28

The Wolf

You stretched your arms up above your head and yawned loudly as you stepped out of the cave you had been sleeping in. Since the poison no longer affected you, you could walk around as you pleased as long as you had someone with you. You could also have your own cave to sleep in. Well, not exactly your own. You shared it with Hana, D.Os younger sister, which she was more than happy to do. She had kicked her own brother out with a big smile and invited you in, saying that girls should sleep with girls and boys with boys, the only exception being family and couples. However, D.O didn’t mind. He now shared another cave with Kai, Sehun and Chanyeol. It was at the far end of the den, while yours was located closer to the center.

“Good morning.” A smiling Hana greeted you as you stepped into the light of the morning sun. You squinted your eyes a little and smiled back at her while lifting your hand to cover for your eyes. “Morning.” You replied as you walked over to her. “What’s the schedule of today?”

“Nothing special. I thought we could give the boys a surprise wakeup call before dragging them off to some sort of an adventure.” Hana said with an innocent smile as she grabbed a hold of your wrist and started to drag you off. You simply just shrugged your shoulders and followed her.

 

Shortly after the two of you left the cave, the sound of loud shouting rang through the den. Several people looked around for the source of the shouting, but as laughter soon followed, most of them shrugged their shoulders believing that some of the children were just fooling around. If any of them followed the sounds to their source, they would find two girls, one leaning against the other and the other leaning against a tree, both of them clasping their stomachs while laughing so much tears fell from their eyes. They would also find the shouters. Four boys. All of them more or less drenched in cold water from the lake nearby. From there on the situation wouldn’t be hard to read. The girls had snuck into the cave while the boys were still sleeping and poured the cold water over them. The boys had of course been torn out of their sleep and jumped to their feet in surprise, only to see the two laughing girls. This was at least what Kira made out of the sight in front of her.

D.O ran after his younger sister. One could almost believe that he was raging with anger, but by looking closer, one could see a little smile in the corner of his mouth. Chanyeol was in a state somewhere between shocked and amused. Kai looked like he struggled between two choices; revenge or going back to sleep. Sehun on the other hand, looked like he wanted to murder someone, before peacefully going back to sleep.

You on the other hand, could hardly stand on your legs. Seeing their faces was funny enough, but seeing Hana being chased by D.O made it even better. She was laughing at the top of her lungs while her brother did his best to catch up with her, something he slowly did.

Your vision went blurry from the tears that started to form in your eyes. Therefore, you didn’t notice the silent glance the three remaining boys exchanged. You didn’t notice them gathering and walking towards you before they were almost right in front of you. You gulped hard and slowly started to walk backwards. As they slowly followed you with evil grins attached to their faces, you made a quick decision, turned around and ran for your life. You didn’t even have to look back to know that they were following you. You could hear them chasing after you. Still, you couldn’t stop laughing. Soon you joined up with Hana and the two of you ended up running around as if you both were completely insane.

Kira watched this mess for a little while before she descended from the big rock she was sitting on and walked towards them until she stood in the middle of the circle-looking figure you were running in. She waited patiently and after a little more running in an uneven circle, her name was called out.

“Kira.” You said and stopped in your tracks. Chanyeol almost jumped at a tree when he tried to avoid you after your sudden stop. You looked at her as she turned her head towards you and gave you a tiny smile. You hadn’t really talked to her before, but you knew who she was.

“Hey everyone.” She said as the others started to gather around. “What’s all the fuss about?”

The boys exchanged stupid glances before they all looked at Kira. Could it really be that hard to figure it out? “The girls gave us a… surprising wakeup call.” Sehun said after a few seconds of silence. Kira nodded slowly. It was a stupid question, she knew that.

“I invited Kira to spend the day with us!” Hana said to cut of the awkward silence before it grew too big. Kira simply nodded in reply.

“Well, you know what they say. The more the merrier.” You said and turned your head to Hana. “Now let’s go on that adventure you were talking about.” Hana nodded with a growing smile, and with that, the seven of you set off into the forest.

