17

The Wolf

 

Silence filled the air as the two boys glared at each other. Neither of them moved nor spoke. It was as if they communicated and argued through their eyes. You looked at Kai. He didn’t say anything, and all his focus was turned towards Lay. He didn’t have a particularly angry expression, but the vein on the side of his neck told you more than his facial expressions did.

Your eyes then shifted towards Lay. Unlike Kai, he looked rather calm. His entire body showed no signs of anger or desire to rip Kai to shreds. Only his eyes gave him away; they were slightly narrowed and shot invisible daggers towards Kai.

Your eyes shifted from one boy to another. You didn’t know if you should speak up or just keep quiet. Do something or just stay still and wait. Both had different consequences, some good and some that you really wanted to avoid.

You had just made up your mind and opened your mouth to say something when a change in the air caught your attention. You looked at the two boys again and blinked your eyes a few times to be sure what you saw was true and not just your mind playing around with you.

“Ehh… Kai?” You carefully asked as you looked up at him. His eyes had changed from their warm brown color to the yellow color of his wolf eyes. You quickly turned your head towards Lay as you heard a growl from him. His eyes had also changed color, and his ears were getting pointier.

“Guys?” You said carefully. You didn’t want to get their attention, but you knew you had to stop them before things got out of hand. As expected, they both ignored you. You shifted your gaze between the two boys who looked less like boys and more like wolves for each passing second. You knew you had to stop them before they were fully transformed. Once they turned in to wolves, you wouldn’t be able to do anything.

You looked around for something that could help you, anything would do, but you found nothing. When you looked back at the boys, your eyes widened. The two of them were growling at each other, both of them almost fully transformed. Their faces were twisted, due to both the transformation and the anger, and both their eyes glowed with hatred and a desire to rip the other into shreds.

You cursed under your breath as you took a few steps backwards. You knew most wolves had very good control of themselves when they were in their wolf forms, but Sehun had told you that sometimes when their anger became too great, their vision would go black and their inner wolf would take over, and then they would no longer be in control of what they did.

The two boys in front of you could no longer be called boys. Now they had turned into giant wolves that kept growling at each other and hurling invisible daggers with their eyes. You knew there was nothing you could do, yet you couldn’t let them fight. You knew that once one of them attacked the other, they wouldn’t stop before the other was knocked to the ground and stopped moving.

“Both of you calm down!” You said in a desperate attempt to stop them before they started to fight. You almost smiled in relief when they stopped growling and you let out a little sigh before Lay growled again. Kais reaction to that was a bark and after that, they both jumped at each other.

The two of them started battling for dominance. They rolled around on the ground while clawing and biting each other and doing their best to cause as great damage to the other as possible. Kais jaw got a hold of Lays neck, but Lay quickly pushed him of by clawing at his chest. Kai let out a small whimper from the scratches as a few drops of red hit the ground underneath him.

Lay took this as an opportunity and jumped at him, determined to finish the battle with a bite in Kais neck now that he wasn’t focused. Kai on the other hand, heard Lay coming and reacted just quick enough to avoid his attack.

You couldn’t do anything but stare at the two giant wolves that was now standing on their hind legs while trying to bite the other ones head off. You weren’t even sure whom you were cheering for, as you wanted neither of them to lose. Kai was the one you knew the best. He had looked out for you and made sure you were safe. It had all resulted with you bonding a strong friendship with him.

Lay was someone you didn’t know too well. Actually, you had met him less than 24 hours ago. Still you didn’t want him to lose either. You thought he was a kindhearted person. He had even helped you with your ankle. You didn’t trust him completely, and after seeing the way Kai reacted to him, you got a bit more suspicious towards him. Even though you still didn’t want him to lose either, since you knew the one who loosed wouldn’t be in a too great condition.

To your very dismay, neither of them seemed willing to give up or stop fighting. You were starting to give up on the hope of them stopping without you having to do something you didn’t want to.

