7

The Wolf

I decided to give the You-character in the story a name. It’ll be a little bit easier for me to write then. The name I’ve given her is Avry, after the main character in one of my favorite books. I hope you like it. I'll update the previous chapters when I post the next chapter, but right now I just have to get some sleep...


On the meeting place, the others were starting to get slightly worried about you. As time had passed, Baekhyun had returned, and said that you were nowhere to be found. Luhan, who had become worried about you, told Baekhyun where you were, and so Baekhyun went out to find you, but as he found the cave, it was empty. He decided to go back and tell the others, and just as he came back and opened his mouth to tell the others that you weren’t there, a screamed could be heard from not too far away and quickly followed by the scream came a howl.

Neither Tao nor Luhan had time enough to think, before they both ran towards the sound. The only thought going through their mind was to find you, and hopefully before it was too late. But as they reached the top of the hill, all they could see was the end of your tracks, and nothing more, not even where you landed. It was like you had vanished in thin air.

The boys looked at each other, both of them as clueless as the other. They were sure you had to be nearby, but as your tracks stopped everything told them that you had fallen down the hill, but there were no signs of you anywhere. As they kept looking, the others joined them, and together they searched the forest until it started to turn dark.

Chen laid his arm around Jessica as she was shivering from the cold night air. She didn’t want to stop looking for you. You were her best friend, and had been so since you both were two years old. She remembered how you had met just as clearly as if it had been yesterday.

-

It had been on a warm summer day. You and your family had come to the village to join the rest of the village in a wedding. It had been the wedding of the daughter of the butcher and the son of one of the best hunters in the village. As their parents had a close relationship because of their jobs, it was no big surprised that their children got married, and everyone was very happy about it.

As the wedding ceremony was over, and the celebration began, you had wandered over to the table were the food was, and there you and Jessica had started to fight over a piece of cake. It wasn’t that you both wanted that piece, but the strawberry that was on it. Both of you wanted it, and refused to let the other have it. After a few minutes of fighting between you, Angelica came over and took the strawberry and ate it before either of you got the chance to react. After that both you and Jessica had chased Angelica around until all three of you lied in the grass panting for air, too exhausted to continue the chase.

As the three of you lay there, you had started to talk, and then to laugh. And from that the three of you had become best friend, and had been so ever since.

-

As you had disappeared, all Jessica could think of, was how terrible all this must have been for you. First the wolf, then the necklace, followed by the isolation and now this. You were gone, and nowhere to be found. And as the sky grew darker, the wind got colder, and even though she hated it, she had to turn back, and follow the others home. As they walked home, Jessica couldn’t help herself but to get lost in her own thoughts.

“Here” Chen said from beside her. She looked up at him as he placed his jacket around her shoulders and entwined their fingers. She looked at their hands, and then back at her boyfriend’s warm smile.

“Thank you” She mumbled as they continued to walk.

“You shouldn’t worry about her. Avry has been through a lot, and I know she doesn’t deserve this, but she’s a big girl you know. Tomorrow’s a new day. We’ll go back and search for her then, and then we’ll also have many more with us. I’m sure we’ll find her.” Chen said, trying his best to calm her down, though all he got as a response was a silent nod.

In front of them, the others weren’t in a much happier mood. Baekhyun and Suho quietly mumbled something to each other, while Tao and Angelica silently walked beside each other, their finger entwined as well, while Luhan walked in the outskirt of the road, his hands in his pockets, head hung low and kicking some random rocks as he walked.

When they reached the village, they were greeted by Baekhyuns parents. It wasn’t unusual for them to return this late when the sun had set, but there was something about all of them that made his parents feel worried when they saw them coming from the road. As they came towards them his mother asked.

“Why do you all look so sad? Did something happen?” Baekhyuns mother asked. Baekhyun looked at Tao to see if he wanted to answer the question, but as he  that his friends mind was not with them, but somewhere else far away, he turned towards his mother and answered.

“We were having fun playing hide and seek. Nothing different than usual, but during the last round…” He stopped talking and bit his lip, not quite wanting to say the words, afraid that hearing them outside his head would only make it worse.

“During the last round Avry disappeared” Baekhyun turned towards the voice and looked at Luhan, who let out a sigh before he continued. “And now we can’t find her.”

Luhan then turned around and walked home without saying another word. Suho wanted to follow him and make sure he was okay, but as Chen silently shook his head while laying his arms around Jessica to comfort her, he stopped.

“That poor girl!” Baekhyuns mother gasped while covering , and then she turned to her husband. “We have to search for her. All of us. We should gather everyone and then go search the forest!”

Her husband silently shook her head. “We’ll do that tomorrow. It’s too dark to look for her, and if we do look for her we’ll only end up either having injuries or more lost people, not to mention how hard it is to trace tracks in the dark. Even though there’s nothing I’d like to do more than to find her, I’m afraid she’ll have to be on her own until sunrise.” He said, before looking back at the teenagers in front of him.

“You should go home and get some sleep. All of you. Do that, and you’ll be able to help with the search tomorrow.”

And so everyone split up and went to their separate homes. Baekhyun and his parent walked with Suho until they reached their house and Suho continued on his own to his own house. Chen and Tao walked the twins home, before they separated and went home as well. Even though the silence and the cold air helped Tao clear his mind, his head was still a mess, filled with worry for his sister and for how he was going to tell his parents about what had happened, and just imagining the face of his mother made him feel bad inside.

-

The next day came, filled with sunshine and a warm and lovely wind. The people of the village gathered and separated into groups that would search the different regions of the forest. The groups searched for three days without finding anything.

The first day they returned they had found nothing, and people believed that it was just bad luck, and therefore they continued to search, hoping that they would find her the second day. On the second day they were all gloomy when they returned. They hadn’t found anything that could lead them to the girl, instead they found wolf prints. After that the women were forbidden to join the search, just in case they were to meet the beast.

As they were searching on the third day, one of the men came running over to Tao and Suho, who were searching near the cave where she had last been seen. As Tao heard his name being called, he turned towards the voice and saw the man coming towards them. As he reached them he supported his hands on his knees and panted heavily, before he showed Tao what was in his hand.

“The wolf…” He panted. “We saw the wolf… Not too far from here.” The man took a deep breath and straightened up before he continued “We chased it as far as we could, but before we lost it, it dropped this.” He gave the fabric to Tao and then looked at him. “Is it hers?”

Tao looked at the piece of fabric in his hands. It was a handkerchief. The fabric was wet and full of dirt, making it hard to see that it once had been in a lovely color of light blue that resembled the sky on a beautiful summer day. Tao held his breath as he slowly unfolded and turned the fabric.

Two dark blue letters embroidered into the thin fabric could be seen. Tao took a sharp breath before falling to his knees. His vision got blurry as tears started to build up in his eyes. He dropped the handkerchief and Suho carefully picked it up, as his friend covered his face with his hands and let out barely audible sobs. As Suho saw the letters on the handkerchief, he balled his hands into fists and looked at the ground before he said in a low voice.

“It’s hers. The letters are her initials.”

* * * * *

There's a new chapter for all of you. I just had to write about what happened in the village after the disappearence, since it is a part of the plot.

Also thank you so much for the upvotes, subscribes and comments. They really make me happy and more eager to keep writing!

Now who's ready to know who the wolf is? :D