21

The Wolf

The sound of stomping feet and loud voices came from the outside. Sehun stood up and looked towards the entrance to the cave. He had carried you to the cave where the pack members would get medical treatment whenever needed. The Alpha allowed Sehun to stay by your side since he was the one who brought you there, but everyone else was forbidden to enter until the council members or the Alpha said anything else.

Sehun narrowed his eyes at the shadows from the outside. He knew many of the other pack members wanted to get a look at you. Not to see if there was anything they could do to help, but out of curiosity, or simply just because they didn’t want to have you in the den, the territory or just simply on the same earth. A human in the territory was not simply forgiven due to happenings in the past.

Sehun wouldn’t let that happen, not as long as he was able to prevent it. His muscles tensed and he could feel his blood heat up; a sign that his body were preparing to transform. However, his eyes softened a little and he let out a sigh as he heard the roar of a well-known voice.

“Get out of my way! I know she’s in there!”

“Kai, calm down!”

Sehuns lips slightly curled upwards. Of course, Kai was out of his mind, but luckily, Chanyeol seemed to be with him. Either this could turn out really bad, or Chanyeol could manage to calm Kai down before he did something stupid.

“We have orders to not let anyone near the human. And that includes you!” A voice that Sehun assumed belonged to one of the Deltas set to guard the cave. It was almost funny how the Alpha put up so much security, when he was known to hold a grudge against humans for some unknown reason.

“Oh, don’t call her that. That’s the same as if they put you in a cage and called you the animal or something.” Chanyeols voice said. “Besides, she’s not even like the others.”

“Orders are orders.” The Delta said. “So either you two get out of here before I change my mind, or I’ll have to force you to leave.”

“I don’t give a damn about your stupid orders!” Kai roared, and even without seeing them, Sehun knew that Chanyeol rolled his eyes at the others stupidity. “Let me through!”

Now Sehun had to roll his eyes too. When Kai got mad, he was the most unreasonable person ever, not to mention that he did everything without thinking.

“What makes you think you can talk like that to a Delta?” A new voice joined in on the conversation. It didn’t sound too happy.

“I couldn’t care less about your rankings. Let me through now before I end up doing something we’ll both wish didn’t happen.”

“Oh dear Lupus.” Chanyeols voice said, not very loud, just barely audible for Sehuns ears. “Kai don’t do anything reckless. Just think of what Avry would say if she found out that you did.”

Silence followed in the next seconds while Sehun waited for Kais reply. A reply that never came. Sehun almost believed that Kai pulled back and walked away for once. That was until a loud crash echoed off the walls; followed by a thump and the sound of shouts from different voices.

All Sehun could do, was stare wide-eyed at Kai as he came barging into the cave with a shocked Chanyeol behind him. The Deltas couldn’t be seen, but he knew that they weren’t far behind.

“Kai are you out of your mind?! “The Alpha will-”

“I couldn’t care less about the Alpha right now!” Kai shouted back as he came  into view. He froze for a second when his eyes went past Sehun and landed on your unconscious body on a table behind him. He stepped forward to rush over to her, when he was pushed out of the way by a panicked Chanyeol, and stumbled a few steps to regain his balance.

“Great Lupus! What happened to my little Avry?!” Chanyeol rushed past Sehun, who was too surprised to react, and took your lifeless hand while he looked at you with a mixture of shock, horror, sorrow and confusion.

Chanyeol had become your overly protective and worried big brother during the time you had spent together. He was always the first to notice when something bothered you, and always the one who checked if you were sick if you didn’t look too well. He was almost like a wolf-version of Tao. Mixed together with the smile he always wore, he became a very close person to you.

“Why didn’t you tell me about this?” He continued with his eyes still glued to your limp body.

“What did you expect me to do?” Sehun said with a sigh as he turned around and stood across Kai who had walked over to the table and placed himself at the opposite side of the table than Chanyeol. “She came here, found me, and the next second she just passed out. I caught her before she hit the ground, and she was burning up. So I took her here and convinced Cyrus to examine her.”

“And?” Chanyeol asked as he dipped the cloth on your forehead in a bowl of cold water, twisted it and placed it back at your forehead. “What did he say?”

Sehun bit the inside of his cheek. Cyrus’ diagnosis hadn’t been positive. He didn’t want to tell the other. Didn’t want to make them feel as scared as he did. He knew they would find out eventually, but no one wanted to be the bringer of sad news. Not even him, who could be a coldhearted brat at times, even towards the ones closest to him.

“Sehun, tell me.” Kai said calmly as he stared into the youngers’ eyes. “What did Cyrus say?”

Sehun let out a sigh. There was no way he would be able to keep his mouth shut for long anyways, so he might as well just tell them and get done with it.

“When I placed her on the table, a spider crawled out from her hair.” He started and looked at the two boys in front of him that looked at him as if they were kids and he were telling a really exiting bedtime story. “On her neck, she had bite marks. Cyrus caught the spider before it got away. He said she had been bitten by it and that…”

Sehun stopped and looked down at you. You looked like you were dead, and he would have believed that you were, if it wasn’t for the small movements in your chest that indicated that you were breathing.

