12

The Wolf

You looked at the two boys in front of you. The look in their eyes together with the information they had just given you made you scared. For the whole time you had been with them, you had not seen them as worried as this before, for a moment you thought you could even see a flash of fear wash over their eyes. Kai looked at Chanyeol, who looked back at Kai. Neither of them said a word as you could see their ears grow longer and pointier until they looked like wolf ears; they twitched slightly, before they stilled and both their gazes were directed towards you.

“Avry” Chanyeol said with serious voice. All signs of the always happy and smiling guy was gone, and it almost freaked you out a little. You had never seen him like this before. The happy friendliness was not just gone from his voice, but also from his eyes and his entire body. He almost looked intimidating. “Get on Sehun’s back.”

You looked at him for a few seconds while hesitating. Neither he nor Kai had changed yet, and it gave you a bad feeling. “Now!” He growled and you almost jumped at the sudden anger in his voice. You turned around quickly to see Sehun laying on the ground and looking up at you.

You climbed up on his back and he immediately stood up. As he started to move, you gripped onto his fur and looked at the two others who was still in their human form. You opened your mouth to ask why they were not changing, but before you could even utter a single sound Sehun started to run.

You tightened your grip on his fur and bent down closer to his back so that you wouldn’t fall off. You turned your head just in time to see Chanyeol and Kai disappear between the trees and rocks. The last look on their faces were a mix of worry, anger and something you though was regret.

“Sehun stop!” You yelled at him. “Why aren’t they coming? We can’t just leave without them!” You kept yelling at him, but he acted as if he didn’t hear you and just kept running. You let out a growl of frustration as you buried your face in his fur and tightened the grip you had on his fur as you clutched your hands into fists; knowing that there was nothing you could do but to hold on and wait for Sehun to reach wherever you were going.

You stayed like this for a while, just waiting for Sehun to stop so he could answer all the questions in your mind. Everything just felt so surreal. First, a wolf kidnapped you, and then the wolf turned out to be a boy who lived together with two other boys that also were wolves, a little away from the rest of the wolf pack that they belonged to. Then you ended up travelling with them to places you did not even know where were; and now you were clinging on to the fur of a huge wolf while you were riding through the forest in an attempt to escape some other wolves that most likely wanted you dead.

You ended up getting lost in a stream of thoughts, but you suddenly got pulled back to reality when Sehun made a sharp turn. You hadn’t been paying attention to your surroundings and therefore hadn’t seen the turn before it came upon you and made you fly of Sehun’s back and through the air before you landed on the ground with a heavy thump. The impact knocked most of the air out of your lungs, and you gasped for air as you rolled down the hill. Leafs and mud stuck to you hair and face and made your clothes dirty and moist. You tried to raise your hands to protect your face, and just managed to do so before you crashed into the trunk of a big tree. The last thing you were aware of before the impact was a loud bark from not too far away, and in your ears, it almost sounded like your name being called out.

The world kept spinning around as you held your hands on each side of your head and tried to make it stop while you coughed and gasped for air. The impact with the tree had knocked what was left of the air in your lungs out of you. Waves of pain pulsated through your body and made you feel nauseous. You rolled on to your side and started to cough, while you felt like you would throw up any second. Luckily you didn’t, and soon you felt something warm and wet over you check. You looked up and saw Sehun standing beside you. He bent down and your check again before he looked at you with big worried eyes.

Despite all the pain, you forced a smile, and stretched out a hand and scratched him a little behind his left ear. “I’m fine” You said, and got surprised at how weak your voice sounded.

You shifted your weight and supported one of your hands on the tree you had crashed into before you slowly tried to stand up. A jolt of pain shot through your ankle and with a whimper, you quickly lifted your foot from the ground and got out of balance. Luckily, Sehun had been watching you all the time and quickly placed himself next to you and supported you before you fell. You smiled a little at him as your arm laid around his neck.

“Thank you.” You said and continued your struggle to stand up on your feet. Once you had regained your balance, Sehun laid back down on the ground and allowed you to climb up on his back. Once you were seated, he turned his head to look at you and you nodded and gave him another smile. “I’m ready to go.”

Sehun did something that looked like a nod, before he turned his head back and stood up before he slowly started walking up the hill you had rolled down. When he reached the top he started walking a little faster, but he didn’t start to run yet. He kept a pace that wasn’t fast nor slow, but somewhere in between. Multiple times, you had to clench your teeth and force yourself to keep quiet as pain washed through your body. Even though you knew that Sehun was aware of the fact that you were in pain, you didn’t want to worry him more than necessary.

