14. Katie

A Blank Score ♬♪ [One-Shot Requests]

Taemins_LittleNoona, your request is done! ^^

There was quite a lot to fit into this request so I hope I did it justice and I really hope you like it. 


 

“Laura! We’re going to be late!” Jonghyun yelled tapping his foot impatiently. Grabbing her jacket from the couch she sighed “You really don’t have to come oppa, you should be able to relax on your time off.” Unable to help smiling as he placed a kiss on her forehead, she tried to hide her blush as he took her hand “Oh yes I do, I’m not letting you go through this by yourself.”

Several hours later after she had an Echo, EKG and had the wires hooked up for the holter monitor the doctor returned “Well Miss Lu it looks like everything its fine but we shall see what the holter monitor tells us. Now remember to keep an accurate diary and avoid electric blankets and magnets and we’ll see you in 48 hours.”

Breathing a sigh of relief as the doctor left the room, Laura slowly loosened her grip on Jonghyun’s hand “Oh… I’m sorry I crushed your hand oppa, are you okay?” sensing him wince as it seemed she had at one point dug her nails into his hand, she smiled sheepishly as she stood up “It’s fine, as long as you make it through the EKG I can deal with a few nail marks.”

“You’re too kind oppa, thanks for coming with me.” Placing a kiss on his cheek before going to collect her jacket and bag, a voice from outside made them both stop “Doctor, are you sure you want to let her leave? The test results show an abnormality and…”

“I discussed it with the heart surgeon and we both agree that it’s fine to see what the holter shows us. If you have a problem with our decision, raise it with her since you’re her assistant?”

After hearing two sets of footsteps heading in opposite directions, Laura glanced up at Jonghyun “Oppa… what’s wrong?” noticing that his expression was worrying her, he quickly forced a smile “Nothing sweetie. Come on, let’s go.”

Heading back to the dorm in silence, neither wanted to admit that what the assistant had said concerned them. Once they had pulled up outside a shared glance made them decide to put on a good face before going in so as not to concern the other members. Opening the door to the dorm, they were greeted by Minho holding Key in a headlock arguing with Onew who was holding Taemin in a headlock as Key and Taemin were quietly complaining to each other.

Standing just inside the door for several minutes not sure how to process the situation they both shared a look of confusion as Taemin smiled “Hey guys, welcome back! How did it go?” watching as Key and Taemin where quickly dropped causing them both to hit the floor with out loud thud Jonghyun jokingly said “See now this is the other reason I wanted to go with you, there’s only so much of their weirdness I can take.” As she gave him a playful nudge Laura asked “So… what were the headlocks about?”

“They… are an in joke.” Onew mumbled rather unconvincingly. Nodding slightly Laura knew to leave it there. After several awkward seconds Jonghyun took her hand and headed over to the sofa and turned the TV on. Turning the volume up to hear it over the restarted argument, Jonghyun headed into the kitchen as she sat down. As she leaned back against the cushion a feeling of nausea began to sweep over her and her hands began to tremble. A tightness spread across her chest as her breathing quickened and a look of panic became etched on her face.

Placing two glasses down on the table, Jonghyun turned round and seeing Laura’s reaction instantly fell to the floor in front of her “Oh my god, sweetie I’m right here you’re going to be fine. Just take deep breathes and it’ll be over soon.” Taking her hand and talking to her to try and calm her down, he couldn’t hide his relief as her breathing returned to normal.

Sitting next to her on the sofa and holding her close, Jonghyun placed a kiss on her forehead “Are you okay now?” As she nodded her head exhausted, Laura leaned against his shoulder grateful for his support. After several minutes had passed and he was happy that the attack was definitely over, Jonghyun ducked into the kitchen and returned with a silver dish in two spoons. Looking up at him confused, Laura blinked not realising what it was.

As he sat down next to her, Jonghyun handed her a spoon as he lowered the dish to reveal a coconut cream pie. Quietly flicking channels until he found the Tinkerbell movie she loved so much, he pulled her close and held her tight until eventually they both fell asleep.