“And what, Sehun?” Chanyeol asked impatiently.

“He said that it was an Atrax-spider.” Sehun said, and both Kais and Chanyeols eyes widened as they progressed the information.

Atrax-spiders weren’t the smallest or biggest spiders you could find. They didn’t usually wander in this type of forest; so that one bit you came as a surprise. Normally a spider bite would make you fall sick with a fever or cramps for a few days or hours, but the Atrax-spider had a stronger venom than most other spiders. A venom that was strong enough to kill a human.

“They’re going to help her right? Cyrus always cures everyone, he going to make her better right?” Chanyeol said with a shaky voice.

Kai was too shocked to speak. He sat down next to you, still holding your hand that he had taken a hold on when he came over next to you, and stared blankly in front of him while his brain tried to process the things that were happening.

“He’s talking with the Alpha and the council members now. They’re going to decide whether he’s going to help her or not. And then they’ll decide our punishment for hiding her for so long.” Sehun replied quietly while looking down on the ground before his feet.

“But they’re going to help her right? I mean, they can’t just let her die. They couldn’t do that. They wouldn’t.” Chanyeol spoke, mostly to himself, before looking up at Sehun. “Right?”

Sehun let out a sigh and shook his head before he looked at you with sorrowful eyes.

“I guess we’ll just have to wait.”

 

The three of them waited for what seemed like forever, before Cyrus came back together with the Alpha and some of the council three of the council members. By then, all three of the boys were slumping against the table while staring mindlessly out in the air.

At the sound of the approaching footsteps, they all looked up and stood up as they entered the cave. Normally, they would show respect for the higher ranked persons in front of them, but all the formalities would have to wait.

“Can you save her?” Kai spoke up as soon as Cyrus stopped by another table covered with different herbs and medicines. Cyrus kept doing what he was doing and pretended not to hear Kais question. Silence followed for a little while before he nodded for himself and turned around to face the others in the room.

“We have decided to help her.” He said with a calm voice. All three of them let out sighs of relief and tiny smiles started to form on their faces.

“However,” Cyrus continued and snapped them back to reality. “I can’t.”

“What?” Kai almost shouted at him.

“Kai, calm down.” Chanyeol said with a calm voice. His smile had disappeared and sadness started to fill his face again. However, Kai ignored him and continued his loud questioning.

“What do you mean you can’t? You’re the best healer in the entire forest!”

Cyrus let out a sigh and shook his head. He had expected a reaction like this.

“Yes, I know that I am well known for my abilities, and that it’s not without reason.” He said calmly as he looked at Kai with the same calmness as his voice. “Do notice that I said that we had decided to help her. Do know that there is nothing I would like to do more, than to save this poor girl on the table in front of us. However, without the right medications, there isn’t much I can do besides making the pain ease a little.”

Kai nodded slowly. He didn’t want to believe his ears, but he had no other choice. He hardly knew anything except the basics when it came to medications, and if the expert said that it wasn’t much to do, then it wasn’t. He would just have to face it.

 

You tried to open your eyes. Your eyelids felt heavier than ever before. Your head was hurting, and you felt like your entire body was on fire. To say it short: you felt like .

You let out a weak groan at the pulsating pain in your head and tried to force your eyes open. You managed to open them a little, just enough to see a tiny streak of light. You could hear voices around you. They were all too muffled for you to understand anything, but some of them seemed familiar. You tried to focus, and slowly managed to open your eyes.

The room around you was all blurred. You couldn’t make out anything except three silhouettes above you that blocked some of the strong light. They said something, but you couldn’t make out anything else than your name. You furrowed your brows and focused all your strength on sharpening your senses.

“Avry, can you hear me? Are you okay?” A voice that sounded familiar to Chanyeols said.

“Cha-Chanyeol?” You stuttered while focusing on one of the silhouettes in front of you. Slowly, the blur disappeared and Chanyeols face appeared clearly in front of you. A smile pulled at the corners of your mouth. It wasn’t a big smile, but it was big enough for Chanyeol to see.

He nodded and squeezed your hand as a smile spread across his face. “I’m here Avry. You don’t have to be afraid of anything. I’m looking out for you, remember?”

“I missed you.” You voice came out as a whisper, but nonetheless it made Chanyeol smile even more and tears of joy started to form in his eyes.

“I missed you too Avry.” He said as he looked down at you with a smile. You turned your head towards the second silhouette. A new smile greeted you as Sehuns face looked down at you.

“You’re awake…” He said as his smile softened at the tiny smile that you sent him. “Don’t worry, everything will be alright. Cyrus is going to make you better, and then you’ll be able to live here with us instead of one of those boring and lonely caves.”

