” Seo In let go of Hoya and walked over to his father. “I have to go now, Father. It’ll be okay, I have Hoya.” he embraced him, and felt his father hug him back.

 

Siwon held back his tears as he let go of his only son. “I know you’ll do what’s best. We’ll try everything we can until then.” Seo In nodded, took Hoya by the hand, and shot off.

 

“Goodbye, my son.”

 

*****

 

Seo In and Hoya ran to the cave, where they had last encountered Heejun together. Seo In turned to him.

 

“Where is Heejun now?” he asked, looking around.

 

“Off to stall The Undertaker. We have to hurry.” Hoya dragged Seo In inside. They both stood there for a moment, petrified of their current situation.

 

“What if we don’t make it out of this alive?” Seo In asked.

 

“What we need to worry about now is whether or not the world will be here, not if we will be.” Seo In grabbed Hoya by his arm.

 

“But I am. What if we fail? What if only one of us survives. I, I can’t bear to think what life without you would be like, Hoya.” Hoya blushed.

 

“Well, put those thoughts in the back of your mind. Right now, we just need to find Mother Shiva.”

 

“Haven’t we met her already?” Hoya shook his head.

 

“That was an illusion. The real Mother Shiva lives in the woods somewhere between our territories. We need to find her, fast. Time is slipping away, who knows how long we have.”

 

*****

They wandered around for what felt like hours, but in reality was only twenty minutes or so. But when the world is literally weighing on your shoulders, time slips through your fingers like running water, and you realize just how precious it is.

 

“Seo In, Seo In, look! I think I found it!” Hoya pointed, as Seo In turned to look. They saw an elegant little cottage. It had a rounded roof and a rust-red outside, with a stone pathway leading to the burgundy door with a twisted brass handle. The windows nestled on either side were made of yellow, green and red stained glass, a soft glow emanating from the inside. The cottage and small yard filled with exotic looking flowers were enclosed in a rustic fence.

 

“It’s just like Heejun said,” Hoya sighed. He pulled Seo In forward. “Let’s go.” They walked forward, and Hoya pulled open the front gate. They gingerly stepped onto the stone pathway. They both jumped as the door swung open, revealing an ancient looking woman.

 

“So, you two are the chosen ones.” Hoya nodded.

 

“Heejun said I could find you here.”

 

“Indeed, he was right, child. Come in, the both of you. We don’t have much time.”

 

They quickly yet precautiously stepped forward.  There was a cozy fire burning in the stone fireplace. There were hand woven rugs covering the sitting area, the passageway between the tiny dining area and the kitchen, and one right in front of the door. Warm reds, greens and blues swam before his eyes. The floors were made of light wood, the walls of dark wood. She led them into a room off to the side.

 

Inside the room, the walls were draped in plum purple curtains, swooping up to the ceiling to form a tent-like atmosphere. There were stands of black candles surrounding the small wooden table, giving the room an eerie glow. She sat him down across from the table, and took her own seat. She wore multiple strands of beads on her head, strung throughout her hair, and on her neck. Her clothes were bright and colorful, like nothing they’d seen before.

 

“I know why you are here, there is no need for explanations, but rather, haste.” she turned to Hoya. “Did he give you the vial?” she asked, extending her bony hand, laden with rings. he nodded, handing it over.

 

She uncapped her crystal ball, the smoke endlessly swirling inside. She poured the contents of the vial in. The smoke violently began to twist and turn inside its glass prison. It changed from a stormy gray to a crimson red.

 

“Look on, for this is the key to The Undertaker’s undoing.”

 

They both leaned forward, in order to witness the vision more clearly.

 

Inside the ball, it showed The Undertaker, as the power of the Pure Soul transformed him into a more hideous and powerful being. Unable to contain the power of the Pure Soul with his wicked heart, The Undertaker could feel it ripping apart his being. So, as a final act, he unleashed its power, wreaking havoc on the world.

 

The oceans rose in violent torrents, and volcanoes spewed their molten innards, as trees were ripped from their roots and the skies turned red.