 

After walking around for a while, you stopped at the foot of a huge hill. Where you were standing there was green grass and a few cones laying around that had dropped from the trees above your heads. Further up more cones and rocks lay on the hillside, and on the top, a wall of big rocks covered the view to the other side.

“Why are we here?” You asked out of curiosity when you saw the look on the others faces. Hana seemed just fine; the others seemed insecure and a bit uncomfortable, except Kira. She seemed to be just fine about it, but at the same time, she looked anxious.

“We shouldn’t be here.” Chanyeols deep voice cut through the silence that occurred. You looked confused at him. The others seemed to know where you were. You on the other hand, had absolutely no idea. However, you did understand that Hana had led you to a place where you actually shouldn’t be. Not that it surprised you. Hana seemed like the reckless type of girl who longed for fun and adventure, even though it meant doing things that could hurt you.

“Oh come on! No one’s even going to know that we’re here!” Hana gave an innocent smile in an attempt to convince her doubting friends. “No, Hana. This is wrong and you know it. We’re going home right now!” D.O grabbed his sisters’ wrist in an attempt to lead her back, but she twisted out of his grip.

“Why? You hardly ever let me leave the den. Do you know how boring it is to walk around there all day with nothing new when you and the others run around in the forest?”

“I’m responsible for you and you know that! If you get lost in the woods or end up in trouble, I’m the one who’s responsible. And you know fully well that we don’t run around in the forest for fun. We’re working. We’re doing reconnaissance and you know that. We make sure no one crosses the border without permission and that no humans are stupid enough to wander in to our territory!” He gave you a short glance. “No offence.”

“None taken.” You replied, a little surprised by his outburst. D.O didn’t strike you as the type to yell at his sister. He seemed more like the calm type of person who would worry about her, but be too relived to see that his sister was safe to yell at her.

“I know, but you never let me do that. You never let me walk freely anywhere where people can’t see me! I feel trapped. Why can’t you just let me have some fun for once?” Everyone’s eyes went back and forth between the two siblings. The situation quickly became awkward. D.O looked to the boys for an answer, but neither of them knew what to do in a situation like that. In the end, he let out a heavy sigh and shook his head.

“Fine. Go ahead and have your fun, but if you get in trouble I won’t help you out this time.” A smile grew on Hanas face at the sound of her brothers’ words. “Fine. I’m a big girl; I can take care of myself.”

D.O just shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. It didn’t look like he had anything else to say. Hana rolled her eyes. “Brothers.”

“Tell me about it.” You said with a smile as you remembered the times when Tao had been a little too protective for your liking. It was a good memory, even though you hated it at the time, now you realized how much you missed his brotherly protection. The kind of protection only a brother could provide.

“Avry, are you alright?” You snapped out of your thoughts and back to reality at the sound of your name. “What? Yeah, I’m just fine. Why?”

“You spaced out. And judging by the look on your face you didn’t enter a happy stream of thoughts where everything was just rainbows and unicorns.” Kira said as she mover next to Hana. Both the girls were standing in front of you, arms crossed over their chests and looking at you with concern.

“Oh, it’s nothing. I just thought about my brother and how we sometimes used to argue about him being too protective.” You said with a weak smile.

The girls nodded a little before Hana clapped her hand together with a smile. “Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go up!” And with that, she happily started to skip upwards towards the top of the hill. The others hesitated a little before Kira rolled her eyes and followed Hana. You shrugged your shoulders and followed Kira, and shortly after the boys came along as well.

You wondered why they were all so hesitant about it. What could be the big deal about a big hill with a top covered with big rocks? What was there to be afraid off? The answer came when you reached the top and peeked over the rocks to the other side.

On the other side of the rockwall, you had a clear view of the landscape on the other side. Tall trees grew there. Not as closely as on the side you were on, but they definitely grew taller. Behind them, you could see the high mountains reaching up and touching the clouds, snow covering the top of them. Bellow you; you had a clear view to a den that looked very much alike the one you lived in at the moment.