“Kai! Lay! Stop fighting! Both of you!” You yelled at them, but again they ignored you. You let out a deep sigh and shook your head slightly. Your eyes landed on a rock on the ground at the size of your palm. You bent down and picked it up. You looked at it for a few seconds before nodding to yourself.

“I’m sorry, but this is about the only thing I can do.” You said in hope that they heard you, before you threw the rock at them as hard as you could.

You weren’t sure if you were lucky, or just extremely unlucky to have hit both the wolves’ jaws at the same time, as they were both about to bite down on the other. Either way, it worked; because now both of their heads were turned towards you.

You gulped as they both started to move towards you, as if they had totally forgotten about each other. They slowly moved towards you, their lips curled upwards and showed off their pearly white fangs. Your body started to shake a little as Sehuns words echoed through your head.

“Keeping you away from our own pack until the time is right is important, but it’s even more important to stay away from other packs and stray wolves. Our own pack might spare you and give you a chance to get back to your family, but a wolf from the outside wouldn’t hesitate to jump at you and kill you, even if he was alone and the three of us were beside you.”

Lay was an outsider, and that gave him no attachments to either you or Kai. Nothing to hold him back from ripping you apart.
Kai on the other hand seemed to have lost his mind and let his inner wolf take over. Normally you knew that he would never hurt you, but now you started to fear for your own life.

You took a step back as the huge animals approached you. Their eyes were fixated on you and followed your every move as you slowly walked backwards to get away from them. It was as if they had totally forgotten about the hatred they felt towards each other and started to focus on a common enemy; you.

Fear took over your body as your back hit the stonewall behind you. Your breath quickened as their growls increased. Your heartbeat increased to the point where you worried that it would jump out of your chest. You could feel a lump in your throat that made you feel sick, and no matter how hard you tried to swallow it down, it kept growing and crawling upwards.

A silent tear fell from your eye as the wolves lowered their bodies and snarled at you. You knew what would come next. So this is how it ends? You thought. Killed and ripped apart by giant wolves. One that helped me to endure my pains and even helped me on my way to make it better. And one that I actually came to befriend and grow fond of. Who would have thought that?

You looked at the two wolves in front of you again. Searching for any sign of humanity in their eyes, but the only thing you could see was the animal that controlled them. The animal that followed its instincts to eliminate any intruders and dangers to their pack. The animal that thought of you as a prey, and not as a person.

Please. Please don’t do this.

Another tear trailed down your cheek as you closed your eyes and waited for one of them to attack you. You hoped for a quick death. Hoped that it would all be over quickly, without any unbearable pains. You held your breath as you heard a bark and expected to be knocked down in the following second. However, it never happened.

You slowly opened your eyes and they widened at the sigh in front of you. In front of you stood a big black wolf. The wolf was facing away from you and towards the wolf, which you knew was Lay. You immediately knew it was Kai. What you didn’t know was how or why he was protecting you from Lay.

Maybe he just wants me for himself, so that he can have all the fun of ripping me apart for himself. You silently thought. You didn’t really want to believe that, but when you thought about how he looked just seconds ago, it was the only reason that really made sense.

Lay started growling again, and Kai barked at him, as if warning him not to do something stupid, while he pushed his chest forward and stretched his legs out to their fullest potential, making him look even bigger and more threatening than he already did.

Lay looked hesitant for a second before he gave off a snarl, before he backed away a little. You looked at the two of them, waiting for them to turn back so that you could smack their heads together and yell at them for being so stupid and childish.

After a while both of them had changed, back to their human forms and were silently starring at each other. You let out a sigh, at least they weren’t fighting anymore, and that was better than nothing. You walked over to them and hit both of their heads.

“Hey!” They both said as they put a hand at the back of their heads where you had hit them.

“What was that for?” Kai said with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

 “For fighting like two idiots and for making me believe I was going to die!” You answered with hint of anger in your voice as you crossed your arms and glared at the both of them.

“It wasn’t me fault!” They both said in unison and pointed at each other. “He started!”

You couldn’t help but to roll your eyes at their childish behavior. They were acting just like two children who had just been caught fighting over something small and pointless that at the moment meant the world to them, but would be forgotten after ten minutes. They were hopeless.