Waking up early that morning, Taemin fell out of bed and began heading out their room to get a glass of water but never made it past the door. Seeing Jonghyun and Laura happily curled up on the couch fast asleep Taemin felt a sharp pain spread through his chest. After a few deep breaths he closed the door and turned back into the room where he saw a peacefully sleeping Minho.

Crouching down beside Minho’s bed, Taemin gently shook him and whispered “Hyung… hyung, I-I had a bad dream.” As he did what he could not to show that he was lying, he put on his best upset look as Minho slowly opened his eyes “Aw Taemin, it’s okay it was just a dream.” Sensing Minho just wanted to go back to sleep, Taemin felt no guilt as he tried to bait him “Hyung I’m scared, can I sleep with you?”

“Y-you want to…” as Minho sat up suddenly wide awake, Taemin sat on the bed next to him and took his hand “Please hyung? I always feel so safe around you and the bed’s more than big enough for both of us… you wouldn’t leave me unable to get back to sleep hyung, would you?” knowing this would work, Taemin continued to test his acting seeing if he could successfully sell his lie. After several seconds of silence Minho mumbled “Okay, you can sleep here.”

Forgetting for a moment that it was an act Taemin hugged Minho tightly “Thank you!” lying down next to Minho but turning his back on him, Taemin tried not to jump as he found an arm sliding around his waist. Immediately pretending to be asleep, he almost regretted using Minho to hide from his feelings. After what seemed like an hour Taemin was about to genuinely fall asleep when he noticed where Minho’s hand was. Trying desperately not to react as Minho began tracing his abs, a feeling of terror spread through him as his hyung’s hand slide south. Silently grateful that his hand stopped at his hips, Taemin felt himself turn pink as Minho whispered “Taemin… I love you.”

Though he couldn’t return his feelings, Taemin couldn’t deny there was something nice about the notion of someone caring that much about him… even if their hand was a little too low his liking.

Waking up to the harsh morning sunlight, Jonghyun groaned as he wished he’d shut the curtains the night before. Sitting up to allow the feeling to return to his lower back, he turned to see if he’d woken Laura up. A grateful sigh escaped as he realised he hadn’t, Jonghyun smiled as he decided he didn’t want her to suffer the same numb fate. Carefully picking her up he carried her into his room and trying not to hit Taemin in the process put her down on his bed and pulled the duvet over her before getting ready to leave for his day’s filming.

Waking up some time later to see Key half fallen out of his bed, Laura sat up dazed. As she was getting her head round the fact she wasn’t on the sofa anymore, Key woke up and clearly surprised to see Laura in Jonghyun’s bed completed the fall to the floor. Upon hearing the loud thud, Taemin jumped straight out of Minho’s arms and fell back first onto the floor landing with his head in Key’s lap. Watching quietly as Taemin stared straight up at Key with a look or sheer terror, it was all she could do not to question the reaction as Taemin whispered “Please don’t tell Onew.”

Trying to hide her surprise as Minho grabbed Taemin and quickly pulled him back onto his bed wrapping his arms around him protectively, Laura pretended not to have seen anything as the three of them looked at her like they had just noticed she was there. Before anyone could say anything, Onew swung the door open “Alright get u-oh you’re all awake… Key, why are you on the floor?”

Watching him blink blankly up at Onew, Laura interrupted “It’s my fault oppa, he was surprised to see me and misjudged where the edge of the bed was because of that.” Slightly surprised to see Onew smile, they all waited to see what was going on “It’s not your fault, he sleeps weird to begin with and Jonghyun brought you in this morning and didn’t tell them so it’s kind of his fault.”

“Hyung, where is Jonghyun?” Taemin mumbled trying desperately not to fall asleep on Minho’s shoulder. Unable to help smiling as Taemin sleepily nuzzled into Minho’s neck, Onew almost forgot to answer “Aw you’re so cute when you’re tired, like a little puppy! And even cuter being curled up in Minho’s arms and… you asked me a question, um Jonghyun is taking part in a new TV show and will be away until tomorrow night.”

“T-tomorrow night?” Laura stuttered. Realising that he had caused some concern Onew quickly tried to put her at ease “Oh no don’t worry, he’ll be back in time to go to the hospital with you. And Taemin and Minho will be here to make sure you’re okay tonight.”

