Chapter 3: Nothing Is As It Seems

Eclipse of The Twilight Moon

 Seo In stumbled into the woods, toppling over onto Hoya. For a moment, all was still. All Hoya could hear was their heavy breathing, and their hearts beating in sync. Hoya looked over at Seo In, whose eyes were closed.

“Are you okay?” he asked. Seo In turned to him and slowly opened his eyes. He nodded.

“It’s just that I get worn out easily.” Hoya made a face.

“You live in the woods, and have some sort of health condition?” he shook his head. “Well isn’t that wonderful.” Seo In propped himself up on his elbows.

“I do just fine, thank you very much.” He shot back. Hoya shrank away, sorry he had made such a comment.

“I apologize. That was rude of me.”

“You think?” Seo In retorted. Hoya looked around. The trees were dense here. He could see the path that his father had taken him on.

“Hey, let’s go, I think I know a way out.” He went to stand, and was promptly pulled back down. He looked over at Seo In, who was drenched in sweat and rather pale.

“I know,” he paused, taking a deep, staggering breath. “That you’re excited and all, but do you mind waiting for me?” he asked. “I can’t breathe. And, I don’t want to be alone.” Hoya smiled.

“Alright. I’ll wait with you.” He situated himself next to him.

*****

It was getting rather dark. The sun was setting in the sky, and Seo In hadn’t gotten up yet. Hoya was concerned.

“Seo In, are you sure you’re okay.” He weakly nodded.

“This is perfectly normal.” He said, waving off Hoya’s paranoia. Hoya shook his head and rested his middle and index finger on Seo In’s jugular to check his pulse.

Seo In’s eyes widened. He clasped Hoya’s hand onto his neck.

“Ah!” Hoya gasped, trying to pull away. “Seo In, what are you doing?” he asked. Seo In looked over at him and jerked his hand.

“Stop. Just, just keep your hand here.” He said. Hoya waited. After a while, Seo In’s breathing began to return to normal.

Perhaps he was just scared, and needed someone to hold onto.’ Hoya smiled at him. Seo In rolled his eyes.

 

“I’m not afraid; I just…would feel better if you left your hand there for a bit.” Hoya shrugged.

“Whatever you say.” Hoya blushed. He was a little freaked out. Did Seo In read his mind? How did he know that he thought he was afraid? He lied down next to Seo In and ripped his hand away.

“Hey!” Seo In looked over at him with disdain. Hoya held up his other hand.

“I was getting tired, so here, use this hand.” He said, placing it on his neck. Seo In’s eyes softened as he placed his own hand over Hoya’s.

They both closed their eyes, and drifted off to sleep.

*****

Hoya opened his eyes. He was in the middle of a field, with tall grass and wild flowers. He sat up, and came face to face with a cone flower. He blew it away, just to have it softly bounce back onto his nose. He turned around, looking for Seo In.

“Seo In!” he called, rising from the ground. He looked about him. In the distance, he could see a towering waterfall, cascading down a mountainside. The water appeared multi-colored, swirling around in the pool like oil. He looked up at the sky.

Lights played across it like chasing butterflies, swirling and speeding through the horizon. As he brought his gaze down from the heavens, he could see Seo In lying several feet away.

“Seo In!” he ran to him, skidding on his knees. “Seo In, wake up!” he gently shook him. Seo In coughed and hacked, unable to catch his breath. “Seo In, are you alright?” Hoya asked, reaching to check his temperature. He slapped his hand away.

“Im, [cough, cough] fine.” He forced his eyes open, and looked over at Hoya in surprise. “What are you [cough] doing here?” he asked, turning onto his side, and slowly lifting himself up.

“What are you talking about?” he asked. “I was going to ask you where we were.” Seo In shook his head.

“I don’t understand, how are you here?” he looked around. “You’re not supposed to be here.” He grasped his head in frustration, trying to grasp the reality that had him in a choke hold.   

“What are you talking about?” asked Hoya, who was becoming increasingly concerned. “Where are we Seo In?” he turned to Hoya.

“You’re not supposed to be here. No one else is supposed to be able to come here.” He frantically looked about.

“Seo In, you’re scaring me. What’s going on?” he asked. Seo In suddenly grabbed him by his arm and shot off. “Seo In, where are we going?” he cried. Seo In reached out his hand, concentrating with all his might.

Hoya’s eyes widened as a golden door of light appeared. Seo In swung him around into his arms, and ran at top speed through the door.

*****

Hoya shot up. They were back in the woods. He looked up. The same trees as before, except now, they were bathed in moonlight. He looked over. Seo In was rising up, dropping his pants.

“Ah!” Hoya covered his eyes. “What are you doing?” he asked, turning away. Seo In smirked.

