20. Making The Grade

A Blank Score ♬♪ [One-Shot Requests]

xXxmani923xXx, your request is done!

I'm still a little fuzzy on iKON (outside of Chan Woo's acting career at least) but I did my best, I hope you like it ^^


 

“No, I won’t do it.” Hyesu whispered. Clearly not happy with that answer Yerin protested “But you need a tutor, and he’s the smartest kid in school. If anyone can stop you flunking its him.” Even though she hated admitting it, it was true she was in dire need of a tutor.

After several deep breaths Hyesu picked up her bag and walked over to Hanbin’s table where he was sitting alone with 3 open textbooks “Hi…” looking up from his calculus formula he muttered “Can I help you?” Seriously beginning to regret her decision she did her best to smile “I would like to ask if you would consider tutoring me.”

Snickering rather loudly he replied with a very condescending tone “Even with the best tutor in the world you wouldn’t pass, I wouldn’t waste my time trying.” As if his comment wasn’t bad enough, Yerin and her gang of followers had decided to tell everyone to listen in and the entire lunch hall was laughing at her. Running out of the hall nearly in tears, Hyesu headed towards the library as fast as her legs would carry her.

As she brushed her cheek with the back of her hand, she turned the page to start the next chapter in her music theory book silently hoping the feeling of shame would fade away soon. “Arranging and composing? It’s a really interesting chapter, I mean it’s nothing on chords and cadences but then again what is?”

Looking up to see Hanbin smiling at her, it was all she could do to mumble “What are you doing here?” as a look of guilt crept onto his face he sighed “I was a jerk to you before and I wanted to apologise…” after several seconds had passed he added “And if you’ll accept it, I’d like to tutor you.”

Not really following what U-turn he’d mentally had she asked “You said I was beyond all hope, why the sudden change of heart?” watching him fidget for about a minute in awkward silence he admitted “I judged you on previous people I’ve attempted to tutor and that’s not fair, you clearly want to learn or you wouldn’t be here so I’m sorry for how I reacted and I want to make amends.”

He seemed to be sincere, but she still felt unsure. As the memory of the lunch hall came back to the front of her mind she mumbled “I’m the laughing stock of the school, do you really want to be seen with me?” Regardless of his reaction and how she felt she knew she couldn’t pass up the offer “Okay… if you’re sincerely offering then I’d really appreciate any help.”

Sitting down across from her with a smile he asked “So what do you play?” as she looked up confused, it dawned on her she was reading a music textbook and blushed “I-I play piano and try to sing…” his interest had suddenly peaked, he leaned on the table and trying to sound casual asked “Do you have you’re project organised yet?”

“No, my focus was surviving next week’s test. If I fail I’m being kicked out.” Hyesu admitted rather reluctantly. Nodding slightly realising he had gotten ahead of himself Hanbin decided he was going to use the test as a gauge on how willing she was to learn.

A week later, Hanbin was waiting in the library for her to find out how her test went. Skipping up to the table wearing the biggest smile, Hyesu fell into the opposite seat “A-! I got an A-, that’s the first grade I’ve ever had above a D!” admittedly surprised by her reaction he smiled “I’m glad you’re happy, I think that’s the first time I’ve ever seen you smile.”

“Thank you, I would never have been able to manage this without you.” She smiled still giddy from the shock. As he scolded himself for finding her reaction rather adorable, he replied “That was only one test, you still have to get through the prelims… thank me if you survive those.”

As her expression fell, he began to feel guilty and quickly tried to lift the mood “But if this is a week’s improvement then with three months you’ll smash it.” glancing up with a look of hope she whispered “So you think I’ll be able to present a project?” with a confident nod he sighed “I’m positive, in fact I’m so sure I want to do a collaboration project.”

Falling into a stunned silence she only just managed to mumble “Are you sure? I’ll drag your grade down…” with the best reassuring smile he could manage Hanbin replied with absolute certainty “Actually I think you would guarantee us both 100%.”

After several months of studying hard, Hyesu surprised herself and her teachers by getting straight A’s in all her prelims. Taking the opportunity to use the empty music department, Hanbin arranged to meet her there. Appearing in the music room to see Hanbin sitting fiddling with a music stand, Hyesu chuckled “Hey… if you want to alter the height you have to turn it the other way.”