 

It began to rain serpents and arachnids, and the animals turned to mindless beasts. There was not an ounce of the earth where blood had not been spilt. And there, at last, was The Undertaker, stripped of his flesh, looking up at the sky with soulless eyes, as they were plucked by vultures and his insides fought over by rabid animals, a smile of disturbing satisfaction sat where his lips should have.

 

“Ah!” Hoya was thrown back. His stomach churned as his mind reeled from the images. “What the hell, is that happening right now?” he asked.

 

“Not now. In fact, it might not happen at all. That is, if your mother listened to what I told him.” Hoya’s eyes widened.

 

“What?” Mother Shiva nodded towards her crystal ball. “Keep watching. It’s not finished. There is more that you need to see.”

 

They looked at each other once more, before going back to watch what remained.

 

There, in a clearing, Heechul hung by his ankles. Heejun sat on a stump a few feet away. Heechul cocked his head.

 

“Is this necessary, Heejun?” he asked, his voice calm. Heejun sadly looked at Heechul.

 

“Yes. You know too much, and if the Undertaker finds you, he’ll torture you and get the information, one way or another. We can’t risk it.” Heechul nodded. Heejun walked over and kneeled before him.

 

“I am truly sorry for what I’m about to do and say. Forgive me.” Heechul nodded.

 

“I do. And I understand. But tell me, what will happen to Siwon and Seo In? Will they be okay?” he asked. Heejun nodded.

 

“I have the utmost confidence in the children.”

 

“What about you? Or anything you’ve done? What will happen once you perish?” he asked. Heejun smiled.

 

“I know I will, I’m not going to kid myself and think I’ll make it through this. I’ll die, and anything I’ve enchanted will fade as well.” Heechul grimaced.

 

“I have a feeling about something in particular.” he looked at Heejun with a knowing glance.” Heejun nodded.

 

“He too will disappear.” he looked off. “I just wanted him to be happy. If only for a little while.”

 

“What will happen once it fades?” he asked.

 

“Then, it should go as it should have to begin with.” Heechul nodded.

 

“Let’s get this over with.” Heechul nodded.

 

“As you wish.” Heejun stood up.

 

“Just one more thing,” Heechul added.

 

“What’s that?”

 

“Tell Siwon and Seo In, that I love them, very much.”

 

“I will.”

 

The sight the two boys saw next scarred them emotionally. Seo In was at a loss for words. All Hoya could do was cover his mouth as the tears trickled down his fingers and slid down his forearms.

 

“He, oh my God.” Hoya leaned on Seo In’s shoulder. Seo In’s face threatened to falter as he held on tight to Hoya.

 

“There is still one more thing you need to see,” Mother Shiva motioned to the ball. Hoya shook his head.

 

“I don’t think I could take any more of it.” But Mother Shiva would not relent.

 

“Do as I say, if it wasn’t important, I wouldn’t bother.” The two boys leaned forward one last time, fear etched on their faces, expecting the worst to come.

 

Kyungsoo and Kris were in the cottage, in the very same seats they were now. Sitting across from them, was Mother Shiva.

 

“What do you wish, dear boy?” she asked. She apparently knew his mother well.

 

“The Undertaker will come for me, I have no doubt in that. But I was wondering, if somehow, I could foil his plans.” Mother Shiva sat back, deep in thought. Kyungsoo and Kris leaned forward in earnest.

 

“Well, in order for him to properly take your soul as use it as he sees fit, which, from what I hear destruction is his main goal, it must remain pure, free of any sin, or greed.” she looked off.

 

“How, how would I go about...undoing that?”  Mother Shiva grimaced.

 

"By committing an ultimate sin." Kyungsoo looked down at his lap.

 

"I, I'm not quite sure how to go about this, I've never, never-"

 

"The easiest ways that I can see, are either murder," she looked from Kris to Kyungsoo. "Or adultery." The two of them blushed crimson.

 

"I know that you would never consider going to such lengths under ordinary circumstances, but if he truly means to destroy everything, then what do you have to lose?"

 

Several nights of heavy discussion had passed. Both saw no alternative. One night, they met in the clearing. The very clearing in which Kyungsoo and Kai had first become intimate. He was now about to soil that memory with adultery.

