11

The Wolf

You burst out in laughter for the umpteenth time as you walked back to the camp. You had just finished practicing your new skills, and had finally succeeded. You were so happy that you just couldn’t stop smiling, and as a branch hit Kai’s face, you couldn’t hold back your laughter. You kept laughing until you had to clutch your stomach and gasp for air, which only made Kai laugh as well, seeing how stupid you looked. That was how you looked when the two of you reached the camp, and when Chanyeol saw you he raised his eyebrow and starred at the two of you with confusion written all over his face. You laughed too hard to answer, and as you started to calm down, Kai answered Chanyeol’s confused face.

“She did it.” He said with a big smile. “Avry finally did it!”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened as he turned his head towards you. You looked at him with a smile and nodded your head. A big smile formed on his face as he jumped up and ran over to you, before he gave you a big hug and lifted you up as he spun you around.

“I’m so proud of you!” He said as you laughed before he put you back down. “You finally did it! After all the practice you finally made it, and now we have one less thing to worry about.” He said as he looked at you with a big smile. “But you’ll have to show me too tomorrow that you can do it before I fully believe you.” He said with a smirk. You just laughed and punched his shoulder.

“What kind of punch was that?” You heard a voice from behind. You turned around to see Sehun emerge from the bushes. He smiled a little as you came over and gave him a hug. “Next thing we’ll have to do is teach you how to defend yourself, because punching like that won’t help you when we’re gone.”

“And you’ll be the one to teach me?” You said and looked up at him as he laughed a little.

“In hand combat, yes. But Kai will teach you swords and spears and Chanyeol will teach you how to use a bow and to throw knives at a target.” He replied simply. You blinked your eyes at him in confusion. You had expected that they would know how to use some weapons, but knife throwing and spears was unexpected.

“How do you even know how to do that? Can’t you just turn in to wolves and rip each other’s throats out?” You asked, and got even more confused when Sehun started to laugh. You looked confused at him before Chanyeol decided to explain it for you.

“We can.” He said with a slight chuckle. “But it’s safer and a bit easier if we know how to use weapons as well. We can of course do as you said, but there are potions and herbs that make us unable to change for a limited amount of time, and in that case it’s good to know how to use weapons. Believe me; it happens more often than you’d think. Sometimes it’s just as a joke, but it’s actually a very common strategy when two packs go to war.” You nodded slowly, not quite sure what he meant, but you understood enough and didn’t want to seem stupid.

“Then when do we start?” You said and smiled at them. Kai opened his mouth, but Sehun answered before him.

“Tomorrow. Right now we have to continue towards the next camp.” The other nodded and started gathering the things you had unpacked. When you had gathered everything, you continued walking towards the next camp, wherever that was. You were talking to Chanyeol about how he was going to teach you how to throw knives. He believed in you, but you were just scared that the knife would hit one of them instead of the target. You kept talking about that until you heard someone clear his throat behind you. You turned around and saw Sehun stand there.

“I need to burrow Chanyeol for a few minutes.” He said with something that to you looked like a forced smile. You wondered why, but decided not to ask and just nodded your head instead. As the two of them slowed down so they could walk behind you, you heard them mumbling about something. You tried to focus on what they were saying, even though you knew eavesdropping was bad, and you could barely make out what they said. You could hear their conversation, but had no idea what they meant. In the end you just walked faster until you caught up with Kai.

“Who’s Kira?” You simply asked. Kai chocked on the water he was drinking and coughed a few times before he looked at you with big eyes, surprise written all over his face.

“How do you know about Kira?”

“You might be wolves and have super hearing, but my hearing isn’t too bad either. I heard Sehun and Chanyeol talking about her.” You said without looking at him. You kicked a rock on the road in front of your foot as you waited for him to reply.

“Kira is a member of our pack.” Kai answered slowly after a few seconds of thinking. “She used to be very close to Sehun.”

“Like his girlfriend or something?” You asked and looked up at him.

“Something like that.” Kai relied and nodded a little. “But they haven’t really talked in a long time. They don’t hate each other or anything like that, but every time they’re in the same group of people things get kind of tense between them.”

“So they broke up? Isn’t that a normal reaction? I’d say they still like each other.”

“It’s not that simple.”

“Then stop making me curious and explain it.” You said and crossed your arms over your chest.

“I can’t. To be honest I’m confused about the whole situation between them. All I know is what was before and that Sehun doesn’t like to talk about it.” He said and quickly added when he saw the expression on your face. “So don’t ask him about it!”

You rolled your eyes at him before asking; “Why not?”

“Because nothing good will come out of it!” He said and let out a sigh. “Last time he ended up being cold for days. He didn’t want to talk or even be near us. He just came to eat and then he left. I don’t get why he’s like that. They used to be inseparable, and now they don’t want to be in the same room even though there are a lot of other persons in there.”