“And I’m going to make you the most amazing breakfast, we wouldn’t want you to have to suffer Minho’s cooking.” Key joked, ducking out the way of a pillow Minho had thrown across the room. Smiling happily Laura hummed “Oppa, will you really make breakfast for me?”

“Of course, you’re part of the family now and we take care of each other.” Key said as he stood up to head into the kitchen. Watching as Onew left with him, Laura turned to Minho and batting her eyelashes sweetly asked “If I’m part of the family does that mean you’ll tell me what yesterday was about?” glancing at Taemin, Minho shook his head “I’m sorry, it’s not our place to say unfortunately.”

Nodding slightly to show that she understood, Laura finally took in the view in front of her “You know Onew was right, he really is like a puppy when he’s sleepy.” Noticing that Taemin had fallen asleep on his shoulder Minho nodded “It’s one of the few times he’s not being awkward.”

Feeling like she was almost intruding, Laura stood up and quickly left the room to see what breakfast would be. Skipping into the kitchen, she almost fell over laughing. Greeted with the image of Onew stumbling backwards and falling into the sink whilst getting his foot stuck in the handle for the cupboard directly above him, Laura couldn’t help but laugh as his almost anime expression.

“Oppa, are you alright?” she asked trying very hard to stop laughing. Watching him nod as he tried to free his foot, Laura helped him remove it from the door and pulled him out of the sink. As he slowly began to regain feeling in his legs, Onew hung his head to hide his embarrassment “Thanks for helping me up.”

“What exactly happened?” Laura mumbled noticing Key hadn’t acknowledged anything yet. Catching Onew turn a deep fuchsia, she pressed “Key oppa, what happened?” rather surprised to see Key glare at Onew before turning to face her, she couldn’t help feeling his smile was forced “Oh nothing, he just needs to learn to be more careful. If you want to watch the end of your movie I’ll bring your breakfast into you.”

“Thank you oppa.” Laura hummed plating a kiss on his cheek before turning to leave the kitchen. Glancing back, she caught Onew wrapping his arms around Key’s waist as he mumbled “Are you made at me for thinking you have a cute ?”

“Think what you want just don’t grab it while I’m preparing food! I’d like to keep my fingers…” not hearing how that conversation ended as she made her way to the sofa, Laura turned the TV on and found the film exactly where she last remembered it. Realising that Jonghyun must have paused it when she fell asleep, she smiled and wished he could be there to watch it with her.

“TAEMIN! MINHO! BREAKFAST!” Key bellowed causing Laura to jump. Gratefully accepting the bowl being handed to her, she smiled “Mmm, seaweed soup. Thank you oppa!” as she began eating her breakfast a rather grouchy Minho appeared with a still sleeping Taemin on his back. Dropping him in the sofa next to her, Minho softened his expression as he said “Could you see if you can wake him, he won’t listen to me.”

As Minho went to collect their food, a sleepy Taemin opened his eyes and was met with Key and Onew putting their shoes on. Smiling rather sweetly as he crossed his legs, a still half asleep Taemin hummed as he waved “Bye-bye umma! Bye appa!”

Watching the childlike glee appear in Taemin’s smile as this was not received well, he swayed happily like it had the desired effect. While she tried to fish some of the seaweed out of the bowl, Minho returned and placed Taemin’s breakfast in-front of him “Thank you hyung.”

“Don’t thank me, Key made it.” Minho shrugged. Turning a soft pink Taemin stuttered “I-I meant for earlier hyung…” sharing a smile, Minho awkwardly tried to change the subject “So Laura, what are your plans for today?” sitting down her now empty bowl she sighed “I don’t really know, I was supposed to be playing trivial pursuit with Jonghyun but if he’s filming today…”

“I’ll play with you Laura!” Taemin smiled with his chopsticks stuck in his mouth like fangs. Staring for a moment before laughing hysterically, Laura tried very hard not to fall off the sofa “Just… why?” failing to stop laughing as he began pulling faces Laura playfully nudged him “Oppa! You’re so weird!”