 

He traced the ground where Kai had laid him down. He touched his lips, remembering the burning passion of that night. Tears flowed down his cheeks and sank into the soil at his feet.

 

“I’m sorry, Kai.” He whispered. Kyungsoo’s head shot up as he heard the rustling of leaves. His heart stopped.

 

Kris came out of the brush, cautiously looking around. He nodded as he saw Kyungsoo standing there. He brushed himself off as he came closer.

 

“Kyungsoo, are you sure?” he asked, looking around. Kyungsoo nodded.

 

“Mother Shiva was very clear,” he said. Kris nodded.

 

“I know, but, what if, what if she’s wrong, and this doesn’t work?” Kyungsoo sighed, looking up at Kris.

 

“Then we have nothing to lose then, do we?” Kris shrugged. He and Kyungsoo looked at each other awkwardly for a few moments. He then turned to Kyungsoo, and gently moved his bangs out of his face.

 

"I'm not merely going to you, because you mean more to me than that." He said. Kyungsoo blushed, biting his lip. "I know you'll feel guilty, we both will by the end of the night, but," he came closer. "I still want you to enjoy it."

 

"Kris, I, I still don't know," Kris grabbed Kyungsoo by his jaw and looked straight into his eyes.

 

"You have beautiful lips, Kyungsoo." He said, bringing Kyungsoo's face closer to his own. "If you don't participate, it'll be more like than adultery; I don't want to cheat on Tao either, but, its the easiest way," he gently caressed Kyungsoo's face. "Besides, remember the time Kai thought you liked me and was about to kill me over it?" Kyungsoo blushed and nodded.

 

"You owe me for that one," he said playfully. Kyungsoo smiled. Kris wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo. "I'll go easy in you," he whispered. Kyungsoo laughed.

 

"I'm not a anymore, Kris, there's no need." Kris smiled.

 

"Tao has never told you what I'm like in bed, has he?" Kyungsoo shook his head. Kris nipped at Kyungsoo's neck. "Just relax, and I'll do my best to make this good for you." Kyungsoo leaned back as Kris mounted him.

 

*****

 

"I think I've emotionally scarred you two enough," Mother Shiva waved her hand and capped her crystal ball. Hoya shook his head and rubbed his eyes.

 

"The things I'll never be able to unsee," he shuddered. Seo In sat there, his face flushed in embarrassment. "So, besides emotionally scarring us for life, what exactly does this mean?" Asked Hoya.

 

"Your mother's soul is no longer pure, the ritual won't work. Once he fails, you have a limited window of opportunity to save his soul and defeat the Undertaker once and for all." The two boys sighed.


“Then what?" Seo In asked. Mother Shiva heaved a big sigh.

 

“One of you will have to stay behind, until the Undertaker’s soul has crossed over.” Hoya and Seo In looked at each other. “I know this is a lot to take in, you’re just children, you’re not meant to go about saving the world, but this is what was foretold in the stars. You much choose, quickly, as well as wisely.” they nodded.

 

Hoya rose and Seo In followed suit. “Thank you, Mother Shiva.” they bowed to her. she rose from her seat and embraced them.

 

“Perhaps once you have defeated him, we will have peace at last.” they turned and left, back into the uncertain wood.

 

*****

 

The Undertaker was still doubled over. He fought to keep the Pure Soul inside. It was fighting with all its might. “You may be strong, but you are mine now.” he growled. Kai looked on in horror. Kyungsoo was getting paler by the minute. His cheeks were sallow and his skin was cracking.

 

Taemin and Kangta slowly edged their way over to Kai. “Are you okay, Leader Kai?” asked Taemin, as Kangta slowly began to lift the tree from on top of him.

 

“Kyugsoo,” he looked up at Taein. “Do something, save him.” he begged. Taemin looked at him with sad eyes.

 

“I’m sorry, Kai. But I don’t know if we can.”

 

“Don’t worry about it,” a voices said from behind. Taemin looked behind them, and scowled. Kangta was fixing to throw the tree. “Calm down,” Heejun held up his hand. “It’s none of you I’m after.” Kai growled, lunging for him.