You looked at the people that walked around down there. You didn’t recognize any faces. Not that you expected to recognize someone. After all, you only knew a handful of wolves, and they all belonged to the same pack. All except one. Lay. Lay was the only other wolf you knew that didn’t belong to the pack you were currently living with.

Just as you thought about him, your gaze landed upon a young man that walked past one of the campfires below you. You blinked a few time and rubbed your eyes. The man you had seen resembled Lay so much that you actually believed for a second that it was Lay you had seen down there. You looked again, but the man was gone.

“Weird…” You mumbled quietly to yourself, but of course, one of the wolves had to pick it up. What else could you expect when you were with six other people who all had senses sharper than any humans?

“Did you say something?” Kai asked as he crouched down beside you. You shook your head. You hadn’t meant for any of them to hear you. “No, it’s nothing. I was just wandering what this is. Why are we hiding up here?”

“Do you remember when I told you about how we are split up in different packs and how some packs don’t get along very well?” He asked. You nodded. You could remember that day when you had demanded to know why he had abducted you. The day he had shown you the mark on the inside of your wrist. When he had told you about the war between two of the biggest packs in the mightiest wolf clan. How they had fought, and in the end divided the territory in two and become two different packs that was once a family, but now where sworn enemies.

“Well, what you see down there is the other pack. And what we are sitting on right now is the border that divides the territories. This wall used to stretch further, but as the years passed, it broke down from different reasons and the border became unclear. If we’re caught up here, we can be punished for trespassing. Believe me, you don’t want that.”

You nodded in understanding. You had thought the punishments back in the village had been bad, but during the time you had spent together with Kai, Sehun and Chanyeol on the road before you were separated, you had learned that the packs had a lot worse punishments than what you were used to. However, with this explanation thing made more sense. The day you met Lay he had seemed like a friendly person, but Kai had become furious when he found out who Lay was. Later you had found out that Lay belonged to another pack.

“I see. So that’s why you were all so hesitant about coming here. Except Hana, of course.” You looked over at you knew friend. She was chatting silently with Kira a few feet away from you. You couldn’t hear what they were talking about, but you didn’t feel like interfering either. Therefore, you turned your gaze back to the people below you.

Nothing special happened down there, but judging from the giggling you could hear from the two other girls, they were studying some of the boys who played some sort of a wrestling game. Your eyes locked on their game for the next while. You tried to understand the rules and concept of the game. The others seemed to understand it, but for you it was just meaningless fighting to see who was stronger.

Suddenly, the boys stopped wrestling and turned their heads in the same direction. You followed their gazes and saw three new people coming into view, behind them followed to horses. Someone quickly came, took their horses, and led them over to some sort of a waterhole that formed at the bottom of the hill. Your eyes went back to the three boys. You couldn’t make out their faces, but something about them seemed familiar. You squinted your eyes a little in an attempt to see their faces better, but their heads turned towards the arrival of another man. He greeted them and gave the first one a hug. You looked closely at them. It bothered you that you couldn’t see them clearly. That you couldn’t see their faces and put an end to your curiosity.

The one who greeted them pointed towards something behind them and the two unknown persons turned their heads in your direction. Just before you could see their faces, the sound of a rock falling down the hill snapped your eyes towards the no longer giggling girls.

“Ooops.” Hana said before an angry sight came from Sehun.

“You idiot! What if they see us?” This made all of you crouch down behind the rockwall and press your backs against it, hoping that none of you had been seen. “We need to get out of here. Now!”

The others began to move away from the wall as fast as they could, without being seen or making too noise. You were about to follow them, but something made your head turn. As if some strange force were drawing your eyes back to the people on the other side of the wall.

“Avry!” Kais sharp voice snapped you back to reality and you nodded before you hurried after them.

You reached the bottom of the hill and the others turned into their wolf forms. You sat on Kais back on the way back. It was faster and more likely for you to get away without being discovered if they used their wolf forms. You held onto the black fur and lowered your head to protect your face from the wind. All the way back to the den you stayed silent, but the same thought kept on bothering you. The two boys in the den on the other side had reminded you of someone. Someone you knew.

They had reminded you of Tao and Luhan.