“I don’t care who started! The thing I care about is how you two tried to rip each other apart just minutes ago, before you made me your target and scared the blue Jesus out of me!” You said and eyed the both of them. They blinked at you, slightly confused and surprised at your sudden outburst.

“Avry, we didn’t mean to-” Lay started, but you quickly cut him off.

“Don’t bother. I’m not in the mood for apologies and meaningless explanations.” You said with a monotone voice before you let out a sigh. “Just go okay? Lay you should get back to your pack before they get too worried about you, and you too Kai. I bet Chanyeol and Sehun are already pacing around while wondering why you’re taking so long.”

The two boys looked at each other. Even though Lay didn’t know you, he still didn’t want to leave you alone like this. He already felt bad enough for scaring you like that. In addition, you had a point when you mentioned his pack. He had been gone longer than planned, and he knew that if he didn’t return soon, they would send people out to search for him, which could only cause troubles. He let out a sigh and nodded.

Kai didn’t want to leave you either. He felt guilty for scaring you like that. He didn’t like the feeling of guilt, it made him feel bad. To be honest he had lost control, and just knowing how far it almost went, made his anger rise up on the inside. He covered it up as best he could.

 

“You’re right.” Lay said and nodded. “I guess they’re pretty worried right now. I better get going.”

He gave you a smile that showed off his dimples, before he turned around and headed towards the opening of the cave. You looked at his back, before you surprised yourself by walking after him.

“Lay.” You said as you approached him. He stopped at the sound of his name and turned around only to be met by your hug. At first, he wasn’t sure how to react, but then he smiled a little and returned the hug.

“Thank you for helping me with my ankle.” You said without looking at him, afraid that you would blush of embarrassment if you did.

“It’s nothing.” He replied and patted your head carefully. “Thank you for letting me stay.”

You nodded and looked up at him. “Be careful, okay? And get back to your family quickly so they won’t worry too much.”

Lay nodded, and smiled a little at your sudden change of behavior before he hugged you again. Kai stood still and looked at the two of you. He didn’t like the way you hugged him so easily. You were too naïve. Kai didn’t trust Lay, he had his reasons of course, but he knew there was little point in telling you yet. You would only call him childish and say that he needed to grow up. Therefore, he didn’t do anything but stand still and prepare to rip out Lays throat if he tried to do something.

Your hug ended and Lay turned around to leave again. He was almost outside when your eyes widened as a thought hit you. “Lay!” You called out again. He turned around and looked confused at you.

“You won’t tell anyone right? About me?” You said worriedly. You knew you would have to come forward someday, but as long as you were told that the time for whatever you were waiting for wasn’t there yet, you wanted to stay hidden.

The corners of Lays mouth slowly moved upwards as he shook his head a little. “You let me stay even though you knew I didn’t belong here and that I would have nothing to stop me from killing you in a matter of seconds. Even when I almost did, you’re still kind to me. Keeping your presence a secret is the least I can do. My mouth is sealed.”

“Thank you.” You said with a smile of relief. Lay returned your smile before waiving at you and disappearing into the world outside.

* * * * *

First of all I just want to apologise for taking so long to update, again.

I've been having so much schoolwork with presentations and essays and tests and all that I didnt have time to write anything. When that had finally past I managed to get a concusion and that kept me away from the computer until now. I'm really sorry and I hope that you can forgive me! I will become better at giving faster updates from now on!

And for those of you who have been wanting more Kai-Avry moments: You can look forward to the next chapter!

I got more subscribers and upvotes even though I didn't update! I'm so happy I don't think I know how to express myself! It really makes my day to logg in and see that you guys have subscribed and voted! It makes me want to write even though I don't have time for it.

Think we can reach 100 subscribers before chapter 20? I hope so!

I'm not very confident at writing fightingscenes, so if it's a bit bad then I apologise. Please don't be a silent reader and leave some feedback to let me know what you like and what I should work more on. ^^

Love you all ~