You nodded weakly and shifted your gaze to the last silhouette. You already knew who it was. It wasn’t exactly a hard guess, and you could feel a warm feeling spread inside your chest as Kais smiling face looked down at you. He lifted up your hand that he was holding, and kissed it.

“Didn’t I tell you not to do anything stupid while I was gone?” He said as he let his fingers away some strands of hair from your face.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…” You said with your weak voice and watched as his eyes softened even more than they already had.

“It’s alright.” He said and kissed your hand again. “The only thing that matters now is to get you back on your feet again.”

Chanyeol stood up and turned towards Cyrus. He had been standing quietly together with the others and observed the scene in front of him.

“You said that you didn’t have all the medications you needed.” Chanyeol said. It wasn’t a question, but more like a state of facts. Cyrus nodded. “Then what do you need? Name it. I doesn’t matter what it is, we’ll find it and bring it back to you before it’s too late.”

You felt touched by Chanyeols words. You would have done the same for any of them, and deep down, you already knew that they would do what they could for you too. You smiled a little as the warm feeling in your chest spread even more. It wasn’t like the burning heat that you felt in the rest of your body, but a nice and soothing heat that made you relax.

“It’s not that simple. To cure her, I’ll need an antidote for Atrax-poison. I don’t have all the ingredients, and even if I did, I wouldn’t be able to save her.” Cyrus said with something that reminded of sadness in his voice.

“Why not?” Sehun asked. He was confused. If Cyrus had all the ingredients, why wouldn’t he be able to save her?

“Because the antidote takes time to make. If you against all odds were to bring me the rest of the ingredients I need to make the antidote before she died, I wouldn’t be able to make an antidote that would help, before her time ran out.” Cyrus let out a sigh and looked at the three boys that surrounded the table you were laying on with sad eyes. “I’m sorry boys, but unless you have an already finished antidote, then there’s nothing I could do.”

“A-Atrax-poison?” You asked, but your voice was too weak for Cyrus to hear. You tugged at Sehuns sleeve and made him bend down so he could hear what you said.

“Did he say Atrax-poison?” You whispered in his ear.

“Yes.” Sehun said as calmly as he could manage. “We need an antidote to make you better, but we don’t have one, and making one will take too long time.”

“There are some…” You let the end of the sentence vanish into the air as your brain started to work through your memories.

“What? There are some what?”

“In the village…” You mumbled. “Last year, Suho was bitten. We had to but medicine from the capitol, and once the once we sent out came back, it was almost too late…”

“What do you mean? Are there more of the antidote left in the village?” Sehun eagerly asked to which you nodded your head weakly. You eyelids were getting heavier, and you struggled to keep awake.

“Suho survived. There should be some more left.” You said as you eyelids slowly closed. “Maybe there is enough…”

You didn’t have enough strength left to keep talking, and fell asleep again. Sehun looked at the others with hope filling his eyes.

“Did you hear that?” He asked eagerly. “She said there might be some left!”

“Left of what?” Chanyeol said confused. He hadn’t been able to hear anything else than Sehuns part of the conversation.

“The antidote! The villagers used it last year to heal someone, and there might be some left of it!” Sehun said more and more eagerly for each word before he turned towards the healer. “Do you think it could work?”

“If you could get the antidote from the villagers, and bring it back here by the end of the week, she’ll might have a chance to survive…” Cyrus mumbled before he spun around and walked back to the table with the herbs on. He sorted out some of them while mumbling to himself before he turned around with a smile. “I will mix up a medicine for her to slow the poison in her system from spreading too fast. If you can bring me the antidote by the end of this week, I am almost certain that I will be able to make her recover within the next full moon!”

“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s get going!” Kai said and was just about to leave, when Chanyeol signaled for him to stop and looked towards the Alpha. If they wanted to leave for the village, they would need his permission for it first. Even though Kai had already done it once without permission, they had to ask before they left.

“May Lupus watch over you and help you reach your goal.” He said, and with that the here of them ran out of the cave as fast as their legs could carry them, changed into wolves, and headed for the village.

* * * * *

And here's another update! Now you know what happened to Avry!

I had to search up what spiders could kill humans, and trust me that was not fun. I don't have a phobia against them, or freak out when I find one in my room, but to be honest I can't handle spiders very well. And if any of you know more than I do about spiders and knows that the information that I've used in this chapter is wrong, then I apologize. I found the info on Wikipedia, and I know that all info there can't be trusted. I've experienced that the info was wrong before, so I know that.

And to those of you who doesn't know what a Delta is: A delta is the third highest ranked member in a wolf pack. There's the Alpha on the top, second comes the Beta and the Delta is third. Deltas can train to become Betas, but can choose to stay as Deltas.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter and look forward to the next update where we'll meet Tao and Luhan and the others from the village! ^^

Please don't be a silent reader, and leave a comment for me to read. If you like the story, why don't subscribe or give it an upvote? it's really apreciated. I also apologize if there's a lot of grammar errors in this chapter, but I haven't had time to edit yet.

Love you all ~