Chapter 9: Losing Faith

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

Seo In opened his eyes and touched his hand to his face. It was wet. He ran his hands along the contours of his jawline, making sure he hadn’t drooled.

When his hands reached his eyes, he could feel the trail of tears leading down to his ears. Something had gone wrong. He turned, and called softly.

“Hoya,” he reached out his hand. “Hoya, wake up.” Hoya lie sleeping just inches away, curled up in a ball.

Seo in crawled over, turning Hoya on his back, and gently shaking him. Hoya was still. “Hoya, HOYA!”

“He won’t wake, mutt.” Seo In’s blood ran cold. He slowly turned and looked in the direction of the voice. His eyes widened.

A tall figure stood a good meter or two away. He wore black, tattered robes and his hat hung low over his eyes.

“I have a few good words to say to you, before I set everything back in its place,” he motioned upwards. Seo In looked, choking back a scream.

There was a flock of birds stuck in mid-air. He looked around. There was a horned owl, reaching out its claws as it was about to pierce it’s talons into a small field mouse. A deer was over by the river, frozen mid sip.

“Who, who are you?” Seo In asked, dreading the answer he suspected all too well.

“I am the nightmare made real. I will take out everything in this hovel you call your world, and destroy it. I am the Undertaker.” He slowly made his way forward.

Seo In wanted to move back, but the Undertaker’s piercing gaze kept him glued on the spot. “This world, it will all end at some point or another, why postpone the inevitable? I will destroy everything... I will create a monument to non-existence!

“Why do people insist on creating things that will inevitably be destroyed? Why do people cling to life, knowing that they must someday die? ...Knowing that none of it will have meant anything once they do?

“Why do you build, knowing destruction is inevitable? Why do you yearn to live, knowing all things must die?” he smiled, looking up at Seo In, forcing him to look into his beady, sunken eyes.

“You, who knows nothing of life, wishes to destroy me,” he let out a cold, cruel laugh. “I may seem powerful now, but wait until I’m at full strength. This, This is nothing, compared to what I can do, all I need, is time.”

He stepped forward. He looked down at Hoya and scoffed. “Seems Heejun has lost his pet,” he looked over at Seo In, taking one of his grisly hands and forcing him to look him in the eyes. He smiled, revealing jagged, rotting teeth.

“Should I give him back?” he asked. Seo In tried to keep his face stoic, but his eyes betrayed him. The Undertaker scoffed again. “You poor fool, in love with him, are you?” he looked over at Hoya. “I could fix that in a quick second,” he said, lifting his hand over the boy.

Seo In made to jump in front of him, but barely made an inch. The Undertaker however, was miffed. “I see,” he said. He looked from Hoya to Seo In. “It seems that I need more time than I thought. But while I’m here,”

He leaned over and whispered in Seo In’s ear. “Heejun has killed your of a mother, her blood spilled last night, staining the forest floor. I can tell you without the least bit of remorse that I lapped up the blood that remained like a starving child.

“Your father couldn’t even save your mother, nor could the wolves. What makes you think that you can defeat me, you pathetic excuse for a hero.” He swung his arm back and delivered a strong blow to the back of Seo In’s head.

His vision was blurred, and he couldn’t breathe. He felt the world going dark, and then, nothing.

He didn’t think that he and Seo In were ready for such a powerful foe.

Before he lost consciousness, he saw the Undertaker bend over Hoya as he slept. He turned to Seo In and flashed that hideous smile before he snapped his fingers, and disappeared. 

 

END OF CHAPTER 9

Sorry this took so long, but here I am, back again!

Btw, you might recognize the Undertaker's speech. Brownie points for whoever can name it!