“Oh you have no idea.” Minho muttered staring into his bowl. Trying to hide how much that comment hurt Taemin pouted “Hyung mean.” Not entirely understanding Minho’s reaction, she was confused when he abruptly stood up “I need to go pick up this week’s groceries, I’ll be back soon.”

“Oppa… is Minho alright?” she asked with an obvious tone of concern. After squirming for several seconds, Taemin bounded up and picked up the trivial pursuit box “How about the Disney version?” staring blankly for a moment Laura nodded not sure why they were all so keen to change the subject today. As Taemin began unfolding the board, she tried to ask as delicately as she could “Oppa, are Onew and Key working today?”

“Well…” with a heavy sigh Taemin gave up “That’s what Onew said but I’m not so sure.”

“Do you think it’s a date?” she asked slightly more bluntly than she had meant to. Trying to gauge Taemin’s reaction as he turned to face her eyes wide with shock he whispered “You know?”

Smiling with a soft laugh Laura nodded “Well you didn’t exactly hide it, between your ‘in joke’ yesterday and what happened this morning it was fairly blatant.” Watching him replay both events in his head, he couldn’t really argue. Sitting in silence for several minutes, Laura tentatively asked “So… why did you ask Key not to tell Onew you fell?”

Sensing him tense up again, she slid up beside him and placed a hand on his arm “Oppa, whatever you tell me I won’t repeat it. You can trust me.”

“I didn’t ask him not to tell Onew I fell, I asked him not to tell Onew that I fell on him…” Taemin mumbled. Trying to follow that and failing, her expression must have gave her away as Taemin explained “Onew is very protective of Key… well I mean he’s protective of all of us but more so of Key since they started dating. It’s almost like he sees us as a threat which is ridiculous, we love him we’d never do anything that would jeopardise his happiness or their relationship.”

Sensing the irony in his own words but choosing to ignore them, Taemin rested his head on her shoulder “Do you think he’ll ever be able to trust us like he used to do?”

“Taemin he does trust you, I’m sure there’s another perfectly logical explanation for why he’s acting the way he is.” Laura replied trying to sound reassuring. Wanting to take advantage of the fact they were alone in the dorm, Taemin decided since the conversation they were having he would try his luck “Laura… what would you do if someone other than Jonghyun liked you?”

After several minutes of silence Taemin looked up to see if she’d actually heard the question. Hearing the door open as he turned to face her properly, a tone of panic rang in his voice as he screamed “MINHO HYUNG!”

Dropping the groceries with a loud thud and running to the living room, Minho almost couldn’t process the scene in front of him. Seeing a now rather blue Laura and a very panicked Taemin trying to help, Minho grabbed his shoulders and trying to remain calm said “Help me get her to the car.”

Sitting in the waiting area while Taemin paced the corridor anxiously, Minho waited for Onew, Key and Jonghyun to arrive. Standing up to greet Onew and Key as they entered and began filling them in when Jonghyun ran in. As he ran past Minho grabbed him and tried desperately to hold him back “Hyung you can’t go in, you have to wait out here!”

Just as Jonghyun was beginning to calm down, the doors behind them opened and the assistant from the previous visit walked through.

“You!” Jonghyun spat before trying to grab him. Still attempting to hold Jonghyun back, even with Key and Onew’s help they almost couldn’t hold him back. Since he was unable get hold of the assistant Jonghyun yelled “It’s your fault! She’s back in here today because of you and your big mouth! She would have been fine if you’d just kept you mouth shut!”

Watching him stumble away, Jonghyun broke down and fell to the floor a sobbing mess “I shouldn’t have gone in today…” beginning to feel bad for Jonghyun, Taemin wondered what the assistant had done to get that response out of him.

After several hours had passed everyone was just about ready to fall asleep when Onew mumbled “Okay we don’t know how much longer we’ll have to wait here, why don’t we get something to eat… give us something to occupy ourselves for a while and break up the wait.” Gaining a few nods in agreement, Taemin piped up “You guys go. I’ll wait here in case there’s an update.”

“Are you sure Taemin?” mumbled Jonghyun rather surprised. Nodding slightly Taemin smiled “Yeah I’m sure, you guys go get something to eat I’ll let you know if anything comes up.”