 

“You, this is all your fault!” Taemin held him back.

 

“What do you want? Haven’t you caused enough problems?” he looked down at Taemin, and back at Kangta. “Take care of him for now, I don’t think I’m going to make it.” Kangta dropped the tree and looked down at Taemin.

 

“And, is there any way…” his voice trailed off. Heejun shook his head. Kangta held back his tears. “So this is it then?” Heejun nodded. Kanta walked over to Taemin, and threw his arms around him. Taemin looked up at Heejun.

 

“What are you doing? What’s happening, Heejun?”

 

“I love you, Taemin and Kangta. Tell the others the same. And my son, Onew. Tell him, that I’m very proud of the young man he’s become. I’m sorry I caused you so much trouble. I’m going to fix that now. Goodbye.”

 

“Heejun, Leader Heejun, come back! Please, come back!” Taemin begged. Heejun ignored him, steadily walking forward.

 

*****

Tony looked up. Heejun was coming back. he smiled. Perhaps if he took him out in front of his master, he would be rewarded. He stood up. “Heejun, you’ve come back.” he said.

 

“Yes, I have.” he said, coming face to face with him.

 

“What are you doing, Heejun?” Tony asked.

 

“Something I should have done when I had the chance,” He grabbed Tony by the back of his head, and brought him closer.

 

“I highly doubt that this is an appropriate time to become intimate, Heejun.”

 

“Have you seen our son, Tony? He’s become a very well rounded young man. I think, that we’re done here.” Tony looked down, and then back up again.

 

“Onew?” he shook his head. “What do you mean, ‘done?’ What are you doing, Heejun?”

 

“I love you, Tony,” Heejun kissed him, and withdrawing the daggar from its sheath, stabbed his lover in the back.

 

Tony’s eyes grew wide. “Heejun,” he whispered, his lips still brushing up against Heejun’s. “Onew, he’s okay, right?”

 

“Yes, our son is okay. And so we shall be too.” Heejun slowly fell to his knees, shift the dagger deeper into Tony. “Once they take him into the Farplane, he’ll start firing off. You’d have been the first to go. Do you know what that would have done to you? Birth would be nothing compared to the pain of death. Being blown to bits is not the way you want to die. I know.” Heejun caressed Tony’s head, running his hands through his hair. “I’m going to make it as painless as possible for you.”

 

“And you? What will happen to you, Heejun?” Heejun smiled at Tony. “I’ll make sure that no one else gets hurt.”

 

“Tell Onew, that I love him.”

 

“I’ll have to pass the message, but I’ll be sure that he gets it.” Tony held onto Heejun’s shirt, and smiled up at him.

 

“I hope he’s happy, wherever he is.”

 

“He is, I know it.” He gently kissed Tony’s forehead as he closed his eyes. He gently laid Tony down on the forest floor and turned to the Undertaker. He was beginning to come to.

 

He looked over towards the other direction. he got up and ran towards the sound. Seo In and Hoya were running towards him.

 

“How is everything?” asked Hoya. His eyes grew wide seeing Tony and Kyungsoo on the ground. He looked down at Heejun’s hands, covered in blood. “What have you done?” he asked.

 

“Bought time. He was on the Undertaker’s side. Quickly, do what you have to.” Seo In nodded. Hoya hugged Heejun.

 

“I don’t know if this is the last time I’ll see you, but I love you, Dad.” Heejun ruffled his hair.

 

“I love you too, Hoya. Be safe.” He kissed the top of his head and walked over in front of the Undertaker. He nodded over to them. “Are you ready?” he asked. They nodded. Seo In looked over at Hoya.

 

“Hoya,” he said. he looked over at Seo In.

 

“Yeah, Seo In?” Seo In sighed.

 

“Give me your hand, and don’t let go.”

 

“But, you’re not hurt,” Hoya protested.

 

“I’m not going to make out with you in front of everyone, now give me your hand, Hoya.” Hoya blushed crimson as he held onto Seo In’s hand tightly.

 

Seo In lunged for the Undertaker as he began to rise, and the three of them were to the ground as Seo In opened the door of light.


END OF CHAPTER 12