13

The Wolf

You woke up as a ray of sunlight hit your face. You took in a deep breath and started stretching yourself, but quickly curled back into a ball as you felt the pains from yesterday. You squinted your eyes and looked around you. You were still in the cave, just one thing was missing and that was Sehun. Sehun had disappeared while you were asleep. You furrowed you brows as you thought about where he could have gone.

“Maybe he’s out looking for the others…” You mumbled to yourself. You managed to stand up and halt over to the opening. As you reached it, you lifted your arm to defend your eyes against the merciless sunrays. You smiled a little as you saw some birds flying around and playfully doing tricks in the air.

“How lucky they are.” You thought aloud. “They can just fly away whenever they want, and explore the world with almost nothing to stop them.”

You let out a sigh as you watched them fly around. As you followed them, your eyes landed upon a group of wolves. You smiled and almost raised your hand to wave and call out to them, but then you realized that the wolves weren’t your friends. They were strangers. Wolves you hadn’t seen before; and wolves that could belong to either of the packs you were avoiding.

You quickly spun around and halted back into the cave as fast as possible. The pain in your ankle made you want to cry, but you knew you had to keep quiet. No matter what happened, you had to stay hidden until one of the boys came back and told you otherwise. You sat down when you had walked far enough and leaned back against the wall while you prayed to all the Gods you had heard of that they hadn’t seen you.

You kept waiting patiently for anyone to enter the cave, whether it was the strangers or your friends, but as time went by no one came. You started to get impatient and wanted to go check if anyone was nearby, but as you thought about it you figured it was better not to. You couldn’t know if the wolves were still near the cave. For all you knew they could be walking towards the cave right now. It was just something you couldn’t risk. You let out another sigh and decided to just wait until someone found you.

 

Not too far away from the cave, Kai was on his way to losing his mind. Not long after you had split up, he and Chanyeol had met the other wolves. The two of them had worked as bite and led them as far away from Sehun as they could. After running for what seemed like forever, they had been spotted by some of the scouts from their own pack, and together with some other wolves they had come to their rescue. While the other wolves had been chased back to their own territory, Kai and Chanyeol had silently been escorted back to their own home. The place they had been avoiding for so long and they had been there since.

The next morning Sehun had been seen when he was hunting for food to bring back to Avry while he was also searching for signs of Kai and Chanyeol. Sehun didn’t want to expose anything, so he had just gone along with the story that they had split up while running from the other wolves. Neither of the boys liked the story, they thought it made them sound like cowards, but if it was the only way to not reveal the person they were hiding, they decided to go along with it for now.

They had all felt uncomfortable and felt a strong desire to leave the place as quickly as possible, but with all the things that was going on for the moment, they wouldn’t be able to just leave like they used too. They would be watched or followed by one of the scouts to make sure nothing happened, and then they wouldn’t be able to check up on you anyways.

“I have to get out of here!” Kai growled as he punched his fist into the trunk of a tree next to him. Sehun looked up at him and let out a sigh before he shook his head.

“Sure.” He said with a voice dripping of sarcasm. “Just go. Feel free to just leave out of the blue. Why don’t you just go and check up on Avry, and while you’re at it, you can tell everyone that we’ve been hiding her from them!”

Kai turned his head towards Sehun. His eyes had started to change color. A sign that he was losing his temper. Even though they could decide when they wanted to change, some things could make them turn against their will. It wasn’t like in the werewolf stories where they changed every full moon. That never bothered them, but just like there were herbs that could temporarily trap them in their human form, there were also those with the effect of trapping them in their wolf form.

Anger was another problem. Normal humans could get so angry that they lost control of what they did and did all kinds of thing that they regretted the next day. For them it was somewhat the same. Getting to angry would also cause them to lose control, but instead of punching some annoying drunk guy in the face, they were more likely to turn into wolves and rip his head off instead. They simply just lost control and then their body would turn by itself. The best alternative was always to just walk away when you could feel your instincts taking over.

Sehun looked at Kai. He knew he was angry, and he knew that Kai had lost it before, but he wasn’t scared of him. It could have been because they were surrounded by so many others that would help him in less than a second if Kai tried to attack him, but it wasn’t because of that. It was because Sehun trusted him, and he had done that for a so long time that he no longer feared that something bad would happen to him in case Kai lost control.

Sehun kept looking straight at him with a cocked eyebrow and his arms crossed over his chest. Kai stared back at him, and just when it looked like he would do something he shouldn’t, he turned around and punched the tree again. He let his fist stay on the tree and leaned after it. He let out a sigh and started to calm down before he spoke.

“At least tell me how she was when you left.” He said calmly without looking up. Sehun thought a little before he answered, not sure if he should tell Kai about the accident the day before.

“She was sleeping peacefully.” He said after figuring that it would be best not to tell him yet.

“So she’s fine?” Kai asked, and once again, Sehun got unsure about what he should answer. He had no problems when it came to telling a few simple lies now and then, but lying to his friends was something he hated to do.

“She had a few scratches.” He said after a few seconds of thinking, before quickly adding: “Nothing she won’t survive.”

Kai nodded and straightened up again. “We have to find a way to get out of here. If the patrols or scouts finds her, she’s done. Especially after those idiots entered our territory. They’ll think she’s one of them, hiding and waiting for the right time to return, and they’ll kill her without even thinking.”

“And that’s why we’re going to make sure it doesn’t happen.” Chanyeol said as he came towards them. Kai and Sehun looked up and saw their friend coming towards them with a face that was mixed between serious and happy.

“What do you mean?” Sehun asked and looked confused at the older. “We can’t just walk out of here like we normally do.”

“I know.” Chanyeol said and smiled a little at the younger ones in front of him. “That’s why I signed us up for patrol duty.”

“You did what?” Sehun said shocked. “You know I hate that! Nothing ever happens, and all you end up with is walking around and try not to be bored to death.”

“I know that too.” Chanyeol said. “But it’s the only way to get out of here without raising any questions.”

“Then all three of us will go?” Kai said and walked closed to the two others so that they didn’t have to speak to loud about their plans.

“Yes, but only one of us is going to see Avry.” Chanyeol answered and pulled out an old map over their own and the surrounding territories. “We’re assigned to different areas. Sehun and I will patrol further north, around here.” He said and circled his finger around the area he was talking about. “But you Kai, you’re assigned to this area together with someone else who’s already out there. If Avry is still in the cave, all you have to do is find the one you’ll be patrolling with and split the area between you so that you get the cave. After that you can visit her and stay close in case something happens until your shift is done.”

“Wow…” Sehun said with amazement. “Since when did you become so smart?”

Chanyeol quickly turned his head to Sehun and raised his eyebrow. “What do mean ‘since when’? I’ve always been!”

“Sure, whatever you say.” Sehun mumbled and was just about to receive a punch in the back of his head when Kai jumped in.

“When do we leave?” He asked to get Chanyeol’s attention away from punching Sehun.

“Right now.” He said and folded the map in his hands. “Good luck. And don’t forget to say hi and give her a hug.” Chanyeol said and smiled at him before he turned around and walked away. Sehun looked at Kai again and nodded. “Tell her I’m sorry for leaving when she was sleeping.”

Kai nodded and then the two of them turned around and walked their separate ways. The only thought going through Kai’s mind was to get to Avry as soon as possible.

* * * * *

This chapter is a little short, but I just wanted to give you all a quick update before going away for the next week. So this will most likely be my last chapter in 2013 since I'm going with my family to our cabin for the rest of the year.

Please keep reading, commenting, subscribing and voting and

Happy New Years everyone! ^^