 “Sounds like Chen and Jessica.” You silently mumbled, and couldn’t help but to think of your friends. In the start they had been the kind of couple that broke up and got back together a few days later; only to break up a few days after that again. They had been going on like that for almost a month when you and the rest of your friends had had enough and forced them to talk together after a break up. Of course neither of them wanted to talk to the other, and it all ended with you locking them up inside a barn until they talked.

At first you and your friends waiter for about an hour before you heard them talking, then you started listening to what they were saying before you silently started to fight with each other as you all wanted to look at them through some of the holes in the wall. At first they had started to talk normally, then they started to raise their voices, then they screamed at each other and then they went quiet. You had all been through it before, so when they went quite you made bets amongst yourselves about which one of them would break the silence first and how long time it would take. It was always unpredictable. You could never be sure which one of them would talk first and beg the other for forgiveness, or how long they would be angry after yelling at each other. Sometimes it took less than five minutes, but the record was a little more than an hour.

It was also fun to see how cold the one who didn’t speak was. It was always fun, and they ended up being all lovey dovey afterwards. It was good memories, and as you thought about it you felt a slight sting in your chest. You bit your lip and looked at the ground underneath your feet as you walked.

“I’m sorry.” Kai said. You looked up at him, a little confused about why he apologized. “I know you must miss your friends and family, and I’m sorry that I took you away from them. I know that you sometimes must want to go back to them, and then get sad and angry when you realize that you can’t. I won’t say that I know how you feel because we’re usually away from the pack, because I know it’s not the same.”

“You’re right.” You said, and Kai turned his head to look at you. “I do miss them. And I am angry for that you took me away. And sometimes I wish that I could just go to sleep and wake up in my bed and be happy because all of this was just a dream. And no, you don’t have a clue what it’s like because you can always go back to your pack whenever you feel like it, while in my case; I don’t even know where I am anymore”

“I’m sorry.” Kai said again and looked back on the road, as if he didn’t want to meet your gaze.

“Don’t be.” You simply replied, and smiled a little when he looked back at you. “Because if you hadn’t taken me away, my life would have been wonderful. I would even have had a boyfriend. Still I’m glad you did. Because if you hadn’t, I would’ve never met you or Chanyeol or Sehun, and I wouldn’t have learned all the things I’ve learned, or been on this adventure.”

Kai smiled and pulled you into a hug which you gladly returned. It was true that you sometimes just wanted to get back home and forget everything that happened, but you still wanted the three boys in your life. Over the short time you had spent together, you had become really close to them, and somehow it felt like all three of them had been there not just for the short amount of time they actually had been there, but for a very long time; just like your friends back home.

As you hugged him, you heard a pair of feet stop beside you. You turned your head and looked at Chanyeol and Sehun who had caught up with you. They looked at Kai, then at you and then at the both of you, before Chanyeol spoke.

“Did something happen?” He asked and cocked his head a little.

“No, nothing.” You said and smiled at them as you let go of Kai. “Are the two of you done talking?”

“Yeah.” Sehun replied. “We decided to head for another camp instead. The original one is too close to the border.”

“The border?” You looked at them as you asked. “What border?”

“The border that separates the territories.” Kai replied

“The pack on the other side of the border is one of our biggest rivals, and lately they have been spotted closer to the border than usual. It could be that they’re just moving to another cave, but there’s also the possibility that they’re up to something.” Chanyeol explained. You nodded as he spoke.

“And therefore it would be dangerous to travel along the border in case we should meet them?” You asked. The three of them nodded.

“Keeping you away from our own pack until the time is right is important, but it’s even more important to stay away from other packs and stray wolves. Our own pack might spare you and give you a chance to get back to your family, but a wolf from the outside wouldn’t hesitate to jump at you and kill you, even if he was alone and the three of us were beside you.” Sehun explained, and the thought of it made shivers go down your spine.

“We have to change course before we get to close. Your sent is different and easy to pick up, and the wind is blowing towards the border. If they pick it up they won’t hesitate to cross the border, even though it’s forbidden.” Sehun continued, and it all just made you more and more scared of being killed within the next 24 hours.

“Then let’s go now! Before they pick it up!” You said and looked at them nervously. Sehun looked at Chanyeol who nodded. Sehun changed into his wolf shape and Chanyeol nodded at you.

“Get on his back. Sehun is the fastest sprinter among the three of us, it’ll go faster if he-”

Chanyeol was interrupted as a howl cut through the air. Your blood froze in your veins, and the sound of the howl made the hairs in your neck rise up. Sehun looked at his friends before he nudged your sleeve. Kai looked at Chanyeol who nodded.

“They’re close.”

* * * * *

Almost 50 subscribers! I'm so happy! Thank you guys :'D

Keep voting, subscribing and commenting, and I'll keep writing new chapters. What do you think about the chapter and the story so far?