Blushing slightly he smiled “O-oh, thanks.” As she walked over to join him, he gestured her to sit at the adjacent piano. Sitting as he asked, Hyesu dropped her bag to the floor not really following what was going on. Finally having the music stand the way he wanted it, Hanbin pulled up another chair and smiled “I know this is a little unexpected, but since we have a week till the holidays and nothing else to be tested on this term maybe we could start working on our project?”

Slightly surprised he still wanted to work with her she mumbled “Are you not getting sick of trying to work with me?”

“Not at all.” He smiled amazing himself with how honest his reply was. After a few second of rather awkward silence he continued “Well, you went from being nearly kicked out of school to ranking 2nd in the whole school. I mean I should be concerned you’re almost going to surpass me but I think we could do something amazing.”

With a grateful smile Hyesu shook her head “You really don’t need to worry about that… but I can’t wait to hear the idea that’s gotten you so excited.” About to go into his bag for something he stopped as if his train of thought had been interrupted “You said you can play piano… you can read sheet music right?”

“Yes, though I learnt to play years before I could read sheet so sometimes I still struggle with chords.” Hyesu mumbled. Nodding slightly as if he understood Hanbin asked tentatively “A-and what is your standing on rap?” perking up a little she smiled “Oh I love it. I can’t rap to save myself but it’s so impressive to be able to drop a beat with lyrics you’re making up as you go. It’s a really underrated form of poetry.”

A sigh of relief escaped as he chuckled “I’m so glad you said that, because no one else in this whole school agrees with you.” Realising what he meant she hummed “Oh, you’re a rapper, that’s awesome!”

Giving her a warm smile Hanbin produced a set of sheet music and sat it on his knee “You have no idea how glad I am to heat you say that, because it’s actually part of my idea. I was hoping to hijack your talent tickling the ivories and that magical voice of yours... in the nicest possible way.”

Blinking back at him confused she blurted out the first thing that came into her head “Okay Ursula, please explain more before I sign anything.” Beginning to sweat a little he realised that may not have been the best way to phrase it “I just meant if you play the piano piece and did maybe like sang a little it could be an interesting like classical rap collaboration.”

After several hours working on the piece, they were at a place where they were both happy with what they were doing. Catching the time, Hyesu needed to head home so made her excuses and left. As he was packing everything away, Hanbin found Hyesu’s purse and decided that he was going to try and return it to her before she left. Finding her at the entrance to the school, he was about to approach her when Yerin pushed her into the wall.

“Hey! What did I tell you about not studying with Hanbin anymore? He’s too good for you, you’re not worth his time.” Yerin spat. Watching as she raised her fist Hyesu braced herself for the hit. Waiting several seconds and feeling nothing, she slowly opened an eye to see Hanbin had grabbed Yerin’s fist to stop the punch.

“How dare you. How dare you take it upon yourself to decide who is or is not good enough for me? You’re supposed to be her friend and you bully her? You disgust me. Don’t ever hurt her again or you’ll have me to deal with…”

As she watched Yerin and her gang run away, Hyesu found herself turning a soft pink “Thank you. No one’s ever stood up for me before.” Turning round with a comforting smile, Hanbin gently brushed her hair back and whispered “I’m so sorry, if I’d know they were treating you like that I’d have done something sooner.” Quickly turning a deeper pink she mumbled “Really? Why?”

“Because you are the most wonderful person and you shouldn’t have to deal with people like that. I can’t believe how I used to treat you and after seeing that just makes me feel disgusting that I was one of the people who made your life worse.” As he began to ramble with an unjust sense of guilt, Hyesu smiled as she locked her arms around his ribs “I don’t blame you for that, I was just a failing student why would you have cared.”

Nearly making himself cry at the thought of how he has act he planted a kiss on her forehead “From now on I’m going to make sure that you’re safe, I just want to make you happy Hyesu…” as she found herself turning an even darker shade of pink that she didn’t think was humanly possible and whispered “I like you too…”