Soon you were exhausted and almost fell asleep on his back. You tried to force yourself to stay awake, but as the time went by, you eyelids started to get heavier and heavier, and soon the pain and exhaustion was too much to bear.

“Sehun…” You said, your voice filled with exhaustion. “Are we there soon?” You waited a little for him to answer, but when he didn’t you wanted to facepalm yourself. He was a wolf, and you both knew that you couldn’t speak wolf. “I need to rest.” You said instead. “My ribs are killing me.”

Sehun nodded and quickened his pace a little. You just leaned back down into his fur and took it as a sign that you were almost there. You closed your eyes and drifted off to somewhere between consciousness and asleep. Meanwhile, Sehun started to get worried. Not just because of you, but because he hadn’t heard anything from Kai or Chanyeol. Not a single howl or any other sign that told him that they were okay. He had absolutely no clue about the whereabouts of his friends or the other wolves from the other pack.

They hadn’t agree on a meeting place in case something went wrong. They had been discussing it countless times when they sat around the fire in the middle of the night while Avry was asleep. They didn’t want to talk about it in daytime or around Avry, afraid that it might make her scared or nervous. They had talked about three places. Each of them were as safe and as dangerous as the others. Of course, they knew that no place was completely safe, that is why they kept travelling from place to place, but some places were safer than others, and that’s what made it into a debate.

He let out a sigh as he kept walking. He had carried Avry for quite a long distance now. She wasn’t heavy, not for him, but it still tired him out. He knew he could keep going for at least two more hours, but Avry needed to rest, and a little bit of resting wouldn’t hurt him either.

He stopped for a split second and looked around at the landscape. It looked pretty much like the rest of the forest, but there were small things here and there that he used to find out where he was. He smiled a little when he figured that you weren’t too far away from one of the places that had been in the debate for meeting places. He could wait there, and then the two others would eventually show up when they checked the places they could be.

Sehun continued walking and shortly after, he could see the hidden road that led to the cave. He looked around before entering; making sure that no one saw them. When he entered, he barked silently to tell that you had arrived.

You heard a distinct bark and slowly raised your head as you came back from your slumber. You looked around and realized that you were inside a cave. You straightened up a little as Sehun laid down on the ground so you could climb off his back. You climbed off and sat down with your back leaning against the stonewall behind you.

As soon as you leaned back, Sehun turned back to his human form. It always amazed you to see the boys transform. To see how their bodies grew or shrunk and completely changed form. How the ears became pointy or round and how their eyes changed color. It always fascinated you, no matter how many times you saw it.

The second Sehun completed his transformation he rushed over to your side and crouched down beside you. “Are you okay?” he asked, and you couldn’t help but to be surprised by the worry in his eyes and in his voice.

“Yeah, I’m fine” You said and nodded a little. “I just need to rest a little.”

Sehun nodded a little, but his eyebrows furrowed as he looked over your body in search for injuries. You looked confused at him. Yes, you were in pain, but you didn’t have any bleeding injuries. It almost startled you when he suddenly lifted his hand to your head and brushed some hair away from your forehead. He carefully touched your forehead, and you hissed as pain shot through your head.

“You’re bleeding.” He said and stood up. “Sit still, I’ll be right back.” And with that he turned around and left. You just leaned your head back to the wall and closed your eyes. There weren’t exactly much more you could do. You waited patiently for him to come back, but as time went by you started to feel uncomfortable. You furrowed your brows and slowly opened your eyes. You looked around, but there was no sign of Sehun anywhere.

You took a deep breath before you supported your hand against the wall and slowly stood up. When you were on your feet, you breathed out and started halting towards the opening of the cave. When you reached the opening, you leaned against the rock and looked out at the world outside the cave.

The sun had started to set. You could see it just above the mountains. It had a bright shade of orange, almost red, and it turned the clouds colorful filling the sky with different shades of pink, orange, yellow and purple. You smiled a little as you looked at the beautiful scenery in front of you. You looked between the trees, but there were no signs of Sehun anywhere.  You furrowed your brows once again as you kept looking.

You decided to go back in after a while. “Maybe he’s searching for the others too…” You mumbled to yourself as you slowly made your way back into the cave. You were just about to take a break to rest your foot when you heard noises from behind you. You quickly turned around, and almost screamed when you saw the person standing less than a meter away from you.