Half an hour later just as he was beginning to drift off, the door opened and a soft voice whispered “Are you with Laura?” instantly wide awake Taemin nodded hoping for good news “She’s been moved to recovery, you can go and see her now.”

Jumping up, Taemin followed the nurse to her room but stopped just outside the door. Taking his phone out in a move that proved he hated himself sent a text to Jonghyun telling him that Laura was out of surgery. Hitting send as he walked in, her warm smile could have fooled anyone into thinking nothing was wrong with her.

Walking to her side to meet her outreached hand, Taemin smiled as she whispered “Oppa… before, what were you trying to say?” his heart beat ringing in his ears, Taemin surprised himself as the words he’d been hiding for so long just poured out “I know you’re seeing Jonghyun but I really like you, I have ever since Jonghyun first introduced you to us and I can’t hide it any longer.” Immediately feeling disheartened as her expression fell, he could almost have guessed her exact words “Oppa, I’m sorry but I love Jonghyun. Please… promise things won’t be weird between us.”

Stopping mid-sentence as Jonghyun walked in, she smiled brightly as she welcomed the hug he was offering “I’m so glad you’re okay, you scared me!” turning a soft pink, Laura replied “I’m sorry oppa, I didn’t mean to scare you… hey shouldn’t you be filming right now?” as his gaze dropped to the floor, it was hard not to find him adorable as he mumbled “Yeah… about that… I may have been fired.”

Everyone now staring at him in shock, he spluttered “Well I did run off set mid-shoot, what did you expect them to do?” turning an even darker shade of pink Laura whispered “You did that for me?” before he could reply, the doctor from the previous day walked in “Well Miss Lu, it seems like you’ve had quite the day. The results have come back and it’s nothing serious, we’ve also took the information from your holter and you’re absolutely fine. You can be discharged whenever you’re ready.”

As the whole room breathed a sigh of relief, they stepped outside to let her get dressed in privacy. Once outside, Onew glanced between the members and almost whispered “There’s too many of us for one car, what are we going to do?”

“Minho hyung, can I head back with you?” Taemin smiled. Trying not to look surprised Minho mumbled “Um… yeah, sure.” Before anyone else could say anything, Laura appeared and took Jonghyun’s hand. As they waited for the doctor to return with the discharge papers, Jonghyun sighed “Since you two are heading back in a different car why don’t you just head back, no point in us all sitting here.”

“We’ll put dinner on so it’s ready for you coming home.” Minho smiled as he grabbed Taemin’s wrist and headed out the hospital. Heading straight to his car, Minho walked straight up to the door and pushed Taemin against it “Okay why did you want to come with me?” taking a deep breath, Taemin stood on his toes to match Minho’s height and losing his eyes pulled the elder into a kiss “I just wanted to spend some time alone with you hyung.”

Turning into a stuttering mess Minho blushed “B-but you… when I… I-I-I didn’t t-think you…” finding the normally cool Minho’s reaction rather adorable, Taemin smiled “Well you are amazing hyung, I’d have to be a fool not to give this a chance.” Heading back to the dorm a comfortable silence, they happily began making a very special dinner as the others returned.

Glad to finally be out of the hospital, Laura kicked her shoes off and was about to head into the living room when Jonghyun stopped her “Please just stay here for a moment.” Standing where he asked, it was all she could do not to show her confusion as he glanced at the clock and ran into his room falling over Taemin’s bed in the process. Re-appearing several minutes later with a pink box with a white satin ribbon wrapped around it, Jonghyun smiled as he handed it to her “Happy birthday sweetie.”

Carefully opening the box still slightly confused, the contents before her made her gasp “I-is that… Katie by Ashton-Drake?” nodding excitedly, Jonghyun hummed “I know you’ve been looking for it for ages so I thought I’d get it for you.” Wrapping her arms around him tightly she squealed “Oh oppa I love it! Thank you so much, she’s perfect!”

Taking another look at the doll the look of confusion began creeping back onto her face “W-why is she holding a box.” Taking the box from the doll, Jonghyun sank to one knee as he opened it to show a flawless white gold diamond ring “Laura, will you marry me?”

“…Yes!”