“Thing is, if my parents see me in human clothes, they’ll freak. They already warned me about going outside, human clothes will just make it worse.” He dug a hole and buried the boxers. He turned to Hoya, who was covering his face.

Seo In picked him up and straightened him out. “Don’t do that, they’ll think something is wrong with you.” He began ing Hoya’s jacket.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, I just met you; you can’t do that!” Hoya folded his jacket protectively over his torso.

“It’s for your protection, if they see you with clothes on, they’ll know you’re human, and they’ll try to kill you.” Hoya shivered at the thought. Seo In gently set his arms down, and slid his jacket off his petite shoulders.

Hoya looked away in embarrassment as Seo In removed his shirt, and then his pants. He nervously clenched his knees together. “You have to take them off, Hoya.” Seo In reminded him.

“Okay, okay, I’ll do it.” He slipped off his own underwear, and neatly folded it in his pants. Seo In dug another hole, and buried Hoya’s clothes.

“You’ll have to come with me for now,” he said, holding out his hand. Hoya hesitantly took it, and let himself be guided along the moonlit path.

*****

As they approached a clearing, he could see a group of other men. They were all…. ‘Wow, didn’t know I rescued a nudist, and now look where it’s gotten me.’ He thought.

“I’m not a nudist, I’m a Lycan.” Seo In retorted. Hoya grimaced.

“Stop reading my thoughts!” he shot back.

“I’m not reading your thoughts; you’re saying it out loud!” Seo In whispered. Hoya blushed. He could have sworn he was thinking that to himself.

They came into the clearing, and were met with curious stares. One man, slender with honey colored hair stepped forward. “Who is this, Seo In?” he asked, critically examining Hoya.

“This is Hoya, mother.” The man’s eyes widened.

“Hoya?” Heechul turned Hoya about, fluffing his hair and grabbing his face.

“Um…yeah. My name is Hoya.” Heechul backed up.

“Siwon!” he cried, running back. Hoya looked from Seo In to Heechul.

“What is your ‘mom’ doing?” he asked. Seo In shrugged.

“I don’t know, I’ve never seen him act like this before.” Hoya’s heart thumped wildly in his chest. What was happening?

A tall, dark man with piercing eyes like Seo In’s entered the clearing. He walked right up to Hoya and looked directly in his eyes.

“You are Hoya, I assume?” Hoya nodded nervously.

“Y-yes, sir.” He straightened up and looked over at Seo In. “Go with your mother.” Seo In began to protest. “GO!” he bowed and followed Heechul. Siwon turned back to Hoya. “You,” Hoya’s head perked up. “Follow me.”

Siwon led him through the clearing, pas the trees and into a small hut. “Minho,” he called out. A man emerged. He had short hair and a small frame.

“Yes, Leader Siwon?” he asked. Siwon pulled Hoya forward.

“This boy says his name is Hoya.”

“Because it is,” Hoya piped up. Minho dropped the pot he had been stirring.

“H-H-Hoya?” Minho stammered. Siwon nodded. Minho frantically looked about, and began rummaging through his things. Hoya stood there, utterly befuddled.

“I’ll get Onew and Key.” Siwon turned to leave, leaving Hoya with Minho. He turned back, and jumped a little. Minho was right in front of him.

“Hoya, are you okay?” he asked, examining him.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Minho circled him and looked into his eyes.

“You have your father’s eyes.” Hoya was puzzled.

“You know my father?” he asked. Minho rolled his eyes.

“Of course! Everyone knows about your parents.” Hoya’s eyes widened.

“My mom, even?” he asked. Minho smiled.

“Of course,” he said, rummaging around in his things.

“How did you meet my dad, Heejun?” Minho stopped. He looked over at him.

“Heejun?” Hoya turned around. There were two more men at the door. One had glossy brown hair, while the other had short ebony whisps. The one with brown hair stepped forward.

“Heejun?” he asked. “How do you know him?” Hoya turned from either side.  

“Heejun is my father.” He said. The short haired man shook his head.

“This ain’t Kyungsoo’s kid, it can’t be,” the brown haired man put his hand on his shoulder.

“Now Key, remember what happened,” Key shook his head.

“Heejun is gone, he can’t be here. So is Kyungsoo’s baby.”

“It’s been a long time,”

“Exactly, Onew. How can you be sure it’s him?”

Minho came over and grabbed Hoya, sitting him down. He was given a thorough examination.

“How did you get here, Hoya?” he asked.

“Seo In brought me.”

“From where?” he asked. Hoya looked from one man to the other.

“Mieda.” Minho turned to the others.

“He’s been here all along.” The others turned to each other, their eyes filled with fear.

“What’s going on?” Hoya asked. “What are you talking about?” Onew shook his head.

“You poor boy,” he said. “Nothing is as it seems.”

END OF CHAPTER 3