“Oh my God Sehun!” You said as you placed a hand on your heaving chest to calm your heart that was beating rapidly as if trying to jump out of your chest. “You couldn’t have given me a warning or something?”

Sehun ignored your questions and placed his hand on your forehead again. You bit on your bottom lip as you felt the stinging pain again. When Sehun removed his hand he furrowed his brows and looked at it before he looked at your forehead and then at you.

“Why aren’t you where I left you?” He asked, and just as you were about to answer, he bent down and picked you up bridal style and started walking further into the cave. His move surprised you, and you quickly flung your arms around his neck.

“I couldn’t find any signs of the others.” Sehun said as he carried you. “Seem like I’ll have to take care of you.” He said, and as you looked up at him, he sent you a tiny smile. You immediately looked back down into his chest as you could feel a slight blush creep up from nowhere and painting your cheeks in a slightly pink color.

Even though you had known Sehun for as long as you had known the two others, you hadn’t really gotten to know him as well as the two others. However, when you thought about it, he had always been kind towards you since after the first week. The first week he had been a coldhearted brat that annoyed you to no end, but as Kai told you to be patient with him you had followed his advice and given Sehun a new chance. Shortly after, both you had started to open up towards each other, and now you were friends, very good friends to be honest.

Sehun carefully placed you back down on the ground and you let go of the grip you had around his neck. He then stood up again, and your eyes followed him as he walked further into the cave. You could hear the sound of something being ripped before you saw him coming back towards you. He then sat down, placed a cold and wet cloth to your forehead, and carefully started to wash away the dried blood. You hissed slightly as it started to sting. Sehun froze a little, before he wiped over the spot again, a little more carefully this time.

“Thank you.” You said after a while of silence. Sehun looked a little confused at you first, before he looked back your forehead. “Don’t mention it.” He simply said. Without looking at you.

“No really.” You said as you looked up at him. “You didn’t have to do this for me. You didn’t have to take me here and separate from the others, but you still did. It may not look like it, but I’m actually very thankful for all the things you guys are doing for me.” Sehun shook his head slightly at what you said.

“It’s actually not that much to thank for. To be honest, we could have just left you when we got bored and let you be eaten by other animals.” He said straight forward, and you looked up at him, a little surprised.

“Well that’s good to know” You mumbled, only to earn a chuckle from him.

“You didn’t let me finish.” Sehun said with a little smile in the corner of his lips. “We could just leave you, but we won’t. You’re like a family member now. Like a little sister, that needs her older brothers protection. I know that I’m not just talking on my own behalf when I say that we care about you. I know you miss your own friends and family, and that you might just look at us as evil kidnappers who holds you captive, but are actually much nice than the once in the stories, or if you look at us as your friends, but for us you’ve become family. And family cares for each other.”

You smiled at his little speech and without thinking, you simply hugged him. Sehun looked down at you with surprise. He hadn’t meant to make a big deal about it; he just talked without thinking through what he said. The words just came, and they were true, but the sudden hug was unexpected.

“You’re not just my kidnappers.” You said and smiled as you felt him returning your hug. “You’re much more than that. I already have one real big brother back home. He’s the one I miss the most out of all of them, but having the three of you around makes me feel safe, just like he did. I still miss him, and having one big brother has always been great, but now that I have four, I hardly think I could be happier.”

Sehun looked down at you and smiled a little as he saw you smile at him too. It was just something about you that made him happy. He didn’t know if it was you energy to go on, your always smiling face, or simply just the fact that you were special in a way that neither him nor anyone else could explain.

“Thank you.” You said again and hugged him tight for a few seconds.

“It’s nothing to thank for.” He said with a smile, and released the hug and stood up. “Now you have to sleep. It’ll help you heal faster. I’ll keep you warm and watch out for the others so don’t worry and just go to sleep.”

You smiled at him and nodded before you saw him changing back to the big wolf. He walked over to you and laid down behind you so that you could lean on him when you slept. That way he could keep an eye on the entering to the cave, and keep you warm with his fur. Not to mention that his senses was more sharpened as a wolf, even though he had abnormally sharp senses as a human too.

You smiled at him and leaned back into his soft fur. He was warm, and the fur tickled lightly as you tried to find a comfortable position. When you had settled you looked up at him and smiled. “Good Night Sehun.” You said, before you closed your eyes and fell asleep while listening to his heartbeats.